Patricia Brent, spinster

Patricia Brent, spinster

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  32 reviews
General Books publication date: 2009 Original publication date: 1918 Original Publisher: A.L. Burt Subjects: Fiction / Classics Fiction / Literary Fiction / Mystery
Audiobook
Published August 12th 2008 by LibriVox (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Patricia Brent, spinster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patricia Brent, spinster

Jacob Proffitt
I enjoyed this book a great deal despite it showing its age occasionally. Written in 1918, it's the story of a woman well on the road to spinsterhood who steps off that road in a fit of pique and catches the eye of a wonderful young man who has a hard time taking no for an answer. The story is charming and the characters are fun and dynamic (if somewhat idealized in a British classist kind of way).

While I had a good time with the book, some markers of the era are telling and a little off-putting...more
Ali
Every now and then a book comes along that is s true surprise and joy. A book you want to tell everyone about, Patricia Brent, Spinster is such a one for me. I really shouldn’t have been surprised that this was such a delight, having first heard about it from Stuckinabook and immediately going in search of a copy of it. I was delighted therefore, when my cheap, ex-library edition from Abebooks turned out to have such an attractive 1970’s dust jacket.
Living the shabbily genteel existence of a pa...more
Alisha
I couldn’t help but make connections between this Lord Peter and the more famous one created by Dorothy Sayers. The comparisons were entirely favorable. Intelligent, kind, persistent, recognized as “different” by other members of their class…these were some of the qualities that the two Peters share.

This book is set during World War I in London. Interestingly enough, the war doesn’t figure too much into the story, except when it makes a “guest appearance” near the end.

Patricia lives at a boardin...more
Dorian
This is a light, fluffy, and very enjoyable read.

It is 1918 in London. Patricia Brent is, as the title says, a spinster. She lives in a dismal boarding house and works as secretary to a would-be rising politician. And one evening, when she overhears some of the other boarders pitying her for her manless state, she has had enough. She invents a fiancé. And then she goes out, supposedly to dinner with him - but the said boarders follow her to get a look at him. What's a girl to do? Why, bounce up...more
Becky
This book was recently recommended to an audience at-large on the Librivox forums, and after reading a brief description it sounded exactly like the sort of story I wanted to cushion between Middle March and Wives and Daughters chapters. Something a little light, happy ending, and nice between heavier, headier works.

It was perfect. The side characters are fantastically charming, Patricia Brent is mesmerizing and entirely frusterating, and you just can’t help but to get completely wrapped up in t...more
Annie
When I had no kids and more free time I used to record audiobooks for LibriVox.org and this is a book someone else recorded that I came across at that time. It seems to be very rare in actual book form but you can get it in eBook form or listen to it for free quite easily. In any case, my husband and I fell in love with the audio version recorded by Anna Simon for LibriVox and it is our go-to listening for car trips.
The story takes place in 1918 London where young Patricia Brent lives in a boar...more
Marsar
"Happiness is not a thing to be taken lightly"

Let me get this straight! There are many things that can be argued against this little book. It's poorly written -there's only a certain amount of adverbs one can take at once-, shallow, trite, and even a little misogynistic.

And yet, I must admit it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. The fine irony permeating the whole thing and the endearingly silly characters make up for all the weaknesses this novel might have.

All in all, Patricia Brent, Spinster i...more
Ilaria
Bellissimo, magnifico e brillante libro!
L’ho adorato con tutta me stessa e adoro l’autore, peccato solo che in tutta la sua vita abbia scritto solo due romanzi, di cui solo questo edito in Italia.
Divertente, umoristico, intelligente e geniale! Non posso fare altro che descriverlo con tutti gli aggettivi positivi che mi vengono in mente! Sarà pure che sono una romanticona, ma storie del genere mi mandano in brodo di giuggiole!
Conoscevo questo libro già da qualche annetto e cercavo da tempo di ave...more
Harini Srinivasan
I inherited this old, worm-holey book from an aunt, and thought I should give it a chance because, after all, the author did publish Wodehouse! Set in the same period as the early Wodehouses, its characters are recognizably 1920s in their way of relating to the world and to each other. But unlike Wodehouse, it is dated by its superior-but-indulgent view of women -- the 'Women never really say what they mean', 'There, there, little woman' kind of remarks. If you can manage to set that aside, an e...more
Sara
Per convincervi - se mai siete venuti a conoscenza della tal teoria - che per far innamorare qualcuno lo si debba prendere a pesci in faccia. Non è una commedia alla Wilde, come si legge nel risvolto di copertina, non c'è l'arguzia e neppure una briciolina dell'umorismo del grande autore - si tratta semplicemente di un affresco un po' banale della società borghese e mezzo nobile della Londra primi Novecento. Patricia-la-segretaria-orfana è simpatica giusto le prime due pagine, ovvero da zitella,...more
Eccentrika
"Patricia Brent, zitella" è una di quelle commedie deliziose, rilassanti, che vorresti non finissero mai. La trama è semplice, lineare, ma immensamente piacevole. Patricia è una giovane donna dei primi del novecento, risoluta, indipendente e perfettamente in linea con le tendenze di emancipazione femminile di quegli anni. Tuttavia intorno a lei si respira ancora aria di romanticismo ottocentesco e il pensiero prevalente della società è ancora con lo sguardo rivolto al passato. Sarà solo per la s...more
Melissa
This is the story of a girl in WWI London who asks a stranger to play the part of her fiance for one evening so that her nosy, catty, gossipy boarding-house neighbors will stop making disparaging remarks about her single state. Except, the stranger ends up liking her and decides to bring the charade to pass. There are some great characters, but in such a short book, they’re not fleshed out much. But it’s a funny, enjoyable read. In some ways it reminds me of the eccentric characters of Anne of G...more
Roberta Emerson
Reminiscent of Oscar Wilde's social satires, this delightful gem takes place in WWI England and was published in 1918. It's a freebie from Amazon and right up there with Downton Abby and Upstairs/downstairs in the glimpse of society and convention. Just plain fun for a Sunday afternoon.
Aishwarya
My feelings about the book: "At first, Aishwarya was amused: but as the book dragged wearily on, amusement turned into torture."

P.S - Sorry to steal your line, Herbert.
Andrea Stoeckel
This is a great look at Britian and British mores during WW1. Patricia Brent, a 24 year old single secretary living in a residential hotel with a lot of eccentrics, decides she's tired of being "dull"(others call her "lonely" and sets out to do something about it, albeit in a very convoluted way. It's kind if a twust on the happily ever after story that majes you care what happens.

This is a very very good book, even with the software (non OCR) glitches that had me using the search for page tool...more
Kris Turner
Vibrant characters, a silly tumble of misadventures, and, of course, the meet-cute playing out as it ought. :) Loved it.
Susan
Irritated by nosy neighbors at her boarding house, Patricia invents an engagement and dinner out with her fiancée. When the nosy neighbors follow her to the restaurant, she desperately asks a stranger to help her fool them. This promising beginning for a comic romp disintegrates too soon, and the characters' actions strain belief so far, this reader lost interest.
Zeta T.
Really enjoyed this! I didn't realize it was 1918, and I'd already visualized everyone in Victorian garb... so as I, personally, kept going, not wanting to re-cast or re-clothe everyone in my head I just threw it into steampunk to make up for so very many telephone calls and automotive drives. It's a good imagining that way.

One star is off b/c I think the protagonist could have been a little less annoying. It was all about yes or no, rather than, "Hmm, maybe I could get to know you, first."
Giornata_di_sole
Commedia brillante e ricca di equivoci che nonostante l’anno di pubblicazione (1918) non ha perso il suo smalto.
Ci sono scene divertenti, dialoghi frizzanti e le descrizioni sono precise e curate…La vicenda e’ movimentata da vari personaggi, simpatici, bizzarri, pettegoli, come gli abitanti della Galvin House che vivono di pettegolezzi e si intromettono nella vita degli altri con i loro pareri e consigli non richiesti…
Romantico e divertente romanzo scritto con il tipico umorismo inglese!
Cori
I loved this book ... even though Patricia is a dreadfully annoying person at times, I mostly could relate to her pride and angst at the way that a simple lie begets a whole nest of complication.

A fun romance, even though it's set against the Great War in London, with many little hints of how hard that must have been dotted throughout. Well-read by Anna Simon and very well-worth a listen.

Angie Bates
This author reminds of P.G. Wodehouse. The book was silly, far-fetched and fun.
Tasha
Fun book. Definitely recommend it if you're a fan of Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.
Ffiamma
libro garbato e pieno di brio e humor su una giovane indipendente che, suo malgrado, incontra l'amore (anche se fa di tutto per reprimerlo e allontanarlo). storia prevedibile ma dialoghi frizzanti, un pizzico di veleno contro la borghesia perbenista e le stranezze della nobiltà, sapiente bilanciamento tra romanticismo e commedia degli equivoci.
gradevole riscoperta, questo romanzo del 1917, perfetto per l'estate.
Vivianne
Elegant, polite, fluide, ironic, soooo english (excuse me, british, of course). Something strange in the woods of similiar book, a comedy set in the world 2nd war, an old story better than the new!! Very good reads girls!!
Danielle
What a fun book! It should be more well known. Super fun romance with some great quirky characters including Miss Brent who gets herself into a mess just to show the catty gossips that she doesn't need their pity.
Michele
Cute but predictable. Would make a great romantic comedy. Reese Witherspoon or Renee Zellweger for Patricia, Brad Pitt for the officer who saves her from the embarrassment of Singleton-ness.
Karen
This book surprised me by how witty, funny, and contemporary it was. Definitely had "Gilmore Girls" brand of humor with all the eloquence of an early twentieth century novel.
Sylvester
Absolute fluff. A thumb-twiddler. Soooo predictable. Didn't *hate* it, but felt the tedium strongly.
Msgadget
Love it love this book, I could believe in each character enjoyed so much I read this book twice.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Herbert George Jenkins (1876 – 8 June 1923) was a British writer and the owner of the publishing company Herbert Jenkins Ltd. which published many of P.G. Wodehouse's novels.
More about Herbert George Jenkins...
Malcolm Sage, Detective The Return of Alfred The Rain-Girl: A Romance of Today (1919) Bindle Some Chapters in the Life of Joseph Bindle Mrs. Bindle (Dodo Press)