Mixed Messages

Mixed Messages

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It’s estimated that there are at least twenty to thirty active serial killers in the United States at any given time. There’s one on the loose on the west side of Cincinnati.

It’s the week of Halloween and Ann Kern struggles with several issues. Her primary concern is her marriage which, like her west side neighborhood, is in jeopardy. Her husband is drinking heavily and hi...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Post Mortem Press (first published April 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mixed Messages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed Messages

Marja McGraw
Mixed Messages by Patricia Gligor held my attention from beginning to end.

Ann Kern is having major marital problems, and she doesn’t feel like there’s anyone she can turn to. Her husband is drinking heavily, disappearing for hours at a time, and his attitude toward her has changed. Her once loving husband is cold and distant, and he can be cruel at times. Ann takes a job at the local church in the hopes that the extra income might help alleviate the problems.

In the meantime, it’s Halloween week...more
J.R.
Ann Kern’s life is in turmoil. Her husband is drinking, acting erratically and staying out late. On top of that there’s the stress of caring for two active children, dealing with an obnoxious mother-in-law and beginning a new job with an employer who holds a grudge against her family.

Her life is in turmoil. And it’s about to get worse.

There’s a serial killer stalking the neighborhood and Ann is getting odd messages that make her suspect she could be targeted as his next victim.

Ann’s imagination...more
Susan Furlong-Bolliger
The residents of a Cincinnati neighborhood are being stalked by a serial killer and Ann Kern fears she’s the killer’s next victim … and so did I as I raced through this book to reach the breathtaking conclusion!

MIXED MESSAGES presents tightly spun plot with fascinating characters and on-the-edge of your seat scenes. The author wrote with alternating point of views which allowed me a peek into the minds of several characters—Ann’s abusive husband, a slightly deranged neighbor, a gold-digging psy...more
Alan Zacher
As I read a piece of fiction, I’m always looking for the “elements of fiction” in it—storyline, character development, conflict, climatic arc and on and on. Author Patricia Gligor passes the test on all of these with flying colors in “Mixed Messages.” I was particularly impressed with the character development of the main character of the story, Ann Kern: A very likeable, yet complex, fully-developed character of fiction.
I have heard it said that when Stephen King writes a story, he throws ou...more
Jacqueline Seewald
Fans of Mary Higgins Clark will greet this novel with enthusiasm. Like Clark in her early classic mystery/suspense novel A Stranger Is Watching, Gilgor creates a frightening world for a sympathetic protagonist. Ann Kern, loving wife and mother, is surrounded by threats. Her husband, an alcoholic and a gambler, is emotionally unstable. There is also a serial killer on the prowl on the west side of Cincinnati and it appears that Ann is intended to be his next victim. There are a number of possible...more
Llona Cunningham
Mixed Messages is a serious Mainstream story more than a mystery. The author has used multiple POVs to give backstory working its way to the main character, Ann, showing the troubled marriage and her husband's mental problems that go back to his childhood. Behind all that, a serial killer is loose in the proximity and leaving messages that make Ann wonder if she is the next intended victim. There are times when the multi-POVs threaten to hijack the plot, and a few times when too many depressing...more
Eadie
MIXED MESSAGES is a fast-paced Halloween mystery perfect for this time of year. I found the characters to be well developed and quite interesting. The story held my attention right down to the last page. I'm looking forward to reading the next Malone Mystery. So, when you feel you need a break from those hard-core suspense thriller, be sure to pick up MIXED MESSAGES for a quick, enjoyable read!
Evelyn
Patricia has crafted a unique mystery. Being a mystery lover, I've read a lot of them, but I've never read one quite like this. Her character development is superb. Without giving anything away, let me just say that I would have never guessed who the murderer was. Great job, Patricia. I just bought, Unfinished Business, because I have got to find out what happens next.
Marguerite Czajka
This was portrayed as a mystery, if that's what you're looking for, this book may not be for you. The mystery - serial killings - is really a subplot. I enjoyed the storyline, even though it wrapped up a little too neatly. A lot of the writing covered what was going on in the characters' heads, which would describe what was going on according to each.
Alexis
Passionately written, you can tell Gligor has personal experiences tied into the writing of this novel in parts. Another Cincinnati author, this book takes place in Cincinnati too which made it a treat for someone from Cincinnati to read. Writing style is good. Recommend giving her a try.
Elizabeth
This was a fun read, and a good choice for October, as the events take place in the days before Halloween. I was drawn to the protagonist and particularly enjoyed the dialogue and the descriptions of this area of the U.S. that I have never visited.

I came into it expecting something different--I think because the phrase "serial killer" evokes pretty powerful imagery. Truth be told, the story was much more about relationships, dealing with past grief, and alcoholism. The serial killer story line w...more
Melody
nice read
Heidi
Mixed Messages has a decent plot. A serial killer is loose in cincinnati. The central character is Ann, a housewife trying to hold her family together. Her husband has been acting strange, has anger issues, and his mother thinks he is perfect. There is a vast cast of secondary characters. The landlady, her misfit son, a local priest, a psychologist, a scam psychic. And we learn all of their sordid stories, ad nauseum. Every page is filled with backstory and very little real interaction occurs. N...more
Ellon
I won Gligor's second novel, Unfinished Business in a first-read giveaway. Even though it said that the novel is a stand-alone, I wanted to read Mixed Messages before I started Unfinished Business.

I enjoy reading mystery books but I don't normally pick them for myself. I end up reading them for a book club or when other people recommend them. I did enjoy reading this mystery.

The book was well-paced. Gligor made the reader think that the murderer was several different people, as any good mystery...more
Dan Andriacco
I generally read detective stories or thrillers. This was more of a suspense novel. As such, it accomplished the job description of that genre -- to keep the reader turning the pages quickly to find out what happens next. I own the next two books in the series and I look forward to reading them.
Chris
It was one of those books my dad used to call gotcha books. It's written well enough to finish reading it but it never got to a good climax. So got you to read it. It left you wondering

why did you read it. who is Marlone and what was the mystery? was just another feel good book reminding you to cherish family.

Rittwolf
In my opinion this book wasn't much of a mystery novel. It was more of a story about the hardships in the main characters life and how her life intermingled with the other characters in the book.

There was a splash of mystery here and there but it took a long time for any tension to build and when it finally did, it didn't last long. It also seemed like the author was in a bit of a hurry to wrap things up at the end. I felt cheated by the brief explanations used to wrap up some of the more intere...more
Sharon
I'm from Cincinnati, so when I saw this book and read the synopsis I had to read it. Ms. Gligor did a great job with the development of each character. Flashbacks within the story made it easy to understand them. Although I enjoyed the story, the plot was ok...if this makes sense. The story has great potential to be a very good mystery, but there wasn't enough of mystery. I felt as if the mystery/suspense areas in the novel were rushed as well as the end. I am looking forward to reading the sequ...more
Patricia Peto
Patricia Peto marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Steph Moyer
Steph Moyer marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Michael Murphy
Michael Murphy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Deanne Quarrie
Deanne Quarrie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Lavada
Lavada marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lmk359
Lmk359 marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Shannon Karpe
Shannon Karpe marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The rest of the story 1 2 Feb 23, 2014 07:51AM
Happy Read 2 2 Feb 23, 2014 07:43AM
Goodreads Authors...: Are you in the mood for a Halloween mystery? 1 5 Oct 22, 2013 07:51AM
Making Connections: In the mood for a mystery? 2 9 Sep 04, 2013 04:49AM
All Mystery news ...: In the mood for a mystery? 1 7 Sep 02, 2013 07:19AM
All Mystery news ...: FREE on Kindle 7 15 May 29, 2013 09:05AM
Making Connections: "Mixed Messages" is FREE on Kindle today and tomorrow 3 12 Apr 27, 2013 09:00AM
I write the Malone Mystery Series. All three books in the series (Mixed Messages, Unfinished Business and Desperate Deeds) are available at amazon.com, B&N, postmortem-press.com and other fine retailers. Ask for them by name. Each book may be read as a standalone.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy reading mystery/suspense novels, touring and photographing old houses, traveling, and going to yard sa...more
More about Patricia Gligor...
Unfinished Business Desperate Deeds