Zombie Night in Canada: First Period

Zombie Night in Canada: First Period

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Tokyo. Sydney. Beijing. Cairo. Paris. Rome. New York. Los Angeles. One by one, the world’s great cities fell to the zombie plague. What chance does a small, non-descript city in Canada like Edmonton have?

The world as we know it is finished. Civilization has collapsed and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Billions of people are dead, victims of a horrific plague.

Bi-we...more
Published February 29th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Night in Canada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Night in Canada

Marcie pollack
I was lucky enough to receive “Zombie Night In Canada: 1st Period” by Jamie Friesen free in exchange for a review. The first thing I want to say is that I normally don’t critique editing especially when the book is written about, or by someone from a different country than myself. However, I just wanted to toss a little comment out there that I thought the editing was well done (in my opinion) and didn't cause me to have to re-read something in order to understand the content. I especially appre...more
Kat
Zombie Night in Canada is one of those zombie reads that captures everything I love about this genre. The main characters are normal people thrown into a terrifying, overwhelming situation and proceed to make the best of a bad lot, all the while dodging, ducking and diving around the increasing zombie threat.

Familiar pop-culture references (for example zombie movies, blogs and Twitter) make the story feel more realistic - after all, if rumours of a zombie virus surfaced, chances are you are goin...more
Shandy
I had a really hard time writing this review. Mainly because this book isn't super great, and it isn't absolutely horrible. It's right dead (no pun intended) center middle of the road. The writings decent, the plot moves along at a good pace, with lots of action to keep you involved and routing for the good guys. There is a lot of head hopping, but for me that wasn't an issue. Yet it might have been the only glaring thing in the book was the misuse of multiple points of view.
There was a lot of...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Zombie Night in Canada: First Period has it all. There is constant action, fighting and survivalism to the extreme. Readers are taken on a journey where they see how this pandemic goes from one individual at a hospital to a complete of society. We are given the points of view from law enforcement officials, military personnel, city officials, and a very clever hockey player.

I liked the way the chapters were split up. Readers are given worldwide updates periodically. This books setting is Canada...more
J.R.

This is one of the few books that describes a zombie outbreak in the Great Northern expanse known as Canada. It’s also one of the few that tells the story of such an outbreak from multiple character/survivor perspectives and makes it work.

Zombie Night in Canada tells the story of several groups of survivors and how they deal not so much with the dead walking but infected people from a strain of what is thought to be rabies. This makes those infected very aggressive and very dangerous.

As the plo...more
Alexis Winning
Zombie Night in Canada is a good, straight forward, first zombie book by fellow Albertan Jamie Friesen. At the end of the book the author makes some comments about his work, which I feel sum up my thoughts nicely. Jamie acknowledges that his goal was not to add anything new to the genre, simply tell a story through the unique Canadian perspective which has certainly been absent within the genre.

There are many good Canadian Indie authors out there who have dabbled with the idea of zombies, and I...more
Amy
*I was given a copy of this book for free, in exchange for an honest review.

It all starts with a bite.

Zombies are running loose in Canada. The local police and sent out to quarantine. But as all infections go, they spread. One zombie turns into two, two into four, four into eight and so on. How is Canada and the rest of the world supposed to fight off this horrible virus that is spreading and not die trying to figure it out?

I love a good zombie story and this book did NOT fail to deliver what it...more
Emil Tiedemann
I love zombies! I love Edmonton! I love reading! So you can imagine how excited I was when the author of this book sent me a copy...a zombie apocalypse tale set in my own hometown!! Unfortunately, that was the only real appeal to the book, which sucks for anyone not from Edmonton and who doesn't care so much for the living dead.

The biggest problem with the book was the characters' lack of development...there simply was no one I cared about in this book. The author also delved too far into the w...more
Craig
Fantastic outlook at the zombie apocalpys Canadian style.
Jess Wiles
Jess Wiles is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2014
Chino
Chino marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Lee Ann
Lee Ann marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Patty P
Patty P marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Patrik
Patrik marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Rachel M
Rachel M marked it as to-read
May 02, 2013
Suellen
Suellen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Julie Valerie
Julie Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Jamie Friesen writes in several fiction genres, including horror, thriller and dystopian fiction, apocalyptic fiction and military science fiction, as well as satire/humor. After trying several different careers (chef, soldier, ESL teacher), he obtained a Bachelor of Arts in History, and later followed it with a Masters of Arts in Communications.

His writing is heavily influenced by his experiences...more
More about Jamie Friesen...
The Saga of Micky Wheeler Outbreak: Visions of the Apocalypse Coffin Hop: Death by Drive-In