Start by marking “Electrical Banana: Masters of Psychedelic Art” as Want to Read:
Electrical Banana: Masters of Psychedelic Art

Electrical Banana: Masters of Psychedelic Art

Electrical Banana: Masters of Psychedelic Art by Norman Hathaway and Dan Nadel is the first definitive examination of the international language of psychedelia, focusing on the most important practitioners in their respective fields with a deft combination of hundreds of unseen images and exclusive interviews and essays, Electrical Banana aims to revise the common ...more
Published 2011 by Damiani

To ask other readers questions about Electrical Banana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electrical Banana

Jeff Jackson
Jun 19, 2013 Jeff Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Handsomely produced sampling of the work of seven "masters of psychedelic art." Interviews with each artist puts their work in historical perspective, but it's the well-chosen images themselves that truly captivate. Tadanori Yokoo - represented with some rare posters, picture discs, and book slipcases - shines the brightest, but I was glad to become more acquainted with the work of Keiichi Tanaami and Mati Klarwein, who did the cover for Miles Davis' Bitches Brew among much else.
Mark Nangle
Nov 02, 2016 Mark Nangle rated it really liked it
I recommend you take a look at this book if you are in any way interested in the history of "psychedelic art" and "psychedelia". A beautifully visual work of scholarship which collects together seven artists and designers through the use of hundreds of full-colour images, interviews and essays. Artists such as Heinz Edelmann (most famous for his work on the animated film "Yellow Submarine"), Martin Sharp (record covers such as "Disraeli Gears" by Cream), Marijke Kroger, Keiichi Tanaami, Mati ...more
Matt
Nov 29, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
I kind of skipped some of the interviews because some of the memory lane quality of this one I just wasn't interested in. (Also, the text contrast sucked a bit imho.) Not that stories of some of our most cherished 60s records wouldn't rock, I just wasn't in the mood.

What I was in the mood for was the awesome survey of psychedelic art of that period. The pictures. I want to see the pictures. Totally blown away in some cases.

Especially: http://www.matiklarweinart.com/

I have long admired the Miles
Don Gorman
Sep 17, 2012 Don Gorman rated it liked it
Just for looking, not much reading to it, but this is a gorgeous and lovely collection of very interesting psychedelic art. Baby boomers (like myself) will recognize many of the images from album covers etc. Way cool.
C. Mitchell
C. Mitchell rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Ella
Ella rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Hilma Sophia
Hilma Sophia rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Sebastian
Sebastian rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Manu
Manu rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
John Sisson
John Sisson rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Anthony Abato
Anthony Abato rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Claudia Getz
Claudia Getz rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Jamil
Jamil rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Shelley Whiting
Shelley Whiting rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Michael Stevens
Michael Stevens rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Alexis
Alexis rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Rossytaw
Rossytaw rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Caterina Fake
Caterina Fake rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2015
Anabel
Anabel rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Polkadotchihuahua
Polkadotchihuahua rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Ripley
Ripley rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Nathan Bussiere
Nathan Bussiere rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Marcroman
Marcroman rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
J.E. Anckorn
J.E. Anckorn rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014