Start by marking “Introducing Portmodernism: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Introducing Portmodern...

Richard Appignanesi

Introducing Portmodernism: A Graphic Guide (Graphic Guides)

Postmodernism seemed to promise an end to the grim Cold War era of nuclear confrontation and oppressive ideologies. This expanded edition brilliantly elucidates this hall of mirrors with Richard Appignanesi's witty and easy-to-follow text and the inspired cartoonist Chris Garratt.
Published 2003 (first published 1995)

David Sarkies
Jan 27, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historians and Philosophers
Recommended to David by: I wanted to find out more about Post-modernism
Shelves: philosophy
The End of History ?
29 January 2014

The title of the book that I read was called 'Postmodernism for Beginners' but it appears that this is the same book, though the edition that I read was published in 1995 and I suspect that there are a number of differences between the two editions. The problem though is that this book was published 20 years ago so, surprisingly, it has become dated. What the book is actually exploring is what the thought pattern of the Western World was at the time, and the t
Dov Zeller
I've heard said that styles recycle themselves, and to a degree there's truth in it. In the realm of ideas, art, architecture, fashion, music...I think there's evidence (one example, my young friends are often obsessed with the eighties, which seems strange to me, having lived through them. And there's a whole slew of bands who sound like they're trying to get back there via technologized whining, a substance that can apparently be, recorded, distilled, teased and/or feathered and used for time ...more
Jessica Oswald
I don't think anyone would expect a small book full of cartoons and the world "Introducing" on the cover to be scholarly. This book succeeds in giving someone who is new to the subject a toe-hold, just enough for further learning to build on. As a person advances in the topic they can develop their own opinions on the areas of the book that were written in a biased fashion.

The world makes a little more sense after reading this book.

Raisu
It's somewhat embarrassing, but it seems that I've gone and got hooked on this series. It's great for people like me who combine a thirst for knowledge with a attention span of a mosquito.
Becky Douglas
I recently read and enjoyed Introducing Philosophy but Introducing Postmodernism was awful. Maybe it's postmodernism itself that's awful but I suspect it's this book. To be fair, the first third of the book discusses postmodernism in art; where it came from, how it evolved, how it fit in culturally in the US, Europe and Russia (although it's supposed to be a global movement, apparently nowhere else in the world produces art). That was fine, it was well explained and fairly interesting. Knowing a ...more
Andy
Aug 05, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2015
Still confused but this book provided a lot of things to think about. Well put together and worth reading. Good introduction (as always with this series).
Antti Sorri
Popmodernismi on käsite, joka ehkä rupeaa pikkuhiljaa tuntumaan osoittain vanhanaikaiselta, mutta johon edelleen törmää käsitteenä varsinkin usein. On sanomattakin selvää, että 1900-luvun jälkipuolen historiaa niin voimakkaasti muokannut käsite on käyttäjälleen selvää, mutta mitä Postmodernimilla sitten oikein tarkoitetaan?

Richard Appignanesin ja kumppaneitten yritys selittää käsitteen monimuotoiset koukerot taviksille on kunnianhimoinen, joskin osittain tuhoon tuomittu yritys. Kunnianhimoinen s
Tom
Nov 17, 2016 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find postmodernism an extremely convoluted and pretentious word to describe stuff that's out of the norm. I thought this book would help me understand the movement. It did nothing but confuse me further into a world of confusion. I might just leave postmodernism for the intellectuals who understand it. It's not overly interesting or thought provoking - it's more like a crazy acid trip.
Dainius Jocas
Oct 14, 2016 Dainius Jocas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geras įvadas.
Nick Jones
I’m not sure when I first heard the term ‘postmodernism’, but in 1984 I read Frederic Jameson’s famous essay on the subject and soon afterwards Malcolm Bradbury’s book on the American novel where he called a lot of the 1960s novelists that I had recently been reading postmodernist. It was a hip, cutting edge term, but by the early 1990s it was commonly thrown around in the media and had become a little glib. It seems to have faded away in the Twenty-first Century. I can’t remember where or when ...more
rains
Feb 19, 2016 rains rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't get the purpose of this book. For a "complete novice," it definitely is NOT a useful introduction or a guide, as it's hard to follow (the authors often jump from one concept/theory/buzzword to the next with little relation between the two), it rarely explains complex and vague terms and notions in a manner anywhere near sufficient, and many of the examples offered are so scantily presented that they serve to confuse more rather than elucidate. Indeed, for an "introduction" this book is a ...more
Emily
Feb 13, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Theory in any discipline can be extremely difficult to grasp. Bring in postmodernism and many students are completely lost. This book helped me understand the postmodernism movement when I was first introduced to historical and archaeological theory. Appignanesi and Garratt answer such questions as, what on earth is false postmodernism? Eclectic postmodernism? The Anthropic Principle? Introducing Postmodernism is a great companion to any theoretical textbook/compilation of works for an undergrad ...more
Nazmi Yaakub
Jun 19, 2011 Nazmi Yaakub rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: falsafah, inggeris, grafik
BAGAIMANA untuk memahami post-modernism alias pascamoden yang tak punya garis permulaan sejarah yang nyata, kerangka yang penuh kekeliruan dan tempoh tamat yang tampak tak berkesudahan dalam sebuah buku nipis yang dipenuhi grafik?

Inilah cabaran untuk memahami worldview Barat yang datang dengan apa saja saluran atas nama globalisasi dan kini perang global ke atas keganasan. Selepas memporak-perandakan politik-ekonomi-sosial-budaya-pemikiran masyarakat Eropah dan Anglo-Saxon, ia sedang memamah neg
Sleepless
Feb 20, 2016 Sleepless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty interesting. I thought I knew what postmodernism was but this book made me realize I actually have no idea.

As an introduction, I'm not sure how good it is. It's not easy to read. I had to google some stuff because his explanations weren't clear or extensive enough. I disliked how he introduces a phrase once and then immediately begins using it. It's pretty confusing.

Nonetheless, I learned loads. It's a good introduction in the sense that it shows a lot of sides of postmoder
Hestia Istiviani
I read in Bahasa & this review is written in Bahasa

Menarik! Karena sejauh ini, aku hanya tau istilah "posmodern" tanpa memahami apa makna dari kata itu.

Yang membuat aku tercengang, apalagi kalau bukan pemaparan mengenai hal-hal atau isu berkaitan dengan posmodern yang ternyata sudah selama ini kita temui.

Kaget juga karena beberapa peristiwa yang aku kira hanya ada secara fenomena, ternyata bisa ditelaah dengan menggunakan teori dan hasilnya adalah peristiwa tersebut sebagai tanda dari masya
Janie
Jun 18, 2007 Janie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-the-past
i'd hate to belittle this book by merely calling it a comic book(aka, graphic novel), b/c it is definitely much more than that. if anyone is looking for an in depth taste of the ever-so-complicated topic of postmodernism, here is a book for you! the "cartoons" of all notable figures and works of art in the postmodern movement/segue/transition (?) (<-- see, my confusion is proof of the knowledge i've already gained in the postmodern debacle) aids the reader not in verbose languages but thought ...more
Ted Child
There is a Chomsky essay where he basically calls Postmodern theory a bunch of rubbish. There is something to postmodern theroy but, like Chomsky stated, someone else probably said it much more clearly. After reading this book I can believe it to be true. Most of the second half of this book describes the problems of our modern world and it's false reality rather than much on postmodern theory, maybe because there isn't too much to say. I'll probably read more postmodern stuff but I'm definitely ...more
Everett
Jul 03, 2008 Everett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: intellectualism
I didn't think this was as good as some of the other Introducing... books that I've read, but it's probably because the subject matter is pretty vague and complicated. I think I sort of understand a bit what postmodernism is about but I'm also very confused. I don't think I would recommend this to somebody as an _introduction_ to p-m. I may read more about it or I may decide that p-m is sort of a mind-f--k waste of time.
Faedyl
Jan 31, 2013 Faedyl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de que muchos piensen que leer libros para newbies te convierte en uno, creo que son una buena manera de agilizar los conocimientos que fuimos adquiriendo picoteando apuntes aqui y allá. Me pareció muy bien condensado y completo, y a la luz de leer en paralelo ensayos (por ejemplo tener a Lyotard al lado para comparar) se nota que no pifian. Genial compendio!! muy recomendable, queridos mortales.
Miquixote
What the heck does postmodernism mean anyways? From my university days. Not sure I can define it even now, my little brain is mocked, laughed at, arghh! It makes me feel a bit better that somebody wrote an article for a postmodernist magazine and it got rave reviews even though the author purposely wrote in meaningless gobbledygook. I guess the message is : use big words, if nobody understands al the easier to claim to be an intellectual.
Magda Magdy
Aug 18, 2013 Magda Magdy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prepare to be taken into a whirlwind of sorts dissecting Postmodernism down to its meticulous details. Analyzing the theory itself within a socio-political globalised culturally impacted range. You're going to get introduced to modernist and postmodernist art movements, philosophies, politics. From Warhol to Foucault to Derrida, Baudrillard, to Madonna and Heidegger. It's got it all. The graphic illustration is eye-candy.
Paula Maguire
I didn't actually read this book , but one like it by Richard and Chris Garratt. Postmodernism for beginners. I must admit, I found it very challenging, not least as it was in the format of a cartoon strip, with visual puns and parodies and pastiches. A bit too much for a novice like me. However, there were glimpses of understanding and though I need a rest now, I will pursue my understanding and generalisation of the grand narratives in the next few years
Karen
Feb 04, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This book although an introduction to post modernism tries to cram way to much in and therefore left me feeling overwhelmed and feeling like I knew even less than before! Although it gave some insight I felt like it spread itself too thin in an attempt to cover all bases. The cartoons were also a bit annoying and pointless at times - the space could've been better used with clearer explanations of certain areas.
Vera
Jan 21, 2013 Vera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humanities
Those who are new to postmodernism will find that this book gives too much information too soon. Those already familiar with postmodern traditions will probably expect more depth than it offers.
Yet I liked it because illustrations are great and the explanation of hyper-reality is easy-to-grasp. Oh, and thanks to this book I'm one step closer to understanding modern and conceptual art.
Paul Wright
Penny
Jun 22, 2012 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as INTRODUCING MODERNISM: A GRAPHIC GUIDE. Part of the problem is, the subject matter is different. We are "in it" (although some say we are not) so how can we observe ourselves to be in an era when the right-hand bookend isn't there yet? But also, I feel the book itself is not as good. But it's not bad for US$9.95 when you are not art-trained and just want a flash intro.
##
Eric Pecile
Jul 20, 2016 Eric Pecile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid account of the basic precepts of the most useless movement in Western thought. All the nihilistic, illogical, and un-mathematical tenets of the ideology of arbitrary neo-liberal cultural ideology are brought forward and their consequences for the world successfully highlighted.
Pajtim Zeqiri
To be honest, I excpected more from this book. It was supposed to be an introduction to postmodernism but it was so vague. The reason might be the poor-translation because I read it with an albanian translation.
Peter Sharpe
Sep 27, 2010 Peter Sharpe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The introducing books are usually very good value for reading about ideas. This one is a good introduction to the complex web of postmodern ideas but should be used as a springboard to other material on the subject.
David Joseph
Sep 05, 2012 David Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Painfully accurate apologetic of a dumb idea. Good job.

I can, in good conscience, only recommend this to those whom might also enjoy deboning fish.

Too much bias.

Thankfully it's a chronicle and not a deconstructionistic examination.

Tiring!

• Introducing Camus
  • Joyce for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness
  • Introducing Logic
Richard Appignanesi is a published adapter and an author of young adult books. Published credits of Richard Appignanesi include Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare), and Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare).
More about Richard Appignanesi...

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Fascism and Nazism
  • Introducing Genetics
  • Introducing Jesus
  • Kafka

“Not a good book. It attempts to take a complex subject and make it assessable to the layman with cartoons, and in this effort it fails. Moreover, the authors often take biased stances, and while I agree with them for the most part it nonetheless detracts from any scholarly offerings in which they wish to partake.” 1 likes