Start by marking “The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (The Tribe #1)” as Want to Read:
The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (The Tribe #1)

The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (The Tribe #1)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,237 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
“There will come a day when a thousand Illegals descend on your detention centres. Boomers will breach the walls. Skychangers will send lightning to strike you all down from above, and Rumblers will open the earth to swallow you up from below. . . . And when that day comes, Justin Connor, think of me.”

Ashala Wolf has been captured by Chief Administrator Neville Rose. A man
Paperback, AUS/NZ Edition, 395 pages
Published July 2012 by Walker Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf, please sign up.

Coolcurry No, there are no werewolves or shape shifters or anything remotely approaching werewolves. However, the main character does have a special connection…moreNo, there are no werewolves or shape shifters or anything remotely approaching werewolves. However, the main character does have a special connection with wolves and can communicate with them to some extent.(less)
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakLooking for Alibrandi by Melina MarchettaTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenLife in Outer Space by Melissa KeilSaving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
LoveOzYA
30th out of 248 books — 116 voters
Chasing the Valley by Skye Melki-WegnerEvery Breath by Ellie MarneySkyfire by Skye Melki-WegnerBorderlands by Skye Melki-WegnerThe Hush by Skye Melki-Wegner
#OzYAChat Master List
21st out of 133 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Navessa

WARNING:

Me, while reading:
I think I like this book. Yup, I really like this book. I totally know what’s going on. Wait, what did I just read? Um…okay. I think I still know what’s going on though, nice try. Wait…what did she just say? Crap, I have no idea what’s going on, do I? WAIT…WUUUUUUT?! FUCK! I have never known what was going on! Damn it.

So touché, Ms Kwaymullina, that doesn’t happen to me very often.

Somehow, going into this, I didn’t realize that it was a YA book. Or that it was a dyst
Phrynne
May 30, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
This is a very impressive book written by an indigenous Australian author. Set three hundred years into the future, it is a dystopian story of our world after it has been wrecked by all the things our civilisation involves. Some small recovery has occurred and Ashala Wolf is the leader of a group of young misfits trying to survive under the new regime.
The book has a heavy Aboriginal Dreamtime influence to it which fits well with the idea of this new world. People are trying not to make the same
Mands
The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is the debut novel by Australian author Ambelin Kwaymullina. Set three hundred years in the future, the old world has been destroyed and a new world, much smaller than ours, has risen from the flood water. There are now people with abilities and some people, like Chief Administrator Neville Rose, believe them to be Illegals and want them locked in detention centres. Ashala Wolf is one of these Illegals and is leader of The Tribe that resides in the Firstwood. Ash ...more
Liz BooksandStuff
Read review on Wordpress
“There will come a day where a thousand illegals descend on your detention centre. Boomers will breach the walls. Skychangers will send lighting to strike you down from above and Rumblers will open the earth to swallow you up from bellow. And when that day comes, Justin Connor, think of me.”
With a quote like that on the flap how could I do nothing but love it? With a writer that was going to show diversity of aboriginals which I have read very little of, how could I no
Kathylill
Reading The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf feels a lot like this.

This book will fuck with your expectations. It’s original, unpredictable and utterly engrossing with its ingenious plot twist, imaginative dreamscapes, nightmares, memory flashbacks and sometimes even the complete loss of reality.

All your expectations and what you thought was true gets turned upside down.

”The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that, poof. He’s gone.” Verbal Kint,
Skip
Aug 09, 2015 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ambelin Kwaymullina is a breakout author, an Australian aboriginal writer and illustrator, who is part of the Palyku people of Western Australia. This is the story of the rebellious Ashala Wolf, who seeks to thwart the oppressive government in a dystopian society, and is told from her perspective as a captive being subjected to enhanced interrogation. Ashala herself is a idealistic indigenous protagonist, including themes such as living in harmony and tranquility, with respect for all living cre ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Candlewick Press and Netgalley.)
Ashala has a special ability, and has been on the since she was 12, not wanting to be assessed and detained because of her ability.
Now Ashala has been captured though, and she’s about to be interrogated by those who wish to assess and detain those with special abilities.

This book just wasn’t for me. I had trouble keeping up with what was going on, and I just did
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
If, like me, you have a childhood steeped in fantasy and folklore; a love of the natural world and a soul-deep recognition of its greater importance in the scheme of things; a deep fascination with 'misfit abilities' (as in The Obernewtyn Chronicles and The X-Men); and a love for adventure stories involving youngsters outwitting malicious adults, you will, hopefully, love The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf as much as I did. This didn't just hit all my storytelling 'wants', to borrow the analogy; i ...more
Trisha
May 26, 2014 Trisha rated it it was ok
Another case of "it's not you, it's me."

This book should have been exactly my kind of book. Dystopia, weird mind stuff and "save the planet" kind of kids! YAY!

Instead, it was kind of....boring. Ashala is captured. From there, it's a lot of trying to figure out what on earth was going on. I think it lost me really early on, when the "dog" was leaping in the air in her dream eating "bones."

I don't mind suspense and confusion in a book, but I have to be invested in the character or the story....or
ALPHAreader
Dec 06, 2012 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing
Ashala Jane Ambrose is being taken to the machine that will break her. It will use her memories against her, ripping into her mind and putting the Tribe in danger.

There is nobody to help Ashala. The boy she trusted, Justin Connor, revealed himself as a traitor and is now her guard in Detention Centre 3. The infamous Chief Administrator, Neville Rose, has Ashala in his sights and will do whatever it takes to find the location of her Tribe in the Firstwood.

But within these walls are more Illegals
Shaheen
Jan 07, 2016 Shaheen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, purchased
It's hard to believe that The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is a début novel. It's rich prose, brilliantly imagined world, and nuanced characters are sure to impress a wide ranging audience.

There is an inherent Balance between all life, and the only way to preserve it is to live in harmony with ourselves, with each other, and with the earth."

I love the world-building in this novel! It's a dystopian world based on Australia with Dreamtime mythologies - like the Serpent - cleverly weaved into it. A
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Candlewick Press and Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

4 Stars!

This was one of those books that the more I read, the more I liked it. I find myself gravitating towards YA books right now. I found this to be a great addition to that genre. I was first intrigued by the cover of this book which shows a fierce face of young girl. It is a wonderful cover that I would no
Jane
Nov 24, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
This was so much fun. Ashala Wolf explored themes I love - humanity's relationship to nature, describing fellow humans as 'others' so we can lock them up and mistreat them - without being in the least heavy-handed. The characters were rich and interesting, their 'superpowers' unusual and well-thought-out. And I was particularly impressed by the structure, which allowed the story to completely turn on its axis about one-third of the way in. It was clever, and it worked logistically and emotionall ...more
Angela
Jan 08, 2016 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Navessa
Shelves: ya, dystopian, kindle
8 January 2016: $3.99 on Kindle
Suzanne
Jun 03, 2014 Suzanne rated it liked it
I finished this on the fence about whether it was a 2 or 3 for me and whether it was a potential 3/4 for YAs. Ultimately, I am splitting the difference.

I like the Aboriginal flavor of the dystopian post apocalyptic world created here. And there's also lots to like about the environmental message and outlook espoused by the positive characters in the novel. However, it's the baddies who run the government who use the term "balance" to justify their prejudice against those with abilities, those ca
Lisa (Badass Bookie)
Jul 31, 2012 Lisa (Badass Bookie) rated it really liked it
The Short Story? - This one took me by utter surprise. I still can't believe how much I enjoyed it! The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is definitely one of my favourite YA dystopians that I've read this year! Bringing YA dystopian together with elements of the Dreaming ( aboriginal legends), The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is a show of fresh talent with an authentic narrative voice and a intriguing plot! Kwaymullina's debut is absolutely breath-taking!

The Long Story? - To be honest I had no i
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
4.5 Stars
The Interrogation Of Ashala Wolf can be described in one word, awesome. This is not your average dystopian, a blend of Indigenous Dreamtime and a post apocalyptic world in which man destroyed our environment. Ashala is a tough and feisty heroine, she possesses an inner strength rarely seen in most young adult protagonists. She's socially aware and an environmental warrior, sharing a connection with both fauna and flora alike. She's given a sense o
Mark Webb
Feb 08, 2013 Mark Webb rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww2013
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2013 Reading Challenge. All my 2013 AWWC reviews can be foundhere.

The Interrogation of Ashala Wolfis Ambelin Kwaymullina's first novel. It is based inthe far future after a devastating cataclysm has left the world reshaped into a single continent, and the remnants of humanity living in a small number of cities and adhering to a philosophy of Balance to prevent future catastrophes.

Some people are born with special abilities
Melanie
When I first picked up The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf I had no idea it was young adult, or that it was a dystopian novel. Like many other, I'm growing tired of the dystopian theme, so many cliche plots, identically characters and frustrating story lines. I am however so happy to tell you that The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf does not fall into that category!

Ambelin Kwaymullina has done an awesome job, in creating this epic story.
From cool dreamscapes, enchanting forests, creepy evil men, sadis
Tehani
Aug 29, 2012 Tehani rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, sf, australian, fantasy
I've heard people talk about this as fantasy, but it felt much more dystopic SF to me. It's probably a solid 3.5, but I round up for Aussie books, particularly debut novels (Kwaymullina has previous publications, but not novel length). I enjoyed the read, thought there were some fabulous ideas and great characters. I wasn't sold on the world-building, and the book suffered a little from the same problem that Veronica Roth's "Divergent" did, in that it was hard to believe the societal structure c ...more
John Clark
May 18, 2014 John Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashala lives in a future where the world is recovering from a major disaster that happened 258 years ago and resources are in short supply. Children have also begun to exhibit strange powers that scare the heck out of adults. At first, the government was allegedly taking them for their own protection because there were times when their power created significant problems, but now that many of them have escaped and found freedom in the Firstwood Forest, Chief administrator Neville Ross has sent a ...more
Roxanne
I'm thinking 3.5 stars for this one. It was a super unique book, I've never read anything even remotely like it, and I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. I loved the tie in to some of the Aboriginal myths, too. But I didn't feel much of a connection to the characters, and I found the descriptions of this future world somewhat vague. So, not sure if I will continue the series, but I would recommend this to anyone looking for a unique dystopian YA read.
Just A. Bean
The writing is good, the characters are engaging and interesting,and the plot is twisty, but what I loved about this book is what sets it apart from most post-apocalyptic YA series.

Firstly, it's absolutely environmentalist and almost entirely pacifist, and the author seems to understand what both those things mean, and builds the world around them. Furthermore, that world is built on what I assume is Aboriginal Australian cosmology, only with more dinosaurs. Now I couldn't fill the back of a pos
Lefa
This is one of the finest examples of complex, layered world building I've ever had the pleasure to read. The narrative is compelling, the mythology is rich and the characters are believably flawed, strong and vulnerable at the same time. Fantastic. Devoured the first two and cannot wait to see where Kwaymullina takes the rest of the series.
Barbara
Chief Administrator Neville Rose has had Ashala Wolf captured and is interrogating her. His intentions are not good since he wants to obtain whatever information he can to help him eradicate her Tribe, a group of runaways hiding in the woods. But all is not as it seems as the author reveals in a series of memories and flashbacks. Could it be that Justin Connor is more to her than just a betrayer? There are many parts of this story that I enjoyed such as Ashala herself, the community's strong con ...more
Emily Mead
Yeah, so this was not my cup of tea. Mainly because 1) I didn't have a clue what was happening, 2) The characters seemed really one-dimensionsal and 3) I DID NOT HAVE A CLUE WHAT WAS HAPPENING.

But anyway, full review to come (with the other two books in the series).

_________________________________________

Oooh, sounds badass, right? SOMEONE’S GETTING INTERROGATED. Then you’ve got that dramatic close-up with the cover, so it’s all happening. It’s practically screaming “EPIC DYSTOPIAN.”

And you kn
Gin Jenny (Reading the End)
The characters weren't the most well-developed (in particular, the love interest mostly exists to have a flawless angel face, which, ech), BUT I loved all the tricksy ruses and things. Would read more by this author & hopefully in subsequent books she has dropped all this perfect face-having business by her characters.
Rhianna
May 08, 2016 Rhianna rated it really liked it
I had to read this book for my children's literature class.

It's not something I would normally pick up. However I really enjoyed it! The Aboriginal cultural references and knowledge systems really come through in this book which is amazing. To be able to read and experience the "dreaming" told from an Aboriginal woman's perspective is just a beautiful opportunity.

This book would be a very interesting in depth study, I may choose it for my final essay. It's a brilliant work literary wise and in
chucklesthescot
Feb 02, 2014 chucklesthescot rated it really liked it
Ashala and other kids with special abilities avoid state detention by running away to live free in the forest. But Ashala is betrayed by Justin, a new Tribe member that she was in love with and now has to go to the detention centre to face the infamous machine that exposes your memories and secrets. Can she escape or stay strong enough to beat the machine while her betrayer watches on.

I was browsing in WH Smith's 3 for 2 offer when this book cover caught my eye and I picked it off the shelf. Int
Sara  (LitHacker.com)
May 22, 2016 Sara (LitHacker.com) rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
More like 3 1/2

Although I felt the writing was uneven, and I'm not sure how long this story will stay with me, I'm glad I read this book. It had some fun plot turns, and I really think the author shone brightest whenever she wrote about mystical things occurring - this makes a lot of sense after reading her author's note about drawing from her own Aboriginal culture. I really love that she included Animism into the story in such a seamless way. While I was less enamored (no pun intended) by the
  • Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2)
  • The Shiny Guys
  • Wolfborn
  • Becoming Kirrali Lewis
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • Love-Shy
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
  • A Single Stone
  • Admission (Pandora Jones, #1)
  • Butterfly Song
  • The Reluctant Hallelujah
  • Angel Arias (Night Creatures, #2)
  • One True Thing
Ambelin Kwaymullina loves reading sci-fi/fantasy books, and has wanted to write a novel since she was six years old. She comes from the Palyku people of the Pilbara region of Western Australia. When not writing or reading she teaches law, illustrates picture books, and hangs out with her dogs. She is currently working on the third book in The Tribe series.

Find out more about Ashala Wolf at:
www.th
More about Ambelin Kwaymullina...

The Tribe (3 books)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)

“I walk among my enemies. But I carry my friends with me.” 12 likes