Start by marking “Courting Samira” as Want to Read:
Courting Samira

Courting Samira

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
“So I was turned off a suitor when I saw his shoes. Despite the Arab warrior preference, I didn’t really care about looks. But I had a general rule: if the suitor came in wearing shoes with tassels, a leather jacket circa 1982, and/or a moustache, the doorknock appeal would fail from the outset. A girl has to have some standards, right?”

It may be the 21st century, but who
Published March 2012 by Amal Awad (first published October 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Courting Samira, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courting Samira

Amra Pajalic
Dec 23, 2012 Amra Pajalic rated it really liked it
Awad has a great voice and has created a well-rounded character in Samira who is searching for love while coming to terms with what she wants in life.

Her novel is best described as an Austen-esque romance in the Muslim world and gives great insight into the courting rituals of an arranged marriage.

There are moments of humour and a love triangle that kept me guessing to the end.
Naza Alkhateeb
Jul 29, 2012 Naza Alkhateeb rated it really liked it
A great book, I enjoyed it thoroughly because of the insights it afforded me. A great start also for a local author with heart. I generally don't read chick flick, but I do recommend this one.

Nina Mourad
Jul 02, 2012 Nina Mourad rated it it was amazing
A funny and heartwarming story. I guess I could relate to Samira alot.
I finished it in a day! :)
Simon Mouatt
Jul 30, 2012 Simon Mouatt rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It introduced me to a world I never knew existed.
Emily Nguyen
Jul 25, 2014 Emily Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Hmm, not really too sure I can write a review that can do this book justice. The author has a great voice that anybody and everybody can relate to. Unlike many chick-lit authors, Miss Awad, which we shall affectionately refer to her as, gives each of her characters a distinct character. I feel as if they are the friends I never had, and not book characters. This is not just some sappy book that you will find in the bargain at the store. Seriously, just read the book. You're welcome.
Sam
Sep 26, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
such a good novel, effectively explores not only the aspect of marriage in islam but also discusses other islamic morals which can be disregarded in todays context cause of a "change in times".
Many would say its a romance novel but its so much more than that, the author portrays so many different sides to islam and the importance of all of these aspects really well.
for example the main character has two best friends, one who is very pious and the other who is more laid back. these two best fri
Peculia
Jun 09, 2013 Peculia rated it it was amazing
On first impression, Courting Samira might appear only a fluffy love story — but it would be a mistake to underestimate it. Author Amal Awad has imbued it with subtle layers — on the top, the story of a Muslim woman navigating the tricky territory of culture and romance, but on its deeper levels, an exploration of that culture and what it means to those who live in it, as well as a wry (and affectionate) criticism of Austenian romance.

Awad's characterisation is perfect. Each person feels rounded
Adilah
Apr 09, 2014 Adilah rated it liked it
Not my usual genre, as I'm not a chick lit fan, but it appealed to me somewhat. As a Muslim, who grew up in Sydney in an Arab dominated neighbourhood, with a lot of Arab friends, I identified with a lot of things that were described in the novel. It was an amusing read. Samira could have easily been a friend of mine. I enjoyed it.
Josie Young
Feb 14, 2015 Josie Young rated it really liked it
Chick Lit without the gratuitous nudity. Love that about this book.
Raihanaty Jalil
Mar 03, 2013 Raihanaty Jalil rated it it was amazing
Really really enjoyed this book. It's been a long time since I've read a story that's drawn me in that I didn't want to put down, anxious to know how it will end. Very witty and cleverly written. Loved the characters and their unique and believable personalities, loved the parallels with the Jane Austin era, and especially loved the lessons about knowing oneself, boys and love, lessons I've come to realise myself (the hard way). Thank you for persisting in getting this story out there (sorry to ...more
Tessa
Jun 21, 2014 Tessa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the conversational style of writing and the story was very enjoyable.
Yasmin
Feb 13, 2014 Yasmin rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Thoroughly enjoyable.
Danii
Aug 14, 2012 Danii rated it liked it
I'm not a chick lit fan but as a young Muslim woman from Sydney having experienced the world of Muslim matchmaking, I couldn't resist reading this portrayal of another young Muslim woman in Sydney doing the same.

I'm still not a fan of chick lit but it was a nice light, funny read mashaAllah and I would recommend it to any young Muslim women out there who no doubt can relate on some level! I have already recommended it to a friend :)
Hamina
Jan 11, 2013 Hamina rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. I thought the author showed an interesting side to the muslim world of romance (let's face it, is quite bleak) but the ongoing commentary from the protagonist, Samira was rather humorous at times and kept things entertaining. I liked the ending but enjoyed the journey much more and now find myself daydreaming about meeting someone as lovely as Menem.
Anita
Dec 05, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious! Brigid Jones meets Janes Austen in Sydney's Muslem community. Loved the character and her internal dialogue. Can't wait for the authors next book!
Safiah
Nov 02, 2014 Safiah rated it it was amazing
Great book! I really enjoyed reading this.
Brooke Banks
Brooke Banks marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Tasneem
Tasneem marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Zynab Ali
Zynab Ali rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Dahlia Richards
Dahlia Richards rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Frida
Frida marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
huncka
huncka rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Meagan
Meagan marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Amy L McGlinchy
Amy L McGlinchy rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Kerstin Fehn
Kerstin Fehn rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Karimah Grayson
Karimah Grayson marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
emily eldan
emily eldan rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016