Start by marking “Cells” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  7 reviews
One woman. Two men. A last chance for happiness. Peak time on the Features Floor of a national newspaper and the computers crash. Martha Morgan, Features Editor, is losing control of her job. Head pounding she looks up and there is Jon. Is he the saviour she needs? Past and present combine into an explosive future in this literary novel.
Published (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cells

Rubery Book Award
Shortlisted for the Rubery Book Award

This is a novel about three very different people and their different experiences of modern London. Martha has a successful, responsible job on a national newspaper and her husband Grant is a business analyst. Jon comes from a different world, where success and affluence have no impact. His parents are dull, undemonstrative, and he has difficulty in finding and keeping a job. He longs for a girlfriends but lacks the skill to find one, resorting to the imagina
Nikki Bywater
Cells tells the story of Martha and Grant who are a successful professional couple in their careers. Martha is a features editor for a national newspaper and Grant is a Psychoanalyst. The couple have been trying for a baby and after been told they are one of the ten percent of couples who have unexplained infertility they have now stopped trying for a baby and it has affected their relationship.

One day while at work Martha meets Jon who works as an editorial. Martha and Grant become close to Jon
Louise Graham
This is the second book I have read this month about fertility problems in women and again the Author has written this very difficult and emotional problem with great care and compassion. I’m a mother myself and was extremely fortunate not to have any problems in conceiving my gorgeous little girl, however, reading this book I was transported into Martha’s world and the struggles she had with the failed IVF and as the book was written so well, it really does pull at you heart-strings.

This book i
Cells is told through the eyes of three different people, Martha, her husband Grant and a colleague Jon. It delves deeply into their lives and thoughts, not only as individuals but as they interact with each other and those around them. Different points of view over the same issues are clearly shown the reader gets to know each character in intimate detail.

The main issue of the novel is fertility problems suffered by Martha and Grant, but other issues in their lives are examined, some going way
Sue Uden
In reading CELLS I became intensely, almost uncomfortably, enmeshed in the lives of Martha, her husband Grant, and the socially awkward Jon, whom they each befriend in subtly different ways and for subtly different reasons. Harriet paints a vivid and intimately detailed picture of the lives of all three protagonists and explores the complicated emotions, inner turmoil and sadness surrounding the universal issue of infertility with enormous sensitivity and honesty. Recognising the settings around ...more

What I enjoyed most about this novel was the way the writer allows you to get inside the lives of the characters. At first, it seemed a bit disjointed but as you read more, it reflects how disjointed the lives of the characters are. The book deals with some major topics such as infidelity, infertility and interestingly parenthood from the father's point of view. All in all a good read - I'm sure there's room there for a sequel. What happens next to Jon and the other minotr characters?
Melanie Robertson-King
I started Cells late yesterday afternoon and finished it today. It's one of those books you hate to put down. Harriet's writing drew me in and kept me hooked. Her characters are true to life - all have their strengths, weaknesses and inner demons to deal with. Some are able to that more successfully than others.

I'm looking forward to more from this author.
Liya added it
Jul 05, 2013
Joshua Edem
Joshua Edem is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2012
Nannie Bittinger
Nannie Bittinger marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2012