Natural Flights of the Human Mind

Natural Flights of the Human Mind

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  34 reviews
11 discs 13.7 hours

"Peter Straker lives in a disused lighthouse on the Devon coast, his routines dictated by the sea and weather, with two cats for company and no neighbours. He speaks to no one - except in his dreams. There he converses with some of the seventy-eight people he believes he killed twenty-four years ago. If only he could remember exactly what happened." "But...more
Audio CD
Published 2006 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Natural Flights of the Human Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Flights of the Human Mind

Kirsty Darbyshire

I got this to read because I'd likes Morrall's first book Astonishing Splashes of Colour a lot. I didn't have a clue what it was about and didn't read the back cover or the flyleaf or the reviews or anything like that. I just started reading and let the story slowly unfold. And it was great that way.

So I'm not going to say anything about the story, except that it's got a lighthouse in it which you can infer from the picture on the cover, and lighthouses are always a good thing, aren't they? The

Ceecee
What if you were responsible for taking away the lives of 78 people? And what about the lives of the people they left behind?

These are just some questions tackled in the book. It's a story about redemption, forgiveness, and the unlikely people you meet that help you bring back together the pieces of your life.

This book was a pleasant surprise for me, considering I only bought this book because it was really really cheap, and I bought it so I wouldn't be embarrassed at not buying a book in a bo...more
Surreysmum
I think I may have found a new lady novelist to add to my shelves. This book is delightful to read, full of hope without sentimentality, and deft (not daft) in its wielding of symbolic landscape and symbolic objects. The protagonists are two lonely people; Peter Straker, who lives in a lighthouse, and Imogen Doody, a school caretaker who inherits a cottage nearby. Straker has a horrible incident in his past, which is revealed to us in just the right doses; Doody (as she calls herself) also has t...more
Sandra Danby
I’ve been having something of a Clare Morrall fest, that thing you get when you discover an author and wish they’d written more. The worst thing is when you get that feeling but the author is dead. Thankfully Clare Morrall is alive and writing, and I have two more novels to read – The Roundabout Man, and The Language of Others.
Natural Flights of the Human Mind is an original story about two outsiders who are brought together by circumstance and who, unknowingly, help each other to come to terms...more
Ruth
After reading Clare Morrall's Astonishing Splashes of Colour I wanted to see if another book she had written could be as good if not better. When I first started this book I felt a bit lost, but it didn't take long for that to change. I became completely engrossed in the lives of Straker and Doody and the complicated feelings, thoughts and of their minds. We never really know a persons thoughts or thought process. I enjoyed taking the journey through the lives of Straker and Doody. Thank you Cla...more
Bobbie
I found this book in The Works sale and bought it for about 20 pence; it was very unjust that it found itself in this unfortunate predicament. The book was very unusual and the characters were compelling, despite their being misfits in society. The author explored their feelings and thoughts with great sensitivity and insight, making this a very memorable read.
Karschtl
Auf den ersten Blick (auf's Cover) wirkt es wie eine leichte Frauenlektüre. Nach dem Lesen der Zusammenfassung am Buchrücken merkt man dann doch, dass es eher ein Drama ist. Auch kein Problem. Allerdings war mir der Stoff nach den ersten 70 Seiten immer noch viel zu trocken, und schließlich habe ich es zur Seite gelegt. Die Autorin hat sich zu viel Zeit gelassen, das Buch wirklich spannend zu gestalten. Ich denke, wenn ich weiter durchgehalten hätte, wäre es vielleicht noch unterhaltsamer geword...more
Dorian
I listened to this while driving, and was completely enthralled. She takes these unsympathetic characters who are loners and unhappy people, and makes them understandable and human. A unique story line, part mystery.
Teresa
What a jam-packed book! Though plot-driven, it starts off slow (not a complaint), leisurely, taking its time to spin out the story, gradually revealing its secrets, and I enjoyed the ride. Once I got close to the end, I couldn't put the book down. There are quite a few coincidences within the plot, but nothing that took away from the satisfying story.

Also full of well-drawn characters -- a main character did seem way too obtuse and unfeeling at a couple of crucial times, but that's a minor quibb...more
Heidi Spellman
A strange story but I loved it.
Bookmaniac70
I like this writer a lot. Her writing is crisp and compassionate, her stories- unusual and engaging. "Natural Flights" didn`t disappoint either. Morrall brings together two strong and vivid characters and makes us observe with interest their strange way of communicating and interacting. Her narration flows with ease. She manages to sustain a hidden psychological dynamics which makes the novel a page-turner. The very ending seemed a bit weak, events somehow were rushed to a conclusion
but neverthe...more
Lauren Stringer
This is one of the most astonishing and complex, yet very readable books dealing with grief, guilt, and shame I have ever read. Set mostly on the coast of Devon with the main character living/hiding in an old light house-- that is just about to fall into the sea while at the same time a unique friendship grows around the renewal of an abandoned cottage-- so much is about loss and gain. My favorite read of the year so far and I have read some amazing books lately!
Anna Tatelman
Love this author. Love her elegant and beautiful prose, love her memorable characters, love the way she can turn a book with not much actual plot into something rich and engaging.

I do feel that some of the 'reflective' internal monologues got a little repetitive, but I'm not going to mark her down for this. One, it certainly captured the character's inability to get out of his rut, and two, it's still a stellar read.
Tanja
Usually I know since the beginning if I like or dislike the plot in a particular book. In this case, it was different. Very slow beginning, which even made me think to stop reading, but then I came to the page 100 and the plot turned to be amazing. Very well written story in which the concept of guilt not only makes you think, but also puts you into the position what would you do if...
C
this is the second book I've read from this author and I really enjoyed it. This was the story of a man, haunted by an accident he was involved in 24 years earlier that he's not convinced is an accident. It's also the story of a woman whose husband disappeared shortly after they were married and the scars that have not healed.
A good book with a good story and very involving.
Amina

Sometimes something bad happens in our life and we almost stop living. That is what happened to Straker. And then a chance meeting changes everything. Doody also has a past and is filled with mistrust and hate. Sometimes we enter people's lives for a reason and change them forever.

This book was a pleasure to read. No loose ends and a happy ending.
John
Intriguing character study of two deeply flawed and prickly people who are lucky enough to find someone equally extreme, but in a complementary way. Also a thoughtful meditation on the many reactions to tragedy, and the limits of "blame" in the face of great loss.

I picked this up blind from the library, based on the back cover blurb, and was delighted.
Larissa
Nice book, really well-written and the characters' development was good, even though it was a little bit predictable. It took me almost two months to read, which means it didn't keep my attention. Anyway, it was worth it. :)
esterb
An inter­est­ing book. Mor­rall has cre­ated two great char­ac­ters to place next to each other and inter­act. Present and past are inter­wo­ven through­out the story and that works well to get the total pic­ture. In some places I would had liked a bit more pace and in other places a bit more depth, but oth­er­wise a good read.
Terry Mark
This was a wonderful book and the first of Clare Morrall's I have read but I will be reading the rest of her books now because if her other books are half as good as this one they will be worth it.
Windy
I really enjoyed this quirky story of two "misfits" who form an unlikely friendship. Straker is very much the hero of the story and you want good things to happen for him.
A compelling read.
Julie
i really liked this book... about an eccentric man who was involved in a train crash that killed 78 people. he meets a woman named imogen, and they help each other get over their pasts.
Bonnie Mueller
It was interesting to read of a protagonist who is rather unlikable. I was surprised to feel attachment to both Imogen Doody and Straker by the mid-point of the novel.
Clare Coffey
It was ok. I did not really enjoy it as much as I thought that I would. The story could have been told in fewer pages than was written.
Debby Miller
Very enjoyable, great story and great characters! I am going to look for more books by this author. :)
Clbplym
I loved this book. A great tale of two damaged people finding a way to help each other heal
Linda
An interesting tale of dealing with repercussions of life and seemingly random meetings.
Tiah
Quirky characters with complex problems. Fairly tight writing. Interesting imagery.
Susiebow
Fabulous, well written, slips in little surprises, explanations gradually, cleverly.
Justine
odd but affecting read, albeit tinged with British stoicism
  • Temples of Delight
  • とらドラ!
  • A Perfectly Good Man
  • Bang Crunch
  • Wild Dogs
  • Stranger on a Train
  • The Jeeves Collection: Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves / The Inimitable Jeeves / Carry On, Jeeves
  • A Kind Man
  • Sedition
  • The Translation of the Bones
  • The Price Of Love: And Other Stories
  • Passing On
  • Pravda
  • The Last Ride
  • The Night Rainbow
  • Where Three Roads Meet: The Myth of Oedipus (Canongate Myths)
  • Mouthing the Words
  • The Book and the Brotherhood
Astonishing Splashes of Colour The Man Who Disappeared The Language Of Others The Roundabout Man After the Bombing

“Right now, at this moment in time, life was just right. He'd discovered this before. If you don't look forward and you don't look back, you can fix yourself in now and enjoy it.” 1 likes