Start by marking “An Ideal Husband” as Want to Read:
An Ideal Husband

An Ideal Husband

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  30,988 Ratings  ·  784 Reviews
'I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to one's self.'

An Ideal Husband is a comic drama of political and personal deceit. Sir Robert Chiltern is the 'ideal husband' of the play's title, a brilliant young politician, whose eloquence and high principles have set him on the path to high office. His wife, Lady Chiltern, shares
Published March 31st 2003 by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama (first published April 1st 1893)

To ask other readers questions about An Ideal Husband, please sign up.

Monique It's also part of the humor. Lord Caversham calling his son that shows his indignation and disapproval on what his son is (or is not) doing (by not…moreIt's also part of the humor. Lord Caversham calling his son that shows his indignation and disapproval on what his son is (or is not) doing (by not referring to him as his son, or in some familiar, loving way was they usually did then). When Lord Goring replies back to his father with "Lord Caversham" it reaffirms their "strained" relationship, and besides, it's funny. (less)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
An Ideal Husband is an 1895 play by Oscar Wilde, his third most popular work after The Importance of Being Earnest and The Picture of Dorian Gray. In it Wilde explores hypocrisy, corruption, forgiveness and other themes with his trademark epigrammatic humor.

to love oneself

Sir Robert Chiltern, a moral, upstanding politician (pause while I take a moment to ponder whether there is such a thing), with a lovely young wife who idealizes him, turns out to have a major skeleton in his closet: Many years ago, at the st
Duane
It's a delight to read Wilde's plays, clever and witty, and by all accounts people flocked to the theater in his day to enjoy the fun. I hope a production of this one comes to my town someday, I would love to see it. Very entertaining read, right up there with Earnest.
Vane J.
Feb 19, 2015 Vane J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to say this for the millionth time: Oscar Wilde is a freaking genius. Everything he writes is pure gold. I love his sense of humour, and his writing. He was a great man (treated badly by the society in which he lived) and a great writer too. I wish I could let him know that.

This play was as foolish as the previous one I read, and even when I enjoyed that one more, this one was good all the same. The plot follows some particular characters that are all married or being proposed marriage
Connie
Manipulative Mrs Cheveley tries to blackmail Sir Robert Chiltern for a mistake he made as a young man. When his wife finds out, she cannot accept the fact that her husband has imperfections. Lady Chiltern had put him on a pedestal, but no man can be totally righteous. The play has some moments of villainy, levity, and misinterpreted events that lighten the serious themes of reputation, marriage, and forgiveness. The roles of men and women reflect the values of Victorian society.

Oscar Wilde is ve
Emily Snyder
Oct 16, 2011 Emily Snyder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the name "Oscar Wilde" is brought into company, most people immediately think of "The Importance of Being Earnest," or "That fellow who was so witty," or "Oh, wasn't he really, really gay?"

What most people DON'T seem to think of is that Wilde's work was far from trifling (Earnest), more than witty, and often centered quite firmly around the difficulties of heterosexual relationships.

"An Ideal Husband" is a comedy. It's important to remember that when watching recent versions which like to
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Review to come when I figure out whether or not this is as ragingly sexist as I think it might be.
Soumen Daschoudhury
Jul 09, 2014 Soumen Daschoudhury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves satire
I have been grinning all through the reading of this play! If there is a definition of satire, this has to be it (forgive me my ignorance of not having read more of this kind). I have always respected sarcasm because it is one of the wittiest forms of intelligence and if I may take the liberty to say so, a remedy to the plain and dull way of general life. And Oscar Wilde immerses you in it, completely, and you would rather choke on the drollness of his language than struggle to breathe the unem ...more
Jasmine
This wonderful play with gorgeous lines for Lord Goring would have been a solid four star read, were it not for the last couple of pages where Wilde spoilt it for me. Lord Goring, who in my view is the strongest representative of the author’s voice, fell back into a strongly conventional view of women’s place, without the slightest undertone of irony:

Lord Goring: "A man’s life is of more value than a woman’s. It has larger issues, wider scope, greater ambitions. A woman’s life revolves
Sara
Feb 09, 2017 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, bingo-2017
While An Ideal Husband is typical Wilde in many ways, it is not Wilde at his best. Both Lady Windemere's Fan and The Importance of Being Ernest eclipse it. Still, great fun and charged with the kind of wit one expects from Wilde.

There is a play upon role reversal that is hilarious, as it is the woman who puts the man upon a pedestal and then knocks him off. There are the usual high-jinks with letters that come into the wrong hands and a ludicrous, but quite nifty, foiling of the primary villain
Edlira Dibrani
Aug 04, 2015 Edlira Dibrani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE READING OSCAR WILDES BOOKS.

This one is actually amazing <3 I quite enjoy reading his books. And this was beyond amazing.

``Mrs.Cheveley:Ah! the strength of women comes from the fact that psychology cannot explain us. Men can be analysed, women . . . merely adored.``

``Lord Goring: I love talking about nothing, father. It is the only thing I know anything about.``

``Lord Goring: Everything is dangerous, my dear fellow. If it wasnt so, life wouldnt be worth living.``

``Lady Chiltern: And h
Gorab Jain
Apr 05, 2017 Gorab Jain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gorab by: Iniya
Loved this very much due to humour and excessive sarcasm.
Rating - 3.5/5
Favourite character - Lord Goring
High point - Quotes
Low point - Plotline

In this small play, quotes are plenty. You'll find them in every conversation. In fact there is a dialogue between father and son where they talk only in terms of quotes :D
Didn't know some of the famous quotes originated here.
In spite of being a classic, the language is very easy to grasp.
Surely going to read more by Wilde.
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
eAudio from the library

Catching The Classics Group BOTM: Short Story Selection (Though actually it is a play)

Classic Bingo 2017: B2 Classic Comedy or Satire

This is the third example of Oscar Wilde's writing for me and I really liked it.
Jennifer Lynn
Awesome! I have been putting this one off for a bit, as it is a play, not a novel like I originally thought; so I got the audio to accompany my book, and it was splendid! At times full of sorrow, at times hilarious! It reminded me of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' in the way that everything gets mixed up among all the couples in the play! In the end, it is a tale of faithfulness, love, friendship and morality. Well done! "Jolly Good" as they say! ---Jen from Quebec
Katy
Feb 09, 2017 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Enjoyable and witty.
Rebecca
A good one but a bit predictable.
El
(Read as part of the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

One of my bigger problems in life is the inability to read certain texts I know have been turned into movies starring Rupert Everett and not picture him as the star as I read. It's Rupert Everett 24/7 in my head. It's to the point now where even the Oscar Wilde plays I read that weren't turned into Rupert Everett movies are unable to be read without imagining Rupert Everett. I'm broken inside!

However, if you've seen the movie and you've read th
Missy J
Jan 31, 2017 Missy J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining, witty and fun to read! Oscar Wilde in his true element!

This play revolves around the themes of personal and public honor, forgiveness, society's perception of success, gender relations, blackmail, reputation and political corruption. In less than 80 pages, the reader gets a glimpse into late 19th century London high society.

Sir Robert Chiltern and his wife Lady Chiltern are hosting a dinner party when an unexpected guest arrives, Lady Cheveley. The ladies at the party immedia
Ari
Aug 16, 2013 Ari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
IQ Lord Goring: "'I quite agree with you, father. If there was less sympathy in the world there would be less trouble in the world'
Lord Caversham: 'That is a paradox, sir. I hate paradoxes'
Lord Goring: 'So do I, father. everybody one meets is a paradox nowadays. It is a great bore. It makes society so obvious'" Act III

My second-favorite of the Society Comedies, I love that it went for a political scandal which seems especially appropriate and relevant to our (my) time. Plus it has a plethora o
David Lentz
Jun 20, 2011 David Lentz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surely, this is one of the most hilarious comedies ever written by anyone. Every page of the script offers up lines of pure, gracefully articulate wit. Wilde's insight is prodigious and relevant as it could have been written as easily about Wall Street as London of 1895: "Private information is practically the source of every large modern fortune." This is the playwright who, when passing through customs into Canada, was asked if he had anything to declare and replied, "Only my genius." The movi ...more
Girish
Apr 02, 2017 Girish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

An ideal husband is vintage Wilde wit. Tough to claim vintage when you have hardly read 3 books, but sure, it's a book of quotable quotes that can make you sound all intellectual.

The play takes on the English society and the expectations of marriage. It even has a not so intelligent Femme fatale! Centred around Lord Chiltern, the play focuses on how the foundation of marriage can be rattled easily by a forgotten p
Shalini
A short play, engaging nevertheless.
The plot revolves around Lord Chiltern, a pillar of the society and an MP, who is being blackmailed by an adventuress who knows his past, into moving across the parliament, harmful bills. His wife, Lady Chiltern, is upright, honest and will not tolerate any tomfoolery; she moreover loathes Mrs. Chilvers, the adventuress, who was her school mate. Mabel his sister, and Lord Goring, his friend form other major players who have hilarious dialogues.
Enjoyed the repa
Versha
Jul 19, 2013 Versha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013, own-it
It was a quick read like a splash of cold water on the face!! May be because the title ‘An ideal husband’ is an irony in itself compared to the kind of story Oscar Wilde has portrayed here in this book, because the truth he unfolds throughout and the insight that he gives in this play clearly challenges the existence of a ‘ideal husband’ or rather an ‘ideal person’.

Lady Chiltern thinks highly of her husband Sir Robert Chiltern. But as soon as she learns that the money and the status that he has
Jonathan
While this was an excellent play as with all of Wilde's work I found myself again beaten by Wilde at his best. And what I mean there is that I basically found that this was not Wilde's best work and that as a result compared to The Importance of Being Earnest it fell a little flat.

Oscar Wilde's best work for me has always been highlighted by his dazzling wit and brilliant comedy lines. You cannot go past the scene in The Importance of Being Earnest where Algernon is eating muffins for instance.
Jared
Jul 13, 2010 Jared rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having seen versions of The Importance of Being Earnest, this book was a big disappointment. Oscar Wilde tries to tackle some heavier material, with very mixed results. There were still a few moments of humor in the play, but they were very infrequent and not nearly as funny as Earnest.

Wilde did a reasonably good job presenting his main thesis, that people need to support and love each other even though they are imperfect, but the dialogue was rather heavy-handed -- preachy -- and he completely
Linda
Feb 12, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. I'll definitely read more of Oscar Wilde. This was my first!
Mohammed
Aug 10, 2014 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لا تحسبن خطيئة الماضي جثة أنت دافنها، فالموتى لا يعودون، لكن شبح الذنب يطاردك حتى الممات.

الزوج المثالي، هي من أطول مسرحيات أوسكار وايلد وأكثرها نضجا. بينما يتأهب السيد تشيلترن لقطف ثمار مسيرته السياسية، يتعرض لابتزاز شنيع من قبل سيدة لا تتواني عن ارتكاب الموبقات في سبيل طموحها. يغدو تشيلترن في موقف لا يحسد عليه: إما أن يخسر منصبه وزوجته ومكانته الاجتماعية، أو يخسر ماتبقى من شرفه وأمانته. كالعادة، يصوغ وايلد الموقف ببراعة، مع بعض التشويق والحوارات الأخلاقية.

إلى جانب العقدة الرئيسية، تزخر المسرحية
Maria Espadinha
Sep 08, 2016 Maria Espadinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nesta peça de teatro a sociedade inglesa é retratada como um grupo de inúteis especialmente dotados na arte de falar sobre coisa nenhuma!

"I love talking about nothing father. It's the only thing I know about"

Podem encontrá-la aqui: http://www.oldtownplayhouse.com/pdfs/...
Kelly
Jun 01, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Wilde fans
Oscar Wilde, at the height of his powers. It's Earnest, but more evil, and with more pointed social commentary. I can resist anything but temptation... by Oscar Wilde. And this play is among the reasons why.

It's a quick, fun introduction to Wilde and the time period. I recommend it!
Lyra  Goga
May 20, 2016 Lyra Goga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr.Wilde is briillianttt!! Even if his works made no sense and had no plot whatsoever I would still read him because I'm in love with the way he uses language.
Catching up on Cl...: February 2017 - An Ideal Husband 92 134 Mar 01, 2017 03:04AM
Catching up on Cl...: This topic has been closed to new comments. * An Ideal Husband 1 27 Feb 01, 2017 10:39AM
Books2Movies Club: An Ideal Husband 2 10 Dec 10, 2016 01:13PM
  • The History Boys
  • Amadeus
  • Edward II
  • Translations
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” 2921 likes
“Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.” 2024 likes