Start by marking “From Chaos Born (In Her Name: The First Empress, #1)” as Want to Read:
From Chaos Born (In Her Name: The First Empress, #1)

From Chaos Born (In Her Name: The First Empress #1)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  629 ratings  ·  35 reviews
FROM CHAOS BORN is the first book depicting the rise of the alien Kreelan Empire that will later face off in a bloody conflict against humanity in the other novels of the bestselling IN HER NAME series. It is a tale of fantasy and adventure with a touch of science fiction about a warrior race destined to break the shackles of endless chaos and build an empire that would on ...more
Published March 15th 2012 by Imperial Guard Publishing (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about From Chaos Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Chaos Born

Solace Winter
Despite the fact that Mr. Hicks says that you can go into this novel not having read any of the previous novels I have to sincerely disagree. Now, do you have to have read all of them? No. But I think having read In Her Name: Empire saved me from being completely confused. There are a lot of cultural references for the Kreela that if you have not read anything before might seem confusing, especially their almost brutal form of life in such an advanced race.
For me this hurt the book none at all.
Cameluta
Rating 4.5 stars

Unlike the other six books in the series I consider In Her Name: From Chaos Born a fantasy with some elements of sci-fi. The book is packed with action and keeps you hooked from the beginning to the end, but I would have liked to learn more about Kreelan culture (maybe in the next book...). I really liked the fact that Kreelan race was capable of handling advanced technology but they prefer the simple life on the daily basis.
Phoenix Reads
It had been a long time since I read science fiction, but I decided to expand my reading to new genres and picked up Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1) by Michael R. Hicks. I found it to be a wonderful blend of epic fantasy and sci fi.

So read it, loved it, and immediately bought Confederation, and Final Battle.

Michael Hicks created the world of Earth after it had taken to space, having built far-flung, loose colonies that behaved similar to our own nations here on Earth - mistrusting, not nece
Bigal-sa
With this book, if it wasn't for the author's engaging style of writing, it would would have ended up on my abandoned pile. There were many things that really bugged me. For instance, here we have an alien race capable of interstellar travel, yet on their planet they travel around on the backs of animals without the use of the wheel (and every time these beasts are mentioned, they are being ridden to death). But what I hated most of all was that this book ended in such a way that you know there ...more
Ian Wood

R. James
I really enjoyed 'From Chaos Born'. It's dark, it's raw, and it's ruthless in its depiction of the beginnings of the Kreelan Empire. Its a precursor to Author Michael Hicks's other works, but released afterwards - so more like a prequel of sorts, or better yet a primer on what to expect in the other books. The characters are put together well, and not having read the other works, I felt the plot was engaging.

As anyone that has read my reviews knows, I am a stickler for what I call 'polish' on a
Lisa Hapney
From Chaos Born is the first book in the third trilogy that Michael R. Hicks has done in the In Her Name series and is a prequel that takes us back to the time of the first empress of the Kreelan civilization to observe the beginning of the changes to the Kreelan culture and honor system that will eventually lead them to human space far in the future. I really enjoyed it and it was interesting to see the societal struggles that this race faced as it was developing and reaching for the stars in a ...more
Marianne Søiland
Only in Norwegian so far - sorry...
Jeg har ventet i spenning på Hicks' nye Sci-Fi/Fantasy bok i "In Her Name" serien, og glad ble jeg da jeg ble bedt om å editere "From Chaos Born". Boka er den syvende i serien, men i tid utspinner historien seg lenge før første boka "Empire" og veldig lenge før menneskene kom inn i bildet.

Først litt om boka

Kreelan rasen er i konstant og uendelig krig mot hverandre, noe annet liv kjenner de ikke til. Kampene går mellom konger og dronninger om landområder og makt
Jane Blanchard
From Chaos Born is the first in the In Her Name: The First Empress Series by Michael R. Hicks. Written after the other books in the series, it describes the rise of the Dark Queen, Syr-Nagath. As she goes about conquering her Homeworld, Kunan-Lohr, a great warrior and master of the city Keel-A'ar asks for permission to go on leave from battle to return home for the birth of his child. Syr-Nagath only grants him permission if he agrees to mate with her.

When his daughter, Keel-Tath is born, she is
Larry B Gray
From the first page until the last page, From Chaos Born (The First Empress, Book 1) (In Her Name 9) by Michael R. Hicks, grabbed me by the seat of my pants and would not let me go. This action packed, sci-fi book will take your breath away.

The author did an excellent job of developing a storyline that was realistic and fast paced. It was full of plot twist and turns which kept me guessing as to what was going to happen next. I really liked the author's style of storytelling, it made the tale co
Clayton
I have read almost all of Michael Hicks other books, but have not yet felt compelled to move on beyond the first element of this series. Perhaps I have had enough of the Kreelan Empire. Perhaps I think I already know where this story is going and where it is going to end. Perhaps it will be really hard to outdo the "In Her Name" trilogy, especially while casting more stories in the same universe.
Ray Briggs
"In Her Name: From Chaos Born" has proven to be another great read from Michael Hicks. I found the background information to the other books in the series to be flawless and meshed perfectly into the story line. Having the beginning of a story line presented towards the end of a series (just in case other books are written) seemed odd at first glance, however I found that the books I had already read made understanding this one much easier. If this had been presented at the first of the series i ...more
Hollie
Though I gave this five stars, I do have to say I didn't like this quite as much as the In Her Name Redemption series, but that could just be because after being blown away by Redemption, my expectations were REALLY high. But not to fear, this first book in The First Empress delivers. I love that he explores the different key times in his worlds history, each series has such a different feel, yet it is all tied together by an overlying story. All the characters are amazing, be they Kreelan or Hu ...more
Ian Martyn
Read this book in a few days whilst aways on a skiing holiday. Couldn't put it down. Good story that just flows.
keith m diver
7th Time a Winner

Have been waiting a long time to start The First Empress Trilogy this was especially difficult considering how much I loved The Redemption Trilogy and The Last War Trilogy. These books rank up there with Tolkien's Lord of the Ring trilogy and Asimov's Robot series. Totally engrossing. I read this book in one sitting. So much for waiting. This is probably the best of the 7 books I have read so far. Can't wait to see how Keel-Tath evolves into the Empress that turns the Kreel into
Laurie
Another winner! Once again Michael Hicks has transported me to the Kreelan world and created characters that I understood and cared about, and enemies that I wanted to throttle. This is book seven, of the In Her Name series but takes us back thousands of years to a time before Kreelans and humans interacted. The story chronicles the birth of Keel-Tath, a child of prophecy and destined to be a powerful ruler of her world, and of those who want her destroyed. I read this in two days and I highly r ...more
Denise K.
I listened by Kindle text to speech and had a hard time following the story.
Mike Nemeth
Michael R. Hicks continues to develop his Kreelan back story, this time delving into the beginning of new timeline in which women are the only functioning members of society. This traces back to the birth of Keel-Tath and the uprising of the Dark Queen, whose only apparent desire is the destruction and reconstruction of her race. The key figure is a one-armed priest who follows his own advice despite the consequences. Definite must-read for the In Her Name fan.
Clarke Fielding
Excellent start to a prequel of an outstanding franchise.
Bob Caroti

The start of the THIRD Trilogy about the Kreelan civilazation and Mr. Hicks continues to give the 1st book of each series for free ... hoping you'll buy the followons in the e-book world. I certainly have! While it's good for you to read the books in order ... they do work alone. My ONLY complaint is the strange naming convention he uses making it TOUGH to keep up with who is who! Another good read and an excellent young author. Enjoy!
D.W. Davis
Another triumph in the In Her Name series from Mr. Hicks. From Chaos Born keeps the reader engaged and on the virtual edge of his or her seat from the outset. World war, intrigue, betrayal, love, and honor are all explored within the pages of this exciting continuation of the saga.

Anxiously awaiting the next installment, Michael. Hope you're hard at work.
Kathleen
I started this book last night about 8:30, and then just kept on reading until I finished. Loved it!
Michael Hicks had a wonderful ability to suck you right into the story, to where you just keep turning the pages to find out what will happen next.
I can't wait for the next book in this series to be released!
Jay
I did not think I would be interested in this "prequel" to the previous series but I loved it and started reading the next, Forged in Her Name, right away. Usually, with series, I give it some time before reading the next. Not this one.

Kev
Wonderful story & actually individual & unique! Loved it. I've now read the whole series & couldn't wait to find out what happened to all the characters, especially the one alien that follows through the whole series. Wonderful.
Becky
Another fantastic hit by Michael R Hicks! Really love the In Her Name series. Every book has been a joy to read. Such wonderful characters and always a fantastic story.
Thank you for sharing them with us!
Lindsay
I've really enjoyed all the other books in this series by Michael R. Hicks. This one took a turn in a bit of a different direction, but was still very enjoyable.
WonderGoon
I'm disappointed with this book. It hasn't captured my attention the way I had hoped it would and I've officially given up hope of ever finishing it.
Judith
This is just one of the best soft science fiction series I have read, I really enjoy the fantasy elements included.
Eric
Was okay for a quick read. Hicks will obviously develop this into another series. I wish him well.
Susanna
What a great book! I enjoyed reading it! Michael is a fantastic science & fantasy fiction writer!
  • Titans
  • Sky Hunter (The Targon Tales, #1)
  • Forbidden the Stars (The Interstellar Age, #1)
  • Star Chase - The Lost Prince (Star Chase - Book One)
  • Lacuna: Demons of the Void (Lacuna #1)
  • A Question of Will (The Aliomenti Saga, #1)
  • The Last Praetorian (The Redemption Trilogy, #1)
  • Bypass Gemini
  • The Biofab War (Biofab War, #1)
  • Heirs of Mars
  • Queen of Arlin (The Cyber Chronicles, #1)
  • C.R.O.W. (The Union Series, #1)
  • Rookie Privateer (Privateer Tales #1)
  • The Outworlder (Silesia, #1)
  • Test of Magnitude (The Torian Reclamation, #1)
  • Anvil of Tears (The Reforged, #1)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 5: Fracture (Spinward Fringe, #5, Rogue Element, #1)
  • Khe
Born in 1963, Michael Hicks grew up in the age of the Apollo program and spent his youth glued to the television watching the original Star Trek series and other science fiction movies, which continues to be a source of entertainment and inspiration. Having spent the majority of his life as a voracious reader, he has been heavily influenced by writers ranging from Robert Heinlein to David Weber, a ...more
More about Michael R. Hicks...

In Her Name: The First Empress (3 books)
  • Forged in Flame (In Her Name: The First Empress, #2)
  • Mistress of the Ages (In Her Name: The First Empress, #3)
Season Of The Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, #1) First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1) Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1) Confederation (In Her Name: Redemption, #2) Final Battle (In Her Name: Redemption, #3)

“Ride now, my love,” he told her, “as fast as you can. And do not look back.” 0 likes
“A long smear of crimson on the water’s surface drifted by the watching warriors.” 0 likes