Start by marking “An Ideal Husband” as Want to Read:
An Ideal Husband

An Ideal Husband

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  25,541 ratings  ·  547 reviews
Large format for easy reading. Play from the famous dramatist, novelist and poet of the Victorian Era. A celebrity of his time and still renowned for his barbed wit.
Published November 16th 2005 by Dodo Press (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about An Ideal Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ideal Husband

Vane
I'm going to say this for the millionth time: Oscar Wilde is a freaking genius. Everything he writes is pure gold. I love his sense of humour, and his writing. He was a great man (treated badly by the society in which he lived) and a great writer too. I wish I could let him know that.

This play was as foolish as the previous one I read, and even when I enjoyed that one more, this one was good all the same. The plot follows some particular characters that are all married or being proposed marriage
Cheryl Kennedy
"It is not the perfect, but the imperfect who have need of love. It is when we are wounded by our own hands, or by the hands of others, that love should come to cure us-else what use is love at all?"
Oscar Wilde

Is the sentiment about Sir Robert Chiltern, a character in the play with a past secret, or is the author proposing a change in thinking prior to society's knowledge of his secret affair? Work on AN IDEAL HUSBAND began in the early 1890's and opened to positive reviews and corresponding at
Soumen Daschoudhury
Jul 17, 2014 Soumen Daschoudhury rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves satire
I have been grinning all through the reading of this play! If there is a definition of satire, this has to be it (forgive me my ignorance of not having read more of this kind). I have always respected sarcasm because it is one of the wittiest forms of intelligence and if I may take the liberty to say so, a remedy to the plain and dull way of general life. And Oscar Wilde immerses you in it, completely, and you would rather choke on the drollness of his language than struggle to breathe the unem ...more
Emily Snyder
When the name "Oscar Wilde" is brought into company, most people immediately think of "The Importance of Being Earnest," or "That fellow who was so witty," or "Oh, wasn't he really, really gay?"

What most people DON'T seem to think of is that Wilde's work was far from trifling (Earnest), more than witty, and often centered quite firmly around the difficulties of heterosexual relationships.

"An Ideal Husband" is a comedy. It's important to remember that when watching recent versions which like to
David Lentz
Surely, this is one of the most hilarious comedies ever written by anyone. Every page of the script offers up lines of pure, gracefully articulate wit. Wilde's insight is prodigious and relevant as it could have been written as easily about Wall Street as London of 1895: "Private information is practically the source of every large modern fortune." This is the playwright who, when passing through customs into Canada, was asked if he had anything to declare and replied, "Only my genius." The movi ...more
El
(Read as part of the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

One of my bigger problems in life is the inability to read certain texts I know have been turned into movies starring Rupert Everett and not picture him as the star as I read. It's Rupert Everett 24/7 in my head. It's to the point now where even the Oscar Wilde plays I read that weren't turned into Rupert Everett movies are unable to be read without imagining Rupert Everett. I'm broken inside!

However, if you've seen the movie and you've read th
Edlira Dibrani
I LOVE READING OSCAR WILDES BOOKS.

This one is actually amazing <3 I quite enjoy reading his books. And this was beyond amazing.

``Mrs.Cheveley:Ah! the strength of women comes from the fact that psychology cannot explain us. Men can be analysed, women . . . merely adored.``

``Lord Goring: I love talking about nothing, father. It is the only thing I know anything about.``

``Lord Goring: Everything is dangerous, my dear fellow. If it wasnt so, life wouldnt be worth living.``

``Lady Chiltern: And h
Jonathan
While this was an excellent play as with all of Wilde's work I found myself again beaten by Wilde at his best. And what I mean there is that I basically found that this was not Wilde's best work and that as a result compared to The Importance of Being Earnest it fell a little flat.

Oscar Wilde's best work for me has always been highlighted by his dazzling wit and brilliant comedy lines. You cannot go past the scene in The Importance of Being Earnest where Algernon is eating muffins for instance.
Mohammed
لا تحسبن خطيئة الماضي جثة أنت دافنها، فالموتى لا يعودون، لكن شبح الذنب يطاردك حتى الممات.

الزوج المثالي، هي من أطول مسرحيات أوسكار وايلد وأكثرها نضجا. بينما يتأهب السيد تشيلترن لقطف ثمار مسيرته السياسية، يتعرض لابتزاز شنيع من قبل سيدة لا تتواني عن ارتكاب الموبقات في سبيل طموحها. يغدو تشيلترن في موقف لا يحسد عليه: إما أن يخسر منصبه وزوجته ومكانته الاجتماعية، أو يخسر ماتبقى من شرفه وأمانته. كالعادة، يصوغ وايلد الموقف ببراعة، مع بعض التشويق والحوارات الأخلاقية.

إلى جانب العقدة الرئيسية، تزخر المسرحية
Jared
Having seen versions of The Importance of Being Earnest, this book was a big disappointment. Oscar Wilde tries to tackle some heavier material, with very mixed results. There were still a few moments of humor in the play, but they were very infrequent and not nearly as funny as Earnest.

Wilde did a reasonably good job presenting his main thesis, that people need to support and love each other even though they are imperfect, but the dialogue was rather heavy-handed -- preachy -- and he completely
Kelly
Jun 01, 2007 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Wilde fans
Oscar Wilde, at the height of his powers. It's Earnest, but more evil, and with more pointed social commentary. I can resist anything but temptation... by Oscar Wilde. And this play is among the reasons why.

It's a quick, fun introduction to Wilde and the time period. I recommend it!
Catalina
All is good that ends well. A typical comedy comprising both language humour and situational humour. The brilliancy of this short play doesn't come from the story itself, but from the content, dialogues and morals/ethics contained in it.
Let's start with the beginning, shall we?! Take one piece of the ol' Victorian era: “Oh, I love London Society! I think it has immensely improved. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.” (Doesn't th
Yngvild
The genius of An Ideal Husband is that Oscar Wilde breaks every convention of a standard morality tale, and leaves the audience convinced that they have spent a light-hearted, uplifting evening.

During the space of 24 hours, the main characters’ lives are thrown up into the air, tossed about, and land – exactly where they started. Even their self-regard and philosophies of life remain the same. The puritanical, clueless wife still has to be fed her lines by a family friend. Her purpose in life is
Tom
I liked "An Ideal Husband" the best of Oscar Wilde's Society Comedies. He managed to continue his skewering of London society, and of the rich and aristocratic. What shines here, though, is that the characters are beautifully drawn, and the dialogue is funny, but without losing its purpose.

I like how the characters with the most pristine character--Lord Robert and Lady Gertrude--are the ones who find themselves most embroiled in scandal, while the most vapid bon vivant (Lord Goring) ends up show
Cemre
İdeal Bir Koca, sanırım bana ait en eski kitap olma özelliğine sahip. Oscar Wilde'ın ünlü eserlerinden biri olan bu eser, ilk ve son kez 1940 yılında Hilmi Kitabevi tarafından basılmış, o nedenle bulma hususunda biraz güçlük çektiğimi söyleyebilirim. Basım yılından ötürü kullanılan kelimelerin anlamını çıkaramayabiliyorsunuz, yine de 1940 yılında basıldığını düşünecek olursak oldukça anlaşılır bir şekilde Türkçe'ye tercüme edilmiş. Ayrıca İngilizce kelimeler de Türkçe okunduğu gibi yazılmış, örn ...more
Elinor Dashwood
I always enjoy reading Oscar Wilde, his stories are witty, satirical, intricate, and ridiculous. An ideal Husband is no exception. There is so much going on but somehow Wilde wraps it all up in a happy ending.
Alan
I saw this play in London in the 90s, and I seem to recall Judi Dench in it, but maybe that's because of the film version she was in. Maybe it was Peter Hall's version with Anna Cateret. (As I recall, it was Theatre Royal Haymarket.) Because my familiarity arises from seeing the pay, not reading it, I withheld star. Turns out, Ms Dench also avoids reading plays completely in order to push her rehearsal performance.
It struck me as better than Importance in the depth of character. I'm not sure wh
Eirene
This is the play that introduced me to Oscar Wilde's plays. I had been familiar with The Picture of Dorian Gray, but not his plays. Upon re-reading this one, I love it all the more. Wilde has such ability to juxtapose wit and humor with true feelings of nobility and honor. He conveys the depth of character perfectly, and I greatly admire the importance which he places on his sense of justice, which is inherently rooted in a quality of mercy and truth. Lord Goring is my ideal man in so many ways. ...more
Ari
IQ Lord Goring: "'I quite agree with you, father. If there was less sympathy in the world there would be less trouble in the world'
Lord Caversham: 'That is a paradox, sir. I hate paradoxes'
Lord Goring: 'So do I, father. everybody one meets is a paradox nowadays. It is a great bore. It makes society so obvious'" Act III

My second-favorite of the Society Comedies, I love that it went for a political scandal which seems especially appropriate and relevant to our (my) time. Plus it has a plethora o
Marialyce
Oscar Wilde does seemed to have had an seemingly endless amounts of witticisms coupled with lots of common sense. In this play, he again shows his uncanny ability to ferret out truth and apply the everyday ideas of what makes sense in the happenings of people and their relationships to one another. I always so enjoy his dedication to the concept of truth winning out in the end.

In this play, Wilde again presents us with the upper crust of society and shows it produced the very good along with th
Versha
It was a quick read like a splash of cold water on the face!! May be because the title ‘An ideal husband’ is an irony in itself compared to the kind of story Oscar Wilde has portrayed here in this book, because the truth he unfolds throughout and the insight that he gives in this play clearly challenges the existence of a ‘ideal husband’ or rather an ‘ideal person’.

Lady Chiltern thinks highly of her husband Sir Robert Chiltern. But as soon as she learns that the money and the status that he has
Lau

Oscar Wilde es uno de mis autores preferidos y es por eso que no importa lo corto o largo que sea, el argumento, o lo que puedan decir sus personajes, no voy a ser ni un poquitito objetiva.

De todos modos esta es realmente una historia corta. Comienza en una fiesta de la alta sociedad londinense donde se alternan y entrecruzan varias conversaciones, todas arrebatadas de ironía y humor ácido. Algo muy particular que me llamó la atención -y me gustó mucho- es que para describir a los personajes se
Joy H.
Apr 09, 2011 Joy H. marked it as watched-film-only  ·  review of another edition
_An Ideal Husband_ (1895) by Oscar Wilde
Added 4/9/11.
Did not read. Watched film in August 2010. Gave it 4 Netflix stars out of 5.
FILM: 'An Ideal Husband" (1999):
Stars: Rupert Everett, Julianne Moore and Peter Vaughan
"Another of Wilde's social satires, 'An Ideal Husband' revolves around the lives of two men, successful political figure Sir Robert Chiltern and his friend the uninspired but utterly charming Lord Arthur Go
Emadeddin
description
Now I can give a little info to anyone who didn't read anything for Wilde: If you read his only novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray" first, then you won't like any of his other works!!

As for me, Dorian Gray was the best, and I feel it's very hard for me to love any other Wilde-work more than it.

An Ideal Husband is very good though. I recommend it. And I recommend anything written by Wilde cuz he has that unique ability to draw your full attention. It's magic.
The unprincipled Mrs Cheveley threatens to reveal Sir Robert Chiltern's secret past unless he agrees to give his support in Parliament to a questionable Argentinian venture. Faced with ruin in the eyes of the country and his wife, he seems to have no alternative. Wildean wit and the elegance of English society is woven into this classic drama.

The movie is available at You Tube.
Karim Mohamed
لم تعجبني هذه المسرحية مثل مسرحية "أهمية أن تكون إرنست" ، الحبكة كانت جيدة و لكن عيب هذه المسرحية بعض الأجزاء المملة ، هناك بالطبع جرعة السخرية من المجتمع كباقي أعمال أوسكار ، في العموم كانت مسرحية جيدة

Raghd Hamzeh
The storyline is good, but the repeated statements of why women's goals in life are to serve their husbands put me off. At the very least, in the end, I would have liked for Sir Robert Chiltern not to accept the position.

It does have some funny parts, especially where Lord Goring is concerned.
Nitya Sivasubramanian
The challenge in enjoying The Importance of Being Earnest lies in enjoying the perfection of imperfect people. In An Ideal Husband, the challenge lies in reveling in the imperfections of perfect people.

I start with that sentence because unfortunately Earnest is so memorably engraved into my soul that I cannot read Wilde without attempting to compare. However, when I manage to detangle for a second, it's glaringly obvious how much style and wit go into every line in this play as well. Filled wit
Arushi Kapoor
Most charming play I ever read. Especially the wildly amusing tête-à-tête between Mabel and Lord Goring. I disliked how Lady Chiltern who is so incorruptible and honest a woman would overlook her husband's moral flaws and forgive him so easily.
Marta Olesnevych
Quotes:

"An aquaintance that begins with a compliment is sure to develop into a real friendship"

"...the strength of a woman comes from the fact that psychology cannot explain us. Men can be analysed, women...merely adored"

"I love talking about nothing..it is the only thing I know anything about"

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself"

"...she wore far too much rouge last night, and not quite enough clothes. That is always a sign of despa
Are Any of Oscar Wilde's Works Not Plays??? 8 59 Oct 15, 2013 07:23AM
  • Lysistrata
  • Travesties
  • The Three Sisters
  • Translations
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   The Canterville Ghost The Happy Prince

“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” 2631 likes
“Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.” 1829 likes