The Fire of Dawn

The Fire of Dawn

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It’s the last day of the summer holiday in The Hague when Leah Koopmans’s carefree life as a teen is brutally flipped upside down. Her pale skin turns a dazzling gold, her senses heighten, and her muscles possess an uncanny strength. But with these exhilarating new powers comes a thirst that can only be quenched by one thing: human blood.

While her body craves for fresh vic...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Smashwords Edition (first published March 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fire of Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire of Dawn

Lizzy Lessard
Overall: If you’ve ever wanted the gritty details of blood lust as a vampire, Fire of Dawn won’t disappoint. The first few chapters really fit the narrative, while the main character, Leah, is overdosing on her new abilities – so are we. The author doesn’t simply tell you the Leah can see better than humans – taste better – hear better – smell better. She dowses the reader in details making you understand that Leah is definitely a vampire. I loved how Leah’s first human kill is portrayed. Leah i...more
Tiffany
This story was a definite surprise. V.V. Aku gives the reader plenty of twist in this adventurous tale. We are introduced to Leah, the main character, whom we think we’ve gotten to know. Just when you think you have it figured out exactly what she is, you Don’t. Leah is not alone though. She is hunted for what she is in more ways than one by several people.

We are introduced to a variety of characters. There is her friends, her parents, her true people who are looking for her, and then there is...more
V.V. Aku
Apr 03, 2012 V.V. Aku rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
A note from the author:

As a huge fan of vampires, but someone who hates to see them as soulless monsters, The Fire of Dawn offered me the opportunity to create immortals that aren’t cold-skinned and undead, but alive and intriguing creatures. I hope that you will enjoy Leah Koopmans, who discovers on her eighteenth birthday that she is an immortal, ancient Lili Fan, a Chinese martial arts master trapped inside the body of a fourteen-year-old, and sexy, Italian Max Machiavelli. Let the story take...more
Ernest Bellingan
I found this book by accident & what a find I'm so excited to discover a new brilliant writer. This story is completely unique & it's a completely different take on vampires. It's a real thrilling read one you won't be able to put down. The ride through the world was fantastic & for those who have traveled to some of these places will make this story even more thrilling. The characters are exciting & completely unique. I can't wait to see where this series I'm hoping it'll be a s...more
V.V. Aku
Oct 01, 2012 V.V. Aku rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Finally! After much anticipation. The Fire of Dawn is finally available in Paperback!

Claim your copy at any Amazon store or at Barnes and Noble.

Enjoy.

V.V. AKU
Natasja
The Fire of Dawn by V.V. Aku is her debut novel and a book I couldn’t put down. This story took me in from the first page and kept me reading till it was done. I was drawn to this book when I read the book description and I have to say it didn’t disappoint me.

Leah Koopman’s is a young woman who just turned eighteen and that is exactly the time when everything changes in her life. She finds out the hard way that she isn’t quite human and that some brotherhood is hunting her since the day she was...more
Darkfallen
I just want to start by saying that this is more like 3.5 stars.

Leah has always thought she was just a normal girl. That is until her 18th birthday when everything changes without warning. One minute she is out partying with her friends and the next she's running away from the club that is now on fire. She doesn't know how she did it, but she knows that she is to blame. Not knowing what is going on with her, but she knows she can't go home, she runs into a group of people that tell her that the...more
Between the Bind
4.5 Stars from Between the Bind

This book begins with our heroine, Leah, celebrating her 18th birthday at a club with her friends. Then, she wakes up vaguely remembering an explosion, not knowing where she is or how she got there. As she's running through the streets trying to find her way home, Leah discovers that she can move extremely quickly...and her throat is burning...and blood is all over her body.

Finally finding her way back home, Leah's watches her parents cry and comfort each other in...more
Ellen
Leah Koopman finds herself waking up after celebrating her 18th birthday to the most horrible dream. She remembers a fire, an explosion, her best friend being incinerated along with a lot of others. Surely this can't be true, but then she looks down and finds herself covered in soot and realizes that her nightmare is real. She takes off running, suddenly realizing that everything has changed. She notices that she can now see things she that couldn't see before. All of her senses are heightened....more
Mary Grace
I just finished The Fire of Dawn by V.V. Aku and I was surprised to like it as much as I did. The Fire of Dawn is a novel that I couldn’t quite identify the characters in it but before that let’s talk about The Fire of Dawn as a whole.

Leah celebrates her 18th birthday with her bestfriend when suddenly the club is engulfed by a huge surge of fire from an unknown source killing her bestfriend and everybody in the club. Leah seems to believe that this is a dream until she sees her condition – cloth...more
Rachael Woohoo
Check out my tour stop for an international giveaway of this wonderful book @ Moosubi Reviews (:

So when I started the book, realizing it was about something along the lines of vampires, like a lot of people I imagined something along the lines of this well-known book:

*Image Courtesy of Wikipedia*

And of course, my interpretation of Max, along with the other male immortals came out something along the lines of this:

*Image Courtesy of jmercurio44 @ Blingee.com*

Anyways, onto the review! It's nee...more
Soma "Insomnia Of Books"

-- My Thoughts --
I don't actually know hot to start my review of this book, it's just that it was a wonderful addition to my reading list. This book can be described as Twilight-like with a new twists and turns.
Leah barely survives a huge explosion that killed her friends and everyone in the bar, where she went to celebrate her 18th birthday. After gaining back her consciousness, Leah realizes she has a hugely-improved eye vision, hearing ability, and that she is hungry. She is craving for foo...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This book didn’t start super strong, but the final third made the story worth reading. The ending was very satisfying, and I really felt for the characters during the final scenes.

I have to admit that I didn’t much care for Leah.I had no idea who she was, or what she was like before her powers suddenly developed. It was like her life only began once her powers manifested, or like her previous life was just gone. It felt odd, and left me with little sympathy for what she was going through.

The lov...more
Toni Sinns
The Paranormal aspect of this book was great. I LOVED LOVED LOVED (did I say that enough?) LOVED the "vampires". I was so happy to read about vampires that were not all lovey dovey passive. They are out for blood and I LOVED IT!!

The Romance aspect well didn't really do it for me. The whole thing was a bit to fast and unrealistic for even a paranormal. So if you're into that then awesome. Me I'm not.

Over all the story did hold my attention and had some great adventure action scenes that kept me w...more
Susan
Fast paced, entertaining and very difficult to put down. V.V. Aku pens her characters strong within a great story line. I found the book refreshing as it was a different take on vampires than I am used to. I recommend "The Fire of Dawn" to everyone who loves the vampire genre.

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
LAWonder10
This was a very well-written vampire story with a unique view of what vampires really are. It was written in a manner that would be fit for Young Adults and adults.
The point was a little overdone but with enough action and intrigue that it wasn't objectionable.
Contains good points of discussion for Book Clubs.
Elouise
Elouise marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Scott Middleton
Scott Middleton marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Tammy Shanks
Tammy Shanks marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Emma Keller-
Emma Keller- marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
When do you know the time is right? 1 1 Apr 29, 2012 05:53PM
Immortals vs Vampires 1 1 Apr 03, 2012 09:09PM
V.V. Aku has always believed in beautiful stories. She found the man of her dreams and her way in complex China, and wrote a fairytale of her own: The Fire of Dawn-a scintillating tale about strength, self-discovery, and a girl who dared to follow her heart.

Born and raised in The Netherlands, V.V. Aku (Veerle Ackerstaff) soon discovered that the world was a place worth exploring. After graduating...more
More about V.V. Aku...