House of Dead Trees

House of Dead Trees

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From Amazon.com:

When paranormal investigators Allen Mandel, Jane Rivers and Billy Kasch are invited to film the infamous Forester House for their popular cable television show Ghost Scouts, they think they've scored the coup of the season.

Forester House is reputed to be one of the most haunted houses in the country. For 130 years it has hosted tragedy, madness, perversion...more
Published December 12th 2011 by Cobra E-books

Charlene
I read this book with my Shelfari horror group.

First off-what I liked. the premise of this book was excellent. A house built on land previously inhabited by certain tribes that used a form of burial called sky burial. Basically, this means they hung their corpses in trees.

This story worked in a back and forth format, from a time long ago to the present time. A team of "Ghost Hunters" arrive at an old uninhabited home that has a reputation of being haunted, to perform an investigation with the ne...more
Kelly Walker
Aug 06, 2012 Kelly Walker rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of ghost stories, haunted house stories, Ghost Hunters fans
I'm a sucker for a haunted house story, so this was a natural pick. The premise of an ancient evil encompassing a home is not a new one, but Redux is quite creative in buiding backstory for this house. That said, I would have enjoyed it more if as much creativity was used for his characters. They seem shallow and a bit underdeveloped - a couple are almost caricatures. That one character had suffered molestation as a child would have been more acceptable if that carried weight in the plot of the...more
David Briggs
the book is based off the T.V. shows ghost adventures and ghost hunters. very good book with the exception of sexual abuse in the charter development that I belive could have been left out. was a fun book to read late at night
Liz
All in all a great, quick read! I love "haunted house" stories and this was a good one. The author is obviously a huge Shirley Jackson fan which is great and he makes it work without feeling like a "rip-off story". If you are looking for a fast paced, plot driven summer read this is perfect.
Jallenecs
Finished this one last night. It wasn't bad. Not perfect, but fun to read. The sexual stuff, both in background and in the story itself seemed out of place. Also, I didn't like the prologue; it was unnecessary to the story.
Kim Switzer
This book lost points with me for spelling a character's name two different ways amongst other grammatical and continuity errors. Also, I really felt that the "ancient times" sequences were there for no reason except for a brief scene at the end which seemed thrown in to give reason to the history scenes. Finally, a few too many cliches crept in (and describing things as Lovecraftian twice counts as cliche in my book). It was a fun read, but I was a little disappointed overall.
Leah
This was a pretty fast and fun read -- if you like haunted house novels. It was really a riff off Hell House, but that is not a bad thing. I wished it was a bit more developed -- but it was action packed beginning to end. It was also coherent in explaining what was behind the haunting in a fairly plausible way -- unusual for most horror books that either tack on a silly explanation or leave loose ends.
Barbara
This was a great idea, and the back story was excellent. The pace of the book was perfect, with the development of each character coming along nicely. However, there was no need for Jane's backstory or the questions about Allen's marriage, as the ending was so abrupt. The end of the entire book came way too fast, and should have been finished more smoothly. Great idea, just poor execution.
Vanessa Silva-chobanian
House of Dead Trees had great Character development. The story was exciting and unique to say the least. I could not put this book down. This is not your typical horror novel. As usual Mr. Reduce uses a combination of ancient and modern day to weave a story that will intrigue you and keep you on your toes.
Lindsay
Fun, scary Halloween choice. I read this pretty quickly as it is an interesting spin on your typical haunted house story. Some parts were a little more graphic than I had expected, not crazy, just not expected.
Mary
This book had a few good spooky moments and some twists and turns. But it never really had that "jump out of your seat and turn the lights up" moments.
Rebecca McKeown
There were several typos throughout the book, which were quite distracting. Otherwise, the book was entertaining and kept me reading.
Brenda
I will never go into a root cellar or look at tree roots the same way again. Did not see that coming!
Glenn
All I can say is this is about what I'd expected from a person named "Rod Redux."
Brittney
A nice change from your traditional haunted house story.
M.V. Gaius
M.V. Gaius marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jun 23, 2014
Debra Nemsick
Debra Nemsick marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Tiffany O'Brien
Tiffany O'Brien marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born in Southern Illinois, Rod was raised in a very liberal home environment and was exposed at an early age to the classic underground comic book scene of the sixties and seventies, as well as European graphic novels by artists like Moebius, Enki Bilal and Milo Manara. At age 9, he was reading Tolkien and Stephen King. He wrote his first novella at age 10. If you want to read the same old formula...more
More about Joseph Duncan...
The Oldest Living Vampire Tells All (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga, #1) The Oldest Living Vampire on the Prowl (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga, #2) Mort The Oldest Living Vampire in Love (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga, #3) Menace of Club Mephistopheles

“And what was the truth? Simply enough: that the world in which we are born, the world in which we spend our every waking hour… that world is an illusion. It is a beautiful fantasy, a bright and shining madness, full of pleasure and pain, appetite and satiation. There is love and hate, the seasons and the heavens and all manner of colorful baubles whose only purpose is to distract from the reality that lies beyond. All of it trickery, and reality waiting just a hair’s breadth away, crouched like a starving predator, ready to devour any hand that might come plunging through.” 0 likes