Start by marking “House of Dead Trees” as Want to Read:
House of Dead Trees

House of Dead Trees

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In "Nyal's Story", bestselling indie author Rod Redux stepped outside the bounds of his popular Oldest Living Vampire series to fill in some of the gaps in the immortal Gon's memoirs. Now, he tells the mesmerizing story of the oldest living vampire's beloved immortal child, the 2,000 year old Apollonius.

The body slave of a violent and perverse aristocrat, Apollonius dreams
Published December 12th 2011 by Cobra E-books

To ask other readers questions about House of Dead Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Dead Trees

I read this book with my Shelfari horror group.

First off-what I liked. the premise of this book was excellent. A house built on land previously inhabited by certain tribes that used a form of burial called sky burial. Basically, this means they hung their corpses in trees.

This story worked in a back and forth format, from a time long ago to the present time. A team of "Ghost Hunters" arrive at an old uninhabited home that has a reputation of being haunted, to perform an investigation with the ne
Karen B.
Another haunted house tale

House of Dead Trees is more than a haunted house story, in that the enemy is more than spirits of those who had passed but an entity in itself. The prologue, which begins the background of the entity was dull and I almost chose not to continue reading. What I liked about the book was the character's with each of their own life problems before the "Ghost Scouts" begin their investigation of what is reported to be one of the most haunted houses in the country. The house i
Aug 06, 2012 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of ghost stories, haunted house stories, Ghost Hunters fans
I'm a sucker for a haunted house story, so this was a natural pick. The premise of an ancient evil encompassing a home is not a new one, but Redux is quite creative in buiding backstory for this house. That said, I would have enjoyed it more if as much creativity was used for his characters. They seem shallow and a bit underdeveloped - a couple are almost caricatures. That one character had suffered molestation as a child would have been more acceptable if that carried weight in the plot of the ...more
Jessica George
Inventive, creepy & descriptive haunted house/horror story!

This book was a quick read-only started it yesterday and just finished now, but it was great! More like a psychological thriller than a mystery, but with mysterious ghosts & suspenseful scenes filling nearly every page near the end! Some scenes were more descriptive (both horror and sex scenes included but all are pretty short & seem fairly necessary in order to get a better angle and understanding for all of the characters.
Donna Nova
Scary and something new to haunted house stories.

I love a good ghost story, especially with a new twist. At first I thought there was too much sexual shenanigans taking away from the story. I was wrong. I'm not one to explain the plot, I'll just say kudos to excellent character building. For a story with so much going on and quite a few personalities, I was never lost. I felt attached to every one of them, or I'll say I understood them very well. Francis especially, bravo!
Spoiler Alert:
My only
David Briggs
the book is based off the T.V. shows ghost adventures and ghost hunters. very good book with the exception of sexual abuse in the charter development that I belive could have been left out. was a fun book to read late at night
Aniko Carmean
A group of nearly-jaded ghost hunters travel to Forester House, a locale reputed to have a brutal past and plenty of supernatural activity. Forester House is built on the land previously occupied by the Onemara, or the "Dreaming People." The Onemara propitiated the dark elemental of their land, first with sky burials, and later with forcible human sacrifice. The two timelines are bound by the land in which they play out, and Duncan sets the scene for it to be believable when the two stories inte ...more
This was a good book to read right around Halloween time. I think more people would read this book if it had a another title. If you like haunted house stories and strange family histories you will like this book. It kept me interested to the very end. And the end was not a disappointment. (This story made me really miss clove cigarettes! LOL)
Deidra Turner
Hell House hath no fury like The House of Dead Trees

A classic haunted house tale that isn't so classic, this is a page turner from the get go. Based on a reality show ghost hunting team investigating the most haunted house in the country, the chills, thrills and surprises make this one very scary fun house ride.
elton dungan
Very unusual

Real glad the ghost chaser shows are not that deadly. Pun intended. Liked the title. It made me pay for book. It was worth it. Nothing could ever convince me that trees are bad but this book came close.
Marie Locklear
Loved it.

Wasn't sure at first how this would pan out......but just when I thought I would put it down, it goes HAM SANDWICH! Loved it!!!
Hannah Vongphachan

Been a long time since I have found a "spook" book that could hold my interest. Storyline was good. Characters were believable.
Juliana fern
I really tried to get into this book but could not get past the first chapter after the prologue it got boring so I deleted it from my library
K. Hankerson

Couldn't put it down. I loved the two stories intertwining. I could really relate to the characters. Scary, scary, scary
Alina Hake
I really enjoy this author! Great suspense, they are quick reads! Great story lines and writing!
Kim Switzer
This book lost points with me for spelling a character's name two different ways amongst other grammatical and continuity errors. Also, I really felt that the "ancient times" sequences were there for no reason except for a brief scene at the end which seemed thrown in to give reason to the history scenes. Finally, a few too many cliches crept in (and describing things as Lovecraftian twice counts as cliche in my book). It was a fun read, but I was a little disappointed overall.
Leah Polcar
This was a pretty fast and fun read -- if you like haunted house novels. It was really a riff off Hell House, but that is not a bad thing. I wished it was a bit more developed -- but it was action packed beginning to end. It was also coherent in explaining what was behind the haunting in a fairly plausible way -- unusual for most horror books that either tack on a silly explanation or leave loose ends.
This was a great idea, and the back story was excellent. The pace of the book was perfect, with the development of each character coming along nicely. However, there was no need for Jane's backstory or the questions about Allen's marriage, as the ending was so abrupt. The end of the entire book came way too fast, and should have been finished more smoothly. Great idea, just poor execution.
Vanessa Silva-chobanian
House of Dead Trees had great Character development. The story was exciting and unique to say the least. I could not put this book down. This is not your typical horror novel. As usual Mr. Reduce uses a combination of ancient and modern day to weave a story that will intrigue you and keep you on your toes.
All in all a great, quick read! I love "haunted house" stories and this was a good one. The author is obviously a huge Shirley Jackson fan which is great and he makes it work without feeling like a "rip-off story". If you are looking for a fast paced, plot driven summer read this is perfect.
Finished this one last night. It wasn't bad. Not perfect, but fun to read. The sexual stuff, both in background and in the story itself seemed out of place. Also, I didn't like the prologue; it was unnecessary to the story.
Fun, scary Halloween choice. I read this pretty quickly as it is an interesting spin on your typical haunted house story. Some parts were a little more graphic than I had expected, not crazy, just not expected.
This book had a few good spooky moments and some twists and turns. But it never really had that "jump out of your seat and turn the lights up" moments.
Rebecca McKeown
There were several typos throughout the book, which were quite distracting. Otherwise, the book was entertaining and kept me reading.
I will never go into a root cellar or look at tree roots the same way again. Did not see that coming!
All I can say is this is about what I'd expected from a person named "Rod Redux."
A nice change from your traditional haunted house story.
Gerda Du
Gerda Du marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Apartment Seven
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • The Woman from the Blue Lias (a murder mystery)
  • The Calling: A Supernatural Thriller
  • The Burning Z
  • The Tower
  • Paskagankee (Paskagankee, #1)
  • Haunted
  • House of Fear
  • The Third Floor (Angel Hill, #1)
  • Devil's Briar:  The Complete Series (All 8 Books)
  • The Dwelling
  • Haven House
  • Lineage: A Supernatural Thriller
  • The Supernaturals: A Ghost Story
  • Head Games
  • Sacrifices
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
Born in Southern Illinois, Joseph was raised in a very liberal home environment and was exposed at an early age to the classic underground comic book scene of the sixties and seventies, as well as European graphic novels by artists like Moebius, Enki Bilal and Milo Manara. At age 9, he was reading Tolkien and Stephen King. He wrote his first novella at age 10. If you want to read the same old form ...more
More about Joseph Duncan...
The Oldest Living Vampire Tells All (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga, #1) The Oldest Living Vampire on the Prowl Mort The Oldest Living Vampire Betrayed (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga Book 4) The Oldest Living Vampire In Love (Oldest Living Vampire Saga #3)