Aliens, Smith and Jones

Aliens, Smith and Jones

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Connor Smith works for Primrose, an organization tasked with monitoring and tracking aliens and alien technology. It's a job that doesn't know the meaning of "nine-to-five". It also doesn't leave much room for a social life, a complication that Connor hasn't minded, until now. At the prodding of his best friend, Connor reluctantly puts himself back in the dating pool, even...more
Published July 20th 2012 by Storm Moon Press (first published July 19th 2012)

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
306th out of 602 books — 1,383 voters
My Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyThe Englor Affair by J.L. LangleyGravitational Attraction by Angel MartinezDark Space by Lisa HenryMind Fuck by Manna Francis
Best Gay Science Fiction Romance
88th out of 239 books — 392 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
Jul 07, 2014 julio rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
annoyances started piling up, and then it was just a matter of time before i grew too irritated to continue.

it's a pity. some good elements here, but i have a vile temper and zero tolerance for books who posit that a hundred year old men-in-black style agency would employ a man dumb enough to suspect that an alien disguised as a bookseller and living peacefully on our planet since the 17th century was the vanguard of a super-crafty invasion.

because, you know, after nearly four hundred years, e.t...more
MandyM
Interesting Scifi novel about an organisation that monitors alien life on Earth. The story follows Connor, an operative of the organisation, who has been suffering blackouts possibly caused by an alien attack. Connor's superiors stop at nothing to find the cause of his attacks. When they bring in the perpetrator, Noah, a strange tale emerges of Noah's history and his connection with Connor.

Some things didn't really gel for me in this story. Firstly describing Noah's true state as being like 'fl...more
SueM
I really enjoyed this story of Connor, an agent working for Primrose (an intelligence agency created to investigate and control all things alien) and Noah, a long-stranded alien whose life energy connects unwittingly to Connor's. While this is only the second book I have read from this author, it is obvious that her writing has matured with time. The story is evenly paced and the characters are, for the most part well-rounded. While it was glaringly obvious who one of the "bad guys" was - and I...more
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Connor is an agent of Primrose and the PA of a well-known lieutenant within the organization. He's worked hard at his job, doing detective work in the office and field finding aliens and alien artifacts, and the fact that he was handpicked for his job and works well with his very picky boss shows how well regarded he is by his colleagues. He works strange hours, just like regular detectives, which leaves little time for a love life. His best friend...more
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Conner works for a company that secretly investigates anything alien, making sure alien artifacts don’t fall into the wrong hands. But, just recently somebody is getting to the artifacts before they can. On top of that worry, Conner seems to have gained a stalker who he has a very strange connection with, is it friend or foe? Noah has managed to stay under Primrose’s radar since the company came into being...more
Lamar54
Not very original, predictable, and some what loosely written. With that said, I would have given the story three stars, except for the science Noah used when he completed his transformation to human.

First, dermis is a term first use in the 19th century, which is several hundred years later than when Noah did his transformation. Next, Van Leeuwenhoek did not publish his work with the microscope until 1673(c). At that time merely discussing the size & shape of the body's cells was a big deal....more
Eepa *mm loving bookworm*
What a great book! Very well paced story with good action scenes and then more sedate, life-will-go-on episodes where we get to see the MCs in their everyday lives. Makes the story line that much more believable, when there is actually time where investigation takes place so that we have a reason for the next action scene. It all unfolds without a hurry and even has some setbacks so not everything is given on a golden plate. I do appreciate it when the MCs' have to actually do something in order...more
Jenre
I've read an enjoyed a couple of short stories by this author and was keen to see how she wrote over a longer book. It seems like ages since I've read a science fiction story too, so I was looking forward to this one.

The story follows Connor who works as an agent for 'Primrose' an agency who monitors and polices alien activity. He's has a couple of funny 'episodes' where he feels a strange tingling sensation and almost blacks out, but puts it down to stress at work. Through a friend and work col...more
Elisa Ramblings
On the trend of MIB, Aliens, Smith and Jones is one very nice sci-fi/fantasy story; set in a contemporary setting, like in the MIB movie series, it suggests aliens are living between us, and a special force unit has the task to track them down. Most of the time, aliens are not dangerous creatures, and when Connor and his colleagues hunt them, it’s more to protect than to damage.

Then one day something strange happens to Connor, he “senses” another being literally poking his mind; Noah is an alien...more
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
3.5 Stars

Connor is an agent with Primrose. A secret agency in charge of all things aliens. He’s currently trying to find out who keeps stealing alien artifacts. Those things in the wrong hands are incredibly scary. His job doesn’t allow for time for any real relationships to develop. So his best friend tricks him into a meeting guy named Jason. Jason is gorgeous and funny. Connor is a little surprised someone like Jason is so interested in him. Especially after all the cancellations he has to ma...more
Matthew
I can't say I didn't like this book. I read it in a day and it went along quickly, but I never connected with it that much. The sex scenes, relatively infrequent, were pretty good, but not great. The plot line was well developed with interesting characters, although I found the ending a little overly sad given the light tone of the book. The idea of the aliens and Primrose was interesting, but not really original or well-developed... it wasn't a world that caught my attention. I found Connor Smi...more
NannyOgg *Not Nancy*
Doctor Who references everywhere!
Kadee
I had a hard time getting through this one. It was just slow and at times it felt like pulling teeth to get to the next chapter. Dense, I guess is a good word. The narrative felt really dense.

Some of my rating is as a result (view spoiler)...more
Alex
Overall
An enjoyable romance/mystery with a bit of sci-fi thrown in. Some fun and interesting characters, some twists I wasn’t expecting, but some of the mystery in the mystery plot was not too mysterious.

Review
Noah and Connor are good leading men. They are decent guys who aren't perfect, they have a good chemistry (alien biology aside!), and you want them to have a happy ending. They are also surrounded by various other types of characters, which keeps interactions fresh and lets Arden show diff...more
Victoria Zagar
3.5 stars.

Noah is an alien who became trapped on Earth in the 1600s. Feeling a connection to a human for the first time in hundreds of years, he seeks out the man, only to find Connor is an agent for Primrose, an alien-tracking agency. Worse than that, Connor is already happy with a boyfriend at his side. But the link is something not easily broken. Will fate pull them together or will their special link fall by the wayside?

I'm a huge fan of the X-Files and had a time in my life where I was prac...more
Holly
3.75 Stars but I had enough fun with it to round it up to 4.

OK. I have *no* idea why this is on the Lesser Known list, because it's; a pretty good book! The characters are likable, the plot is engrossing, there's suspense and action and a very sweet relationship at the core. It really needs to be more widely read! I've read books that were no where NEAR as good yet have tons of ratings. So read this! Get it better known! :)

Anyway. The book. It's a bit like a sprinkle of Torchwood, another sprink...more
A
Connor Smith is just an ordinary guy with an uninteresting life and a boring job. At least this is what it would seem to the outside observer. In truth, he works as an agent for a top-secret company called Primrose, and his job is anything but boring. He monitors and tracks aliens and alien technology, and he’s good at it. Lately, he’s been spending his days searching for missing aliens and trying to track down missing artifacts that continue to elude them. His job is crazy, a little bit dangero...more
Lis
**Review for Rarely Dusty Books**

It’s no secret that I enjoy books by this author and I couldn’t wait to pick this one up. My only regret is that the review is very very late. *hangs head in shame*

Aliens, Smith & Jones is a step away from the fantasy that we’re used to from this author, but it’s certainly not less than any of her previous books. Aliens, Smith & Jones is a thrilling read with exquisite attention to detail and a well developed plot.

It would be a shame to give away...more
Kukko
If I had to be an alien, I would want to be like Noah - he is truly immortal, able to travel the universe, visiting planets and taking on any shape or form he desires, and he has the ability to record all his experiences.

This is a clever, but at times frustrating, MM romance between Noah (the alien) and Connor, a personal assistant and field operative for an agency that manages alien activity on earth.

At the beginning of the book, several significant events took place and because these Events w...more
Ayanna
This was quite weird. I still don't quite understand the transformation thing and I'm not entirely certain if it's because it really was that esoteric or that I just didn't real carefully enough.

I didn't like that some of the things implied earlier on seemed to have been ignored so the author could declare it an HEA. There was also a point where it started to seem like it was dragging on and on (and on and on).

Yeah. I liked it, I think.

It really was MIB, though. The whole "Primrose" thing. Some...more
Alison
Having read some of Blaine D. Arden's other tales, this one seemed a much more dry read than they were. I was a little disappointed by this story. It had a great deal of possibility, an interesting plot and storyline, and an original character in the way of Noah. I found Noah to be well written in that his experience were believable, even down to why he chose "Noah" for a name.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into the story. The start was intriguing, and the way Connor and Noah first meet is v...more
Tamela
I loved Noah and felt so bad for him, stranded and so alone. Connor was a lucky chance though it was a rough road getting together.

The fact that the bad guy turns out to be someone Connor is seeing is one of my nightmare scenario's. How awful to put your trust in someone and be so betrayed.

Luckily Connor is strong enough to enable the connect between himself and Noah have it become something special and useful... not just painful or awkward.

I enjoyed the likeness to Men in Black, even if it didn...more
Megan
Apr 04, 2014 Megan added it
Ravon Silvius
I liked this a lot. The set up was interesting, and all of the characters were well fleshed out. I absolutely loved Noah especially-there's something about a lonely, stoic character that really gets to me.

The ending, though, kept this from being five stars. I would have liked to see more of how Noah and Connor's relationship developed, which felt rather cursory for a romance novel. I was expecting more at the end, but their relationship felt a bit understated. Also, I really didn't see a need f...more
Tj
So this was a different sci-fi book. For once the "alien" isn't thought of as an automatic science project. I did love that factor in the book. I enjoyed seeing the descriptions of the different aliens. The characters were interesting and overall the story was well written. I did have a few niggles with the science history accuracy. I thought the bad guy was a bit too obvious. Even given this it was an enjoyable read.
Patricia Lynne
The beginning was slow and steady, but about 1/3 the story really picked up and couldn't put it down. I would have liked to learned a little more about Primrose. They were a secret agency, but there were a few times it didn't seem like humanity was unaware of aliens like I thought. The suspense was great and I found myself on the edge of my seat even during non-action sequences. Overall, a great, sci-fi read.
Lily
This was an enjoyable story although I did have a couple of problems with it. (view spoiler)
Susinok
Good science fiction story with a bit of everything. An alien abduction (a few in fact) but not what you think, a psychic connection with said alien, and alien artifact heists. I had fun reading this book. It was an interesting world.
Michael Joseph
A full review of Aliens, Smith and Jones can be found on my blog.
  • Changing Worlds
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Sub Zero (An ESTO Universe Novel)
  • Fragile Bond
  • The Ronin and the Fox
  • Aklesh
  • The Trust
  • Line and Orbit
  • Making Ends Meet
  • Death's Head (Narc, #1)
  • Catalyst (Argo, #1)
  • Finding King (The Breaker, #1)
  • Bomber's Moon
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
  • The Green-Eyed Monster (Crucifox, #1)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant, #1)
Blaine D. Arden is a purple-haired, forty-something author of gay & trans* romance mixed with fantasy, mystery, and magic who sings her way through life in platform boots.

Born and raised in Zutphen, the Netherlands, Blaine spent many hours of her sheltered youth reading, day dreaming, making up stories and acting them out with her Barbies. After seeing the film "An Early Frost" as a teen in th...more
More about Blaine D. Arden...
Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Two Color Me The Storyteller The Fifth Son The Forester (The Forester Trilogy, #1)