Start by marking “Dancing Naked in Dixie” as Want to Read:
Dancing Naked in Dixie

Dancing Naked in Dixie

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  403 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
Travel writer Julia Sullivan lives life in fast-forward. She jet sets to Europe and the Caribbean with barely a moment to blink or sleep. But too many mishaps and missed deadlines have Julia on the verge of being fired.

With a stern warning, and unemployment looming, she's offered one last chance to rescue her career. Julia embarks on an unlikely journey to the ‘Heart of D
Published May 21st 2012 by Monterey Press (first published May 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing Naked in Dixie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Naked in Dixie

Buggy
Jul 22, 2012 Buggy rated it really liked it
Opening Line: "The new editor needs you, Julia." …Dolores Stanley leaps over the cubicles and follows me like a panther stalking its prey.”

This was an unexpectedly good read and I say that because I went into Dancing Naked In Dixie never having heard of author Lauren Clark before and with a limited idea about the story. However Dancing turned out to be one of those awesome little surprise find books and fans of the chick-lit genre in particular will enjoy this one.

Travel writer Julia Sullivan g
Andrea Guy
Jun 15, 2012 Andrea Guy rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it much. I really wasn't sure how I felt about Julia. She didn't really click with me much at the beginning. However that changed when she arrived in Georgia and she turned into a sort of Calamity Jane!

Broken car windshield, fire ants, bee stings and turned ankles!

Nothing good seems to happen to her in Eufaula, except maybe Shug, who comes with a quirky family and a very possessive girlfriend, Mary Katherine, who you w
KyBunnies
This book has two main characters Julia and Shug. Okay what a name Shug. Well if you are from the south then you know we have names or are give weird names at birth. Sometimes these names are acquired while we are growing up and they stick with us for life. Shug was suppose to be named after a coach at Auburn University.

Julia is a writer for a national travel magazine. Shug works at the historical commission in the city of Eufaula, Alabama. Yes, this is an actually city in Alabama. Even the even
Anna Dye
Jun 26, 2012 Anna Dye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun ride Dancing Naked in Dixie has been. I wondered about the name and almost didn’t pick it up. I am glad I did. If not I would have missed out on an excellent, clean tale. I really enjoy the witty and accelerating scenes that seem to leave you without breath until you turn to the next page. It is a well-done tale, written in a very fun and fast pace. The given descriptions and history are quite complimentary to this story and are delivered nicely.
Reporter Julia Sullivan lives a hurry-u
SOS Aloha
Jun 25, 2012 SOS Aloha rated it really liked it
A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I requested to review DANCING NAKED IN DIXIE because I have a good friend who was born, bred, and returned to Eufaula after her husband’s military career. Plus my father’s family is rooted in Mississippi, just over the Alabama border. How could I not want to plunge into this story of southern hospitality?

Julia quickly learns how strong she can be when she lands in hot water with her bo
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I would like to give a huge THANK YOU to AToMR tours for allowing me to be a part of this tour. This is the first book I have read by Lauren Clark and let me tell you it will NOT be the last.

Dancing Naked in Dixie was full of humor, suspense, and romance. Julia is a travel Journalist and she goes from story to story reporting back what she can. Then one day her assignment is to report on a historical project from Eufaula Alabama. If any of you readers are familiar with the south you will
Nikki McCarver
Aug 14, 2012 Nikki McCarver rated it it was amazing
I have seen this book plastered all over the blogs and even though I haven't read anything like this before, I was intrigued. So when I saw it pop up on the circuit, I immediately grabbed it and was not in the least bit disappointed in the read. I instantly felt a kinship with Julia. I'm never late to work, but other places? Well...that's another story. And even though organization isn't my strong suit, I get my stuff done. Just don't try to figure out my system..lol..you won't. And I swear that ...more
Rebecca Berto
May 24, 2012 Rebecca Berto rated it really liked it
Dancing Naked in Dixie is the type of novel to have you laughing on page one (I really did this, and I was on the train) and pacing that doesn’t bore you, or speed past you.

Dancing Naked in Dixie is a must read for any fans of Jennifer Weiner or Sophie Kinsella. It’s a bundle of laughs. Poor Julia is a clutz, to put it mildly. She seems to attract trouble. What I loved about the story is nothing felt forced, and the narrative and scenes flowed.

It’s a light read, perfect for a long drive, a plane
Tracie Banister
May 22, 2012 Tracie Banister rated it it was amazing
From the hustle bustle of Manhattan to the easygoing charm of small-town Alabama, author Lauren Clark takes the heroine of Dancing Naked in Dixie, as well as readers, on a memorable journey. How travel writer Julia Sullivan's experiences in these two wildly different locales affect and change her is the heart of this very engaging story.

Thanks to her profession, Julia has spent most of her time on planes and in hotel rooms. She's a bit scattered and commitment-phobic when it comes to men, so th
Dina
Apr 23, 2012 Dina rated it it was amazing
I was so honored to receive an advance copy from the author, and am equally pleased to share a great review.

In Dancing Naked in Dixie, author Lauren Clark beautifully creates two worlds for one woman as she comes to terms with how her mother’s death has truly caused her to lose sight of her own life. Set in New York and Eufaula, Alabama, the story engages the reader in both southern hospitality and urban intensity. A wonderfully written character driven plot is filled with unexpected surprises
Juliette Sobanet
Jun 16, 2012 Juliette Sobanet rated it it was amazing
In Dancing Naked in Dixie, author Lauren Clark tells the story of how a jet-setting city girl finds comfort, chaos, and a little bit of romance in a small Alabama town. Travel writer Julia Sullivan is constantly on the go, but for once in her life, she is forced to slow down and enjoy the sweet tea. In this fun, light-hearted novel, Clark creates realistic, flawed characters who I found myself rooting for from page one, a setting that made me want to pack my bags and head South, and a string of ...more
Laura Pepper
May 18, 2012 Laura Pepper rated it it was amazing
This is one to be devoured in one sitting, because once you start you'll have a hard time putting it down!

I ADORED the writing, the message and the setting of Dixie. For the first few pages I was reminded of Sophie Kinsella's book and it put a smile on my face to know that there is chick lit being written right now that is just as good as her books.

Now I know where I want to spend my next vacation - sweet home Alabama :) Great job at convincing this English gal Ms. Clark!

Disclaimer: I work with
Jen Tucker
Jun 18, 2012 Jen Tucker rated it it was amazing
The sweetest southern read I've ever laid my eyes on! Lauren Clark has hit it out of the park with her novel, Dancing Naked in Dixie. Her characters are beautifully crafted, from family squabbles to small town pride; you will fall in love. Expect the unexpected when a big city, Prada boot loving, travel reporter receives an assignment she finds less than career making. I am a Lauren Clark fan for life!
Sara Nowlin-Edens
Jun 23, 2012 Sara Nowlin-Edens rated it it was amazing
Lauren Clark is a former TV anchor and journalist bringing her second novel, Dancing Naked in Dixie, to readers. This contemporary women’s fiction (dare I say chick lit?) is a cute novel in which her heroine undergoes every imaginable problem just to meet her own problems.

Julia is a magazine travel writer living in fast-paced New York City. She is accustomed to traveling the globe when her editor suddenly sends her to the whopping town of Eufala, Alabama. Yep, you heard it here folks. Paris and
Melissa Garrett
May 22, 2012 Melissa Garrett rated it really liked it
It's not often I gravitate toward adult contemporary fiction, young adult - especially YA paranormal - being my genre of choice. But sometimes you just feel like zigging when you normally zag, or eating strawberry ice cream when you normally prefer chocolate, and that's the mood I was in not too long ago.

When author Lauren Clark offered to let me read an Advanced Reader Copy of Dancing Naked in Dixie, I jumped at the chance. I'd heard great things about her previous book, Stay Tuned, and I, pers
Molly
May 28, 2012 Molly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: Goddess Fish
This was a really fun read. I enjoyed the writing style of Lauren Clark and the story line really gripped me. Being a southern girl myself, I really wanted to dive into a book that would make feel right at home. Lauren Clark's Dancing Naked In Dixie did just that for me and then some! With great characters, fun-filled plot line, and southern charm, Dancing Naked In Dixie is a fantastic read!

Julia Sullivan, a New York-based travel writer, used to the hustle and bustle of life in the writing field
Kaley
Jun 25, 2012 Kaley rated it liked it
I read Clark's first novel Stay Tuned awhile ago and really enjoyed it so I was eager for her next book. Clark did not disappoint and delivered another enjoyable novel.

Julia arrives, soon charmed by the lovely city and her handsome host, but her stay is marred by a shocking discovery. Can Julia's story save her career, Eufaula, and the annual Pilgrimage?

This was the first of two books that I've read recently that featured a travel writer and I've decided that I love reading about travel writers.
Shelly Bell
May 21, 2012 Shelly Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I’ve been waiting to read this book since earlier in the year, when it finaled in the RWA ChickLit Stiletto Contest. I’d also heard wonderful things about her previous book, Stay Tuned. I’m happy to report Dancing Naked in Dixie was as good as I hoped.

The book begins when Julia Sullivan meets her new boss, someone she’s previously known quite well. I won’t spoil it for you. The write style is frantic and anxious, because that’s exactly how Julia lives her life. She’s running around, chasing her
Samantha Janning
Jun 12, 2012 Samantha Janning rated it it was amazing
When Lauren Clark approached me about doing another tour for her second novel, I was ecstatic. I highly enjoyed Stay Tuned, and I had been looking forward to the release of her second novel. Dancing Naked in Dixie is the story of Julia Sullivan, a travel writer who can’t stay still. Not only did she suffer from ADD as a child, but her adult life is always on the go as well. She blames her career for never being able to settle down – and this includes in her love life. Her boyfriend is a great gu ...more
Lilac Wolf
Sep 12, 2012 Lilac Wolf rated it liked it
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

Before we have any misunderstandings, I did enjoy this story...for the most part. Julia did start getting on my nerves when she had accident after accident and whatever man happened to be around jumped in to take care of her.

The other issue that popped up were the numerous inconsistencies. I was honestly surprised to see the number of early readers she thanked. They really should have let her know about them. Take the boyfriend, for example. Early in the book she goes in
Jael
Jun 15, 2012 Jael rated it really liked it
On the outside Julia Sullivan has it all. As a travel writer, Julia jet sets from one exotic location to another. She's hardly in the office. She snaps a few pictures, writes a few paragraphs, and her "job" is done. She has a boyfriend. Julia has a life that most would covet, but a new assignment forces her to take a hard look at her life. Instead of frolicking on the beach Julia is headed to the deep South, where she will be Dancing Naked in Dixie by Lauren Clark.

No she's not literally naked, a
b00k r3vi3ws
Jun 08, 2012 b00k r3vi3ws rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
This story is all about Julia – a travel magazine journalist. She enjoys her exotic trips that take her all over the world. She has problem maintaining focus and is very clumsy too – not very helpful characteristics when she has to meet deadlines! She returns from her trip to Italy, only to find out that her personal and professional lives have collided as her father is her new boss. Her missed deadlines and the recent below average articles land her into trouble and the only way to save her job ...more
Autumn Review
Jun 19, 2012 Autumn Review rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tours, review
I wanted to be on the tour for this book, because it sounded really cute and I live in the south. Now, I live in FL and some wouldn't considered FL Dixie, because of all the northern transplants (like me), but here I sit in a southern state. Anyway, I love stories about the south. I love southern charm and a hot guy with a southern drawl just makes my knees week. I picture Josh Lucas in Sweet Home Alabama. Purrrr.....

On to Julia. I liked Julia, but can't say I really identified with her personal
Dianne
Jun 23, 2012 Dianne rated it really liked it

I am amazed that I liked this book as much as I did. I did not find this a light read, something to be finished with in one night. I found this book something that I had to put a little effort into and I really liked that. This book is not fluffy drivel---it is several stories in one and has an ending that I think I should have seen coming, but still didn't expect.

We open with our heroine Julia needing to meet with the new owner of the travel magazine that she works for, who also happe
Cocktails and Books
This is one of those books that shocks you, because it is so different from what the book blurb reads, but then again it isn't. I was expecting a light hearted book about a clumsy, cute woman who is sent to Alabama to write her story and then gets caught up in all the funny "goings on" in the town. That is what happens, but what doesn't come across in the blurb is how this is really a gut-wrenching, emotional read about start over.

Julia Sullivan is a travel writer and spends very brief amounts o
Melissa | BookBFF
Jun 20, 2012 Melissa | BookBFF rated it really liked it
Full review here: http://harleybearbookblog.blogspot.co...

One of the hardest things to do as a writer is make the reader care about the main character within the first few pages. Lauren Clark does a fantastic job of doing this in Dancing Naked in Dixie. Julia is quirky, a little spastic (or accident prone lol), struggling with ADHD, and has family problems that really make you care about her right off the bat. Her job is to travel and write about her experiences on vacations. For some reason I h
Angieleigh
May 11, 2012 Angieleigh rated it really liked it
After seeing the cover alone, I knew I had to read this book. I'm so glad I did and signed up for the blog tour!

Julia has just returned to NYC after a fabulous trip from yet another sunny beach when she's called into the new boss's office. David has returned and has canceled her recent article on Belize, citing that her work was rather weak and needed to be refined. He's sending her to Eufaula, Alabama to cover the Pilgrimage. While in Eufaula, Julia's eyes are opened as to what's really import
Melissa
May 16, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Lauren Clark has done it again. I loved Stay Tuned, and was excited when I found out she had another book out. In both of her books she's been able to truly capture the world the character is involved in.... which in turn captures the reader and pulls them along for the ride. Julia is a lovable character! I love how she has her own little quirks. Big ones too, like adjusting to ADD without medication. Little things like that make her more believable as a character. Julia's life has had some bum ...more
Andrea Heltsley
Jun 02, 2012 Andrea Heltsley rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed the southern charm. This author took factual bits of information from a town and turned them into an upbeat romantic comedy.

The main character Julia, opens the book with her world being turned upside down. She arrives back home only to find that her career has taken her for a loop. Her boss is a part of her past and she isn't sure how to deal with it.

Her jet set mediocre life gets a facelift as she travels to Eufaula, Alabama for the story that will
Lizz
Apr 19, 2012 Lizz rated it really liked it
I read and thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Clark's first book (Stay Tuned), so I eagerly accepted an advanced review copy of this one. Set in Manhattan and in Eufaula, Alabama, it features the story of Julia, a writer for a travel magazine. As anyone who follows my reviews knows, I do NOT recap the books -- read 'em yourselves! -- so don't expect that here either.

Julia is a typical New Yorker who rushes from one thing to the next, when she is sent to the deep South with orders to redeem herself in the f
Madison Mega-Mara...: #9 - Dancing Naked in Dixie 1 2 Feb 02, 2015 03:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add kindle edition of "Dancing Naked in Dixie" 2 148 Jul 02, 2013 07:23PM
  • In Need of Therapy
  • The Day of First Sun (Annie Loves Cham, #1)
  • Short Stories
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)
  • She Speaks to Angels (AngelFire Chronicles, #1)
  • Hearts in Harmony (Love Notes #1)
  • Callie's Heart (Lasso Springs, #1)
  • Blank Slate Kate (Toronto, #7)
  • A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)
  • Forbidden Fire (Forbidden, #2)
  • For Love or Money (Main Street Merchants #2)
  • An Amish Christmas Quilt
  • Night Sky
  • The Twilight Kingdom (Feyland, #3)
  • The Baby Trap