Start by marking “The Trunk Key ” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  547 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
On her way to work, for one terrifying instant Jennifer Canfield sees a tiny hand in the trunk of a car that barely misses slamming into her van. A doll? A child? With no time to think she must act and so begins a non-stop, breathlessly suspenseful journey to find the truth and possibly save a life. Stephen Baron, a road construction worker, joins her in her pursuit of a p ...more
Published March 15th 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Trunk Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trunk Key

Reddwhine
Apr 14, 2012 Reddwhine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I finished "Raising Abel" a week or so ago and in looking up information about the author I discovered that she had written another book. It was on Kindle. It was $2.99. So I was willing to take a gamble. I really liked "Raising Abel" and I liked the way this author writes so for 3 bucks I didn't feel like I was taking a big chance. I was well rewarded. I liked this book. It was a very easy read and quite short but like all good books I was sorry to finish it.

"The Trunk Key", like "Abel" grabbed
Jeremy Good
Jun 19, 2012 Jeremy Good rated it did not like it
This book is too obvious to be good. The main problem seems to be that the protagonist feels too much for a stranger and their dialogue is too familiar to be plausible or else the central characters don't have enough modesty to endear. The plot is a little smug, but the author is correct that some people in life are as bad as the one-dimensional villain of this novel and a lot of people don't want to face that reality. The writing is not bad but the literary quality is not great. The protagonist ...more
Doreen
Dec 26, 2012 Doreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a major thrill ride, from beginning to the end. It reads quickly, but it is rich in detail and suspense. Two good samaritans trying to rescue a kidnapped girl, even before they know for sure she has been kidnapped.... Has she been kidnapped or is the girl in the trunk that she got a quick glimpse of just a doll???? Read it to find out! Definately a must read!
Jessi
Oct 18, 2014 Jessi rated it liked it
This read very quickly and kept my attention. The plot is a bit predictable and I think she tries to fit too many vague details into a short novel, but it kept me interested. The characters don't have much time to develop but I did get invested in wanting them to win and get what they wanted. Predictable, short, good for a quick read to keep you entertained.
Donna
Mar 29, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
The Trunk Key will make you think about what you would do if you briefly saw something, but your instinct told you you were right. Carolyn Nash makes you think, and for days to come you may still be pondering what you would do.
It is a serious story told by an author who knows how to keep you turning the pages.
Mitsy
Dec 17, 2012 Mitsy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
What a fast paced, expertly detailed, wild ride! From the beginning, I was hooked and with every page I just kept getting deeper and deeper, until I came to the end where I was like YES! I love this! Read it. Trust me, it won't take long.
Cloudy
Jul 08, 2013 Cloudy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and thrilling story about a middle-aged woman getting rid of her adolescent abuse trauma by saving a little child out of the trunk of a kidnapper`s van.
Somehow not only a thriller but also a brilliant roadmovie-story.
Sharlene
Before I begin, I feel it prudent to state that the author was kind enough to send me a few of her books to read. While, she did not ask me to review them, I am doing so, because I want to.

This is the third Nash book that I have read and she is still keeping me on my toes. I am impressed with how she is able to make each book completely different while keeping her work fresh and new.

This book treads on one of my secret fears; What would I do if I ever saw someone in the back of a trunk? I don't
Joy
Nov 06, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it

103 pages
First person

It was only for a millisecond but it made Jennifer second guess herself and question what she thought she'd seen.

I'm sure we've all had a moment like that, I know I have.

I liked being in Jennifer's head, she seemed so real to me, I laughed at her wit and her self deprecating manner in amongst the horror of an Amber Alert that prompted flashbacks to her own childhood. No drop dead gorgeous heroine here, nope. The romance (or hint of it) is there but secondary to the story.

Elvan
Mar 27, 2013 Elvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was fun!
Katy Grinberg
Apr 10, 2013 Katy Grinberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great easy read!
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I thought this was a well done story. I've always enjoyed stories where you are literally just dropped into the middle of something that is already happening and it ends in the middle of something happening. This just makes more sense to me than a 500 page story trying to cram all past, present, and future stuff into one book so they can tie it all up in a pretty bow in the end. It just feels more real. The only information you get is what is willingly shared by the character through her inner m ...more
Rebecca Vance
Aug 11, 2012 Rebecca Vance rated it it was ok
I reviewed this one on my blog. I downloaded this onto my Kindle e-reader. I thought that it could have been a good story, but it seemed incomplete to me. There were too many unanswered questions and it seemed as if it could have been developed much better and fleshing out the characters better and developing the plot more, then it would have been much better. The major problem that I had with this novella, is that it was badly in need of an editor. I got the impression that as soon as the autho ...more
Theresa
Jun 24, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a woman named Jenny who is on her way to work and talking on her cell while about to make a pit stop at the donut store. She is complaining about her weight and knows she shouldn't stop. As she's going through an intersection an old rusty vehicle comes out of nowhere and runs the stoplight going in the other direction and almost hits Jenny.

She stops briefly to catch her breath while people behind her are honking their horns and she looks at the car going like a rocket throu
Dutchfarmeress
May 25, 2014 Dutchfarmeress rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing what a writer can bring you for under 3 Dollars. This book will not win the Pulitzer price, it will not be remembered as a timeless novel in years to come. However, I found it highly entertaining. It is an easy read. If you take away anything from it, it is that there are truly good people on this world, and that there is always hope. Especially when you decide to take positive action.
Joan
Mar 31, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing
Its been awhile since I enjoyed a book that made me so eager to get to the next page. I read most of this book while waiting at the doctor's office, and it made a very long wait go by quickly. The great dialog and edge-of-your-seat suspense will keep your interest and you'll find yourself finishing this book wishing for more. I love that Ms. Nash's protagonist is not a twenty-something beauty queen.The fact that she could be your next door neighbor makes her easy to like and identify with.The st ...more
Shavonne Ruiz
This is a definite thumbs down for me. The premise is so far-fetched, and it only gets worse once the main character gains some helpers. I know very few, if any, women who would make the idiotic decisions this character made. That really pulled me out of the story, and I actually shook my head at the recklessness of the main character.
Brittany
May 20, 2014 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, suspense
A quick, light read that reminds me of a lifetime drama. Little character development and quick relationship development... to the point that it is not believable to the reader. I think if this had been a bit more of a developed story with more context I would have enjoyed it more, but then it wouldn't have been a kindle single, either!
Debbie
May 05, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
This was another Kindle book that I read...one they call a Kindle single. It was a very quick read but one that help my interest throughout the entire book. The main character of the book, Jennifer, is headed to work but with a goal of stopping by for donuts before she does. While chatting with her friend on her phone (using a hands free device I must add), her car is sideswiped by another car. The trunk of the car that hits her, pops open a bit and Jennifer sees what she things is a small hand ...more
Lindsay
Apr 12, 2014 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3-3.5, I read this book and all I can say is that is really a great read. Too bad that it so short, I would have liked to at least have found out what was said on the phone call at the end of the book at the very last lines. That was why I rated it lower I don't like cliffhanger type endings or guess it.
Julia
Nov 24, 2012 Julia rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this story. The plot summary on Amazon drew me in and I ended up buying it, which I normally don't do. I did like the plot--it keeps you on your toes and wanting to know what is going to happen next. However, I just did not like the writing style. The dialog was unrealistic and there were times in the story where I thought to myself "Uhhh...what?" (view spoiler) ...more
Dionne
Jan 27, 2014 Dionne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An obvious storyline where every serious that could have happened, happened.

Although the romance was a lovely bonus, it was fairly far fetched that a tradie would hop into the car and go on this whirlwind adventure and end up happily ever after.

Instead of feeling sympathy towards the protagonist, I really was just annoyed with her.
Richard
Aug 25, 2014 Richard rated it it was amazing
After a car nearly collides with hers and, the trunk pops open for a second, Jennifer Canfield thinks she sees a small child. She decides she can't ignore it, or explain it away, and follows the speeding car.
Great read!
5 stars
Liz Keller
Dec 05, 2014 Liz Keller rated it liked it
Fun read

Quick and endearing! The characters are well developed and the story takes unexpected turns just when you least expect it. The ending was a bit disappointing as there were more answers that were not explored.
Judith Bowers
Jan 11, 2016 Judith Bowers rated it it was amazing
The Trunk Key

What a brave and daring lady to take such risks with her life. The writer did a great job capturing the essence.
Bethany
Jun 04, 2014 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Toads Wild Ride meets kidnapper. Nicely developed characters.
Brenda
Jan 02, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second story I've read by this author. I liked it, but about halfway through it kind of started to drag, and there were a couple of unrealistic scenes. And it started to annoy me that the main character kept stopping in the middle of thoughts (while running from a child kidnapper who was trying to kill her) trying to think of a name for her van. Really?
Sweetdulci
Aug 23, 2014 Sweetdulci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Worth the time.
Mandy Fernandez
May 17, 2012 Mandy Fernandez rated it it was amazing
This was a short book I downloaded onto my Kindle. I LOVED it - definitely kept me intrigued and wanting to finish it. I know the scenario of following a stranger's car because you think you saw a kid in the trunk is a bit far fetched but I loved the idea of it and how the mom/woman followed her instincts along with all the twists and turns in it too. A perfect read for me during my sleepless newborn baby moments. This would make a good lifetime movie too, LOL!
Joanne
Jan 07, 2014 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an exciting read! I had trouble putting the book down and when I did, I felt guilty leaving some of the characters in such a precarious situation. I loved that all of the focus was on the hero and heroine rather than the "bad guy." Definitely worth the time to absorb and reflect.
  • Marked in Mexico
  • Be Still, My Love (Tess Schafer-Medium, #1)
  • High Seas Deception
  • Stealing Mercy
  • The Procedure
  • Courage Dares (Sisters of Spirit, #4)
  • A Place of Strangers
  • Silent Counsel
  • Shadow of Death
  • Safe: Aidan & Carly (New Beginnings, #4)
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • Singularity (Hide, #2)
  • In the Cut
  • A Spy for Christmas
  • Kinesis
  • Ring of Fire
  • One Snowy Night Before Christmas
  • Codename: Romeo

“No, I’m wrong. I hope he’s not dead. I hope every bone in his body is broken, compound fractures and he’s lying down there in so much pain that he’s praying to die, watching his blood pouring into the dirt, but I hope he lasts for a long time and when he finally dies he goes straight to hell and burns there.” -1 likes