Start by marking “O'Hara's Choice” as Want to Read:
O'Hara's Choice

O'Hara's Choice

In the years following America's terrible Civil War, the fate of the U.S. Marine Corps rests in the capable hands of Zachary O'Hara. A first-generation Irish-American and son of a legendary war hero, O'Hara is the one man who can prevent the dissolution of his father's beloved "Wart-Hogs," thereby ensuring his own future as a valuable member of this proud and vital branch ...more
Published March 29th 2005 by Avon (first published October 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about O'Hara's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O'Hara's Choice

Abby
Sep 16, 2008 Abby rated it did not like it
Really, really disappointing, and the plot twist at the end was contrived and poorly set up.
Liam
May 04, 2013 Liam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Leon Uris was one of the greatest writers of historical fiction that ever lived. Even though it is not his best work, the present book was still absolutely spellbinding, and damned difficult to put down even to sleep at night. This was his last book; Mr. Uris died in June 2003, three months before it was published. Sadly, he apparently ran out of time and strength before he could finish it properly, which is easy to tell at the end for anyone familiar with his style. I would be willing to bet t ...more
sarg
Oct 20, 2016 sarg rated it really liked it
Ohara's Choice Leon Uris In a junk store with a few paper back books I spotted this novel. I've read several of his books so picked it up. A story of the saving of the Marine corp after the civil war, I was expecting battles and war stories but I was fooled it was actually a love story about a lieutenant Marine and the daughter of a ship building magnate. Not really into romance stories I continued reading and was pleastly pleased with the book. I probably want become a reader of romance novels ...more
Kim
Jan 05, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
I forgot how much I like Uris' writing style in the years since I've read any of his books.

I enjoy his kind of history, which is saying a lot because history is very rarely something I want to read about. I have no idea if this story is one-sided or riddled with inaccuracies as some claim about his other books. I know that while I was reading it I was feeling history come alive for me - which was rare and enjoyable.

I enjoy his strong and vivid characters, which were as strong in this book as in
emily
May 07, 2013 emily rated it liked it
I've alway liked Leon Uris, I read Exodus when I was in 5th or 6th grade....my sister had to read it for high school, so I read her copy. This book is about the history of the Marines. Not having much military background, it was interesting to learn that they have been the after thought of the rest of the military. I picked up a copy of this book at a second hand book store. This is his last book, it was sent to print before he died.
Deanna
Aug 04, 2014 Deanna rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Uris, as usual. One of his best. That scene at the carnival was beautiful. No one writes a romantic history like Uris.
Susan B
Jul 26, 2014 Susan B rated it really liked it
kind of bored with it in the beginning, he introduced a lot of characters that didn't seem to relate - then the story really evolved and had to race to the end. would recommend,
David
May 16, 2009 David rated it it was ok
Bit of a soap opera, reads like a Harlequin Romance. Not up to the standard of his earlier works
Linda
Feb 10, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on CD and it was a well-told story. It is the story of the development of the US Marine Corps after the Civil War. It is also the love story of the brilliant corpsman Zachary O’Hara and a beautiful intelligent heiress, Amanda Kerr. Well-developed characters and interesting to learn more about the Marines.
7$MartyQ
Jan 20, 2017 7$MartyQ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Apart from the surprise ending of this story, it was another great book from Uris. He has a way of inventing characters that are bigger than life, and sometimes he destroys them, much as he does with Zachary O'Hara. It seems that we all have a Destiny to fulfill, and in one way or another we manage to do that.
Sherry
Sep 15, 2016 Sherry added it
I read "Trinity" by Leon Uris a long time ago and remember being in awe of his writing. I thought I'd try another one of his books. This story is set right after the Civil War and tells the story of the Warthogs, a group of Marines who fought together in the CW. It then tells the story of the son of one of the Warthogs and the heiress of an industrialist named Kerr. It was a good story idea but the book itself was not up to the standards I remember of this author. I was disappointed in the writi ...more
Gerald
The protagonist Zachary O'Hara grew up in the Civil War years in the home of his dad the legendary U.S. Marine Paddy O'Hara. All Zachary ever wanted to be was a Marine like his dad. He enlists in the Marines and soon finds himself on the cutting edge of a fight to save the Marines themselves from being abolished from the U.S. military forces. Many powerful men are strongly convinced that the Marines are not needed.

Zachary is firmly convinced that the Marines are not only needed but will play a
Tom
Dec 25, 2010 Tom rated it it was ok
I have loved just about everything else I've read by Uris. This book was not that good. The beginning read more like an outline than an actual novel - like the first 100 pages or so. The end was TERRIBLE! There were lots of places that were just nonsensical. I went back to read the dialogue to try and figure out who was doing the talking because I thought I had missed something, but no, the conversations did not make a great deal of sense. Now this book was Uris' last, and he died before it was ...more
Janet
Dec 09, 2010 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at a 2nd hand store and decided to read it because I loved Trinity, Exodus and Mila 18, all by Leon Uris. This book did not even come close to any of those books, so I was disappointed in it. I was also disappointed to discover that Leon Uris began using some pretty bad language and descriptions in his later years. That is not to say the story wasn't interesting, but it was not great. I was expecting great. And by the way, O'Hara's choice was pretty predictable. I saw the end c ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Since he was a World War II Marine, it seems fitting that Leon Uris' last novel like his first center around the Marine Corps. Zachary O'Hara is a second generation Marine, son of a Congressional Medal of Honor winner. The story jumps around over a sixty plus year period at the end of the 1800s. O'Hara has some personal demons and falls in love with a rich girl. Uris portrays the discrimination and prejudice that dominated during the period. He also deals with the Marine Corps struggle for its e ...more
Anthony
Jul 26, 2012 Anthony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, novels
I believe this was one of the last books Uris wrote in his long illustrious career. Having read several of his earlier books, I always found his works to be both informative and historically accurate. O'Hara's Choice was a good story wrapped around a history of The United States Marine Corp. The story is both endearing and entertaining but not of the classic level of "Trinity" or "Battle Cry" but it is a good read especially for lovers of the history of the US and the USMC.
Anna
Feb 06, 2010 Anna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in how the Marine Corp was formed.
This doesn't have the impact that Trinity or Exodus did, but it was a good read. Pretty easy to read, put down, then pick up when you had a little time and you didn't lose your place. It was the last book that Leon Uris wrote before he died in 2003, so I wanted to see where he would go for his last book.
Sabrina
May 26, 2013 Sabrina rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, don-t, war, romance
I really do hope that when people recommended Leon Uris to me, they hadn't O'Hara's Choice in mind.

That had to be one of the most boring thing that I've ever read; finishing this was like watching grass grow. The author spends more time talking about the characters instead of showing them in a skillfully way, the writing is choppy and at times incoherent. Immersion is impossible.
Bryan Boyd
Oct 05, 2010 Bryan Boyd rated it liked it
A story about the beginnings of the Marine Corp and the reason for its being. A love story is woven thoughout the book and a young marine must choose between the Corps and a woman. This tale was not the best of Uris and I wonder if his death, some three months before the publishing of this book, left the manuscript in an unfinished state.
BJ Rose
Jul 18, 2011 BJ Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, historical
It's been a long time since I read a Leon Uris novel, so when I saw this on a used-book shelf, I grabbed it. I don't know enough about the origins of the U;S. Marine Corps, so I don't know how much fact is intermingled with the fiction. I did enjoy the telling of its history, but agree with others that this was not one of Uris' best books.
Julie Bye
Jun 05, 2016 Julie Bye rated it liked it
A pleasant. enough tale set around the history of the US Marines. With the author dying about the same time the book was published it's obvious the last few chapters didn't receive the same spit and polish as the rest of the book. The characters are well developed and for the most part likeable. Even the protagonists are not evil, but flawed personalities.
Kimberley Shaw
Jun 12, 2016 Kimberley Shaw rated it liked it
I agree with Liam's review. What would this book be like had Mr. Uris lived long enough for it to be properly completed and edited? We will never know. Despite dialog that all too often sounded more like 1988 than 1888, I still enjoyed the story, and liked this bit of history besides, as I know very little about how the Marine Corps came to be.
Erin
Jun 23, 2016 Erin rated it it was ok
Not his best work. The connections between past and present scenes were clunky in comparison to his better known works. The emotional kick at the end is too little too late for my taste and the romance was weak. Zach was a bland protagonist whose "choice" at the end didn't end up being a choice at all. Overall it was a bit disappointing.
Sam
Oct 17, 2009 Sam rated it did not like it
I read Leon Uris's "Exodus" and it was amazing, one of my favorite books. So I had pretty high expectations for "O'Hara's Choice". Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It was kind of about Marines. But turned out to be a love story. And it just sucked ass. Will I try more Leon Uris in the future? I don't know.
Aric
May 26, 2012 Aric rated it it was ok
I read this a long time ago. But I remember thinking it was the worst Leon Uris book I had read. But then I read A God in Ruins, which was also bad. I guess times changed, and so did the settings for his book
Roger
Apr 29, 2014 Roger rated it did not like it
Reading some of the reviews I thought 'surely could not write this poorly.' I was wrong - he could. This book was a jumbled mess. The romance was awful. I speed read the last half just to get through it. This was NOT Trinity, Redemption, or Exodus.
Sue
Historical fiction about the inception of the Marine Corps.

Had a hard time getting into the book. Kind of dry at the beginning, but then it go better. Young man has to make a choice between The Corps and the girl!
Ben Jackson
May 21, 2016 Ben Jackson rated it it was amazing
This book continues Leon's practice of telling a story from every possible perspective, and everyone who is involved. Some people say that it isn't his finest, it might not be the best of them all, but it is still an amazing book.
Phil Allender
Dec 19, 2013 Phil Allender rated it it was ok
Some of the more critical reviewers have correctly panned this book, but I tried reading it anyway. But now, on page 280,
I give up and will not waste any more time trying to redeem this one. Se La Vie!
Cathy
Jan 07, 2015 Cathy rated it liked it
Not my favorite Uris book, but still an interesting read. For military enthusiasts, this provides a terrific backstory to te forming of the Marines (most takes place during the Cival War, but the story goes back and forth through time).
  • The Dream Lover
  • Madness Visible: A Memoir of War
  • Lincoln: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Right Hand of Sleep
  • "We are Lincoln Men": Abraham Lincoln and His Friends
  • Four Histories ("Richard II", "Henry IV Part One", "Henry IV Part Two", "Henry V")
  • God's Fool
  • The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days That Shook the Union
  • White Doves at Morning
  • Ulysses S. Grant: The Unlikely Hero
  • The Double Agents (Men at War, #6)
  • The Fracture Zone: My Return to the Balkans
  • The Tragedie of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark A Study with the Text of the Folio of 1623
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Bloody Times: The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Manhunt for Jefferson Davis
  • 365 Days
  • Charleston
  • The Steel (The General, #4)
19708
Leon Marcus Uris (August 3, 1924 - June 21, 2003) was an American novelist, known for his historical fiction and the deep research that went into his novels. His two bestselling books were Exodus, published in 1958, and Trinity, in 1976.

Leon Uris was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Jewish-American parents Wolf William and Anna (Blumberg) Uris. His father, a Polish-born immigrant, was a pa
More about Leon Uris...