Start by marking “Under the Same Stars” as Want to Read:
Under the Same Stars

Under the Same Stars

It is late summer 2008 and, as the world economy goes into meltdown, forty-year-old Salinger Nash, plagued since adolescence by a mercurial depression, leaves the London house he shares with his girlfriend, Tiane, for his older brother's home in the Garden District of New Orleans. Carson Nash has persuaded Salinger that they should find their missing father, Henry- last ...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Same Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Same Stars

Bookkaholic Magazine
Sep 17, 2013 Bookkaholic Magazine rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
(See our full review over at Bookkaholic.) I warmed to this story of two English brothers and their journey to find their estranged father in America, even though Lott lacks subtlety in his portrayal of Americans – I can hardly think of a single American character who isn’t horrible or fake – and the Cain and Abel parallel would have been better left as a quiet undertone rather than an explicitly detailed connection. A revival of the literary road trip.
Anne
Aug 26, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Two estranged brothers take a road trip to find their even more estranged father. I wanted to read this after having heard Tim Lott reading from and talking about it at Latitude festival. It would appear to be quite heavily drawn from his own life - estranged from his brother who lives in America, they went on a road trip across America and the main characters share at least some of their characteristics.
Set in 2008 against the current events of the time - Katrina, elections, economy, his rathe
Mickey
Dec 02, 2016 Mickey rated it it was amazing
A story from love. I love the romances
Exiled_Angel
Feb 15, 2015 Exiled_Angel rated it really liked it
There are few books that have impressed me, made me laugh, and got me utterly hooked in under eight pages. Almost brutally convincing in his observation and inner monologue, Tim Lott opens with a playful yet arresting portrait of depressive Salinger and his somewhat detached relationships with his partner, father and brother.

Their father Henry is dying somewhere on the American continent, and his long-term partner and inveigling ‘stepmother’ has secretly written to Salinger’s brother, the cheer
Rebecca Foster
Falls somewhere between the high culture of the Cain & Abel story (via both Genesis and Steinbeck’s East of Eden) and the low culture of a buddy road trip flick. Despite a cheesy title and occasionally facile observations about modern America, it’s a strong psychological portrait of two brothers and their estranged father. (See my full review at Bookkaholic.)
Sylvie Chartrand
May 03, 2015 Sylvie Chartrand rated it liked it
I enjoyed that book. I can't say that it made me laugh out loud, but I found the relationship between these two brothers very believable. The dialogues are very well written. One thing bothered me though. I'm not sure I bought how Southern people are depicted. A little too caricatural for me. But I went on anyway because I enjoyed the story.
Azmylle H
Jan 17, 2014 Azmylle H rated it did not like it
It's quite a weird book. Not really what I'm expecting it to be. Tbh I was drawn to be the book mainly due to its very pretty cover. Guess this is a wrong book for me to read despite the pretty cover. Ok move on to the next book.
Rose Burbos
Jul 25, 2013 Rose Burbos rated it really liked it
Good read and eventually before the Story ends I realize all the mystery of Carson. I believe that Salinger Plays to be true to himself and that helps him find out what will give meaning to his life.
Sue Robinson
Dec 17, 2013 Sue Robinson rated it really liked it
Wit h no brothers or sons of my own this was foreign territory for me. So that's what they get up to!
Mair Smith
Sep 30, 2014 Mair Smith rated it really liked it
Funny, intriguing road trip novel. Glad I have discovered Tim Lott, will keep an eye out for more from him!
Lindsay Burton
Dec 15, 2015 Lindsay Burton rated it liked it
I didn't know what to make of this book at first but i did actually enjoy it. It started off quite slow but turned out to be a story that kept me intrigued
Emily
Dec 01, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok
Didn't get very far in this, I Picked it up because I enjoyed Fearless but this is completely different not quite my cup of tea.
Janine
May 08, 2013 Janine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fairly enjoyable read about the strained relationship between two brothers who are tracking down their estranged father.

Quite thought provoking, however not as riveting as I had hoped.
Emily
Jul 12, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Burnt through this - after picking it up from our culture editor. Really enjoyed it - spiky and smothered masculine familial relations.
Gill
Sep 04, 2012 Gill rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable - manages to be both funny and moving. Some great 'travelogue' descriptions and lots of references to American literature and rock music - would like to see a playlist.
Dan (aka Utterbiblio)
Dan (aka Utterbiblio) rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Eva Hyatt
Eva Hyatt rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Scott Morrison
Aug 29, 2013 Scott Morrison rated it liked it
Not a patch on his other books, but vaguely diverting.
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Guadalupe
Guadalupe rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Storme Whitby-grubb
Storme Whitby-grubb rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Alison MacConnell
Alison MacConnell rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Ryan Williams
Ryan Williams rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2012
Martin  Wallington
Martin Wallington rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2016
Sue Hargreaves
Sue Hargreaves rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013