Country Mouse (Country Mouse, #1)
read ebook

Country Mouse (Country Mouse #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,582 ratings  ·  282 reviews
Owen may be a bit of a country mouse, but he's loving his vacation in London. After a long day playing tourist, he's on the hunt for some cheap beer and a good burger. Instead he finds a man hunting him, an arrogant prick with only one thing on the brain: the kind of meat that doesn't come on a bun.

Eighty-hour weeks at a trading desk don't leave Malcolm Kavanagh much time...more
Published April 23rd 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published 2012)

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
22nd out of 603 books — 1,384 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Gay Couples
255th out of 1,626 books — 2,095 voters

More lists with this book...

Aleksandr Voinov
May 09, 2012 Aleksandr Voinov added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
I bet you didn't see this one coming...

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Fabulous read, written by two amazing authors and had me gripped from the start!

Country Mouse 2

City Mouse is being released on the 18th March… so I thought I had best get a wriggle on and read this one first, and with it being written by two authors I love, it really was no hardship! I loved both the MC’s, they were very believable characters that I actually cared about, brought to life and delivered by the amazing writing skills of Mr Voinov and Ms Lane, their words just flowed seamlessly combining their tal...more
Cole Riann
A smartly written story about a pair of seeming misfits that quickly get to know one another during a weekend in London. Owen is "Yank", a 23 year old bisexual son of a hippie on a trip with his friend and ex-girlfriend Jenny, who meets Malcolm, a near thirty British trader and arrogant Dom in a seedy pub on Owen's first day in town. A self-described "country mouse", Owen is immediately intrigued by the man in a dirty pub drinking top shelf vodka, and when he's immediately hit on, ready to show...more
DayDreamer
London is my favourite city. Doing tourist shit in London was a great experience which I'd like to repeat. Probably not as great as Owen's, but we can't all be that lucky.

I loved everything about this story - the setting, the characters, the kinks(!), the sweetness, and the ending.
It's sodding perfect.

description
Lauraadriana
FUN FUN FUN!!!! That's the main thing for me with this story. I had fun reading it, fun hunting for where the uniqueness each author came shining through...JUST FUN!!

I must admit that I was a bit nervous with this one. Amy Lane and Aleksandr Voinov are two of my most favorite authors in this genre, I've pretty much read everything they've written, and have not been disappointed yet, their styles are SO DIFFERNT though! I am happy to report that for me this pairing worked BEAUTIFULLY.

It's a testa...more
Heather C
Lane and Voinov...now that's an odd combination... but it worked perfectly for me. To be honest, I was terrified of reading this book simply because of the two authors named on the cover. I expected it to be hardcore and full of angst. But no, it was the complete opposite. There really was no angst at all and it could even be said that it was a little too perfect and a little too unrealistic, but it fit my mood perfectly at the time.

It was about Owen, the toppy country mouse, falling for Malcolm...more
Ami
Neither of these authors are in my top-favorite list. Amy Lane's stories are hits and misses (I DNF'ed some of them). While the only Aleks Voinov's story that I can read was Transit. I just don't have immediate chemistry with their writing style. So, I'm not one actually jumping enthusiastically for this one.

Personally, I do love the ending part. It's cute to see the big bad Dom, Malcolm, 'succumbs' to the country mouse, Owen. How he finds himself out of his element. Such classic Harlequin roman...more
Shelley
3.5 Stars, not quite 4!

Perfect read when you’re in the mood for some sexy sweet man loving, all wrapped up with Hollywood movie ending.

Lucky for me this is exactly what I needed, otherwise I might be tempted to get a little bit pissy and eye rolly about it.

I do so enjoy seeing a sophisticated, arrogant and controlling yuppie brought down a few notches by an all American country boy. It’s ever so satisfying to watch that artificial restraint unravel revealing the needy man within the egotistical...more
Anna  (Bananas!)
That title made me cringe. The cover screamed “Not for Anna!!" I read the synopsis and thought “Yep, this is not my thing.” Well, I’m eating crow and let me tell you, it tastes damn good. If this is fluff, it's fluff with heart.

Country Mouse is about a one night stand that turns into something meaningful and genuine. Simple as that. The story sucked me in from page one and didn't release me until the very satisfying end. (Apologies, a lot of double entendres flowing right now, after ALL those s...more
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131
Jan 15, 2013 LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: m-m romance, london
Shelves: adult, kindle, m-m-romance
~~~

A lovely, romantic, romance.

This was my first Amy Lane book, even though I've been intending to read her for some time. I'm so pleasantly pleased that I picked this to be my first Amy Lane. I have a big, dumb grin on my face that won't be fading soon.

I chose to read this because of my respect for Aleksandr Voinov's writing. I don't know if I had expectations for this story but I have to say that I was surprised to find something so sweet and sexy. Having just come off reading his Dark Soul...more
Camille
The writing is disjointed. The plot evinces the work of two polar opposite authors. The kink is completely unintegrated. The sweetness is saccharine, particularly at the end. And the switch offs between British and American are erroneous several times.

The three stars are for my enjoyment of the storyline, the idea itself. I like the notion of meeting that person who exposes your truth and who you cannot let go of even if that revelation and concession comes after a single weekend. Again, I alway...more
DarienMoya
So some crazy shit happened! Amy Lane and Aleks Voinov wrote a book together. I know what you’re thinking ‘OMFG! Am I gonna die of angst? Will someone be dying, getting raped? Will I be crying; will I throw my e-reader?’ The answer is no folks, you will be freaking smiling and losing your pants all over the place. I can see your shocked faces, the WTF faces, of are we talking about the same Amy Lane and Mr Voinov. It’s them alright, and it comes through in the writing.

Owen is vacationing in Eur...more
MsMiz (Tina)
Loved every minute of this book. The collaboration between Amy and Aleks worked. Sometimes you can tell where co-authors leave their footprint on a story. Add the fact that Amy and Aleks have two very different writing styles, I was thinking it was going to be obvious in Country Mouse. But it isn't. It is seamless and smartly done.

A Country Mouse is a story of what happens when a not quite as he seems Country Mouse and a not quite as he seems Dom find each other at a crappy bar and vacation love...more
Susan

3.5 stars.

I needed this book. After having spent a weekend reading some intense and emotional series, I needed a "sweet", easy book to ween me back into reality.

"Country Mouse" did a few things for me:
1) made me want to visit London
2) made me fall in love w/ Owen
3) made me crave Indian food
4) made me stop being such a hardass as I've been lately, taking all the books I've been reading WAY too seriously. This had tons of holes in it and could easily be torn apart, but I liked it anyways.

I'm still...more
julio
An odd mixture of sweet-hearted kink and fish-out-of-water romance. Both characters were delightful company, and it's a pleasure to know we will see them again in the upcoming sequel.

The bar scenes, in particular, were charming and funny.
Adri

I considered reading this book many times before, but Amy Lane and Aleksandr Voinov writing together? Their usual styles are totally different; I couldn’t imagine how this book will end up.

I was pleasantly surprised by this story, it’s sweet (it is!) and 100% romance.

Owen is an American touristing through Europe, he visits London and meets Malcolm, a banker who is a Dom (or is he?), they clicked at a bar and decide to spend the night together and after that the weekend, when they least...more
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Wham, bam, thank you mam!

Well, this book started with the fastest hook up I have ever read or experienced. However, I loved the power games being played between these two, always a tug-war who was going to get the upper-hand. Malcolm not turning out to be as bossy or dominant as he liked to pretend and Owen not being submissive by any means. It was great to see how their relationship developed and to see the barriers come crashing down around Malcolm's so cold and unfeeling exterior.

I loved th...more
MandyM
Appealing short story about 'country mouse' American, Owen who is on holidays in London when he's picked up in a bar by stock trader Dom, Malcolm. I liked that Owen is a lot more than Malcolm anticipated and the dynamic between them is sexy. The story is a little unbelievable but easy enough to go along for the ride. The cover is great.
Lola
❇ Wonderful ❇ Sigh-worthy ❇ Captivating ❇

This is my forth book read by Amy Lane since I discovered her two months ago. Sigh, I just love that author. She's always surprising me, coming with stories no one would have expected. While it is not my absolute favorite, (Talker is) I very much enjoyed reading this (short) story. One thing I hope though is that, in the sequels, there will be more conversations. The sex scenes were great so it's not like I'm complaining about that...

Halt there, why was...more
Jody
Before I get to a more in-depth review of this book, can I just say how wonderful this book cover is?.? The visual representation of them is exactly as is written and demonstrates the differences between these two men and yet shows how great they look together.

And together they are simply divine, as is this story. In too many of the books I've read that feature BDSM acts, the reason an individual chooses the lifestyle isn't made clear, but in this story it's clear that Malcolm chooses the lifes...more
Karla
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

More like Roaring Grizzly!!! HOT, HOT, HOT!! I adored Owen and Malcolm! They couldn’t have been more different, yet they were so perfect for each other. Talk about role reversal, it was amazing to see how it all played out.

Owen is on vacation in London with his ex-girlfriend, when he spots Malcolm across a bar that he ventures into. He’s bi-sexual, but at the moment it’s the sexy Brit who’s caught his eye. Malcolm is waiting in the bar for his “date”…or ra...more
Mary
Apr 25, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: keeper
I loved Malcolm thinking he had everything under control until it spiraled completely away from him. Malcolm is focused and driven and really the kind of man you look at from the outside and think he's got it all together. But he's actually very lonely and in need of some honest-to-goodness romance in his life, the kind that comes with love at the end of the day. And he gets that in Owen. The younger man may not know all the ways of the big city or know about fashion and food, but he knows about...more
~♥*Marianna*♥~ (what stays is dry bones)
*completely flabbergasted*
O_O
I didn't even know this was in the realm of possibility. Apparently, I don't stalk Aleks enough...

Is there a blog where Amy Lane talks about her experience with Aleks?

Was he... gentle, do you think?
Aiko
I admit, I never thought this would work, but it did, so now I'm just gonna go and metaphorically eat my socks.

This is going straight into my "comfort reads when I need a pick-me-up"-folder. It's adorable.
Serena Yates
Wow, this is such an all-round wonderful, funny, and amazing story, I don’t even know where to start. I admit that I was a little skeptical at first – like many others I wasn’t sure about what to expect from this pair of authors working together. The result, I am happy to report, is as delightful as it is emotionally rewarding.

Owen is not only a country mouse (a description that grossly simplifies the many layers of his personality), he knows exactly what he wants. Not that he has ever found it,...more
Christina
This was a fun and sexy read. Both characters have unique characteristics and brought out the best in one another. Owen is down to earth and fun-loving while Malcolm is intense and controlling. For me, Malcolm stole the show. I loved the way he intended to stay in absolute control but then quickly crumbled with need. Owen was able to see past Malcolm's facade and completely throw him off his game. What a surprise for the domineering Malcolm.

It was fun to see these two interact. The sight-seeing...more
Calathea
Apr 23, 2012 Calathea added it
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
I don't exactly know how to rate this. About 85% of the story are longish, nicely written s*xscenes. The rest is a minimum of frame story: Owen comes to London during his Europe tour, meets Malcolm in a pub, they go home together and f*ck, they do tourist stuff and then f*ck, they stay in bed at home and f*ck. Then Owen has to leave for France and Malcolm comes running for him. And that's it.
And while it's well written and hot, it's not enough for me to go on to rate it.
StellaR
The story about instant encounter, instant attraction and what supposed to be a long weekend fling turned out to be something more. Although it's short and fun, it had depth too. I especially adore the cute and smart banters between the MCs.

In short it's engaging and enjoyable. The sequel is City Mouse.
Nic
Really lovely, very character driven short story. Both Owen and Malcolm were a surprise and not what I was expecting. It is wonderful to read a story portraying two men who form a rapid emotional attachment and take a leap of faith to be together.
Darkm
Apr 22, 2012 Darkm rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I like a lot of books Amy Lane wrote, and well, I really love Vonov's books. What can I say about this one? For me it was a little gem. I loved both characters and their interactions, I wish it was longer!
The Challenge Fac...: Zuzana, ~Melissa~ & Ezinwanyi - Country Mouse 13 14 Apr 22, 2014 01:06PM
Romance Readers R...: May M/M Buddy Read- Country Mouse 14 33 May 22, 2013 10:26PM
  • Dark Soul Vol. 4 (Dark Soul, #4)
  • If It Flies (Market Garden, #3)
  • Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia #1)
  • Second Hand (Tucker Springs, #2)
  • Cruce de Caminos
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • Power Play: Resistance (Power Play, #1)
  • Muscling Through
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Frog
  • Priceless (Irresistible Attraction, #1)
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u...more
More about Amy Lane...
Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1) The Locker Room Talker (Talker, #1) Clear Water Chase in Shadow (Johnnies, #1)

“Okay, basics. The three S’s: shower, shit, and shave—every man could do that in his sleep. So he did. He managed his complete morning routine in a mental and emotional coma.” 6 likes
“Can’t... can’t just go away. Can’t just... You can’t get on that train and charge out of my life. It’s not fair. I can’t work, dammit! I... I made a bad trade. I made a bad trade. How dare you? How dare you walk into my flat and... and then just... just walk out again? How can you even—” 4 likes