Start by marking “30 Pieces of Silver” as Want to Read:
30 Pieces of Silver

30 Pieces of Silver (Betrayed #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,518 Ratings  ·  512 Reviews
A Christian suicide bomber. John the Baptist's bones inscribed in ancient Greek. A dark secret carried from the foot of the crucifixion. Can science solve the world's greatest mystery?
Kindle Edition
Published December 22nd 2010 by Off Our Meds Multimedia (first published December 11th 2010)

Virginia
Nov 19, 2012 Virginia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I gave a book only one star- yet I read the whole book! I didn't like the book, but it had nothing to do with the advertised controversial view on biblical history. I didn't like the book because it was not believable in the actions taking place. The action was so outrageous it was not believable. Not even for an author to take some literary license, yet this one took out the licensing bureau!

I was in the military and I have lived overseas. There are gun battles with this book, explosions,
Aruna
Dec 27, 2011 Aruna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book because it was awful. Not only did the authors editor screw her over by not sending the book back for a rewrite or fixing the horrendous grammatical and spelling erros, but the author also fails to bring anything to the table besides trite cliches and ignorance about many topics in the book. She fails to understand physics (and by that I mean the laws of nature as well as the way that bombs explode) and language (languages that include "clicks" are pretty much only Swah ...more
Sharon Jones
Nov 07, 2012 Sharon Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nothing-to-envy
I recently purchased this book as I was intriged by the plot. I found a comment:
"From the opening explosion at the base of the Eiffel Tower uncovering a trove of skeletons to the final scenes throughout Italy, the story involves a search for the remains of Jesus. Rebecca Monroe is "saved" from the clutches of a snake by Sgt. Brandt and his special ops team deep in the Ecuadorian jungle... This begins a roller coaster ride ....

I started the book hoping to enjoy it as much as I did Dan Brown's nov
Ron
Aug 18, 2013 Ron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous. Someone has devised a plot sillier than Dan Brown's and told it in comic book fashion but with no credibility at all.

Verisimilitude. That's what makes stories work. Whether science fiction, romance, thriller or western, there is an unwritten contract between author and reader that, at some level, the story makes sense. This one does not. I can't believe I read the whole thing.

I noted two pages of errors. Some of which are: A squad of American special ops goes off radar for four days,
Lex Allen
I picked 30 Pieces of Silver up because it's in my genre and the premise was intriguing. I start reading with the view that the book will be 5 star and then deduct a star or two or three as I read. By page ten of this book it had already dropped 1/2 of the first star due to a lack of verisimilitude.
In the jungle, surrounded by natives, the book's heroine, Dr. Rebecca Monroe, is tied to a stake with a thirty-two foot anaconda tightly wrapped around her from ankles to neck. She is saved by a grou
Anna
Jul 30, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book under the assumption that anyone could knock off a Dan Brown book (c'mon, they're not THAT wonderful), so why not read the one that cost $3 on Kindle? It leaves a sour taste in my mouth to realize I was wrong. Regretfully, I must admit that Dan Brown has an x-factor that turns a book into a page-turner, and that McCray just couldn't duplicate it.

If a Dan Brown Novel Checklist existed, McCray would have had full page of marks: controversial religious theme and the chase for its a
Heather Book Savvy Babe
30 Pieces of Silver is a very controversial religious thriller. The style is a bit similar to the DaVinci code in that the characters are on the search for controversial religious relics, and a secret society does not want the relics found. That’s it for the similarities though. 30 Pieces of Silver is very much it’s own story. The premise in 30 Pieces of Silver is forensic archeology natured, and definitely unique. The novel blends a touch of romance, action adventure, and dangerous situations t ...more
martin
Jan 21, 2012 martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, to be fair as a piece of writing it was probably more a 2 star than 3, but the deliberately provocative idea appealed to me - brave or just seeking publicity, doesn't much matter as it is a great story to play with. Lovers of action stories and mysteries will enjoy the speed of this one - it lacks the long, boring exposition/explanation that Dan Brown uses excessively in The Da Vinci Code. The end is unexpected but in keeping with the story up to that point - nice touch.

There was obviously s
Paula Howard
Jun 12, 2013 Paula Howard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
30 Pieces of Silver was a lot of hype about nothing. It really went on and on in place. I have read more than my fair share of religious historical/ fiction/espionage, so I have a great deal to compare to this book.

As a former religion teacher, one of things that bothered me most is the lack of scriptural accuracy. Judas and Jesus did not grow up together. Judas was the only one of the original 12 that was not from Galilee.

Paul was not one of the original 12. Paul was part Roman and Hebrew. His
Jeremy Yoder
There's something self-involved about a novel that bills itself as an "extremely controversial historical thriller." While Carolyn McCray's mediocre novel will probably appeal to fans of the genre, it also ends up as a lot less than what it aims for. Like Dan Brown's ubiquitous Di Vinci Code, 30 Pieces of Silver draws inspiration from the gnostic gospels (i.e. the Gospel of Judas) to present an alternative history of Christianity that undermines the central tenants and truth claims of the Church ...more
Craig Berkman
I would have stopped reading this book before I reached half way had it not been for the reasonably intriguing premise that the bones of Jesus might be found. However, I hate stories involving improbable heroics and "lucky" escapes, and after the first couple, I had had enough. The idea that super-human military dudes will simply always prevail, and be able to buy or steal everything they need, and be able to travel at super speeds from one location to another, and be able to take on any disguis ...more
Collin
Sep 18, 2014 Collin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fairness of this review, I am a Christian.

This is another novel about the search for the bones of Christ (my all-time favorite is "A Skeleton in God's Closet". I enjoyed the action and the twists along the way, thus the reason for 4 stars.

Do I believe Jesus died and rose again? Yes, I do. That is the core of my faith as a Christian. Does reading this novel challenge my faith? Not at all. I know it's 100% fiction and I read it as such and enjoyed it as pure fiction should be.

I will not give a
Mike Vasich
Jul 13, 2012 Mike Vasich marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
There were issues that I couldn't get past. I didn't find the story to be "sacrilegious" as some extreme reviewers have mentioned (um, it IS fiction), but the desire to solve the mystery wasn't strong enough to overcome the other issues. Others have really liked it but it wasn't for me, unfortunately.
Patricia
Mar 10, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, adventure
This is the first book I have ever read that came with a warning.

***Warning*** Before you purchase this book please be aware that 30 Pieces of Silver is an extremely controversial religious/historical thriller. Too controversial to be published in hardback. Please do NOT purchase this book if you were at all disturbed by the DaVinci Code or The Passion of Christ's revelations.

I like both of the books mentioned in the warning so I read this too and really enjoyed it. Remember folks it's FICTION!
J.F. Penn
May 04, 2011 J.F. Penn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, religious
Full video review here: http://mysterythriller.tv/30-pieces-o...

As usual, I’m a sucker for any book with remotely religious connections so I couldn’t resist this bestselling Kindle thriller!

The book starts with a prologue in Jerusalem with the pain of the crucifixion and a witness who feels responsible, and then we jump to the present day straight into an explosion that rocks the Eiffel Tower in Paris and uncovers ancient bones.

The pace stays fast and furious as the action cuts to genetic anthr
Jeffrey
Life is too short to read inane books.

I was interested in this book because in the review, this is compared to a Dan Brown novel. I thought this could be fun.

This is not Dan Brown! At least his plots, if not possible, at least they are plausible and clever.

This was like reading a Rambo movie. I should have know it was going to be ridiculous when the book begins with the main character about to be squeezed to death by an anaconda in the jungle, only to learn that she was participating in some kin
Donna
Jan 02, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2012
This is very much a knock-off of The Da Vinci Code. It's fast-paced but there are so many plot inconsistencies and impossible coincidences and occurrences that it just became laughable. It had an interesting premise and it moved quickly enough to hold my interest just long enough to finish it but I won't be reading any more from this author.
Gloria Johnson
Jul 31, 2013 Gloria Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed emotions about the book. The action scenes were a little too over-the-top, I suppose, but the story did move right along. The best part, to me, was the flashbacks to the story of Jesus and Judas told in modern language which read like a novel. I didn't find the book to be all that controversial, but the unorthodox ideas of what actually happened at (and after) the crucifixion of Jesus were fascinating.
Elizabeth Horton-Newton
"30 Pieces of Silver" by Carolyn McCray was a Kindle book I picked up because it was on sale at Amazon. Usually the freebies and low cost books are hit or miss and this one turned out to be a hit. Rebecca Monroe is a scientist with a goal. But her goal becomes secondary as she is drawn into the search to find the bones of the disciples of Jesus. Hoping the discovery will aid her in her mission to confirm what she calls the "smart gene" she reunites with an old mentor and lover. In the course of ...more
Alisa Hedden
Jan 27, 2013 Alisa Hedden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book belongs on the shelf next to Dan Brown’s the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons. This involves the types of secrets that if revealed could destroy the foundations of faith for much of the world and secret societies that have worked for centuries (and sometime against each other) to keep the secrets hidden from the world.
The action starts (in our time) with a bombing at the Eiffel Tower, which turns out was to destroy some artifacts buried under the site of the tower centuries prior t
MayMay
Apr 25, 2012 MayMay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great concept in a not so awesome book. The book started off bad and got better as it went along but it was never great.

Too many mission impossible scenes with absolutely unbelievable outcomes for a team of 4 and two nutty professors. I've read other thrillers with possibly more ridiculous action than this but that still sound believable. No one in the planet can have the luck these did, which was completely fine but boring and predictable. Once you read the first 5+ page fight scene y
Chris
May 17, 2012 Chris rated it did not like it
Despite the fact that the author can'decide if she wants this story to be Dan Brown, Clive Cussler, or Indiana Jones, I'm ok with the adventure part--barely. The characters are absolute cliches and mostly annoying (ding-dong Lochum's dead!). The romance implausable (Danielle Steele anyone?)...fall deeply in love in 24 hours, blah, blah. Oh, and in the middle of hot sex, she gets a clue to what they are looking for, and they just hsppily drop everything to continue "the mission." Hilarious.
No. Wh
Sheila
Jan 14, 2012 Sheila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Jamnjazzz
Nov 07, 2013 Jamnjazzz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book...I'm not sure what I had been expecting, and I didn't buy into all the "controversial" smoke that the PR was blowing, but I figured it was free and sounded kinda interesting so hey why not. I liked the Robert Langdon novels and that type of mystery / thriller in general so I figured I give it go.

The plot was good, if a little over the top at times. It kept moving and just when you thought you figured out a number of things, a new twist appeared. A couple problems were that the
Annette Gisby
Nov 18, 2012 Annette Gisby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conspiracy, thriller
There's a standing joke in our house that I only read book with pictures of a red cross on the front. Things like Secret of the Templars, The Templar Code etc. It's true, I do have a soft spot for religious conspiracy thrillers ever since I read the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

30 Pieces of Silver is only like the Da Vinci Code in the broadest sense in that it deals with a religous conspiracy and a secret society determined to keep it secret at all costs, even if that means murder and mayhem. It's
Christie
Jan 12, 2014 Christie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posted-on-blog
Teresa
A warning first (after reading Amazon reviews for this book). This book is fiction. It makes no claims that any parts of it are non-fiction. If you can suspend your disbelief--cast aside any firm religious beliefs you have about the Crucifixion, and you can read a story about the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ without getting angry that it tells a different tale than the one in the Holy Bible, then I highly recommend this story.

The pace is fast. The reader is dropped "in medias res", smack dab in t
Erin
Feb 13, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best I can say is it was "interesting." I can see how the religious people could be upset with some of her ideas, but being a Pagan to me it was more of a Clue type, "This is how it COULD have happened!" It's just the author's idea of what might have happened during the Crucifixion.

The problem was that the idea of the story was more believable then the action. Think of Dan Brown meets James Bond, directed by Jon Woo, staring Sty Stallone!! There is only some much I can believe. They get att
Elaine
This book started off interesting, but as it developed there were too many coincidences, and too much good luck. It was just too unbelievable that they would be able to save the one bone in a skeleton with the clue, not once but 3 times. It also wasn't easy to believe that a team of special forces soldiers would go along with the professors and help them with their discovery. Doesn't anyone proof read anymore? There were multiple problems especially in the last half of the book with errors, thin ...more
Bill Brown
Jan 16, 2012 Bill Brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Contrary to the reviewer/author James Rollins' review of this book, Dan Brown's crown is not up for grabs, especially by Ms. McCray. Purchased a new eReader and this was my first purchase. Really went out on a limb and paid $3.00 to Amazon. Good thing it didn't cost any more than that. A rather sophomoric attempt and not even close to a Dan Brown thriller that it tries to emulate. The book did, however, afford me the opportunity to become comfortable with the ebook and its cool features.

At time
  • Hell Around the Horn
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • Sendero
  • Bluff
  • City of Darkness (City of Mystery, #1)
  • Thirst
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • The Messiah Matrix
  • The Psalter
  • All for One
  • Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #2)
  • The Dark Path
  • Ascension Day
This is a pen name of Goodreads author Cristyn West.
More about Carolyn McCray...

Betrayed (7 books)
  • Ambush (Betrayed, #.5)
  • Targeted (Betrayed, #1.5)
  • Havoc (Betrayed, #2)
  • Covert (Betrayed, #2.5)
  • Shiva (Betrayed, #3)
  • Mayhem

“your body betraying you, jerking” 0 likes
“Angered again, the man looked up at the clear skies—where heaven in all its glory lay. Why was the sky not gray and brooding? In His absolute fury, a recriminating thunder should shake the” 0 likes