Start by marking “The French Girl” as Want to Read:
The French Girl

The French Girl

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The heartwarming story of a young French girl raised in a world of prejudice and despair, who becomes orphaned and is sent to live with her distant cousin and her cousin's partner. Embraced by their love and warmly welcomed by their community of lesbian friends, she slowly discovers the true meaning of family -- until the state decides to take her away (from the author's w ...more
Published February 7th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published December 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The French Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French Girl

Lori
In the tiny town of Cote Nouveau, Massachusetts, Etoile, and her older sister, Anais, live a rough life with their mother, a woman who prefers the bottle to her own children. Their father, a fisherman, was lost at sea years ago. They make do with what they have and watch out for each other. Especially when word spreads that the county lady is making her rounds. Then a tragic accident occurs, and the girls are forced to live apart as Anais is not old enough to take care of Etoile on her own. Anai ...more
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This review first appeared on my blog: http://www.knittingandsundries.com/20...

First sentence: Papa used to always say that the wind carried with it either secrets or souls and if you watched very carefully, you could tell which one it was.

Originally published as a Kindle-only novel, and recently released in paperback, The French Girl is a story of an eleven-year-old girl named Etoile living in the fishing town of Cote Nouveau, MA in the 1970's.

With the death of Etoile's father during a storm fi
Nicki
I almost didn't read The french Girl. I downloaded it when it was free, but for some reason I imagined that it was going to be dull and dry. I pictured it possibly being a book that was translated from French and might be hard to follow. Because the cover art and title were vague, I even thought it might be a poorly written self-published book. However, the other day I decided to give it a try. And I was pleasantly surprised! Not only was the writing beautiful, but the story and characters were ...more
Sally
So this was just lovely to read :) I found it a little slow to get into at first, but in the end I have to give it five not four stars because once Etoile was living with Jean and Giselle, it picked up so much and was just amazing. So lovely to read and picture. I loved the three main characters so much - Etoile is just adorable, and Jean and Giselle were such a lovely couple!

I found the setting a little confusing at first though. The small village of Côte Nouveau is so very French and I did jus
Judy
This is my first book to download to my new kindle. I am excited to read it but I may save it to read in the car on the way to Wisconsin next month. Well! I started it and could not put it down.. I read it all. Kinda wish I would have saved it for our trip as it would have passed by quickly. This is one of my favorite books I have ever read. The author made me feel like I was watching everyone. I could see them clearly and descriptions of food made me hungry. haha.. Love it.. and speaking of foo ...more
Cristina
One of the best books I have read on what qualifies a couple to raise a child. This book will grab you from the moment you meet Etoile. I know because I opened it intending to skim a couple of pages and ended up reading it straight through. Well written story with characters you will love. I highly recommend this book to anyone who works with foster care and adoption. I also believe this book would make an awesome book club choice. With the topic being same sex couples as parents I am sure this ...more
Patricia

When 11 year old Etoile suddenly becomes an orphan the state sends her to live with a cousin she has never met. This is a heart warming story about a young girl who blossoms under the loving care of and her cousin and her partner. She encounters intolerance/prejudice from several classmates, other adults, and even her older sister. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil the ending.

This is set in New Hampshire in the late 1970s-- much has changed but much still needs to change.

Sex and vio
Donna Vallee
I thought the story was interesting. I liked it. I only gave it three stars because the "voice" of Etoile bothered me. For an eleven/twelve her English seemed so correct and proper. Then when the sister, Anais, wrote her letters, if she wrote something in French, the English word was after. I think it's great that we come along way since the seventies as far as gay couples adopting and raising children!
Karen Monahan
I thought this book was going to be boring and it was anything but. I loved the characters, the dialogue and everything else. I found myself checking how many pages I had left because I didn't want it to end! An appropriate read at this time in history but a great read anytime. I'm so glad I downloaded it and have already lent it through kindle to my sister because it's a must-read.
Donna
Ms. Donovan has written a charming book, in fact one of my favorites of the month. I love how she used the child's voice of an eleven year old girl, and the time frame of the fifties. So different than today's society.
This author did a lovely job of character development, made you question what a family really is.
I highly recommend The French Girl.
Gina
A quick and enjoyable read. At times, the lines about "real French women" seemed a bit forced, but otherwise, I greatly enjoyed the writing.
Jamie
This was a very enjoyable, quick read! It flowed well, and I found myself getting lost in the story. I would definitely recommend!
Klanderson
A very thoughtful story about tragedy in one family and love in another. I enjoyed this read!
Shirley
A very good book. Easy read but very sweet. Tackles some political issues during the 70's.
Howard Katzoff
Excellent story

This is one incredible story so don't start it before bedtime. It's absorbing, cliff hanging and thrilling. What a terrific story line. No way can you guess the ending. Read it- you'll be happy you did!
Niki
Quick, easy read. Wished it had been longer.
Chrisann Williams
I couldn't wait to read what would happen next. So many life lessons in these pages. Seeing the world through Etoile's eyes and seeing unconditional love from Giselle and Jean, gives great hope to the reader. I absolutely loved this story,
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Friday Sunday Grimm
Friday Sunday Grimm marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Mariah Marks
Mariah Marks marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Luticia
Luticia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Ask the Author 1 3 Apr 02, 2013 08:56AM
  • Midwyf: Liza
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • Minus Tide (Hidden Talents, #2)
  • After The Rising: A Novel (An Irish Trilogy Book 1)
  • Gisborne: Book of Pawns (The Gisborne Saga, #1)
  • Amelia's Last Secret
  • Hetaera--Suspense in Ancient Athens (Agathon's Daughter)
  • Daughters of Iraq
  • The Books of Rachel
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • Indecent Proposal
  • The Promise
Author of THE FRENCH GIRL, THE BLACK WIDOW AGENCY Series of comedy-mysteries featuring the raucously funny gals of The Black Widow Investigative Agency; and several other books.
More about Felicia Donovan...
The Black Widow Agency Spun Tales Cyber Crime Fighters: Tales from the Trenches The Black Widow Agency: Case #1 The Black Widow Agency - Case #3