Start by marking “Seed Magic” as Want to Read:
Seed Magic

Seed Magic

2.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Published March 1st 2012 by Peachtree

To ask other readers questions about Seed Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seed Magic

Ruth Ann
Sep 09, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The colorful illustrations are absolutely fabulous. There is movement, joy, and a celebration of African American heritage.

The text is brief and reflects an inner city dialect. Yes, the grammar isn't "correct" but it is definitely authentic. I can hear Rose, her brother, and the bird man speaking exactly like this in their home environment.

The themes of seeing beauty in unexpected places and forming neighborhood relationships are both positive and heartwarming.
Tasha
May 01, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rose and her brothers make fun of the old man who feeds the pigeons all day long from his wheelchair. When Rose asks him why he likes pigeons so much, he tells her how beautiful they are. But Rose can’t see it at all; she thinks that gardens are much more lovely than birds. So Birdman gives her some seeds to put outside her window and grow a garden on her windowsill. Rose knows that it won’t work, since there’s no dirt for them to grow in, but Birdman is insistent that they will grow a garden on ...more
Barbara
Sometimes it's hard to find beauty when you live in a city. When Rose and her brothers watch the man they call Birdman feed the pigeons, they tease him because they don't understand his affection for the birds. In Rose's eyes, beauty comes in the form of gardens filled with "blue lupines, red geraniums, yellow sunflowers" (unpaginated). When Birdman gives her some seeds, she plants them on the windowsill and waits. What happens next surprises her, but helps her see possible magic in the world ar ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

Rose dreams of beautiful gardens. She shares her dreams with an old man in a wheelchair who is feeding pigeons at the city park. He gives her some “magic” seeds and instructs her to place them on her concrete windowsill. In this colorful, beautifully illustrated picture book Rose discovers that seeds can grow a brightly colored garden in unexpected ways. This simple picture book is perfect for preschoolers.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Lynne
Beautiful pictures. Good idea. Writing - ah, not so much. There was a lack of cadence to the speech of the characters that I found awkward.
Danielle
That surprise ending really got me! Lovely. Yes, expect the unexpected and see things differently.
Jessica
Nov 29, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Appeal characteristics: modern art feel, unique story aspect

I'm not sure how to describe this book. I'm not sure if the message is look at the ugly and make it beautiful...or crazy people aren't necessarily crazy? It has remnants of fairy tale/fable elements but I felt the storyline did not quite connect. The art almost overshadows the story itself as I was more interested to how the book was illustrated than about the story at all!
Shelli
Jul 02, 2012 Shelli rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Terrible. I didn't like the broken up way the characters in this book spoke. Not 1 person spoke in a complete sentence, grammar so bad that I would feel the need to instruct after every sentence "Now how could you say or right that correctly?"
Malissa
This book is on the Fountas and Pinnell genre list from their latest book. They apparently see something I don't. The wording was weird, the story ends too quickly without showing character change. It won't make my list!
Edward Sullivan
May 22, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful, vibrant illustrations don't quite jell with the awkward rhyming text.
Donalyn
Beautiful illustrations
Katy Bennett
Katy Bennett rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2016
Maeve
Maeve marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Shannan Hicks
Shannan Hicks marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Muriel L.
Muriel L. rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Nhuaey Anchalee
Nhuaey Anchalee marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Josey
Josey rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2014
Tredyffrin Children
Tredyffrin Children rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2013
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2012