Start by marking “Spitting Devil (Jonathan Stride, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Spitting Devil (Jonathan Stride, #5.5)

Spitting Devil (Jonathan Stride #5.5)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  598 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
DETECTIVE JONATHAN STRIDE IS BACK.

A third woman dead in two months.

And for the third time, Alison Malville isn’t sure her husband was home all night.

When the killer sends the usual photo of his victim to the press, she sees an item of her clothing left with this body, too.

Could you believe your own husband was capable of murder? Would you turn him in?

This is exclusive to e
Published March 12th 2012 by Quercus (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Spitting Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spitting Devil

Brian Freeman
Feb 04, 2014 Brian Freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
My 16,000-word Jonathan Stride short story “Spitting Devil” is now available in the U.S. Kindle store!

This story actually began in Spain. My Spanish publisher Circulo de Lectores was preparing a crime anthology, and they asked me to submit a short story to the collection. The theme of the anthology was “the perfect crime,” and I decided to take an unusual twist on that idea. In this case, what’s been stolen is someone’s perfect life.

Alison Malville seemingly has it all. Happy marriage. Beautiful
Naomi
Oct 09, 2013 Naomi rated it liked it
This 38 page short story was ok for being written by Brian Freeman. I love Freeman's writing and thought that this book was weak for being his caliber. I thought it wrapped up a bit neatly and superficially written. I see that a number of authors will do these lil shorts before a release of a full length novel. More likely than not, they don't work and this one was no exception.
Godzilla
Apr 03, 2012 Godzilla rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, 2012, kindle
A freebie from the Kindle store, I approached this optimistically, there were some sparkling reviews, both of this and the series generally.

It's fast paced, and whilst there's an attempt to lay red herrings, they just didn't really work effectively for me.

I found it hard to relate to the main characters, and was surprised at how little detail there was about the main detectives, who are apparently stalwarts of the series!

This was a relatively short tale and whilst the tension built well, the ove
Jane
Mar 30, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
I was up to date on the Jonathan Stride series and eagerly awaiting the next one which I believe does not come out until Spring 2013, so I was surprised and grateful to be emailed about this short story which I downloaded for free from Amazon to my computer kindle.
Brian Freeman is my favourite male author and I have read all the Jonathan Stride series within the past 6 months or so. He is an amazing writer and tells such a brilliant story.
This short story follows on from The Burying Place and St
Ian
This kindle freebie was my first taste of Brian Freeman. It's a good little crime thriller which kept me hooked all the way through and certainly made me want to explore a full size novel by this author. I won't give anything away, but given it's size be aware that there is little detail about the Minnesota based detective, Jonathan Stride, who is the hero of the series, but focuses on the husband and wife who are the two main characters caught in the middle of a triple murder spree.
Nancy
Mar 23, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
As I have said multiple times, I am not a fan of the half books that do not move the main characters or storylines of a series ahead. In that aspect, this book is not necessary in the world of Jonathan Stride. However, if you are looking for creepy afternoon read, this would fill the bill.

The bodies of dead redheaded women are starting to gather attention. Jonathan hates when the media gives a nickname to a killer, but there does not seem to be a way around it this time. There is one clue that t
Mary Mullane
Mar 10, 2016 Mary Mullane rated it it was amazing
I love Minnesota authors, and Brian Freeman is one of my favorites. This short novella is well crafted and keeps you guessing.
Dee
Oct 12, 2012 Dee rated it it was ok
I have read and loved all of Brian Freemans books and particularly love his 'Stride' series.

I was excited to get my hands on this short story hoping it would be sufficient to keep me going until the next exciting 'Stride' installment, sadly it did not.

The entire plot was just plain weird and I didn't care for any of the characters.

That said I fully intend to read the next 'Stride' story as once it is released.
Helen Laycock
Apr 24, 2012 Helen Laycock rated it it was ok
This had a promising start - the author has potential, but this was much too short to stand as a novel. I felt as though I had read a short story instead as it suffered from lack of character and plot development.
Sharon Gigliotti
Mar 02, 2014 Sharon Gigliotti rated it it was amazing
Freeman never disappoints! As always, his books are always hard to put down. This was a great short read
TeriC
Feb 17, 2014 TeriC rated it really liked it
Brian Freeman always write a good book. This short story fills the gap between his books.
Rick
Jun 06, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it
Tight and quirky short from thriller-master Freeman.
Aug 07, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Spitting Devil was the first book I've read by Brian Freeman, and actually it was a "novella" since it was very short. I thought it was a great introduction for me to this author since it gave me a good idea of his writing style and, plot development, characters, and closing style. For a short story, Freeman did a great job with the character and plot development, as well as a well done wrap up and resolution at the end. I will definitely be reading more books by this author.
Samantha
Dec 05, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Brian Freeman always does a great job with twists. I have read many other novels by him and for a shorter story, The Spitting Devil would give a first time reader of what kind of author Brian Freeman is an what style of writing he chooses. I was definitely not disappointed for this being a short story. It only made me want to continue with the Jonathan Stride series even more. I look forward to The Cold Nowhere.
Nicki
Mar 20, 2015 Nicki rated it it was amazing
I love the Jonathan Stride series,they are always full of twists and it is always very hard to work out who the killer is.Even though this is a short book it is still very good and does keep you guessing,is Michael the killer or maybe it's Alison or maybe it's the person that you least suspected.Another great book by Brian Freeman,I would love to see this book series made into a tv series.
Sarah Tilsley
Feb 18, 2014 Sarah Tilsley rated it it was amazing
This is a great little short story. I downloaded it for free and decided to give it a whirl even though it was number 5.5 in the series. I'm glad that I did. The characters were believable, the story was catching and I was hooked. I can't wait to read more from this author.
Kevin
Spitting

I love the Jonathan Strride series and this is another great read. Unfortunately it was a short story with potential to be more. Enjoy!
Joanna
Mar 20, 2014 Joanna rated it liked it
couldn't stop reading, nice plotting, some good characterization, although the older characters are more finely drawn than the younger ones.
Michelle Ward
Feb 02, 2016 Michelle Ward rated it really liked it
This was an awesome short story. It plays on a fear I think a lot of people have or have had, if you have an attic. Very well written.
Fred
Jun 19, 2015 Fred rated it really liked it
Saw a movie like this once. I've enjoyed his Stride stories because they were thoughtful and unique.
Amk256
May 07, 2014 Amk256 rated it liked it
Great short read. would have been fab as a longer book but nonetheless really enjoyed this book. Looking forward to reading more by this author A x
Julie
Jan 15, 2016 Julie added it
Short and sweet it was. But worth it!! Amazing that you can get such into so little!!
Sharon Peterson
Mar 05, 2015 Sharon Peterson rated it it was amazing
Brian Freeman is a wonderful author. This was a short story - so very easy to read!
Jeri
Aug 10, 2015 Jeri rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Quick read. Exciting. Told very much from the point of view of the victims.
Joy
Feb 12, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
Glad to have a little taste of Stride before the next book is released.
Kristen
Jun 01, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it
Wish this had been a full book and not a short story.
Michele Tournay
Mar 21, 2014 Michele Tournay rated it it was amazing
42 pages, not bad at all.

I'll be looking for his others
Nora
Apr 21, 2016 Nora rated it liked it
A one-off crime mystery, without much of the interpersonal of Stride or other main characters.
Nancy
Feb 07, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good read!!
Keith
Jan 24, 2014 Keith rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short story with its creepy ending.
  • Scratch
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
  • Gated
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Chasing Innocence
  • The Closet (Summerset Tales #1)
  • The Essene Conspiracy
  • Sendero
  • Breaking Cover (Tony Wolf/Tim Buckthorn #1)
  • Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady, #2)
  • Silver Justice
  • Claws
  • Tangled Web
  • Ascension Day
  • The Spanish Helmet
  • The Innocent
  • Rotten Apple: Seven Sins, One Deadly City
  • You Wish...
Brian Freeman is an international bestselling author of psychological suspense novels, including the Jonathan Stride and Cab Bolton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 20 languages and have appeared as Main Selections in the Literary Guild and the Book of the Month Club. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled p ...more
More about Brian Freeman...

Jonathan Stride (7 books)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6)
  • Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride, #7)

“breathing. He coughed from deep inside his lungs,” 0 likes