Start by marking “After the Witch Hunt ” as Want to Read:
After the Witch Hunt

After the Witch Hunt

In Megan Falleys new poetry collection, The Newlydeads, she writes, "...if you really love a writer, bury her in all your awful and watch as she scrawls her way out,” Welcome to an incessant and fearless digging through childhood mysteries, scenes of NYC nightlife and nascent romance. The Newlydeads is a journey in building escape routes for every reader. Armed with both ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Write Bloody Publishing

Liz Janet
Mar 03, 2016 Liz Janet rated it liked it
This book was read for the #readwomen month.
My favourite poem by her is "Fat Girl", which although here, I prefer to listen to her perform.
This collection felt a little bit flat compared to the poems I have seen her perform, but that is a personal preference, since some of those written here are actually on YouTube.
Her most powerful poem, besides "Fat Girl", is "The Worst Thing I Ever Taught My Girl." On this one she speaks of the mistake many parents and friends make constantly, a boy bullies
Conor
Mar 15, 2012 Conor rated it it was amazing
Awesome upon awesome. This book has it all. From explorations into the lasting affect of childhood to the bumping NYC nightlife, Megan Falley brings it all to the table. A colorful and interesting read. Great for someone dipping their feet into poetry or the seasoned veterans. Preorder on Writebloody.com!
Megan RFA
Apr 20, 2014 Megan RFA rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A solid collection, to be sure, but could use some tweaking. There were several poems that could be tighter, or more clean, or where the language fell flat. It seemed like some of the poems were simply unfinished, like the poet hadn't let them marinate long enough before coming back to do edits. I experience this a lot myself as a writer, where I think I'm done only to come back a month later and know exactly which lines to cut, which words to switch. And then out of nowhere comes "The ...more
Never_
Dec 02, 2014 Never_ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, i-own, favorites
This book really surprised me. Excellent collection of poetry and I couldn't believe this is only a debut. 'The Worst Thing I Ever Taught My Girl' will blow you away with just a few sentences. My favorites were 'This Poem Came Quick', 'Rain' and 'Fat Girl'. Megan Falley rocks.
Brianna
Dec 15, 2014 Brianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
More than once, I felt like I had been punched in the gut by some of these poems. Absolutely stunning.
C.W. Smith
Aug 20, 2014 C.W. Smith rated it it was amazing
Megan Falley's great. Describing poetry is like writing books about the economy. No one actually knows how any of it works, we just know when it does. This collection works, and I'm shutting up now.
Dorcas Cherogony
Jul 29, 2013 Dorcas Cherogony rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, poetry
I loved it. It was real, relatable and just overall beautiful. I loved every poem and found myself tabbing up almost each one. She is amazing and inspiring both in writing and on stage.
Amelia
Oct 08, 2012 Amelia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read.
Courtney LeBlanc
Jun 01, 2014 Courtney LeBlanc rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of seeing Megan perform some of her poems at a poetry slam recently and I immediately purchased her book after the reading. The few poems I heard at the reading peeked my attention and I am happy to say this book does not disappoint. In fact, it is the best book of poetry I've read all year.

Her poems are fearless and brave, they make you think, they make your heart sing a little before crashing to its death. These poems are wonderful and fluid, she blends beautiful imagery wit
Jackie
Apr 20, 2016 Jackie rated it it was ok
a few of the poems were both clever and moving, some were just clever, and at least two were so busy being 'clever' that they forgot to be humane; 'this poem came quick' was tasteless, and 'pendulum' was unbelievably insensitive ...hence i didn't buy / wouldn't recommend [the 2012 edition of] this book.
Jawanza
May 06, 2016 Jawanza rated it really liked it
If you like the poetry of Rachel McKibbens, Andrea Gibson or Jeanann Verlee, you will find much to like in this collection which bears a family resemblance to their work, yet ultimately demonstrates a unique voice. Strong work.
Valeria
Sep 08, 2015 Valeria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Megan is powerful. And sweet. And sad.
Megan is our voice.
Read this collection of her poems... I will again and again and again.
Manda
Aug 22, 2015 Manda rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Favorites are "What the Hour Hand Said to the Minute Hand" and "Harry Harlow Resurrects to Remind Me I Am Indeed Alone."
Rachel
Jun 23, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
So good. Ms. Falley proves with the greatest finesse that brutality in poetry is needed, if only just to feel like we can breathe.
Noura
Noura rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Zelly
Zelly rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Josh Hutton
Josh Hutton rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Carissa
Carissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Regina Polk
Regina Polk rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Talicha Johnson
Talicha Johnson rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Karly
Karly rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Chantelle
Chantelle rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
James Bradley
James Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Lydia Havens
Lydia Havens rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Wil Gibson
Wil Gibson rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2013
  • Courage: Daring Poems for Gutsy Girls
  • The Last American Valentine: Illustrated Poems to Seduce and Destroy
  • The Endarkenment
  • Floating, Brilliant, Gone
After receiving her degree in English Literature and Creative Writing from the State University of New York at New Paltz, Megan left her college town slam poet legacy for a bigger stage in NYC. Since then she has been published in a party of literary magazines including PANK, The Legendary, Kill Author, decomP magazinE, and The Literary Bohemian. In 2010 she recorded a CD, A Damsel's Guide to ...more
More about Megan Falley...

“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.” —Henry David Thoreau” 3 likes