Start by marking “Raven: The Balance: Book Two” as Want to Read:
Raven: The Balance: Book Two

Raven: The Balance: Book Two (The Balance)

Raven is the second book in The Balance series - a collection of paranormal thrillers dealing with the unseen world of balancing powers.

Too often life is viewed in terms of good and evil, black or white, and the balance point tipping in either direction is ignored. Why should the afterlife be any different? We are given a choice when we die to move on to the Source, stay o
Published March 6th 2012 by BookBaby

To ask other readers questions about Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven

Latika Harrison
Apr 23, 2012 Latika Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kick-ass-chicks
This review is for the series as a whole, but I'm putting it on "Raven" because it is my favorite to date. The Balance books are everything modern fiction should be...and rarely is. The story has action and wonderful description and dialouge, plus the narrative isn't dumbed down. I'm a big girl, I can admit that I had to look up a word or two, but you know what? I think that makes for a better story. The depth of the Balance characters and story is amazing. Fiction with thought behind it.
Iris Donner
Mar 17, 2012 Iris Donner rated it it was amazing
Nick Shamhart is proving to be one of the quickest wits in modern fiction. I loved both of the Balance books, but "Raven" being told from a woman's perspective really sucked me in. Most male authors just can't do it. Mr. Shamhart is brilliant at it. I really believed I was reading a book written by a woman. To be honest I've read books by women with a lead female character that were less believable than "Raven". I love her, she is a great character and a great book!
Daniel Morway
Mar 27, 2012 Daniel Morway rated it it was amazing
You may have heard people call Shamhart the Twain of his generation. That isn't too far off. His descriptions are second to none. Shamhart can give you in one sentence what it would take any other modern author a paragraph to do. If you are one of those readers who complains about there never being anything new or fresh in fiction, then try the Balance books, that will shut you right up.
Karren
Apr 29, 2012 Karren rated it it was amazing
I love the Balance books. There is nothing else like them on the market. The best description I can come up with for Mr. Shamhart's writting style is it feels like the spirits of Twain, Tolkien, and George Carlin all channelled their efforts through his words!
Janice McGraw
Apr 19, 2012 Janice McGraw rated it it was amazing
Very clever and funny. I love vampires no matter how over done they are in pop culture. This book is full of jibes and psychological rational as to why women like me love vampires, and it is brilliant!
Jennifer Jones
Mar 21, 2012 Jennifer Jones rated it it was amazing
Even better than "Grey"!!!!
Jill Bellamie
Apr 11, 2012 Jill Bellamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, paranormal
OMG! I love these books! No other series has me crying one minute and laughing the next as the Balance does. You really need to read these books!
Cammie
Aug 15, 2012 Cammie rated it it was amazing
Shamhart is a very clever story teller. What at first sounds like a cross-over is really a very clever poke at a fad blown out of proportions. The "Vampires" are really demons taking advantage of that currently sexy girly fad, and using that cover to suit their own twisted fantasies, or one demon's, and of course the ultimate devil is a woman. There are nice touches of humor and emotion all through the story and the series shift to the point-of-view of another main character "Raven" instead of r ...more
Missy
Apr 29, 2012 Missy rated it it was amazing
At first I was really leary because the first book was outside of what you expect in paranormal. Plus when I read the synopsis that the second book had vampires I was really really worried, because I love vampires but didn't see how they would fit into the Balance series. But though it wasn't what I expected it was absolutely amazing! Funny and tear jerking at the same time.
Michael
Apr 19, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Raven kept me intrigued and I could not wait to finish it. The character Raven was facinating since she was complex and seemed to find her emotions pulling her in several directions. I enjoyed reading about many of the 'supporting' characters too, they really developed the story and gave it depth. I enjoyed being suprised by some of their actions too! A must read on my shelf!
Sarah T.
Aug 03, 2012 Sarah T. rated it it was amazing
A very clever look at life and death. And how and why we like the things we do. I will never look at the vampire mythology the same after reading this book. Anybody that loves or hates the current vampire fad really needs to read this book, both sides will get something out of it.
Beth
Jun 01, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shamhart is living proof that not all American writers have sold out, pandering for sex and violence. You just have to look really hard to find them. The Balance books are a great read and I am looking forward to the next installment!

Debbie
Jun 12, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Clever and witty, you will never look at fads like vampires the same way after reading this book. The Balance books are like an entertaining psych course where the professor cracks jokes and you actually want to go to class!
Kris
Apr 19, 2012 Kris rated it it was amazing
This second book of the Balance series is even more exciting and fast-paced than the first. The characters are complex and facinating. It is the type of book you can read over and over, finding something new about the story each time you read it.
Cindy
Jul 28, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Insightful and emotional, The Balance books make you stop, place your bookmark, think about what you just read, and then pick it back up because you want to know what comes next!
Debbie Savage
Apr 21, 2012 Debbie Savage rated it it was amazing
Funny and exciting!!!!
Madaline
May 29, 2012 Madaline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, paranormal, horror
Every vampire fan should read this book! I really don't care either way, but the author makes some great observations on pop culture that even the most devoute fang fan should like.
Holly W.
Holly W. rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Travis Smith
Travis Smith rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
Selma
Selma rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Gordon
Gordon rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2013
Sara N.
Sara N. rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2013
Ashlie
Ashlie rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2012
Billy Hoakes
Billy Hoakes rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
  • Abraham Lincoln; His Speeches and Writings
  • How to Quiet Your Mind: Relax and Silence the Voice of Your Mind Today to Reduce Stress and Achieve Inner Peace Using Meditation! - A Beginner's Guide
  • The Best Things in Life: A Guide to What Really Matters
  • Executive Presence: The Art of Commanding Respect Like a CEO
  • The Katyn Order
  • The Two-Second Advantage: How We Succeed by Anticipating the Future--Just Enough
  • Wire to Wire
  • The Power of Impossible Thinking: Transform the Business of Your Life and the Life of Your Business [With CDROM]
  • Clairvoyance and Occult Powers
  • Dark & Day
  • Hacking Leadership: The 11 Gaps Every Business Needs to Close and the Secrets to Closing Them Quickly
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • What to Ask the Person in the Mirror: Critical Questions for Becoming a More Effective Leader and Reaching Your Potential
  • Pyg: The Memoirs of Toby, the Learned Pig
  • Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7)
  • The Art of the Sale
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • Thinking Small: The Long, Strange Trip of the Volkswagen Beetle
Nick Shamhart was born in Sandusky, Ohio on the winter solstice in the years before Americans started electing actors as President. He still lives in that mostly vowel state under protest from half of the voices in his head. The other half could care less where they reside, because they are too busy yammering on endlessly about everything from Sit-Com theme songs to theology and metaphysics.

Articl
More about Nick Shamhart...

The Balance (4 books)