Start by marking “How to Disgrace a Lady” as Want to Read:
How to Disgrace a Lady

How to Disgrace a Lady (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Merrick's season of outrageous scandal has taken a challenging turn. Caught in a—far less than usually—compromising situation with Lady Alixe Burke, this so-called gentleman is tasked by her father with making his daughter marriageable!

Lady Alixe, more happy in the library than the ballroom, is most definitely left-on-the-shelf material. He'll never walk away from a wager,
Published August 21st 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Disgrace a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Disgrace a Lady

Susan
Fun book. Merrick was at the house party to escape some of his more scandalous behavior. Then he was caught with Alixe, thought it wasn't quite compromising enough to force marriage. Alixe's father required that Merrick simply pay enough attention to her to make her more interesting to more suitable men. Alixe has purposely made herself unappealing. She is much happier doing her historical research and translating and has no interest in being some man's trophy. She isn't happy about her father's ...more
Jenna Anderson
A Miss for Me

I read a lot of Harlequin books – everything from the Love Inspired books to the Desire titles. I like them all. Unfortunately this offering had one main flaw I couldn’t get over.

Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin for the review copy of this book.

How to Disgrace a Lady contained a single issue that I couldn’t get past – Merrick, the main male character of the story. He is not a likeable character. His behavior, the way he treats women (for sex and money), and his attitude were quite
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: August 21, 2012
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: Unlikeable Hero
Favorite Tropes: Forced Marriage, Affair Turns To Love

We’ve all read books about a promiscuous hero who meets an outspoken heroine and finds himself smitten w
GONZA
When i said I like alpha-male I didn't imply that all of them have to be assholes. I didn't appreciate this book so much as i could because the "hero" was insufferable in my opinion, and even if the plot and writing were good I couldn't move over my dislike for Merrick.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HARLEQUIN FOR THE PREVIEW
Melody May
Review appears on http://sillymelody.blogspot.com

Today's selection is How to Disgrace a Lady by Bronwyn Scott. Which this is from the Rakes Beyond Redemption miniseries from Harlequin.

What's the story is about:

Merrick St. Magnus, the second son of the Marquis of Crewe. Gotta love second sons, nothing but wastrels who love to gamble and sleep around. After all they are entitled to do, there just the spare.

Lady Alixe Burke, the daughter of the Earl of Folkestone. A self-proclaim bookworm, who be
Émeraude

Revisão em português!

Fantástico!! A muito tempo eu esperava um romance de época inteligente como esse. Há tantas coisas que gostei aqui que nem sei o que mencionar!

Um dos casais protagonistas de histórico mais inteligentes e carismáticos que já vi! eu me vi tão envolvida com Alixe e Merrick que já me sentia quase da família. Suas habilidades intelectuais me chamaram muito a atenção e seus flertes eram tão espirituosos e fofos *-*. E teve de tudo nessa história: drama, amor, inteligência, sarcasm
Daisy
Despite the fact that I seriously dislike the cover of this book, I still read it because the premise sounded interesting. And it was! I mean, a rake being forced to make a girl marriage material? Sounds like She's All That historical romance style!

Unfortunately, it didn't have all the amazing tension She's All That had for me (I'm a sap, ok? I love that movie). Our rake realized pretty soon that he was falling for the lady in question and she reciprocated, thereby not making for jealous moments
Sandy M
Get ready for some fun in this book. Merrick St. Magnus is a total rake, no redemption in sight. Until he meets Alixe Burke, but even then he resists the happiness that could be his for the taking, despite the last few obstacles that stand in his way. For once in his life, Merrick wants redemption. The question is, will he fight for it?

Having his fun of the season curtailed by the imminent arrival of his father, Merrick leaves the Greenfield twins in his bed to hie off to a friend’s garden party
Jaclyn
How to Disgrace a Lady is a historical romance where we get the quiet bluestocking paired with the unrepentant rake – generally, one of my favourite plot lines for historical romance. While I did enjoy this novel, there were some issues that I had with it. First, I found the pacing a little bit awkward. The beginning started out strong; however, when Merrick started giving Alixe “love lessons” the plot seemed to slow quite a bit. And at the end there seemed to be an over abundance of drama that, ...more
Pam
Merrick St Magnus is the second son of a Marques and he takes his position in life seriously, that is he enjoys being as scandalous as possible. When he finds out his father is coming to town to make some changes in his life, Merrick immediately looks through his mail and accepts the Earl of Folkestone's invitation to a house party. A two week stay in Kent, well away from his father sounds perfect. Merrick knows the Earl's son Jamie, as they went to Oxford together.

Although Merrick has never use
Farrah
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Wonderful! I loved every bit of it! How to Disgrace a Lady was a sweet romance that any lover of historical romance will enjoy.

Lady Alixe is 26 years old and want to remain a spinster. Unfortunately, things don't go her way. But, despite it all, Alixe remained a lovely character. She held her own against Merrick. She knew when to fight and when to accept her losses. I have to say, she was a fun character. She's very c
Caz
I don't know if it's because I'm tired or because I've read a humungous amount of HR lately, but this one didn't hit the spot for me. Oh, it was decent enough; the hero was ridiculously gorgeous and the heroine was, underneath her deliberately dowdy dresses, lovely, too. Merrick St. Magnus (where do they get these names from?!) is a first class rake who, at the beginning of the story is about to get it on with twins! *ahem*

He's also convinced that he can't love - his father's a cold-hearted sort
Cris
Achei a historia divertida, acima de tudo.
Merrick começa o livro com um tremendo safado, que assusta as mocinhas indefesas com o seu "traje de Adão". A pobre Alixe, claro, fica chocada com tal "vestimenta" imprópria e sai correndo o mais que suas pernas permitem!
Os dois se reencontram em uma festa e o mocinho acha interessante provocar a pobre solteirona, afinal ele não tem melhor o que fazer...
Alixe, apesar de chocada, também fica encantada pelo safado e quando os dois são pegos em uma situação
Tasmia
Rousing entertainment, with more depth than I've usually found in recent Harlequin Historicals. Fun, punchy writing and some very appealing character moments. However, the overall tone and pacing clearly suffer from the restriction of the HH format. Also, though I enjoyed the romance, both leads grated on me throughout the story - the hero for his too fast and hollow-seeming transformation, the heroine for obtuseness and immaturity at odd variance with her supposed age and personality. I also di ...more
John
A solid 4-Star kind of historical read for me. The usage of French vernacular got to be a bit overdone in some places, and the writing tended towards the introspective, but there was something about it that felt tonally accurate. It's rare that I read a historical romance and think that - even if I enjoy it at a 5-Star level. The heroine and hero had delightful chemistry that blended humor and passion. What impressed me was that it didn't feel like it had to resort to basic tropes in order to gi ...more
Kelly
Another lovely regency novel. This was a good read with an enjoyable but predictable plot. Enjoyable but predictable characters.... to get the higher ratings I like a special something to distinguish all these samey regency novels, though they're nice, they don't offer this spark.
Graciela Cervantes aguilar
El libro es muy entretenido, aunque le falto algo mas de conexión a los protagonistas.
Calisto
Sep 17, 2012 Calisto added it
Shelves: netgalley, meh
My problems with this story started in chapter one which is all about the hero who comes off as a spoiled and rather mean spirited frat boy. Not a good combination for a hero. By the time we meet the heroine in chapter two, I was rather uninterested and exhausted by the large blocks of expository text. For a blue stocking heroine (I hate them since they usually come off as shrilly Mary Sues), Alexi wasn't bad, but, for a twenty-six year old, her naivety about what was expected of her due to her ...more
Cferjani
Merrick and Alixe
Elizabeth
This is my first Bronwyn Scott novel, but it will not be my last. I enjoyed her take on the roguish "hero", which was not quite the usual, as well as the wallflower turned "toast of the ton" tale. For fans of historical romance, this quick read is best enjoyed with a cup of your favorite hot beverage and a bonbon (or ten). The bonbons will only add to the fun of the splash of melodrama towards the end. A pleasant afternoon's read, all in all. Happy reading!
T.L. Morganfield
I couldn't think of anything I didn't enjoy about this book. The writing was really good, the characters interesting, and even the rake had my sympathies (something I wouldn't have expected, given my growly disposition about men who flit about from woman to woman). I particularly enjoyed the regency setting, so I'll be looking for more regency romance in the future. I'll also look into picking up the other two books in this series as well.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Rakes Beyond Redemption
Category: Historical Romance

"Book one of Scott's new, deliciously sinful Rakes Beyond Redemption trilogy is riveting, enthralling and humorous. It's the story of a bluestocking Cinderella and the rogue who plays her unlikely fairy godmother. Regency fans will grin with glee at the witty characters, outrageous shenanigans and endless adventures." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars
Carrie
This was a great start to a new trio by Brownyn Scott. Alixe and Merrick were well suited and their struggle to be together was believable and enjoyable- especially since they didn't know right away that they were made for each other! I adored Alixe as a heroine: intelligent, funny, out of the ordinary for her time and among regencies. A very colorful heroine and Merrick was deliciously wicked! Highly recommended!
Countess Of
I really enjoyed this book despite it being a little dramatic at the end and a little slow in the middle. The hero is wonderfully rakish and the heroine innocent but willing to give it a go! I loved the unique scenes (espesh the coming out of the lake naked scene!). Was sexy and fun. Hero's redemption was a trifle unbelievable but - hey - this aint no reality show.
Aldy
Era una buena idea y muchas cosas del libro me gustaron como (view spoiler) pero todo era muy rápido y el conflicto se soluciona en 1 carilla, eso le quita la diversión, porque a lo bueno se lo trata brevemente pero a lo aburrido le dedica 200 pags!
Gail Thompson
An enjoyable quick read. I do sometimes like to escape into a good oldfashioned romance. I especially like the ones like this where the female characters are not all helpless ninnies fainting and needing to be rescued. This female has guts and brains, just the way I like them.
Usiusiusi
Book of the month? Maybe because they thought no one would buy it?

The hero is an alpha male asshole and the heroine loves it. D'oh! Not my taste. Besides it is boooooring like hell. Nothing ever happens beside the heroine swooning about treated like a bed warmer.
Bethany
I felt the beginning of the book and the plot line were good in the beginning, but by the middle the characters lost their personalities. The pacing felt like a short story.
Carito Cárdenas guevara
demasiado bueno... he encontrado otra escritora que hace que uno se sienta en el libro, me encanta!
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Historical)
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Mills & Boon Historical)
  • An Escapade and An Engagement
  • The Last Cahill Cowboy (Cahill Cowboys, #4)
  • To Catch a Rogue
  • Lady with the Devil's Scar
  • Montana Bride
  • The Accidental Princess (Accidental, #3)
  • Outrageous Confessions of Lady Deborah
  • Haunted by the Earl's Touch
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2)
  • Western Winter Wedding Bells
  • Innocent Courtesan to Adventurer's Bride (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #3)
  • Born to Scandal
  • Defiant in the Viking's Bed (Victorious Vikings #3)

The Rakes Beyond Redemption (3 books)
  • How to Ruin a Reputation
  • How to Sin Successfully
The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2) Notorious Rake, Innocent Lady (Ramsden Brothers, #1) Pickpocket Countess How to Ruin a Reputation The Viscount Claims His Bride