Start by marking “Standing Guard” as Want to Read:
Standing Guard

Standing Guard (The Defenders #3)

A scared widow and her defenseless son have former marine Thad Pearson on red alert. Someone is systematically wrecking Lindy Southerland's life. First her house. Then her bank account. And unless the thug gets what he wants, her child will be targeted next. The woman jumps at every shadow, but refuses to go to the police. Why? With Thad's every protective instinct in ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Standing Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing Guard

Valerie Hansen
Jun 06, 2012 Valerie Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is the third about CASA and the Ozarks. The first, NIGHTWATCH, from Oct. 2011, won first prize in the New England Readers' Choice contest and placed in several others. THREAT OF DARKNESS, the second book, got 4 1/2 star reviews from Romantic Times magazine. I have high hopes for STANDING GUARD.
Pam
Aug 24, 2015 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-challenge
This book was alright. Not exactly the kid of book I really like but the story was nice and the Hero really sweet. The heroine was a little weak but that is just a preference in characterization.
Lisa Phillips
Aug 14, 2012 Lisa Phillips rated it really liked it
At the outset, this is your standard damsel-with-child in distress who needs protecting from bad guys by the standard male- an ex-marine with PTSD. Then when you're plodding along, thinking you know how it's going to go, all of a sudden it's like KA-POW!! (spoiler alert) Then planes are crashing, people are swimming for their lives, someone's having a fight on a wing, and we're realizing that government agents were doing bad things along with two different lots of guys from Lindy's dead ...more
Michelle
Jan 29, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
I was so happy to see that rough and tough thad pearson (a supporting character in "Nightwatch") received his own story! Thad is now a Sunday School teacher recovering from PTSD (what kept him from adopting his niece and nephews) and has found himself in the middle of another mystery. This one is built on the second book (Threat of Darkness), so I suggest reading this series in order. Unlike her Love Inspired Serenity books, these books are actually related.

Lindy Sotherland played a big part in
Barbara
This begins out as the standard damsel in distress story, with the widow of a disgraced banker (suspected of embezzlement) dealing with various problems including lack of funding when her back account is closed and her home is burglarized. She attracts the attention of former Marine Thad Pearson, who hires her as his personal assistant. He's surprised when she refuses to go to the police with her issues, but respects her decision.

It's actually nice to see two somewhat damaged people, Lindy and
Judine
Aug 08, 2012 Judine rated it it was amazing
This is a good mystery romance, especially since Thad and Lindy's relationship grows over the course of several weeks rather than several days. Lindy's son Danny is a vital part of the storyline, but the author doesn't let him take center stage more than is necessary. While both Lindy and Thad have past trauma to deal with, it doesn't prevent them from trying to do the right thing. The only qualm I had about the book was the sheer number of "bad guys" who were after Lindy, but it was handled ...more
June
Nov 23, 2012 June rated it really liked it
Valerie Hansen has done another awesome job on another awesome Serendipity, Arkansas book. I love these books and all the old characters that pop up. This one is about Lindy who's life is suddenly full of havoc and chaos. And no idea why. Step in hero Thad who feels the need to help her figure out who is out to get her and soon finds himself in love with her. Very good story and I couldn't put it down until I was done.
Judith
Oct 06, 2013 Judith rated it liked it
This begins out as the standard damsel in distress story, with the widow of a disgraced banker (suspected of embezzlement) dealing with various problems including lack of funding. When her bank account is closed and her home is burglarized. She attracts the attention of former Marine Thad Pearson, who hires her as his personal assistant.

It's nice to see two somewhat damaged people, Lindy and Thad, come together despite their differences.
Jill
Aug 16, 2012 Jill rated it liked it
This took awhile to figure out the bad guy! You know the ending of the Love Inspired Suspense books will be good, you just sometimes can't figure out how that ending can/will happen.

When I am not busy I can read several of these in a day.
Nina
Nov 14, 2012 Nina rated it it was amazing
love this book, I know that any time I get a book by Valerie Hansen, it will have loads of action and suspense! Great read!
Amanda
Jun 19, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
This book had a ton of twists and turns. The ending was a bit predictable, but it was a fun read nonetheless.
Melenia Gibson
Dec 26, 2012 Melenia Gibson rated it liked it
Finished reading "Standing Guard" by Valerie Hansen :) Good book, although a little to complicated and twisted for my liking.
Tammy
Tammy rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Karrie
Karrie rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
DENNIS COATES
DENNIS COATES rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Leann Olson
Leann Olson rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Shirley
Shirley rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
Bekah
Bekah rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Debcoats
Debcoats rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
David Tabachnick
David Tabachnick rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Jen  Kennington
Jen Kennington rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was ok
May 19, 2013
Juanita Haden
Juanita Haden rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Talisha
Talisha rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Cherry-Ann
Cherry-Ann rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Beth - ;)
Beth - ;) rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 22, 2015 06:53PM
  • Navy SEAL Rescuer (Heroes for Hire, #7)
  • Murder at Granite Falls (Big Sky Series, #4)
  • The Missing Monarch (Reclaiming the Crown #4)
  • Point Blank Protector (Emerald Coast 911 #5)
  • Ricochet
  • Daughter of Texas (Texas Ranger Justice, #1)
  • High-Stakes Inheritance (The Morgan Brothers #1)
  • Vanishing Act
  • Trail of Lies (Texas Ranger Justice, #4)
  • Formula for Danger (Sonoma, #2)
  • The Diamond Secret
  • Point of No Return (Missions of Mercy, #1)
  • Survive the Night (Lost-Inc., #1)
  • Lost Legacy (Treasure Seekers #1)
  • The Black Sheep's Redemption (Fitzgerald Bay #5)
Valerie Hansen is the pen name of Valerie Whisenand.

Although I have been a published author since the mid 1980s, I have been writing women's Christian fiction almost exclusively since 1999.

There is a longer, more detailed bio on my website so there's no need for me to repea
More about Valerie Hansen...

The Defenders (5 books)