Run the Risk (Love Undercover, #1)

Run the Risk (Love Undercover #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  3,965 ratings  ·  394 reviews
When Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find Pepper Yates, a potential link to his best friend’s unsolved murder, he vows to gain her cooperation by any means necessary. But the elusive beauty is more suspicious—and in far more danger—than he expected. And the last thing Logan needs is to start caring for her…

Pepper has spent years dodging the corrupt club owner who...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Harlequin HQN (first published January 1st 2012)

Back-Up by A.M. MaddenLife's A Cappella by Yessi SmithFighting For You by Sydney LandonRise of the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloNight Owl by M. Pierce
OMC's Top Books of December 2013
62nd out of 380 books — 649 voters
Lover Reborn by J.R. WardThe Darkest Seduction by Gena ShowalterWicked Nights by Gena ShowalterTaking a Shot by Jaci BurtonSweet Addiction by Maya Banks
Erotica/Romance Novels of 2012
60th out of 258 books — 290 voters

More lists with this book...

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Having very much enjoyed Lori Foster’s Edge of Honor series, I embarked on this one full of expectations. She’s always written great romantic suspense novels with incredibly alpha heroes to die for and I was expecting more of the same here.

I have to say I was decidedly underwhelmed by the first half of the book to the point of almost giving up. EVERYONE is lying and hiding something and no one is who they seem and they’re not an easy bunch to like.

Basic synopsis – Pepper and Rowdy Yates are hidi...more
Dee
I loved Lori's last series (Men Who Walk The Edge of Honor)and was sad when it came to an end but she promised us a fantastic series that we would love just as much...so was she wrong?....NO she wasn't!! Although this is a seperate series it carries on with the same theme of drug smuggling and trafficking of young women.

Normally with a big build up of a book we are often left disappointed but I sure wasn't! Within the first few chapters I was gripped and loving the story and instantly loved the...more
Shawna
2 ½ stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

I’m a fan of LF’s Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series and had high hopes for her new series, but this first installment was sadly disappointing. I didn’t feel any connection between the H/h other than lust, and their HEA was whiplash fast and trite. The suspense part of the story was rather dull and definitely didn’t make up for the inadequate romance. Overall, this was a lackluster read that I’m really glad I got free from the library. Despite...more
KatLynne
Detective Logan Riske is working undercover searching for the man whom he believes was an eye witness to the murder of his best friend. In order to find the elusive Rowdy Yates, he sets himself up as a construction worker and neighbor to Rowdy’s sister, Pepper. Believing she will be the link to lead him to her brother, he is ruthless in his pursuit and will go to any lengths necessary to obtain the information.

Pepper Yates is hiding secrets. For years she’s been dodging the corrupt club owner wh...more
MsRomanticReads

How do you catch a killer when the only witness is on the run and can't be found? Answer: you go undercover and try to get close to the witness' sister.
Two years ago, Detective Logan Riske's best friend was murdered. With no evidence and no witnesses, the culprit is still roaming free, but Logan wants justice and revenge. When he learns that the witness Rowdy Yates has a sister safely tucked away away, posing as an apartment building manager, he decides to go undercover as a construction worker...more
Lisa Kay

★★★★✩ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I haven’t been a big fan of Jim Frangione's narration in the past; I think it is his cadence. Nevertheless, I love this author, so I gave him another try. He does a nice enough job here; not a lot of differentiation, and with his deep voice, it is hard for him to do the women. I will probably go on with the series on audio, so he wasn't awful.

I have always called Lori Foster my “Iron Woman.” She doesn't receive many five stars from me; but then she rar...more
Elizabeth (Liz)
Believing that Pepper Yates possibly has information regarding the murder of his best friend, Detective Logan Riske goes undercover in order to get close to her. He is determined to do whatever is necessary to learn whatever she may know. However, he soon learns that she may be in real danger, and that he is beginning to care for her much more than he should.

After spending several years in hiding from the criminal club owner whose main goal is to keep Pepper from telling what she knows, Pepper r...more
Mariann {a.k.a. Belle's Book Bag}
I am a HUGE fan of Lori Foster. Men Who Walk The Edge Of Honor series, The Buckhorn Brothers series, and The Fighter series are some of my favorites. I was so excited to read that Lori was releasing the Love Undercover series. I couldn't wait to read. Lori writes some of the best Alpha heroes along with heroines that are their perfect fit.

I struggled through the first half of Run The Risk. Not because of the writing or the story, because I was definitely pulled into it from the beginning, but f...more
Holly
Lori Foster has hit another home run with this first in her up coming new series Love Undercover!!

Logan Riske and Pepper Yates live in a world where things are not always as they appear. Logan is an undercover cop heading the task force to bring down a notoriously bad guy, who incidentally murdered his best friend and he thinks that Pepper is his link to do just that. Logan, posing as a construction worker attempts to charm his neighbor Sue Meeks, who is actually Pepper in a rather amazing disgu...more
Fani

A well written but otherwise pretty run-of-the-mill romantic suspense that would have earned at least one extra star from me, had the heroine been more likable or dropped her pointless charade at trying to hide her apparently Pamela Anderson-like 'assets', sooner. Her speech about taking out Morton's men, was laughable to say the least, and shows her for the silly, ninja-wanna-be chick she trully is, rather than the strong, fearless woman she thinks herself as:
"She settled her purse in...more
Wanderlust
Cover & Title - 4 out of 5
Favorite Line - "Although, the way she'd just looked at him, sort of eye-raping him" & “Let me leave you my number. Anything comes up, or if anyone bothers you-" "You're bothering me.”
Favorite Character - Pepper

I was surprised by how much i enjoyed this book! It had a good amount of suspense & a sprinkle of humor too. I don't think i have read anything else by this author but if all her books are like this i will certainly check them out :)
I liked Pepper a l...more
Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict
3 1/2 - 4 Stars

I have been a huge Lori Foster fan for many years and several of her books are on my all time favorites shelf....she has so many great books just thinking of them makes me want to reread several right now!!!!!

This was good but not a favorite but I have extremely high hopes for Bare It All and Getting Rowdy.

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Dear Ms.Foster,

I have been a big fan of your writing for quite a while. Jude's Law is one of my favorite romance novels. A funny thing has happened though. After your first book in the Men of Honor series I've DNF'd three or four of your books so far.

Why? Well, I can tell you why this one has been sitting unfinished like a sad puppy on my dresser since its release day.

1.) Pepper Yates. For some reason I could not stand Pepper. I understood why she was waffling and that she had a secret that ha...more
Trish
4.5 Stars
ARC copy provided by Net Galley

I have been in love with Lori's stories since picking up Simon Says (Fighter Series, Book Two) and she is an auto-buy for me. She writes how I wish I could-with passion, emotion, flavor, pizazz, and humor. LOVE LOVE LOVE HER...

So when I saw that she was starting another series, I cried for joy. After finishing her latest series, Men Who Walk The Edge of Honor, I have been pacing restlessly for more of her books. Honestly, I haven't come across a Foster n...more
Kat (idangerous)
Nov 19, 2012 Kat (idangerous) rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Lori Foster Fans and people who like Contemporary romance novels
6/3/12- *drools* o.o look at the man candy on the cover! makes me think of Erik in True Blood. *drools some more*

*Updated* 11/12/12

OMG!! LORI I LOVE YOU!! I really loved Logan in this! Then the surprise twist of his love interest! Dang! I didn't see that coming! I figured it was a jealous ex or something but nope! Then Reese, Logan and him work together, totally genius luv! I'd recommend this book to any Lori Foster fan, and people who want a book that is greatly written and leaves you wanting t...more
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Second half of this book kicks ass. First book in a series isnt always the best. I struggled the first 11 chapters or so but after that I fell in love with all the characters. And we do get great glimpses into all the characters that will be getting there own books in the future.

(I can honestly say its a 4 way tie on which guy I like the most)
Lisa
This is book 1 in Lori Foster's brand new heavily anticipated series Love Undercover! I was really excited to get the chance to read and review it. I loved her Men who Walk the Edge of Honor series so i was hoping that this series would be just as good. Logan Risk is trying to worm his way into Pepper Yates life in the hopes of finding her brother who he thinks is the key to finding out who murdered his friend 2 years ago. He won't take no for a answer in his many attempts to get her to let him...more
Loved this book! Obviously, we will get books for Reese and Rowdy, but I'm kind of hoping for a couple more HEAs from characters that we meet along the way.

Detective Logan Fiske is on the case. He's undercover looking to solve a the mystery of who killed his best friend. The lone eyewitness, Rowdy Yates, has disappeared with his sister. In an effort to draw Rowdy out and get to the bottom of what really happened, Logan finds Rowdy's sister while she's in hiding. He makes it his mission to do wha...more
Darcy
I am torn with this book. I didn’t really like the Pepper/Sue at the start of the book. You knew she was hiding something, her whole attraction/sex with Logan with clothes on drove me nuts. I also didn’t care for the Logan at the start of the book. I know that when working under cover the police act in ways out of their character. For me, Logan crossed a line when he had sex with Pepper, which is why I had a hard time liking him.

After the truth started coming out I was surprised by the change i...more
Alisia
Written for : Beyond Reading

(Most unfortunately, my italics were lost in transit)

Run the Risk was a thrilling read with that oh-so loved edge of mystery. The characters were all written almost precisely. Pepper was exactly what I expected and everything I didn't - I won't spoil that one. Even with her initial plain-Jane, mousy looks, she and Logan could barely keep their hands off of each other - talk about chemistry. Logan, I also loved, right from the beginning. Even despite the less-than-ide...more
Naomi
Pepper Yates is living in an apartment alone & using the alias Sue Meeks. Her hot new neighbour Logan (undercover cop) strikes up a friendship with her as a way to get to her brother Rowdy for questioning about his best friend's murder. Pepper & Logan soon become friends with benefits & they both start developing feelings which go beyond friendship. As the story progresses there is betrayal, murder etc which makes for an exciting read with a fantastic ending.

I really enjoyed Run the...more
Susan
Good book. It started out a bit slow for me, as the previous series books seemed to jump right into the action. Pepper is hiding out as manager of an apartment building, trying to stay safe from the man who wants her dead. She has disguised her looks and mannerisms and is pretty darn dull. When Logan moves in and starts trying to hit on her, she is really confused but definitely attracted. Logan is undercover trying to get close to her so that he can catch her brother. He is determined to do wha...more
Lexi
I received this as an ARC from NetGalley.

Run the Risk is a book full of romance, intrigue and action. Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to bring down the slimy, but well-connected Morton Andrews the man who is responsible for the murder of Jack Carmin, a friend of his. Morton owned a local club called Checkers and had plenty of cops on the take and looking the other way as he conducted his illegal activities. After Jack’s murder, a man named Rowdy Yates who worked as a bouncer at Checkers ga...more
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
Another new romance series from Lori Foster...I am SOOOO excited!! If the first book of the series is any indication of what is to come..well, let me just say...BRING THEM ON!!

You will be completely enraptured in the story from page one and will be begging for more. I couldn't get enough of the sizzling attraction between Logan and Pepper...can you say "Cold Shower Needed". The plot is original, the characters are spunky, tough and very sexy and Lori keeps you in suspense until the very end, who...more
Jennifer★Pher★
I think I did a status update around the 35% mark, I think I was pretty bored, nothing was happening, nothing was making sense and I thought I didn’t care. Well then, once it moved, it moved. I ended up really enjoying the story and the suspense. The undercover aspect was everywhere in the book, threaded through and I loved it. This book was really hot, perfect really. I have been looking for a romantic suspense with more than fade to black love scenes and this was nicely done. I am definitely r...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Run The Risk is the first in the new romantic suspense series Love Undercover by Lori Foster. Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find a key witness in the murder of a friend of his. That leads him next door to Pepper Yates, the witness' sister.

While no real surprises, I still enjoyed it. The focus was more on the romance of Logan and Pepper but we got glimpses into the lives of the other characters who will be having their stories told. Ms Foster has always been a favorite author and she...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Read this review in its entirety at Fresh Fiction

Lori Foster creates an interesting dynamic in RUN THE RISK, the first book of a new series. Taking deception, mystery and suspense to a whole other level, Foster shows readers just how revealing true love can be.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Just WOW. I LOVED this one, and it's easily one of my favorite Lori Foster books.

While there were a few things that bugged me, overall, I really enjoyed it.

4.5/5 Stars, full review to follow.
Jenn Scranton
This had a lot of suspense and unexpected plot twists. It was gripping. It was well-written. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.

I hated Logan.

He was an ass!!!

Let me break it down for you: He was going to use her for his own gain, and enjoy using him to every capacity... He repeatedly made comments on how our girl was eh, ok looking. Not much, but ok enough for him to have sex with... Well, isn't that charming?!?

It gets worse. He realizes that she was obviously traumatized by her past as he is still usi...more
Tammy
Loved Logan from the beginning and can't wait to read about Rowdy, Reece, and Dash.
  • The Night Is Mine (The Night Stalkers, #1)
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
  • Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1)
  • Shades of Temptation (SIG, #2)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Rev It Up (Black Knights Inc., #3)
  • Hush (Lodestone Trilogy, #1)
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • The Heart of a Killer (The Killer, #1)
  • In the Air Tonight (Shadow Force, #3)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
Since first publishing in January 1996, Lori Foster has become a Waldenbooks, Borders, USA Today, Publisher’s Weekly and New York Times bestselling author. Lori has published through a variety of houses, including Kensington, St. Martin’s, Harlequin, Silhouette and Samhain. She is currently with Berkley/Jove.

Lori believes it’s important to give back to the community as much as possible, and for th...more
More about Lori Foster...
When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1) Savor the Danger (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #3) Trace of Fever (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #2) A Perfect Storm (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #4) Causing Havoc (SBC Fighters, #1)

“Let me leave you my number. Anything comes up, or if anyone bothers you-"

"You're bothering me.”