Start by marking “Cast in Peril (Chronicles of Elantra, #8)” as Want to Read:
Cast in Peril (Chronicles of Elantra, #8)

Cast in Peril (Chronicles of Elantra #8)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  3,961 ratings  ·  234 reviews
It has been a busy few weeks for Private Kaylin Neva. In between angling for a promotion, sharing her room with the last living female Dragon and dealing with more refugees than anyone knew what to do with, the unusual egg she'd been given was ready to hatch. Actually, that turned out to be lucky, because it absorbed the energy from the bomb that went off in her quarters.. ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Harlequin Luna

To ask other readers questions about Cast in Peril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast in Peril

Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
160th out of 621 books — 1,788 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
424th out of 2,495 books — 15,913 voters

More lists with this book...

Arrgh. This book, in a way, was very frustrating. I can understand why it was a difficult one to write, and given the nice little progress bar kindle offers I was forewarned, but still:
This is only half of the story. We have a beginning, we have a journey, but we have no end. Grrr. That is very, very frustrating, because I just know I'll have to wait another year for the completion of that story.
It's not a cliffhanger, in that sense, but frustrating nonetheless.

All that said, I really enjoyed it

*ARC provided by Harlequin via Netgalley

My rating: 4/5 stars
First line:“The worst thing about having a roommate, in Kaylin’s opinion – and admittedly after only two weeks – was morning.”
Favourite quote: I will always love you. Had it been a lie? Yes. There was no always for mortals. All their forevers were planted in memory; it was the only place strong enough to shelter them.”
Song of choice: Breath of Life by Florence and the Machine

In each book of the series, the mystery is focused on one rac
C.E. Murphy
Aaaaah, questions are starting to get answers in Kaylin's world! I WANT MORE ANSWERS NOW NOW NOW NOW N--

Good stuff, really. I love Kaylin and the Elantran world Michelle's built, and the deepening complexities of Kaylin's relationships are splendid. Also, there is so much doom on the horizon I just want to squeak. :)
Katy Holder

I’ve followed Kaylin since the very first book in the series Cast in Shadow. I have read and re-read every word so many times that her tale has become intertwined with my own. I worried when I’d heard Michelle Sagara had to split the intended adventure into two books; how would I survive not knowing the entire story? It wasn’t a problem. I refuse to include spoilers but I will say that this book is the finest of the series so far. It encompasses Kaylin in her entirety, not just want the reader (
Hannah Cobb
Saving the world always seems to land Kaylin in deeper trouble. After the adventures in Elantra #7 (Cast In Ruin), Kaylin has acquired the only surviving female dragon as a roommate--and embarked on the highly unpleasant lessons in etiquette that came with the dragon. Kaylin is so busy with her usual work--and the large, mysterious egg she rescued, which has take to changing color--that she is more than usually annoyed when sometimes-benefactor, sometimes-enemy Nightshade manipulates her into le ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This book is different from the others in that Kaylin and Severn are on a road trip with the Barani High Court. There are many evil forces at work, trying to stop them from reaching their destination. In fact, by the end of the book they haven't even reach their destination but they've had a pretty interesting journey. Teela, Nightshade, the Consort, and the new 'Kaylin companion' just add to the excitement.

I thought the concept of the Hallione was fantastic and can envision a fu
May 20, 2013 Estara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Recommended to Estara by: one of my top comfort read authors with the newest in an auto-buy series
Anne Osterlund
Kaylin has a knack for surviving dangerous situations. But even she can’t take the credit for the fact that she isn’t blown to smithereens by the bomb that explodes in her apartment. No, that particular miracle is due to the small transparent dragon that hatches, in the midst of the bombing, from Kaylin’s egg.

OK, the egg isn’t exactly hers and the dragon isn’t exactly a dragon. But nonetheless, Kaylin is alive. Though between the investigation of the exchequer, the machinations of an outcast lor
Jessie Potts
What it's about: This is the eighth in the Chronicles of Elantra, and I highly recommend you read the first one before jumping into this book. Kaylin Neva is dealing with quite a bit on her plate. She's rooming with the last living female Dragon, and has been overrun with refugees. Humans are disappearing from different fiefs in alarming numbers. To obtain information, something must be traded … that something is eight weeks of Kaylin's time as she journeys to the Barrani High Court.

Why you shou
The stories in this series are a wonderful melding of magic and politics involving fantastical and exotic beings. The creativity and imagination that keeps building on a society that contains both dragon beings and various other predators who can shift their shapes continues to provide an exciting and unpredictable read. The complex rules and relationships attendant with the multiple races who populate this well-built world give texture and depth to a read that will delight both young adult and ...more
Sep 19, 2012 Nafiza rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
When I found out at the end of the last novel that Kaylin would be going on a journey with Nightshade, I was happy because I felt that Nightshade would finally get the page time he so richly deserves. I really didn’t expect the novel to turn out as it ultimately does. I really didn’t.

This is not to imply Cast in Peril was bad. Not in the least. The novel delivers on action, further development in some characters and deepening the mystery about the marks found on Kaylin’s body. It just doesn’t de
Scooper Speaks
Favorite Lines: “Kitling, I don’t know what hopes you have for Lord Nightshade, but hope, among our kin, is not a double-edged blade. It is single edged, and the edge always wounds. Always. He is not mortal. He does not value what you value…He is what he is, Kaylin. Accept that; you will find the Barrani less daunting. He is not mortal and his concerns are not mortal concerns.” (p. 118-119, e-galley)

Yes, it’s that time again. Michelle Sagara has written book eight in her Chronicles of Elantra se
Kaylin gets out of the city! Due to political machinations (see previous book), she is required to attend a tedious Barrani ceremony way off in the West March. When I say "tedious", I am applying massive sarcasm. We already know (see earlier books) that Barrani ceremonies involve (a) Barrani plotting to kill each other (b) possible extinction-level disasters. This remains true.

In this volume, we are reminded that the Barrani are really not human. Barrani architecture is also not human, but it *i
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Cast in Peril starts up right after the ending of Cast in Ruins. Kaylin's life does not take a break. Her lovely roommate is still happily living with her. Bellusdeo is determined to stay with Kaylin. This abruptly ends when Kaylin's home is blown up. Not believing it could get worse, Kaylin is proven wrong. The only bright side is the answer to the egg she's been protecting.

Crime does not cease, the now homeless Kaylin still continues to work on cases. Kaylin and Severn are partnered together a
I like this series a lot, and I liked this book a bit more than I had liked some of the previous books in the series... however I keep feeling like nothing gets a satisfying conclusion. Maybe part of it is that the author wants you to continue reading but I would like at least some things settled by book 8. But I guess for this series that is wishful thinking. Perhaps better luck with book 9.
I am absurdly fond of the Chronicles of Elantra series for some reason, even if I think that personal growth and the character plot on the part of Kaylin goes about the same speed as molasses spreading out on a horizontal table. In the middle of winter. Don't get me wrong. She has changed since the first book until now, but so much hasn't that it's a bit disappointing in that regard. On the plus side (view spoiler) ...more
This is the eighth book in the Chronicles of Elantra series by Michelle Sagara. Slower paced than the first seven books, I still loved it. And I hated it too. Mainly because this books seems to have been written as a one large book that the publisher, Harlequin Luna, split into two books. As a result the action stops right in the middle with no wrap up of two distinct storylines. We have to wait until the next Chronicles of Elantra book (#9) to find out what happens! If I had known that, I would ...more

CAST IN PERIL is the 8th installment in the Chronicles of Elantra series. We have met many characters and witnessed many events. I would not recommend starting the series from anywhere but book 1.

With CAST IN PERIL being book 8 I'm not going to go into to much background detail but will leave this review with my main thoughts. There is a lot of over explaining. I felt myself drifting off sometimes with the excessiveness of it. I know Kaylin had really rough teen years and some horrible things h
Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra is one of my favourite fantasy series. It's this neat hybrid of high fantasy and urban fantasy and I've been in love with this author's world and characters since I read the first page of CAST IN SHADOW a few years ago. If you want the scoop on the overall series, I suggest you check out my Daring You To Read... post from November. But in case you don't want to click over, here's the (really) short version from the author's website:

These [books] follow the
Paige Ellen Stone
This book is so good on so many levels that it is difficult to write a review that honors Michelle Sagara's talent and love for what she does. She is, in the truest sense of the word, a story teller and the Chronicles of Elantra a most magnificent story, which, in my opinion, takes a place in the top ten grand stories in this genre.
I'm not going to go into detail about the plot other than to say it has evil, greed, and lust for power. The villain goes about his/her business in a manner most nefa
Its been sometime since I have been this invested in a series. I’m usually a little wary of starting a series when it is already about 8 books down and in part I started reading it because I thought that the 9th book would probably be the last in the series, but having read the rest of them, I don’t think that’s very likely. But I am very glad I did because it is one of the most intense series I’ve read in a while, very well written and the world and the characters in it are so well conceived.

Kaylin, Kaylin, Kaylin. What’s a girl to do with a roommate? Especially one of the dragon variety? In her teeny tiny little apartment, to boot? Then again, it’s not like she has to worry for too long – somebody blows up that teeny tiny little apartment, into teeny tiny little smithereens. And Kaylin now has quarters at the Imperial Palace.

Kinda scary, really, when you think about it. I mean, she’s still taking etiquette lessons, after all… Who knows what could happen if she runs into the Emperor
Terri Dawn
Jo Oehrlein
Arrgh! I've finished all available Elantra books and this one left me completely in the middle of the story! SO much of the story is about the recounting in the West March, but the story stops just before people step into the West March.

The transparent dragon-ling reminds me of Daine's glass dragon in the Immortals series by Tamora Pierce, but of course this one has magic. Does the fact that Kaylin's hatchling appears to be a familiar mean that she's a sorcerer? What do they mean that it has no
I love the gruff humor and breathless chaos that swirl around Private Kaylin Neyra on any given day. CAST IN RUIN left her in protective possession of a large, mysterious egg, and CAST IN PERIL opened with the answer I had been dying to know since then.

The Chronicles of Elantra are an interesting urban fantasy/fantasy hybrid. Sagara has created her own "urban" environment, as the city in which Kaylin lives serves as her whole world. Until CAST IN PERIL, that is, when it looks like obligations a
Eileen Troemel
Sagara is an excellent writer. Her work in this one is as good as her other books. Unfortunately, she fails the basic in this book. A story has a beginning, middle and an end. This book has a beginning and a middle but no end. It is repetitive and reads more like a character summary than a story - an excellent character summary. The usual characters aren't there and only the Barani are highlighted. While interesting to have an in depth look at the characters, after the same scene repeats but wit ...more
One could hope that as the series progressed, the world building would become less jumbled and confusing. Alas, no.

Fav quote
I hate being the only mortal in a gathering full of Immortals who think killing each other cleverly is the height of good manners.”
Lovely! Just lovely! Seeing Kaylin through the eyes of the consort, significantly improved my opinion of her and some of Kaylin's shortcomings now look somewhat adorable.
I am still a little (well, a lot :} ) angry at Nightshade. But now I am also curious about him and what awaits all of them when the regalia begins.
I LOVE Michelle Sagara's "Cast" series, but am not the hugest fan of how there ends up being more questions than answers. On one hand, it's fascinating and complex (and all sorts of awesome) but on the other hand, it can be extremely frustrating that you're left wanting answers that have been popping up in earlier books. I love the books that deal directly with the Barrani in this particular series, so it had that going for it, but you're left hanging. With MORE questions. Argh. (But will still ...more
Really liked this -- only problem it ends mid-trip! (Although it isn't technically a cliff-hanger -- so we aren't being tortured!) Cannot wait for the next one!

I like how Barrani are more fleshed out -- the difference in 'world view' between them & Kaylin/ humanity. Also clarifies a little of the Kaylin/Nightshade expectation -- you'll see early in the chapters that while she KNOWS what he does in his fief -- when she confronts him & he confirms it -- she's still somewhat shocked & d
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 20, 2015 01:10PM
Team West March anyone? 4 43 Dec 02, 2012 02:06PM
September 2012 scheduled release 1 29 Jun 03, 2012 07:26PM
  • House Name (The House War, #3)
  • Harvest Moon (Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5.5; Chronicles of Elantra, #0.5)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Children of the Blood (The Sundered, #2)
  • Elfhome (Elfhome, #3)
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)