Start by marking “Mark of the Witch (The Portal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mark of the Witch (The Portal, #1)

Mark of the Witch (The Portal #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  141 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Maggie Shayne comes the first novel in her thrilling new trilogy, THE PORTALShe was born to save what he is sworn to destroy...

A lapsed Wiccan, Indira Simon doesn't believe in magic anymore. But when strange dreams of being sacrificed to an ancient Babylonian god have her waking up with real rope burns on her wrists, she's forced to a
Published September 18th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mark of the Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark of the Witch

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
But then we began to move again in a rhythm as old as time, in a love almost as old, carrying each other to the closest place to paradise this side of heaven.

Love will always find a way, even if it has to wait for 3500 years...

I really enjoyed this book but I took out a star for the real slow beggining (the book actually picks up at 27%, I couldn't put it down after that point) and the abrupt ending. Yeah, there will be two more books, but I was hoping for this couple to settle completely! Don'
Maggie Shayne
Jul 02, 2012 Maggie Shayne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so proud of this book and the new Portal Series. I just read the galleys for this one, and I honestly feel it's one of the best books of my entire career. I hope everyone loves it as much as I do. It's so nice to get a chance to use my 18 year history in The Craft of the Wise in my fiction. If you want more info, excerpts, free trading cards, the video trailer, more, visit http://www.ThePortalBooks.com
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review [by LITERAL ADDICTION’s Pack Alpha – Michelle L Olson]:

I have been a fan of Maggie Shayne and her writing for quite some time. Her Wings in the Night series was my support system during a very rough patch of my life and after that I pretty much started to devour everything I could find.

When I heard about Maggies new PORTAL series I was ecstatic! A Wiccan High Priestess writing a Paranormal Romance about witches...truly, what could be better, right!? When Maggie sent me an Advance Re
Charity Costa
WOW!!!!! I don't think I can write a review to do this book justice it was absolutely amazing. It took me over so fast that I was lost for hours and refused to put it down.

First if you read Legacy of the Witch the prequel to this book you will know a little bit more than I did while reading this book. Legacy really sets up the world you are about to dive into.

I didn’t read Legacy first I received an ARC of Mark of the Witch from Maggie Shayne herself and read this first so while reading it I wa
Stephanie
FANGS, WANDS AND FAIRY DUST Open the Door to Maggie Shayne's New Portal Series

MARK OF THE WITCH
The Portal Series: Book I
by Maggie Shayne
Mass Market Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA (September 18, 2012)
Print Length: 400 pages
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA (October 1, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Loaned by publisher via NetGalley.com
No remuneration exchanged and unless otherwise noted, all opinions are my own.

Maggie Shayne is pulling out the stops on this new series with a
Michelle
I am a latecomer to Maggie Shayne's books and I must admit starting a 20 book series is a little daunting but I did and I am working my way through them. When I heard she was starting a new trilogy changing her focus from vampires to witches, I was intigued. Even more so when I discovered that Maggie herself is a Wiccan High Priestess. I went in to this book with high expectations and even then Maggie surprised me.

Indira is a multi-faceted character, she is a strong woman who has suffered a lot
C.L.
Just WOW! This book not only gives outsiders a rare and beautiful glimpse inside the amazing world of witchcraft (truly in fantastic and gorgeous detail), but it also makes you want to laugh with the wicked awesome heroine as she fights through her journey and wish you could personally know and support her. Vivid scenery, deep and emotional characters, powerful moments, and plot were all fantastic. The whole book left me guessing what was going to happen next (wishing it was possible for me to d ...more
Katie
Can someone tell me why there aren't more than 5 stars?

This book was so incredibly amazing I want to re-read already! Legacy of the Witch started the series off but WOW!!! This book....WOW! Maggie Shayne never disappoints!

Indira is an amazing character! She's strong and has a mind of her own. Tomas is a fantastic hero and am glad he can think for himself. Father Dom, well I just plain hated him.

Fantastic read and I'm so sad then next book isn't out until December!
Marie
Jul 06, 2012 Marie marked it as to-read
This is #1 on my list of upcoming books to read...By the time I finish a Maggie Shayne book, I feel as if the characters are all personal friends, and I hate saying goodbye! However, the anticipation of a new read makes it all worth it...
Pam
Another Maggie Shayne HIT!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

MARK OF THE WITCH is a clever and thought provoking journey of magical discovery, betrayal, and entwined destinies. I loved how Indira’s past life is slowly revealed through a dream of her sacrifice that becomes more detailed over the course of the story.

A part of her destiny involves Father Tomas, a man who struggles with his faith and uncovers some startling facts about his own life that are connected to Indira. It was a refreshing change of pace to h
Wendy

This is the first book in a new series, which I was excited to read. I wasn’t sure what to expect but let’s just say it was twist and turns throughout the journey.

Meet Indira “Indy”. She’s lost and trying to find out who she is, she has given up on her Wiccan roots or so she thinks. She has been having these dreams but they feel real and
When she asks for help from her former High Priestess Rayne she has to remember the past and the person Rayne feels can help might just do the opposite.

Father T
roxtao
Mark of the Witch approaches a new set of themes and ideas. Unlike other subjects, the ones promoted by Maggie Shayne weren’t covered very often in the fantasy literature. This is one of the reasons why I was curious to read this book. The novel displays the story of Indira, a former Wiccan witch. Because of some disappointing angles, a few years ago she stopped believing in magic and in the Wiccan religion basis. The book starts with a nightmare that haunts our heroine for a while and that star ...more
Tiffany
4.5 STARS

I received an eARC of this book for review from Harlequin MIRA via Netgalley.com

"I'm not sure of anything right now, Indy. Except what's between us. That's real."

I really liked this book. The concept is very original and interesting. The idea of reincarnation and past lives of witches and priests was quite unique. I have never read anything like this before. While being a paranormal romance, it also contains mystery, suspense and betrayal. The plot flowed really well and I loved the cha
Star
I received this book as a galley from NetGalley.

Having not read anything by Maggie Shayne, I wasn't sure what to expect. From what I've seen on Shayne's Goodreads profile, she's an accomplished author with many books under her belt. Mark of the Witch intrigued me due to the witchcraft angle. Although I'm not Wiccan, I've done my share of research on the religion and know enough about it to say this book was pretty accurate in it's descriptions and facts. I read somewhere the author is a Wiccan H
Christine
POV: Alternating, 1st person with Indira and 3rd person with Tomas.

This was an intense, action filled ride! I will be the first to admit that it took about 15% into the book for me to be hooked but once it happened I really didn't want to put it down. This is probably why it only took me a little of a day to finish it, despite it being 400 pages.

The story follows Indira who is a witch who has turned her back on her faith and religion. She has been having a recurring nightmare of being sacrificed
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Forgive me, readers, for I have sinned. I'm a little tiny bit in love with Father Tomas!

This was my first book by Maggie Shayne. She's a rather well-established author, however, so even though it was my first time reading her, I felt I was in safe hands hands.

Her writing style—at least in this instance—was quite interesting in that she switched from first person narrative for the heroine, Indira's, POV, and then to third person for the hero, Father Tomas'. That's 'Toe-MAAHS', not 'Thomas'. A di
Karla Bostic
Mark of the Witch.
Amazing book. Beginning of a series. Portal of the Witch.
I loved the story line, hard to put down the book. I have to admit this is the first book I have ever read with witchcraft in it. I was a bit apprehensive, but a friend told me I would love it, and she was so right. It opened my eyes to other beliefs and helped me to understand so much. I loved the characters, and what they had endured. Amazing back story that draws you in. I absolutely can’t wait to get my hands on the
Karen Fowler
From the very first line of this book (and what a line it was!) I was hooked. I had to know what the dreams meant, then I wanted to see where it was all going. Then I wanted to see what what going on with the Priests... oy.

Compelling paranormal read. You'll want to devour it in one sitting if possible. Underneath the story line, Mark of the Witch shed some light on the characters own internal struggles with beliefs and religion. It was nice to see alternative beliefs get their due as well. I li
Claire
First off I want to say that I did not finish this one. I got 60% the way through before admitting defeat, although I did read the last few pages just to see how it ended. Mark of the Witch started off really good, I liked all of the characters and the plot was good but predictable and then the romance kicked in and it went all mushy and the characters changed from kickass to soppy. I find this tends to happen a lot of the time with Paranormal Romance and it frustrates me no end.

I won’t be readi
Anna's Herding Cats!
What a fantastic start to Maggie Shayne's newest series! Mark of the Witch is definitely one you'll want to look out for because this book was fantastic! It's got it all. Witches, Priests, human sacrifices and murder, secret religious sects. Soul-mates, betrayals and past lives violently manifesting. It's a non-stop wild ride that's fascinating, unique and so damn good you'll want to savor it. Slowly. And, yeah, it'll totally mess with your head. In a good way.

Full review to come...

{An ARC was
Jeannette Medina
I HAD THE PLEASURE TO READ THE BOOK BEFORE IT CAME OUT AND I MUST SAY THAT I FELL IN LOVE. I CAN RELATE TO INDY. THE WAY SHE TALKS AND WHERE SHE LIVES(BROOKLYN). I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT TILL THE NEXT BOOK COMES OUT. MAGGIE IS A GREAT WRITER. SHE MAKES YOU FEEL CONNECTED TO THE CHARACTERS. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE OF WHAT HAPPENS TO DEMETRIUS. THANKS MAGGIE FOR INTRODUCING ME INTO ANOTHER ENCHANTED WORLD...
kristina
wow wow wow this book was really good! I enjoyed every single line and I'm looking forward to read the second one :-)!
Debbie Talbot
Review to come. I loved it !!!
Alicia
What do you get when you throw together a witch and a priest?

One hell of a sexy good time!

Mark of the Witch was an amazing read. It is different from any other book I have ever read. I really enjoyed seeing people from different religions being thrown together. It was incredible fun!

Indira is a witch that had given up on her faith years ago but now she is having these nightmares that are becoming more and more real. They are so real that they are now leaving evidence as injuries marked in her s
Melindeeloo
3.5 stars - Shayne has been a long time favorite of mine and I was excited to see this new series from her. If you want a sneak peak at the back story that is the framework for the series, you might want to quick snag the prequel short story Legacy of the Witch (which was free when I wrote this review).

Mark of the Witch kicks off Shayne's new Portal series with love and hate that goes past the boundaries of a single life and the build up to events that will release or damn an entity - that may
Jenn
Overall, I was really disappointed in this book. I haven't read Maggie Shayne in years, but I remember loving her early novels, so when I saw this series on sale at my local bookstore, I picked up all three books. Mark of the Witch wasn't horrible and the story eventually picked up enough that I wanted to know how it ended, but there were a lot of things that didn't work for me.

Indira is a lapsed Wiccan who's having awful dreams set in the distant past and turns to an old friend of hers, a Wicca
Aditi
Reviews & all that jazz : That READioactive Book Blog
description

Sometimes a good story smacks you right in between your eyes. Blind-sides you. You just don't see it coming. And you read the rest of it in a daze, leaving reality behind.
Mark of the Witch is one such story.

It opens with a sacrificial ritual in an ancient eastern culture. Three women are plunged to their death from a cliff in a parched desert land. One of them is the protagonist.
Page one and I was reeling. Why again had I not read Maggie S
Jeannie Walker
This is an awesome read by an extremely talented and awesome writer. It is so true: Destiny has but one beginning. I loved the descriptions that conjure up painted pictures as you read. Indira is a stunning beauty with Wiccan roots. As a child she was treated unfairly, suffered distressful losses and believes she will never experience real love. She appears to be a determined woman with a will of iron, even though she is very vulnerable. Indy begins having strange dreams and feels she may have b ...more
Carlyn
An absolutely fantastic start to a magical new series!
Indira is a formely slitary witch who has given up practising her craft when the one spell to find her soul mate yeilds her nothing. When she starts having dreams about being a witch from Babylon who was killed things get really wierd. Tomas is a priest who has been charged with helping the witch to stop a demon from coming through the portal, but is everything as it really seems?
A great set of characters and an in depth knowledge of witchcr
Portal Series and Contest 1 3 Aug 24, 2012 08:37AM
How many people are super excited to read this!!! 10 13 Aug 02, 2012 01:03PM
Free Prequel Download 3 11 Aug 02, 2012 10:11AM
release date 3 7 Aug 02, 2012 10:10AM
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • The Demoness of Waking Dreams (The Company of Angels, #2)
  • How to Marry a Warlock in 10 Days (10 Days, #2)
  • A Demon Does It Better (Hex, #6)
  • Repossessed (Warlock Repo Man Chronicles #1)
  • Demon Chained (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #5)
  • The Guardian of Bastet
  • Vacation with a Vampire: Stay / Vivi and the Vampire / Island Vacation
  • Renegade (The Protectors, #1)
  • Forbidden (The World of Nightwalkers, #1)
  • Desire the Night
  • Keeper of the Night (The Keepers: L.A. #1)
  • Shades of Temptation (SIG, #2)
  • The Cat's Meow (Witch's Brew, #1)
  • Angel in Chains (The Fallen, #3)
  • Halfway Hexed (Southern Witch, #3)
  • Goddess in the Middle (Forgotten Goddesses, #3)
  • Dragon's Moon (Children of the Moon, #4)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...
An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5) Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5) The Gingerbread Man Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)