Start by marking “When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1)

When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  3,814 ratings  ·  426 reviews
Simon O'Neal's causing trouble again. And it's up to Gail DeMarco to stop him.

Gail DeMarco left Whiskey Creek, California, to make a name for herself in Los Angeles. Her PR firm has accumulated a roster of A-list clients, including the biggest box office hit of all—sexy and unpredictable Simon O'Neal. But Simon, who's just been through a turbulent divorce, is so busy self-
Published August 28th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When Lightning Strikes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Lightning Strikes

Love Unscripted by Tina ReberJust the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesLove Unrehearsed by Tina ReberThe Accidental Movie Star by Emily  EvansBreathe by Abbi Glines
Hollywood Romance Novels
78th out of 206 books — 369 voters
Practice Makes Perfect by Julie JamesJust the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesCheckmate by R.L. MathewsonPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenPlaying for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson
Enemies in Love
72nd out of 115 books — 162 voters

More lists with this book...

This is going to be short and sweet.

I ended up really enjoying this one. I wasn't sure I would because early on it was just a bit ho-hum for me. But at about 30% things changed and I'm so happy they did.

I think the best way to describe this book is that it was one of those feel good stories. The heroine Gail was very likable and never once did she drive me batty with unnecessary drama. And the hero Simon was that asshat you hated to love but loved anyways. And in the end he was quite a sweethear
Until about the last ten percent of this book I was without a doubt giving this one a five star review. I was getting ready to make posters of this bad boy. Hang them up in my room to swoon over them. There I was, starting it soon after dinner, and then it was two in the morning and I. Could. Not. Stop. Reading. It has been so long since a simple romantic contemporary did that to me. And those are the ones that stick, because those are the ones that got me started. My first loves were Susan Eliz ...more
3.5 Stars

Simon O'Neal is a hard drinking, womanizing Hollywood superstar. He surrounds himself with people who fawn over him and won't call him on his reckless behavior.
Gail Dimarco was his PR consultant until she sacked him as a client. But after an over-zealous employee intimated that Simon sexually assaulted Gail, they need to get together and do some serious damage control.

Simon is in a bitter custody battle for his son, and any more bad press will destroy his already shaky case. To rehabi
Tessa Teevan
LOVED this book! Sweet, heartfelt, and even though there was potential for it, no unnecessary angst or drama. Just a great feel good romance!
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳

I am hooked on this series. HOOKED. I can't seem to depart with it, now reading book 5 already!
5 books in a row! And the worst is that I wouldn't have open this book if not for a friend putting it right under my nose!
I love contemporary romance, I don't mind the lack of steam if the story is worth it. In that case, Brenda Novak lays out it all so cleverly, capturing the reader's attention within the first chapter.

I could really appreciate her writing, the care she gave to built her cha
Gail DeMarco created a successful PR firm with many A-list clients, including Simon O'Neal,one of the most successful and gorgeous actors in Los Angeles. When she decided to cut him loose after his umpteenth self-destructive act, his business manager retaliated by taking all of her clients with him. Simon is in the middle of a nasty custody battle with his ex-wife and needs to clean up his image so he and Gail make a deal: he'll get her business back in order if she'll agree to marry him and giv ...more
This would really be a 3.5, if we were allowed to give half stars. (GoodReads, I'm looking at you.) But as much fun as I had reading this small-town romance, which is admittedly not my usual type, there were some things about it I just could not get past.

For starters, what begins as a business-arrangement marriage quickly turns into the heroine trying to saaaave her alcoholic (supposedly he's not actually an alcoholic because it was easy to give up the booze when he put his mind to it...cause th
4.25 stars. I've had this on my To-Read for the longest time. I am so happy I was able to read it! I really enjoyed it but I wish we had gotten to hear more about Olivia, Brandon, and Kyle from the first story. All I know is Kyle is now divorced...what happened to the baby??? That's frustrating but I still liked the book :).
Rating: 3,5 stars.

I seem to be quite nitpicking about romances lately, which is why I took 1,5 stars from the rating, but to be fair I really enjoyed this one.

The plot: Gail (the owner of a successful PR firm that is about to suddenly take a nosedive) and Simon (a world famous, filthy-rich movie star who’s been on a self-destructive path since his publicly scandalous divorce that may cost him the custody of his son) decide to make a “business deal” that they hope will solve all their problems,
Listened to on audio. Narrated by Amy Rubinate.

3.5 stars for the book. 4 stars for the narration.

I liked the narration on this. Evenly paced, well performed, there is literally nothing I can complain about! The reason for 4 stars rather than 5 though, is that whilst nothing stood out as irritating or offputting, neither did anything make me want to rush out and see what else this narrator has done.

As for the book, I really enjoyed it. Very well written. I enjoyed the story, the town, some of the
3-1/2 stars
I liked this more than I thought I was going to. Somehow it was just really readable. The relationship between the two of them was the entire thrust of the story with not a lot of attention paid to secondary characters although they were there, the author didn't jump into any one else's POV. I just really enjoyed watching them fall in love.
This wasn't bad but it wasn't mind blowing either. The first half of the book is slow. There are many things going on, but instead of actions that move the story forward, the characters spend way too much time in their own internal dialog. It didn't hold my attention and it was a struggle to get through. There was so much analyzing and thinking, I think it limited what could have been a fun and engaging story arc.

The narrator is pleasant enough. If this had been in print I'm not sure that I woul
Rachel❤ dreaming with open eyes
5 redeeming love stars!

OMG, this book it was like I was on crack. I had to have more of it, all the time - I could not put it down. I've thought about it, and I honestly think it was Brenda Novak's writing. The story itself is also wonderful don't get me wrong, but I'd recommend this book just for the addictive writing.

Anyway, have you ever been stuck between a rock and a hard place? Where you've had to swallow your pride (with difficulty) and apologise to someone you don't like? Well, this is w
Feb 27, 2015 Angela marked it as 1-click  ·  review of another edition
27 February 2015: $0.00 FREE on Kindle

3 March 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
I wasn't a big fan of how this one started out. I don't really like the enemies to lovers trope, because of that I wasn't behind the farce that Gayle and Simon dreamed up to help him out. But with that said, I liked how each of them learned to see the other person in different ways, I really liked how Gayle became a bulldog with Simon to protect him. When the story shifted to Whiskey Creek things picked up for me. The slow pace was just what Simon needed.

I liked how this one ended, loved that Si
Lovely and unlikely love story. I loved every single word on the page. Gail and Simon started their relationship for all the wrong reasons, but what a wonderful story!

This and other reviews can also be found on my blog: (un)Conventional Bookviews

When Lightning Strikes is book 1 of the Whiskey Creek series, and I have already read the prequel – and I loved that, too!

From there, a merry-go-round is taking both Simon and Gail on a wild ride. And it ends up with Gail telling Simon he should marry a
Gail is a Hollywood PR guru. She is so frustrated with Simon's refusal to listen to what she says that she finally drops him as a client. He goes to another firm and takes most of her clients with him, leaving her company in deep trouble. In order to save her company she goes to Sam with a plan to help them both. She'll help him repair his image and he'll come back to her firm. She comes up with a plan for him to marry a squeaky clean girl and behave himself. She doesn't expect to get roped into ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at

PR firm owner Gail DeMarco finds herself in hot water when her A list client retaliates against some bad PR she gave him and as a result, Gail has been dropped by her other clients. With her business going downhill quick, Gail has to swallow her pride and convince Simon to call a truce and to take her back.

Hollywood bad boy, Simon O’Neal only wants one thing; to see his little boy. He agrees to forgive Gail and help her out for a price
This was a really good read. I loved the characters, the personalities, the ups and downs, emotions, the plot, and the great ending. This one definitely got me interested and ha me wanting to know what would happen next when I wasn't reading. A great beginning and has me wanting to read more in the series! Written well and had hating/loving the characters. Enjoy!
Suzie Quint
I like the marriage of convenience troupe, but it's rare to find it done well and believably in contemporary romance. Brenda Novak pulls it off here in a compelling way. I also like that while her hero is movie star rich (because he is one), the focus isn't on his money but on the misery of being in the media spotlight when your life is unraveling and how, no matter what you do, some people will never believe you can pull yourself back up. On top of that, Simon and Gail are such a well-matched c ...more
*sigh*. Just what I needed. A sweet but very well-written get-away. I'm not usually enamored by Hollywood bad-boy tropes, but this one kept my attention and allowed the perfect diversion into happily ever after!
Christina Montminy
This book is amazing. The story of Gail & Simon is wonderful. Only in Hollywood would an actor think that playing being married to someone his manager just tried to destroy would work. Gail's PR firm drops Simon as a client because he can't control himself anymore. Simon's furious & his manager decides to take all of Gail's clients away from her firm. Gail has lashed out at some of Simon's activities & has kind of caused some of this mess herself. Simon is trying to get his life toge ...more
Después de la tormenta me ha sorprendido muchísimo, no esperaba que me fuera a gustar tanto. Y es que todo me ha atrapado, desde el principio hasta ese maravilloso epílogo.

Así que Simon, nuestro protagonista, es un actor muy famoso con unos cuantos problemas gordos y lo único que quiere es pasar tiempo con su hijo Ty. Pero su exmujer, Bella, es una hija de puta persona muy mala y egoísta que sólo quiere a Simon para ella. Su matrimonio estuvo en todas las revistas, ya que se ponían los cuernos
Simon, a hunky movie star, and Gail, his publicist (ex-publicist, actually) enter into a temporary marriage of convenience. Gail had dropped Simon as a client, because he was self-destructing & wouldn't listen to her. He (or his agent) retaliated by pulling most of her clients from her agency.They will both gain something from this marriage. She needs to get him away from the public eye & away from temptation for his vices, so she brings him to her hometown. They set up house & begin ...more
Lisa Kay
(This is a review of the audiobook.) Amy Rubinate does a nice job of narrating this book. I thought this was definitely going to be a three star book for me. I wanted to feel happy while out doing my errands, or maybe even hopeful... or enthralled. Alas, I frequently felt sad. However, the last fifth of the book came in with better feelings between the main characters, and saved the day. ...more
4.5 This was such a good book. Yes its been done before. The whole marriage contract and so forth but the writing was so crisp and the characters were so likeable that I was instantly drawn in. I cant wait to read more from this series.
Elaine Mcdonald
For some reason this series has really pulled me in. I like the books I have read so far, enough to actually purchase them! Which is saying something when most of my books are either free or from the library. Yes, I am cheap!
Two-haiku review:

She's his publicist
Marry to improve image
Because he's an ass

Bit too much thinking
Ended liking characters
Pretty good romance

liked it better on re-read
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
What a GREAT much more than I thought...Full review to come
Find out how it all began with this first book in bestselling author Brenda Novak's Whiskey Creek series!
Gail DeMarco left Whiskey Creek, California, to make a name for herself in Los Angeles. Her PR firm has a roster of A-list clients, including the sexy and unpredictable Simon O'Neal. But Simon, who's just been through a turbulent divorce, won't cooperate, so she drops him from her list—and he retaliates by taking the rest of her clients with him.
Desperate to save her company, Gail makes a dea
Lorelei James Rom...: When Lightning Strikes~Buddy Read 90 14 Dec 29, 2014 10:40AM
  • Sweet Laurel Falls (Hope's Crossing, #3)
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2)
  • Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3)
  • Two of a Kind (Fool's Gold, #11)
  • Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, #1)
  • Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1)
  • Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)
  • Blaze of Winter (Star Harbor #2)
  • Can't Stop Believing (Harmony, #6)
  • Perfect Fit (Serendipity's Finest, #1)
  • Within Reach
  • Come Fly With Me (Alaskan Nights, #2)
  • One More Summer
  • Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls, #1)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Whiskey Creek (9 books)
  • When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2)
  • When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek, #3)
  • Home to Whiskey Creek (Whiskey Creek, #4)
  • Take Me Home for Christmas (Whiskey Creek, #5)
  • Come Home to Me (Whiskey Creek, #6)
  • The Heart of Christmas (Whiskey Creek, #7)
  • This Heart of Mine (Whiskey Creek, #8)
  • A Winter Wedding (Whiskey Creek, #9)
When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek, #3) Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy, #1)

“Sex is never messy on screen.” 0 likes