Start by marking “I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition” as Want to Read:
I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition

I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
A Friend or Two

Elizabeth Wainwright, an East Coast heiress in disguise, takes a job waitressing at a Fisherman's Wharf café, eager to live a simpler life. One day Andrew Breed—handsome, mysterious and charismatic—walks in. He says he's a longshoreman, but his words and actions don't quite add up. Is Elizabeth falling in love with someone who's pretending to be something ot
Published August 28th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA

To ask other readers questions about I Left My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Left My Heart

Heidi
Jan 02, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Both stories were cute. I think the second one was my favorite even though I wanted to knock some sense into her. Predictable, especially if you have read a lot of Debbie Macomber, but still good.
Urszula
Jan 24, 2015 Urszula rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't going anywhere. Thus I was not going to waste anymore time on it.

The story line was flat and borring. The chacacters very uninteresting...
Lisa
Feb 19, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it
Cheryl
Oct 31, 2012 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Dumb and poorly written. Set in modern times with language from olden times. "Darling, I shall not leave you". Ugh, please.
Marie
Jan 31, 2013 Marie rated it it was ok
VERY predictable. Fast read. Not recommended if you want to really sink your teeth into a book.
Deyanne
Oct 23, 2012 Deyanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: beach-read
Ho hum...shallow at best. I wonder why I kept reading. Looking for escape.
Ceelee Sunshine
Jun 03, 2013 Ceelee Sunshine rated it it was ok
Very disapponted! I usually like Debbie Macomber's books but I Left My Heart didn't float my boat despite being set in San Francisco. I didn't like the main characters of either story and if I can't identify with the main character in some way I can't like a book no matter how good the writing The book is actually two reissues of early Harlequin novels which explains a lot The first book was actually a little better than the second although I wasn't thrilled with Elizabeth's selfish deceitful be ...more
Arlene
Oct 06, 2012 Arlene rated it really liked it
Two books in one! A Friend or Two and No Competition!

The first, A Friend or Two... an heiress takes a job as a waitress where nobody knows she's rich! She falls in love with a customer that has been coming into the restaurant, but he has his own secret and it causes problems when she discovers who he really is!

No Competition is about an artist that paints a picture of her beautiful twin sister. A man buys the picture thinking its her interpretation of how she sees herself inside even tho she's
Patricia Solla
Oct 15, 2012 Patricia Solla rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book contains two romantic stories set in San Francisco. The first story deals with a young woman dealing with the death of her mother and trying to get on with her own life. Visiting San Francisco, a city her mother loved, she finds herself taking a waitressing job, making a new friend and falling in love. There's a twist in the romance but all works out well in the end. In the second story there's a young woman who is a talented artist and is selling a painting she has done of her sister ...more
Denise
Feb 08, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Debbie Macomber fans, light romance fans
This book is a reissue of two of Debbie's older books (A Friend Or Two and No Competition). Fortunately I hadn't read either of these older books.

I have one gripe that I want to get off my chest--I try to read all the books that an author publishes when I like their writing. Debbie is very prolific so trying to read all of her books is a challenge. Then when you find a title that you haven't read and when you get it and then find it is a reissue under a new name it is pretty annoying.

With that
Diane
Aug 24, 2015 Diane rated it did not like it
Thoroughly disappointed with story line and characters in this one. AND I LOVE Macomber's books - have read TONS of them. Elizabeth, a.k.a. Beth, acts like a flighty woman who belongs in a Harlequin romance :( Breed is unpredictable and while that is explained away by the end of the book, he, like Elizabeth/Beth have no real personalities :( I hope this is the only Macomber book that ever disappoints me, since I do LOVE her books !
Meg Funk
Oct 27, 2015 Meg Funk rated it did not like it
Both stories were forced, predictable and had ridiculous characters. let's all run off and get married after knowing someone for 47 seconds. Sad because I heard a lot of good things about this author, but I don't want to read another book to find out!
 Gigi Ann
Nov 03, 2013 Gigi Ann rated it liked it
My Thoughts...

Debbie Macomber is one of my favorite authors, and what could be more fun than finding a book of hers that is two books in one...yes that's right, two books, two books in one!

These stories were light-hearted romance, delightfully fluffy and fun. Sometimes my mind becomes light and fluffy like dandelion seeds, blown about by a stiff breeze. I like to read something fun and fluffy at those times just like those dandelion seeds. Well, these books fit the bill. They were fun light roma
Misty
Jun 24, 2016 Misty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe my mistake was listening to the audiobook, but this book was so dramatic! I love cheesy, love stories, but this was way to much!
June
Feb 07, 2014 June rated it it was ok
If you read the first story in this book, just change the names to the ones in the second story and you don't have to bother reading it.
Jann
Mar 23, 2014 Jann rated it liked it
A great escape. Two books in one. I found these stories pretty flat in comparison to her newer ones. I still enjoyed it though
Jill
Apr 17, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Two stories in one book. Simple read. Romance. Just fun stories

RPL
Kimberly Kelly smiljanic
The first story I enjoyed. The characters were easy to like and being from San Francisco it was a nice way to step away from life in LA and imagine I was home. The second story was so annoying being the main character suffered from a major identity crisis. She's this wonderful artist with severe insecurities. It led me to wonder what the heck is wrong with Shane to be so in love with her. I was more happy for her sister. I wouldn't bother with No Competition unless you're in the mood to be irrit ...more
Becky
Jul 14, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
2 Great Books!!
Lori
Nov 27, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
As always, Macomber is a light and fluffy read. This was a two for one both having San Francisco as the setting. I really like the first one "A Friend or Two," had a bit of romance and mystery. The second "No Competition" drove me crazy! The main character is so insecure and paranoid that it makes the plot annoying. Really - I don't know how a many could ever stay in love with someone so unsure of herself.
Gloria Green
These are among her earlier writings, so her current style [that works so well] was emerging, I thought. But she is unique, well-loved, and I enjoyed them anyway.
Carol
Oct 13, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
True to form, I enjoyed I Left My Heart by Debbie Macomber. This book is actually a combo of two books published in the 1980's: A Friend or Two and No Competition. I enjoy Debbie Macomber's wholesome style of writing. Her books are proof that an author doesn't have to use excessive vulgar language, very dark violence, or elicit sexual themes to keep a reader turning the pages.
Faye
Sep 29, 2012 Faye rated it liked it
The title is from a Tony Bennett song. these were written in the 80's. The first has a Boston heiress, working as a waitress falling in love with man that she learns is her bodyguard.
The other is about an architect that falls in love with an insecure artist.
These were good stories but not as great as i expect from Debbie Macomber.
Joyce
Sep 28, 2012 Joyce rated it did not like it
Love Debbie Macomber books. Not a big fan of either of these two stories. No competition - Carrie is an artist with the self esteem of a slug. She can't believe a man could love her really the way she acted she is lucky he gave her a second look. Just really did not like this character
Spring Clark
Jan 08, 2015 Spring Clark rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean-romance
I always love to read Debbie Macomber books - they are fun, light and make you feel good - there is usually nothing questionable in them. The second story "No Competition" wasn't my favorite of hers, because the heroine was so incredibly insecure, but I still enjoyed it.
JoAnne
Oct 14, 2012 JoAnne rated it really liked it
2 stories in one book both taking place in St Francisco. Both were enjoyable reads with lots of love, romance, family, friends, misunderstandings, sorrow and sadness. Both had happily ever afters and would have loved it if each were a little longer.
Vintage Macomber.
Laurie
Nov 11, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it

I'm giving this three stars because I really liked the first story but the second one drove me nuts. I don't really know why I even kept reading to the end. The main character was such a flake that it's amazing the guy didn't write her off.
Gayle
Jul 09, 2013 Gayle rated it it was amazing
I will read this again. Good love stories with great lead into's. Awaiting for book 2 of the series out at end of this month (july) and the 3rd book of the series comes out in August. I hate having to wait for books in a series - but that's life.
Tina
May 21, 2013 Tina rated it it was ok
This book is composed of two parts. The first, "A Friend or Two" wasn't really worthwhile, despite its promising premise. The second, "No Competition" was somewhat better. Overall, I won't recommend this book unless you are die hard Macomber fan.
Linda
Jun 01, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok
Rarely have I been disappointed by a book by Debbie Macomber, but I must say that I was by this one. The characters were insipid, the plot almost nonexistent, and I was downright bored. Sorry, Ms. Macomber, this wasn't one of your better attempts.
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Protection (A Forbidden Love, #2)
  • Still as Death
  • A Day Away: One Summer / Temptation
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Edge of Forever / A Natural Father
  • Unconditional
  • A Winter Wonderland
  • Redeeming Waters
  • My Big Old Texas Heartache (Cedar Dell, #1)
  • Cast On, Kill Off (A Knitting Mystery, #10)
  • Ray of Light (The Days of Redemption #2)
  • A Slice of Life
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 950 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...