Start by marking “I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition” as Want to Read:
I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition

I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  54 reviews
A Friend or Two

Elizabeth Wainwright, an East Coast heiress in disguise, takes a job waitressing at a Fisherman's Wharf café, eager to live a simpler life. One day Andrew Breed—handsome, mysterious and charismatic—walks in. He says he's a longshoreman, but his words and actions don't quite add up. Is Elizabeth falling in lo
Published August 28th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA

To ask other readers questions about I Left My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Left My Heart

Heidi
Both stories were cute. I think the second one was my favorite even though I wanted to knock some sense into her. Predictable, especially if you have read a lot of Debbie Macomber, but still good.
Urszula
This book wasn't going anywhere. Thus I was not going to waste anymore time on it.

The story line was flat and borring. The chacacters very uninteresting...
Lisa Shawn
Cheryl
Dumb and poorly written. Set in modern times with language from olden times. "Darling, I shall not leave you". Ugh, please.
Marie
VERY predictable. Fast read. Not recommended if you want to really sink your teeth into a book.
Deyanne
Ho hum...shallow at best. I wonder why I kept reading. Looking for escape.
Ceelee Sunshine
Very disapponted! I usually like Debbie Macomber's books but I Left My Heart didn't float my boat despite being set in San Francisco. I didn't like the main characters of either story and if I can't identify with the main character in some way I can't like a book no matter how good the writing The book is actually two reissues of early Harlequin novels which explains a lot The first book was actually a little better than the second although I wasn't thrilled with Elizabeth's selfish deceitful be ...more
Arlene
Two books in one! A Friend or Two and No Competition!

The first, A Friend or Two... an heiress takes a job as a waitress where nobody knows she's rich! She falls in love with a customer that has been coming into the restaurant, but he has his own secret and it causes problems when she discovers who he really is!

No Competition is about an artist that paints a picture of her beautiful twin sister. A man buys the picture thinking its her interpretation of how she sees herself inside even tho she's
Patricia Solla
This book contains two romantic stories set in San Francisco. The first story deals with a young woman dealing with the death of her mother and trying to get on with her own life. Visiting San Francisco, a city her mother loved, she finds herself taking a waitressing job, making a new friend and falling in love. There's a twist in the romance but all works out well in the end. In the second story there's a young woman who is a talented artist and is selling a painting she has done of her sister ...more
Denise
Feb 08, 2013 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Debbie Macomber fans, light romance fans
This book is a reissue of two of Debbie's older books (A Friend Or Two and No Competition). Fortunately I hadn't read either of these older books.

I have one gripe that I want to get off my chest--I try to read all the books that an author publishes when I like their writing. Debbie is very prolific so trying to read all of her books is a challenge. Then when you find a title that you haven't read and when you get it and then find it is a reissue under a new name it is pretty annoying.

With that
trisha
Aug 21, 2014 trisha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This was a read that I didn't need to think about much. Everything was flat, stock and predictable. Perhaps that's what I was looking for. Other Macomber reads are recommended.
 Gigi Ann
My Thoughts...

Debbie Macomber is one of my favorite authors, and what could be more fun than finding a book of hers that is two books in one...yes that's right, two books, two books in one!

These stories were light-hearted romance, delightfully fluffy and fun. Sometimes my mind becomes light and fluffy like dandelion seeds, blown about by a stiff breeze. I like to read something fun and fluffy at those times just like those dandelion seeds. Well, these books fit the bill. They were fun light roma
June
If you read the first story in this book, just change the names to the ones in the second story and you don't have to bother reading it.
Jann
A great escape. Two books in one. I found these stories pretty flat in comparison to her newer ones. I still enjoyed it though
Jill
Two stories in one book. Simple read. Romance. Just fun stories

RPL
Kimberly Kelly smiljanic
The first story I enjoyed. The characters were easy to like and being from San Francisco it was a nice way to step away from life in LA and imagine I was home. The second story was so annoying being the main character suffered from a major identity crisis. She's this wonderful artist with severe insecurities. It led me to wonder what the heck is wrong with Shane to be so in love with her. I was more happy for her sister. I wouldn't bother with No Competition unless you're in the mood to be irrit ...more
Becky
2 Great Books!!
Lori
As always, Macomber is a light and fluffy read. This was a two for one both having San Francisco as the setting. I really like the first one "A Friend or Two," had a bit of romance and mystery. The second "No Competition" drove me crazy! The main character is so insecure and paranoid that it makes the plot annoying. Really - I don't know how a many could ever stay in love with someone so unsure of herself.
Gloria Green
These are among her earlier writings, so her current style [that works so well] was emerging, I thought. But she is unique, well-loved, and I enjoyed them anyway.
Carol
True to form, I enjoyed I Left My Heart by Debbie Macomber. This book is actually a combo of two books published in the 1980's: A Friend or Two and No Competition. I enjoy Debbie Macomber's wholesome style of writing. Her books are proof that an author doesn't have to use excessive vulgar language, very dark violence, or elicit sexual themes to keep a reader turning the pages.
Faye
The title is from a Tony Bennett song. these were written in the 80's. The first has a Boston heiress, working as a waitress falling in love with man that she learns is her bodyguard.
The other is about an architect that falls in love with an insecure artist.
These were good stories but not as great as i expect from Debbie Macomber.
Joyce
Love Debbie Macomber books. Not a big fan of either of these two stories. No competition - Carrie is an artist with the self esteem of a slug. She can't believe a man could love her really the way she acted she is lucky he gave her a second look. Just really did not like this character
Spring Clark
I always love to read Debbie Macomber books - they are fun, light and make you feel good - there is usually nothing questionable in them. The second story "No Competition" wasn't my favorite of hers, because the heroine was so incredibly insecure, but I still enjoyed it.
JoAnne
2 stories in one book both taking place in St Francisco. Both were enjoyable reads with lots of love, romance, family, friends, misunderstandings, sorrow and sadness. Both had happily ever afters and would have loved it if each were a little longer.
Vintage Macomber.
Laurie

I'm giving this three stars because I really liked the first story but the second one drove me nuts. I don't really know why I even kept reading to the end. The main character was such a flake that it's amazing the guy didn't write her off.
Gayle
I will read this again. Good love stories with great lead into's. Awaiting for book 2 of the series out at end of this month (july) and the 3rd book of the series comes out in August. I hate having to wait for books in a series - but that's life.
Tina
This book is composed of two parts. The first, "A Friend or Two" wasn't really worthwhile, despite its promising premise. The second, "No Competition" was somewhat better. Overall, I won't recommend this book unless you are die hard Macomber fan.
Linda
Rarely have I been disappointed by a book by Debbie Macomber, but I must say that I was by this one. The characters were insipid, the plot almost nonexistent, and I was downright bored. Sorry, Ms. Macomber, this wasn't one of your better attempts.
Kathy jenkins
a bit sad after reading one of my favorite feel good authors and her stories only left me feeling old and wanting to slap the main character out of her silliness. Maybe i need to find a new feel good author. hmmm...
Lea
There was a ladies-who-hate-their-freckles theme between these too stories, as well as deception inevitably leads to a kink in your romance.
Both stories set in San Francisco.
Re-release from the 1980s, yet not dated.
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Dream Mender: Dream Mender\Stay...
  • Innocence (A Forbidden Love, Book 1)
  • A Day Away: One Summer / Temptation
  • No Regrets
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Beyond Tomorrow
  • Passing Through Paradise
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Unconditional
  • Redeeming Waters
  • Ray of Light (The Days of Redemption #2)
  • Touching the Sky (Land of the Lone Star, # 2)
  • Beach Season

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1)