Blue Skies

Blue Skies

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  840 ratings  ·  92 reviews

Dixie McPherson, on the other hand, has had way too much love. She has eleven tennis bracelets, dozens of trinkets, piles of sexy linge...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Skies

Janet
I picked up Blue Skies at the Phoenix airport, which is entirely appropriate, since this is a book about the airline industry. And it's a valentine to Las Vegas, pre the economic collapse and houses going underwater. Three main characters, a female pilot, a flight attendant who reminded me of characters from Rona Jaffe novels, like The Best of Everything, and their gay friend (yes, he was that much of a stereotype). A major plot point -- and no, I don't think I need to include spoilers since thi...more
Jeanne
This was a different book than I expected. It sounds like it's supposed to be a romance, and there are elements of that, but it's not really. It's a story of three friends and the airline industry. All of them have had problems in relationships, generally because of their own internal issues. Is it low self-esteem that keeps people in bad relationships or relationship patterns? They each make strides in overcoming their pasts, however. Their new starts come in part from the start-up of a new avi...more
Nancy Erskine
Absolutely excellent read.The characters become 'friends' and you can't WAIT to see/read what happens to them. ENJOY!
Marcia Berg Haskell
"Nikki Burgess survived a terrible marriage and a worse divorce. She's just about given up hope of ever finding happiness. But when her ex-husband suddenly dies, she gets custody of her kids again—and a chance to start over.Dixie McPherson, on the other hand, has had way too much love. She has eleven tennis bracelets, dozens of trinkets, piles of sexy lingerie and a tarnished reputation when all she ever wanted was true love, a partner and a family.

Carlisle Bartlett is loyal, kindhearted and the...more
Darcy
I think what I liked most about this book was the hopefulness that the characters had. It wasn't all the time and they went through some bad times, but with the new job and new lives they all were so excited, you couldn't help but to get excited with them.

I enjoyed Nikki being challenged by a dimwit at her job. Those that were in the know knew she didn't have anything to worry about. I loved seeing Dixie start to see herself differently and have to become the pursuer instead of the pursue. Carli...more
Barbara
While I’ve enjoyed reading Ms. Carr’s Virgin River series, this book felt like a retread of other romance novels of hers, particularly ‘The House on Olive Street’ where the author takes several main characters and spins subplots around their lives.

In this book, a new airline is getting off the ground (pun sadly intended) and Nikki Burgess is given the opportunity to be a chief pilot. She’s the survivor of a bad marriage and even worse divorce. She’s probably one of the more relatable characters...more
Elizabeth
Another great audio from Robyn Carr. I love the narrator she uses for most of her audiobooks. As for the content, I got a little bogged down in airline terminology, but I admit to learning a lot about the life and inner workings about the airline industry. I loved the characters, particularly Opal. She was so much fun and a perfect match for Nicky's rather uptight lifestyle.
Kathryn
Loved this story. It sat in my TBR pile far too long! A few poor reviews had deterred me. But I read in a few sittings. I love stories where women break that glass ceiling. Also Robyn Carr had great insight to the air transport business. Loved it.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

She's airline pilot
Goes to help startup airline
All kinds of trouble

Not the typical Robyn Carr. Too much technical information;
rambling sentences. Definitely not my favorite book. Would
not recommend it.
Notserp2002
enjoyable read...fun & interesting relationships amongst many people with the start up of a new airline.
Mary Ann
I hate when I start reading a book and decide its an old one put out with a new cover.

The book was okay.
Patricia Solla
This was one of the best books I've read in quite a while. The back of the book best describes the main characters involved in the storyline. 'Nikki Burgess survived a terrible marriage and a worse divorce. She's just about given up hope of ever finding happiness. But when her ex-husband suddenly dies, she gets custody of her kids again - and a chance to start over. Dixie McPherson, on the other hand, has had way too much love. She has eleven tennis bracelets, dozens of trinkets, piles of sexy l...more
Sarah Eiseman
Originally posted on sarahsbookshelf.com:

One of the things that I love about Romance is that I almost always learn something new. I especially love when authors truly write what they know, because I often find out something that I never would have known otherwise. That was definitely true of this story, which follows the birth of a new airline, something Robyn Carr’s family has had a lot of personal experience with.

A tad more Women’s Fiction than true Romance, Blue Skies tells the story of Nikki...more
Samantha
Nikki Burgess’s life is thrown into chaos as soon as her ex-husband dies and she gets full custody of her two children. As an airline pilot, this is not the most ideal situation for her but she loves her kids and she is willingly to do whatever it takes to take care of them. Immediately, I thought this is a great start to a book about a woman who is dealing with the pain of the past and adjusting to life.

To top it off, Nikki has two best friends (also in the airline industry) that come with thei...more
Danielle Hinson
Blue Skies started out a lot slower than most of the other Robyn Carr books I've read. I'm a huge fan of her Virgin River and Thunder Point series; this definitely doesn't fit in with those. But the ending hooked me.

There is a good bit of plane/airport/executive technical talk and is what I struggled to not be bored with. But Nikki and her supporting characters were wonderfully written.

I gave it 3 stars because, while I don't think I'll read it again, I really enjoyed it in the end. It seems t...more
Becky
This book is nothing like the Virgin River series and I'm glad it wasn't. I love the River series and have the whole set. I really liked this book as it was a different side of writing for Robyn Carr, drawing on her own husbands life as a pilot and an excutive in the commercial airlines. I was so facinated in learning about the airline industry and what its like to start up a new airline. She developed all the characters so well that you became part of their lives. It wasn't a big romance book w...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I really like Blue Skies even though I gave it three stars. I liked it because it is set in my world, the world of aviation. I am a pilot and female so I recognized so much of what Nikki had to put up with. My world was not airlines but general aviation but pilots and the aviation world is much the same no matter where you work. The three was for the romance. There was not that much of it and it was only near the end of the book. I did love the one between Dixie and Danny. It was sweet and fun....more
Linda Smatzny
Nice story about Nikki Burgess, a pilot, who joins a start-up airline as chief pilot. It also follows her two best friends, Dixie and Carlisle who make the move to Las Vegas. It had a lot of information on the behind the scenes of running of an airline. It was a quick easy read.
Academicsupport
Good story regarding the airline industry in the aftermath of Nine Eleven. An interesting cast of characters with sexism, spousal abuse, hijackings, and romance in the workplaces as only a few of the subjects visited within the novel.
Mary K. Combs
Airplanes and such.

IT WAS A GOOD BOOK. Didn't think I would like the book. But. again the characters were likeable. Pilots are a special breed.
Jeanie Harper
This book was very interesting -all about aviation, pilots, stewardesses and the events of 9/11 were even touched upon.
Darlene
I really would give this book a 3.50 if possible. It was my first Robyn Carr book and I thought it started out slow but it didn't take long for me to change my mind. It was just filling in the backgrown information. The story kept growing until I didn't want to put it down. It's a story of the airline industry and the effects of 9/11 on the industry. It's also about a woman that grew up at her father's side in that industry and her mother that never accepted her decisions and how all those thing...more
Melfie
It was a decent book, keep me moderately interested. I had a hard time keeping track of who everyone was at first. But it was enjoyable.
Lorie Layne
Light and "Air-y"... sweet little read that kept my interest.
Jill
Another good book by Robyn Carr. This is a stand alone novel but it would be fun to hear what happens to the friends in the book next. We do know some, but there is more that we just have to imagine. Much of the story deals with a start up airline based in Las Vegas. Having just seen some of that area it was fun to "know" where the people were living and imagine what they were seeing. I have enjoyed all of the Robyn Carr books I have read. Nikki/Dixie/Carlise and many other interesting character...more
Anna
The first book I read by her. Can't wait to get my hands on more.
Amber
It was good. Not my fave from Robyn Carr, but I still enjoyed it:)
Julie Barrett
Blue Skies by Robyn Carr
Nikki had gotten custody of their children when her ex husband, Drake died.
She used to get gifts of aviation, like planes and things for it.
Now she's relocated her family to Las Vegas, chief pilot of a new airline and her friends are joining her.
Loved hearing the behind the scenes of the pilots and stewardesses and air marshals.
Bit confusing keeping everybody straight as there are many crew and friends.
Relationship troubles and joys with the parents and many others are i...more
  • Where Azaleas Bloom (The Sweet Magnolias, #10)
  • That Holiday Feeling (Includes: Virgin River, #8 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Making Spirits Bright
  • Return to Willow Lake  (Lakeshore Chronicles #9)
  • One in a Million: One in a Million\A Dad for Her Twins
  • One Summer (Shelter Bay, #2)
  • Sweet Laurel Falls (Hope's Crossing, #3)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.
More about Robyn Carr...
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6) Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)