A Cosmic Christmas

A Cosmic Christmas (A Cosmic Christmas #1)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Original Christmas anthology. Twelve cosmic days of Christmas tales ranging from vampires to robots, from the hills of Appalachia to a high orbit space station, all celebrating the holiday in off-beat ways.

Joy to the world . . . or, joy to the worlds! Let heaven and nature—and also the supernatural—sing. A Cosmic Christmas p...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Baen (first published October 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Cosmic Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cosmic Christmas

Kelly
‘A Cosmic Christmas’, edited by Hank Davis, is an eclectic mix of stories by prominent Baen authors. The stories vary greatly by genre, length and attitude and span several decades of speculative fiction. Not all of them have a ‘Christmas’ theme; for some the setting is merely incidental. Others take full advantage of that setting. The anthology also includes an entertaining introduction by editor Hank Davis and each selection has a foreword, a feature I always look for, and a brief summation of...more
Timothy Emmons
I just finished this book and was totally blown away by this one. This is a collection of short stories with a scifi fantasy twist, all amazing writers. There were some surprises here, alittle of these being themed of course around Christmas and the holidays, but the surprises were in the way each author presented it. authors like Mercedes Lackey, Larry Coraia, and Connie Willis were present, with quite a few memorable gems here. The mo'@ phenomenal of course to me, being a classic scifi fan, wa...more
Jared
The whole is less than the sum of its parts. A collection of some pretty good stories, but not a pretty good collection of some stories? I could go on...

The theme of the anthology is obviously Christmas, but it doesn't bother to make any point about the holiday. As far as I can tell, the only selection criteria were, 1) is it speculative fiction? 2) is it about Christmas, or set during Christmas, or does it at least in some way manifest even the faintest glimmering of a connection to Christmas?...more
Steve
An overall good (i.e. not too syrupy) collection of SF Christmas stories. Some stories, such as "Angels in Flight" and "Lobo, Actually," are set in a Christian framework, while others deal with Santa and other Holiday themes. One of the oddest is Seabury Quinn's "Roads," which explains how the Roman centurion at the crucifixion of Jesus became Santa Claus. I'd recommend the book for that story alone.
Pruitt
An entertaining collection of Christmas inspired stories that have all been published previously elsewhere. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this during the buildup to Christmas this year. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an easy, entertaining read during the holiday season. :)
Beanbag Love
I haven't actually finished the whole anthology, only Jake's story. It's sort of shoe-horned into a Christmas theme, the holiday isn't really relevant at all, but it's still Jake so it's still great. :)

If I end up reading the whole antho I'll give it a proper review.
Justin
Most of the stories are pretty weak. Of a much lower quality than Yuletide Universe, but the S.N. Dyer stories are excellent and save this from a one-star.
Mrs. Miriam
Fun anthology with a wide range of stories from different eras of sci fi and fantasy.
Falbs
Some decent stories, but didn't really do it for me.
Richard Gombert
A poor selection of stories.
Angie
Dec 22, 2012 Angie added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Mixed bag of stories
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Bryan Schmidt
Bryan Schmidt marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Kristen Rinaldo
Kristen Rinaldo marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
John Davies
John Davies marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Paul Hasbrouck
Paul Hasbrouck marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Leah
Leah added it
Dec 23, 2013
John Bourn
John Bourn marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Diane
Diane added it
Jan 27, 2014
Lateniteknitter
Lateniteknitter marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Caveman Logic: The Persistence of Primitive Thinking in a Modern World A Cosmic Christmas 2 You In Space No One Can Hear You Scream Small-Town Heroes: Images of Minor League Baseball Classic Cliffhangers: Volume 1, 1914-1940