Start by marking “A Cosmic Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Cosmic Christmas

A Cosmic Christmas (A Cosmic Christmas #1)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Original Christmas anthology. Twelvecosmic days ofChristmas tales ranging from vampires to robots, from the hills of Appalachia to a high orbit space station, all celebrating the holiday in off-beat ways.

Joy to the world . . . or, joy to the worlds! Let heaven and nature—and also the supernatural—sing. A Cosmic Christmas presents twelve stories of Christmas in very unusua
Published November 6th 2012 by Baen (first published October 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Cosmic Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cosmic Christmas

Kelly
Dec 21, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
‘A Cosmic Christmas’, edited by Hank Davis, is an eclectic mix of stories by prominent Baen authors. The stories vary greatly by genre, length and attitude and span several decades of speculative fiction. Not all of them have a ‘Christmas’ theme; for some the setting is merely incidental. Others take full advantage of that setting. The anthology also includes an entertaining introduction by editor Hank Davis and each selection has a foreword, a feature I always look for, and a brief summation of ...more
Melody
Oct 11, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
I liked most of the stories in this book. I am going to check out more books by Sarah A. Hoyt. I did not care for George O. Smith though. His science went against physics and his characters were unlikeable. I admit I found Seabury Quinn's series of stories lame and I abandoned it. But there some nice stories and interesting characters. I also liked Catherine Asario's tale. I have read some of her books but abandoned the series as too frustrating and nasty.
Timothy Emmons
Dec 23, 2012 Timothy Emmons rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and was totally blown away by this one. This is a collection of short stories with a scifi fantasy twist, all amazing writers. There were some surprises here, alittle of these being themed of course around Christmas and the holidays, but the surprises were in the way each author presented it. authors like Mercedes Lackey, Larry Coraia, and Connie Willis were present, with quite a few memorable gems here. The mo'@ phenomenal of course to me, being a classic scifi fan, wa ...more
Jared
Jan 05, 2014 Jared rated it it was ok
The whole is less than the sum of its parts. A collection of some pretty good stories, but not a pretty good collection of some stories? I could go on...

The theme of the anthology is obviously Christmas, but it doesn't bother to make any point about the holiday. As far as I can tell, the only selection criteria were, 1) is it speculative fiction? 2) is it about Christmas, or set during Christmas, or does it at least in some way manifest even the faintest glimmering of a connection to Christmas?
Bill
Dec 24, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing
A great collection!!
Steve
Dec 09, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
An overall good (i.e. not too syrupy) collection of SF Christmas stories. Some stories, such as "Angels in Flight" and "Lobo, Actually," are set in a Christian framework, while others deal with Santa and other Holiday themes. One of the oddest is Seabury Quinn's "Roads," which explains how the Roman centurion at the crucifixion of Jesus became Santa Claus. I'd recommend the book for that story alone.
Pruitt
Dec 31, 2012 Pruitt rated it really liked it
An entertaining collection of Christmas inspired stories that have all been published previously elsewhere. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this during the buildup to Christmas this year. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an easy, entertaining read during the holiday season. :)
Beanbag Love
I haven't actually finished the whole anthology, only Jake's story. It's sort of shoe-horned into a Christmas theme, the holiday isn't really relevant at all, but it's still Jake so it's still great. :)

If I end up reading the whole antho I'll give it a proper review.
Justin
Dec 20, 2012 Justin rated it did not like it
Most of the stories are pretty weak. Of a much lower quality than Yuletide Universe, but the S.N. Dyer stories are excellent and save this from a one-star.
Mrs. Miriam
Dec 13, 2013 Mrs. Miriam rated it it was amazing
Fun anthology with a wide range of stories from different eras of sci fi and fantasy.
Falbs
Feb 20, 2013 Falbs rated it it was ok
Some decent stories, but didn't really do it for me.
Richard Gombert
Dec 23, 2012 Richard Gombert rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
A poor selection of stories.
Angie
Dec 22, 2012 Angie added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Mixed bag of stories
Jacob Hegarty
Jacob Hegarty marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Marnie
Marnie rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Ponders_life
Ponders_life marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Alysha DeShaé
Alysha DeShaé marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
DONNA F LONG
DONNA F LONG rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Nathan Sear
Nathan Sear marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Cal
Cal marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Stubbyjedi
Stubbyjedi rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Sijy
Sijy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

A Cosmic Christmas (2 books)
  • A Cosmic Christmas 2 You