Start by marking “Santa from Cincinnati: with audio recording” as Want to Read:
Santa from Cincinnati: with audio recording

Santa from Cincinnati: with audio recording

Everything you ever wanted to know about Santa, as told to the author of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by the big guy himself. This eBook edition includes audio!

As you might imagine, the early life of Santa Claus was a liiiiiiiittle different from the childhood of your average kid. His first words were “ho ho ho!” By five he was wearing a fake beard and mustache, and c
Published October 2nd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Santa from Cincinnati, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa from Cincinnati

Jim Erekson
Okay, so I was just kidding when I shelved this as Biography. But the book does use the tone and structure of a biographical picturebook!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and declare the 'Reality of Santa Claus' book its own genre. It's really unlike any other holiday or occasional books, especially in the way it walks a line between fiction and non-fiction. Each author makes up different facts for the Santa story, so 'fiction' right? But the biographical structures in these stories so often f
Lu Benke
There's that stage after a child has realized that there is no (spoiler alert!) and then they settle into enjoying being more sophisticated. This book allows them to do that in a way that I can see having several applications. Barrett does know how to tickle funny bones (Animals should definitely not wear clothing!), and she does that here with a flair. The humor comes out in the captions around photos, the understated explanations of each item connected to the story, and the prosaic life of San ...more
Jackie
A fun, new take on the story of Santa...his early years, his clever plans, and the tradition that each child looks forward to each and every year as Christmas rolls around.
Miranda Middleton
This tells a much different story of Santa than anything i've ever heard. It tells from beginning to end. I like this book because of it's unique storyline and the character development of Santa Claus.

I would use it during the Christmas season (:
Deanna
Dec 15, 2016 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darling story.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
A young boy was born in the hospital on December 25th. He had a number of crazy things that remind the reader of a particular Jolly Old Elf. For example this young Santa Claus plays with stuffed reindeer, carries sacks of things on his back, or building his own toys in his father’s workshop. Eventually he had so many toys that he started giving them away. Then he had to create a naughty and nice list to figure out who to give toys to. Then he had to limit it to only giving the toys away on his b ...more
Christine Turner
Everything you ever wanted to know about Santa, as told to the author of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by the big guy himself. As you might imagine, the early life of Santa Claus was a liiiiiiiittle different from the childhood of your average kid. His first words were "ho ho ho!" By five he was wearing a fake beard and mustache, and could rarely be found without his favorite stuffed reindeer. It was clear from a very young age that he was destined for uniqueness.... Despite this, his parent ...more
Barbara
This amusing picture book tells the origins of a young boy born in Cincinnati on December 25. Even from the first, this boy is clearly different and destined for great things. He loves jingle bells and stuffed reindeer, and decides to give away several toys to the neighborhood children once his room is too full to fit another toy. Young readers will smile and even laugh at his antics as well as enjoy trying to figure out just who this boy is. It couldn't really be Santa Claus, could it? Or could ...more
Yoo Kyung Sung
Apr 05, 2013 Yoo Kyung Sung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-ncbla
10 years ago talking about Christams in the US was not something people had to be careful..gradually we moved to say "happy holidays"... It is a creative idea to have Santa with local identifier with Cincinnati introducing a boy whose childhood is as fun as many of children with common environment like loving parents and friends who acknowledge his talent of making toys..

autobiographical writing would be introduced by this book .. I thought it was quite creative to make an autobiographical narr
Pam
Nov 26, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great new children's Christmas book from Judi Barrett, who also wrote the wonderful "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"! The story about Santa Claus being born and growing up in Cincinnati is a delight! The bright colorful illustrations by Kevin Hawkes are lots of fun and include much to get you in the mood for Christmas. The only disappointment I had with this book is that neither the author or illustrator are familiar with Cincinnati and as a result there is little included about this w ...more
IrenesBookReviews
This story is the authors’ view of how a boy named Santa became The Santa. It is a real entertaining story. I enjoyed the pictures and thought they really helped make the story more exciting. The story itself has some great moments. When you read about all the toys he makes as a young boy and how they fill up his house you can just imagine how much fun that would be! I gave this book 5/5 stars! A must read for any child (or parent) who is a fan of Santa!
Emily Steffen
"Santa from Cincinnati" makes the story of Santa Claus more relative and takes the fantasy of Santa out of the picture. The story tells of a boy who is seemingly normal, but ends growing up into the jolly man who supplies Christmas gifts. The author gives a realistic explanation of all of the traditions that surround Santa, from the sleigh to the North Pole toy shop. This cheerful story will enchant readers of all ages!
Amanda
Mar 15, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being from Ohio, I loved this book! I thought it was a great twist on a popular story, and I really enjoyed that the author talked about how Santa became Santa in a new perspective. I also liked that the author used some larger vocabulary words in a context that would help children learn (for example: "elaborate"). A great holiday story!
Lauren Miles
I love that this challenges the unbelieving child to think of Santa in a more realistic or possible manner. In this story, it almost makes sense. I appreciate the creativity of how Santa may have come to be. This is not the traditional story and may cause children to ponder a bit more on real or not real.
Katie Hall
Illustrator: Kevin Hawkes
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Date: October 2,2012
Genre: fiction
This book would be awesome for compare and contrasting. I would read this book and another book about where Santa Clause came from and have the students compare and contrast the two books.
Samantha
The story of the boy who grew up to become Santa Claus! Great read aloud. Illustrations are acrylics and cionsist of two page spreads and simulated scrapbook pages.

I loved the creative spin the author/illustrator team brought tio this book and it's sure to be a new Christmas classic!
Ingrid
I read this to a group of 1st graders and they gave it a resounding thumbs up! I wasn't as enthusiastic, but I'm not generally a fan of things Santa related. It is nice to have an alternate history of Santa and this is well done.
The Brothers
Mar 01, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, holidays, santa
Dex (5yo) really enjoyed this "back history" of Santa. Apparently, little boy Claus was raised in Cincinnati by some very normal parents. He shows some gift-making skills early on and goes on to college to discover his true calling.

Lovely illustrations.
Hapzydeco
This first person narrative tweaks the Santa Claus legend. A baby book, family photos, and a report card answer all the questions of why Santa is the man he is today. Kevin Hawkes' illustrations add to the fun.
Jen
Oct 27, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb
a little long for story time. I hadn't thought of how Santa might have been as a little kid. Obviously this is more of the idea of the American version of Santa Claus. Always a fan of Cincinnati. The map was correct on the image where he had the pins on his wall.
Melissa
Kids will enjoy identifying familiar motifs in this origin story, but my heart belongs to Rankin-Bass and "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town."
Debby Baumgartner
Who knew that Santa came from Cincinnati. This story gives you the background of this fictional story.
Margie
Nov 08, 2012 Margie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judi Barrett, author, and Kevin Hawkes, illustrator, have crafted a flawless holiday story filled with joy and humor.

My full review:http://bit.ly/RFSSEh
Nan
Dec 31, 2015 Nan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok. Didn't really resonate with me. Lots of details in the pictures for kids to catch and chuckle about.
Elisabeth
I was hoping for something a little more imaginative from the "Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs" lady.
Amy Carr
Dec 08, 2012 Amy Carr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is the book our family added to our Christmas book collection this year...really fun story and illustrations about Santa's "beginnings"...he grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio...who knew?!
ReadingWench
Santa in Cinsinnati is a different story on how Santa came to be the fantastic guy he is.

AR: Perfect for any child who believes
Gps
an imaginative take on the Santa Claus story, with a definite American perspective. a little too long for a read aloud at bedtime story.
Brindi
Yay! A book for kids in Ohio! This will work great for my "A Howland Christmas" program next December!
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 Olivia rated it liked it
There is a running theme with Santa origin stories that Santa was a VERY bizarre kid, still this story is charming. A good book for people who already live in Ohio, or better yet Cincinnati.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • I Got the Rhythm
  • Tools Rule!: with audio recording
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
Judi Barrett is the author of many well-loved books for children, including Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Pickles to Pittsburgh, Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing, and Things That Are Most in the World. She teaches art to kindergarten students at a school in her Brooklyn, New York, neighborhood. And she usually doesn't mind going to the dentist!
More about Judi Barrett...