Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters

Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  112 reviews
We all know “there’s no such thing as monsters,” but our imaginations tell us otherwise. From the mythical beasts of ancient Greece to the hormonal vampires of the Twilight saga, monsters have captivated us for millennia. Matt Kaplan, a noted science journalist and monster-myth enthusiast, employs an entertaining mix of cutting-edge research and a love of lore to explore t...more
Published October 23rd 2012 by Scribner (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite

Wren
I really wanted to like this book. I was psyched to hear Matt Kaplan on NPR and put my name in at the library so I was the first person to get it.

I should have quit early on. It got incredibly repetitive, had such snarky and completely unnecessary (but also incredibly predictable and unoriginal) footnotes that they tipped the book into Just Plain Bad territory. Considering how often Kaplan repeated himself, I wondered why he didn't combine a lot of his sections. Perhaps the book would have stood...more
Doc Opp
Monsters, it turns out, evolve over time. Vampires didn’t always sparkle, zombies didn’t always crave the taste of human brains, and until very recently dementors didn’t even exist. Why is it that the monsters that left people shivering in terror during the bronze age are so different than the monsters of the industrial revolution, which in turn are so different from the monsters today? As society changes, the things that people fear change, and thus popular monsters change as well. In his first...more
Kathryn Knight
This book is amazing. The author presents plausible scientific information explaining why ancient civilizations believed in different monsters as well as why the same monsters lost their ability to scare over time. His wittiness breaks up the sometimes dry period of scientific data and several times throughout the nook made me laugh out loud. This is a definite must-read for anyone who wants to know where myths and legends came from....even if you still want to believe at the end.
Doug Clark
Medusa’s Gaze and Vampire’s Bite by Matt Kaplan (2012) was one of those impulse buys one makes when seeing an interesting title in a bookstore. Subtitled The Science of Monsters, I flipped through it at the bookstore and thought that it would be an interesting read. And in many ways, it was. However, I found there were areas, sources, and promised material that were either missing entirely or only very briefly covered. Because of my own hopes and subsequent disappointment, I can only recommend t...more
Alex
Oct 28, 2012 Alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alex by: Casey Josephine
Casey recommends this: "It's called Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters, and it traces the scientific origins of monster myths (including Frankenstein!). Anyway, I haven't read it yet, but it's at the top of my TBR, since it sounds pretty awesome (also, I chatted with the author for a bit, and he was really cool). "

Some other dude says it combines literature, history and science and that's okay with him, and you know what THAT'S OKAY WITH ME TOO.
Chris
The theme and thesis of this volume is to illustrate the science background or mysteries that gave rise to various myths and legends from pre history to modern times. Kaplan starts very strongly, but I found the second half of this book to be slightly weaker and less interesting than the first. This could be because I have read Paul Barber’s book on Vampires and death, a book that Kaplan draws on, but I honestly thought the alien chapter was really unnecessary.

What are fascinating are the condi...more
Jessica
Matt Kaplan does a really nice job balancing the scientific fact and evidence he presents with a sociological and psychological view of how these monsters have been depicted in art, film, and literature/fiction. He gives a broad overview which helps the reader make connections between seemingly different monsters, although I do wish there was more detail for each section. I could have kept on reading his clean prose, fascinating research, and humorous footnotes.
Angie
An entertaining, accessible, informative read that attempts to explain the scientific and psychological foundations of our most enduring monsters. I enjoyed its light tone and quick pace, found some of the history and science to be quite fascinating, and loved all of the pop culture references and snarky asides. Kaplan is certainly an entertaining author. Not the heaviest or most impressive of texts, but a diverting read.
Margaret Sankey
One of my favorite themes--what might have actually been behind myths and folklore? Kaplan hits the usuals, vampires and rabies, sleep atonia and sex demons, toad neurotoxins and berkerkers and zombies. A lot of his work borrows heavily from Adrienne Mayor's The First Fossil Hunters to explain classical monsters, but he comes up with some novels ideas--Pegasus may have been the fossil of a dead horse being eating in a tar pit by a vulture, the Minotaur's roars may have been tectonic plates, that...more
Carolyn
This was a fun, fast read and I certainly learned some new things about the history of monsters - particularly about zombie-makers in Haiti. I had no idea zombie legends could have a pretty solid basis in history and science (Zora Neale Hurston did though, apparently). A lot of the science and theory behind it is probably guesswork anyone with a little understand of evolution and human psychology could propose, but it was still interesting. I don't think James Cameron's Avatar was as much as a r...more
peaseblossom
This is a laughably simplistic book that purports to explore 'scientific explanations' for our fascination with, and fear of, monsters. It fails because the 'explanations' are extremely reductionist and abjectly stupid. Snakes + underground natural gas deposits = dragons. Rabies + tuberculosis = vampires, werewolves, *and* zombies. Tar pits are responsible for all monsters that have the head of one thing and the body of something else, and sleep paralysis causes demons, spirits, ghosts and haunt...more
Vanessa
4.5

Oh man, this was a GREAT book to savor little by little. If you've ever been curious about the roots and history of monsters and modern-day scientific explanations for where some of these age-old superstitions come from, you must pick this up!

I felt like Matt Kaplan was writing one long college essay uncovering the truth behind all manner of unnatural beings, which actually made it even MORE enjoyable. He's a scientist, but he cuts through the minutia and academic tone to bring you something...more
Deniz Cem Önduygu
Although many of the explanations Kaplan gives for the features of monsters are far-fetched and the second half of the book seems somewhat incomplete/hurried, this is very enjoyable and light reading for people interested in monsters of all kinds. Speculations about specific features of monsters aside, the major insight on the historical reversal of monster roles between creatures and humans – hinted throughout the book and explicitly formulated in the Conclusion chapter – is definitely worth th...more
Peter Vicaire
This was a pretty enjoyable book. It was like a cross between "Mythbusters" and "Destination Truth" TV shows in book form. Matt Kaplan goes about trying to explain the origins of monsters from classic times to more modern day incarnations - and does so through some interesting (if not sometimes stretched) theories based on science and deduced by basic logic and seemingly on-target assumptions. Some of his footnotes, although unneeded, are pretty funny. All in all, a fun read.
Angelina
I love this book! I am going to buy it. I love the way the author connects natural phenonmena with what people believe about it. This goes way beyond "Zeus is angry; that's why there's lightning." It is fascinating stuff. Favorite part? How scientists experimented on the mating habits of booby birds by kidnapping females who had already mated and coloring their naturally blue feet gray, which relates to deadbeat dads, which relates to vampires. Who knew?
Larry Cunningham
This was an entertaining and intermittently educational discourse on monsters in myth and fiction. I found it covered the topic rather superficially (not unexpected in a book that tries to cover such a broad topic in just over 200 pages), but overall it was well worth reading. His discussion of the movie Avatar was a highlight; I thought he captured the spirit and logic of the story better than most others have.
Emily
A very interesting book on the inspiration of monsters throughout time: from the chimera and similar Greek monsters to Ridley Scott's Aliens. In addition to the titular monsters, Kaplan covers rocs, dragons, werewolves, Frankenstein, ghosts, King Kong, zombies, dinosaurs, sharks, lions, and many more. He explores literature from ancient mythology to Harry Potter. His writing is engaging and at times laugh out loud funny.
Katie
This book offers interesting insight into why creature myths and folklore developed in ancient societies. It spans a wide range of "creatures" such as the chimera to golems to vampires. I recommend it to anyone who likes archaeology, history, mythology, and anthropology. The author is very well informed and droll. It is obvious he spent a long time researching the book.
David
It was a competent introduction to the subject. However, this read more like a magazine article than a scholarly analysis of the topic.

There should be little surprise in this given that the author is a science journalist. In the end, though, I felt more substance was needed and never brought to bear.

Good introduction to the topic but not penetrating.
Mark Flowers
I kind of completely loved this. Not to everyone's tastes, and there's quite a bit of speculation and always-suspect evolutionary psychology, but I just didn't care. I love monsters, history, and science, and this book blended them all.

And here's the SLJ review: http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/...
Jessica
Speculative theories on what has inspired the monsters in our literature, folklore and art. At first, I was put off by the speculative nature of the "science;" then, I just decided it wasn't a science read. It was interesting to me - particularly the theories about nightmares, ghosts, vampires and werewolves. And, his footnotes are funny and fun.
Leslie
I originally thought I would give this book 3 stars, but it got better as it went on. I think the author stretches a bit in his attempts to find a real world source for every aspect of every "monster," but he does a good job in looking at the fears that inspire them and also tracing them to their modern incarnations.
Melany
If you've ever wondered why there are no scary movies about Minotaur or a Griffon then this is the book for you. This book is an enjoyable read to understand how the things that frighten us has changed from what lurks in the forest to what lurks within ourselves. What are you afraid of...read the book!
Charlene
What a great book! It's educational and fun and written with a unique voice! The author really knows his stuff and did his research. The book covers a vast collection of old myths, new myths, and the origin of everything in between. I highly recommend this book.
Jessica
A good survey of a variety of monsters explored in order of their appearance in culture, from the Nemean lion to dragons to vampires to aliens. The footnotes are amusing and Kaplan draws from a variety of sources. An easy and enjoyable read.
Bri
I really enjoyed this book. The topic is fascinating and Kaplan's writing style is highly entertaining. (Gotta love an author who includes a footnote that simply reads: "Boom!")
Shana Dennis
I love how he had a lot of interesting theories about the origins of different monsters but was never so egotistical that he said he was absolutely right.
Steven
An interesting book, though the subtitle might have been more accurate if it was "the psychology of monsters," or at least "the science and pscyhology..."

Kaplan takes a look at monsters that have captured the human imagination from ancient times up through today's cinematic terrors. He groups them into categories -- monsters created by the gods to terrorize humans (or at least teach them a lesson), mysterious beasts that lurk in the shadows, transformed humans like vampires and werewolves, human...more
Bill Holmes
Matt Kaplan's "Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters" is an engaging, lightweight survey of the origins of various mythical monsters like the Minotaur, Rok, Medusa, dragons, demons, vampires, ghosts, spirits and others. This is not a book about crytpozoology, and scarcely a word is said of Nessie, Bigfoor, Yeti or other modern legends. Instead, Kaplan's book is a fun romp with lots of speculation about how beasts as diverse as fire-breathing dragons and Frankenstein's Monster...more
Megan
Make no mistake-this is no hard-hitting, super-dense and ultra-enlightening science writing. It is pretty much theories and convenient explanations for why the human imagination may have shaped its monsters as it did. A good chunk of it is likely true, or at least the explanations appear to be the most likely based on what we currently know (in my very humble opinion). Fun stuff, for sure, but quite a bit of it could fall apart under a good magnifying glass. Certain theories are provided and the...more
  • Monsters of the Sea
  • The Rocks Don't Lie: A Geologist Investigates Noah's Flood
  • Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter
  • The 7 Laws of Magical Thinking: How Irrational Beliefs Keep Us Happy, Healthy, and Sane
  • Adventures among Ants: A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions
  • Weird Life: The Search for Life That Is Very, Very Different from Our Own
  • Ignorance: How it drives science
  • The Philadelphia Chromosome: A Mutant Gene and the Quest to Cure Cancer at the Genetic Level
  • No Time to Lose: A Life in Pursuit of Deadly Viruses
  • The Man Who Lied to His Laptop: What We Can Learn about Ourselves from Our Machines
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • On Monsters: An Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears
  • The First Fossil Hunters: Paleontology In Greek And Roman Times
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • Nothing: From Absolute Zero to Cosmic Oblivion - Amazing Insights into Nothingness
  • Frankenstein's Cat: Cuddling Up to Biotech's Brave New Beasts
  • Reflections on the Dawn of Consciousness: Julian Jaynes's Bicameral Mind Theory Revisited
  • How to Build a Dinosaur: Extinction Doesn't Have to Be Forever
David Attenborough's First Life: A Journey Back in Time with Matt Kaplan Linking Lifetimes: A Global View Of Intergenerational Exchange Side By Side: Exploring Your Neighborhood Through Intergenerational Activities: A Curriculum Guide David Attenborough's First Life: A Journey Back in Time with Matt Kaplan