Start by marking “Hildilid's Night” as Want to Read:
Hildilid's Night

Hildilid's Night

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In this Caldecot Honor folktale, an old woman named Hildilid lives high in the hills and hates the night above all things. She tries capturing the night in a sack, tying it up with vines, shaking her fist at it, but the night takes no notice--until it disappears. Full color.
Published June 1st 1996 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Hildilid's Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hildilid's Night

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsStone Soup by Marcia Brown
Caldecott Honor Books
114th out of 247 books — 172 voters
The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David Wiesner
List for #nerdcott
173rd out of 335 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Yi
May 26, 2012 Yi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thought after reading this little volume was - what an odd little story. Then it came to me - this poor little woman spent all her energy and creativity towards getting rid of what she hated the most, the dark night; when the sun was finally out, she had no strength left to enjoy what she loved, the bright day.
Evan
Jan 11, 2014 Evan rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-niños, fiction
This children's picture book written by Cheli Durán Ryan & illustrated by Arnold Lobel intrigued me because of the minimalist cover which features the protagonist Hildilid running through the pitch dark night, holding a shawl over her head as it flaps in the wind like Superman's cape. Everything about the cover seems quite minimalist, from the capitalized font to the lone moon on the black background to the hatching technique used by Lobel to compose Hildilid & her environment. Even the ...more
Jfrlewis
May 30, 2009 Jfrlewis rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is great - a reminder that we sometimes spend so much time fighting things and complaining that we miss the things for which we hope.
Sam
Sep 23, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecott
1972 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: I love Hildilid's look of determination when she is trying to boil away the night!
This was a silly little tale of a woman who works very hard to get rid of the night. Although the story was light-hearted, it could easily be viewed with the moral that if we focus too much on hating the thing we dislike, we won't have the time or energy (or may miss entirely) the thing we enjoy most.
The illustrations in this tale are perfect for the story - the black a
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 26, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
Hildilid is a solitary old woman who lives in a hut on a mountain, and she hates the night. One night, she decides to attempt to get rid of it, musing, "I do not know why no one has thought of chasing away the night before." So she commences a multitude of strategies: she sweeps, scrubs, scours, whisks at the night, with no result. She sews a sack to capture the night, but cannot get it all in. She singes it with a candle, but it skips outside her hut. And so her antics continue through the nigh ...more
Myrza
Jun 17, 2012 Myrza rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Ryan, C. D. (1971). Hildilid's Night. New York, NY: Macmillan Publishing Company.

Black and white illustrations might not be good for all books, but in the story of “Hildilid’s Night” by Cheli Durán Ryan, Illustrated by Arnold Lobel the choice was very suitable. I really enjoyed the illustrations of black ink type drawings. It really lend it self to the story of the old woman that was fighting the night away. Each drawing captured the various ways the old woman attempted to fight the night. From
Matthew
Apr 07, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
Book has a mixed of pages with varying lengths of texts per page. Some have 3 lines others have two lines, others with one. Then there is a page with 10 or more! That one pages and a few others might stress out weaker readers. Illustrations are nice. Lots of alliteration within text, lists with commas and few quotes. Story was cute and fun. Story is simple but enjoyable. Makes a good bed time reader. Very imaginative story.
Mitchell
Mar 15, 2015 Mitchell rated it really liked it
Caldecott Honor Award Winning storybook. With beautiful woodcuts. This one is a silly tale of an old woman trying to defeat night. It is a completely different type of bed time story. But the text is very well done. And it ends well. The copy I read definitely could have felt more love. It was a flimsy low quality paperbook. This book could have used a more rich binding.
Garrett Ellis
May be a good book for a child who is afraid of something! Could also be a good lead for a writing prompt about what the children are afraid of.
Rachel
This was a very strange book. I will admit that I probably would’ve never picked it up had it not won a 1972 Caldecott Honor. It is about a woman named Hildilid (which took me forever to figure out how to pronounce) who lives in England and doesn’t like the night. She spends the book trying various ways to get rid of it, resulting in her being so tired that she sleeps throughout the day (which she had been trying to get back into the whole time). The black and white illustrations, done by Lobel, ...more
Beverly
Jul 28, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This is a humorous tale of a woman who tries every way she can think of to get rid of the night. Arnold Lobel's illustrations are all black and white--pen and ink drawings. The only bit of color comes at the end of the book when the sun--a bright yellow/orange--starts to rise. The illustrations are of various sizes and set inside frames; depicting the many ways she tries to banish the night. But when day finally arrives, she is too exhausted to stay up and enjoy it!
Caldecott Honor, 1972
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it
This funny little book is about a lady who is tired of the night time. She tries many things to get rid of the night but nothing seems to work. When night finally starts to disappear, she is tired and falls asleep, but when she wakes up it will be night again.
This is a great book to get on the topic of there being twenty-four hours in a day and how many consist of night and day. It is also a great topic start of the earth rotating.
Connie
Sep 19, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
Hildilid is afraid of the night. Poor her.

So one night she tries *everything* to chase the night away - she spits at it, feeds it to her dog, ties it up, brews it, sings it a lullaby.... Of course, she can't - and, naturally, she falls asleep just as the sun comes up. (But she has to be rested tomorrow night, doesn't she?)

The illustrations are just detailed enough, and the text has a nice quiet humor to it.
Feb 09, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
I don't know what former WT volunteer came and left all of these Caldecott Honor books in my classroom, but whoever and wherever you are, thank you. Aside from the charming illustrations, the story itself could benefit most grown-ups I know.
Elly Squire
Dec 17, 2010 Elly Squire rated it really liked it
Shelves: eled-340
I love this book! It is about a sweet little lady who doesn't like the night and does all she can to make it go away. I think this would be fun to read with the kids and discuss why she might not like night. It could be because she is afraid of the dark. You could use this to talk about fears or about things we simply might not like, expressing feelings.
John
Jan 05, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Caldecott Honor Book, 1972

Favorite illustration: page 22

Art Medium: Pen and ink, yellow overlays

Favorite line: "Hildilid sang it lullabies, poured it a saucer of milk, shook her fist at it, smoked it in the chimney, stamped on it, spanked it, dug a grave for it, and she even--I am sorry to say--spat at the night."

Tyrone Hardy
Apr 22, 2013 Tyrone Hardy rated it really liked it
This book was very weird. I do think it would be great for telling kids to be happy with who they are and what they have. Hildilid spent her time and energy literally fighting at the night, even spitting at it at one point. This book is excellent at teaching the lesson of being happy with the way things are.
Paul
Dec 03, 2012 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great pen-and-ink drawings and amusing story line in verse that depicts in a light-handed way the cost of wearing yourself out by opposing something and missing the benefits of life. Maybe too philosophical - young readers probably won't get it.
Lobstergirl
Aug 04, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-books
A fairytailish story in which an old woman who hates the night tries about 17 different ways to get rid of it. Arnold Lobel's pen and ink drawings are nice. The last three have a yellow overlay, as the sun rises over Hildilid's cottage.
Samantha
May 12, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Hildilid hates the night and dreams up many, many ways to try to get rid of it. When at least she decides to turn her back on the night the sun begins to rise. Great story, black and white etchings support text. Great read aloud. Must see.
Andd Becker
Sep 24, 2013 Andd Becker rated it it was ok
Arnold Lobel illustrated this Caldecott Honor book with pen-and-ink drawings. Do children like illustrations in black and white? There is a nonblackandwhite pic at the end, but...
Lafcadio
Jan 04, 2013 Lafcadio rated it liked it
The black and white illustrations are perfect for this story. I loved that Hildilid finally slept through the day to be ready to fight the night all over again.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Hildilid's Night by Cheli Duran Ryan

Folklore about an old lady doing silly things to get rid of night, including shaking her fist at it.
Brindi
Jul 10, 2013 Brindi rated it really liked it
1972 Caldecott honor

this picture book is quite humorous, with great illustrations... laughing out loud.
Alysia
Jul 10, 2011 Alysia rated it liked it
Shelves: ede-8463
Fairy tale-ish book about a woman who tries to get rid of the night. Beautiful sketch illustrations
Peacegal
Jan 28, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
3.5 stars - There's no fighting the night.
Danielle
Apr 09, 2013 Danielle added it
Shelves: picture-books
Intriguing and food for discussion.
Jim
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • In the Forest
  • Fly High, Fly Low
  • A Very Special House
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • Mice Twice
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)
  • The Judge: An Untrue Tale