Start by marking “I Loathe You: with audio recording” as Want to Read:
I Loathe You: with audio recording

I Loathe You: with audio recording

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Unconditional loathing is monsterly love in this sweetly humorous story with audio.

Just how much does Big Monster loathe Little Monster? Let it count the ways....

I loathe you more than tooth decay
More than blizzard snow in May
More than garbage in a dump
More than splinters in my rump
No matter what, through thick and thin, I loathe you there and back again!

Author and il
Published December 18th 2012 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about I Loathe You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Loathe You

babyhippoface
ADORABLE. In a nasty, ugly, opposite-of-everything sort of way. Clever, and just adorable.

Little Monster quizzes Big Monster on how much he is loved--whoops, I mean loathed, which, in the monster world, is the same thing as loved, apparently. Big Monster happily reassures Little Monster that he is loathed "more than chicken pox, more than stinky, sweaty socks. More than garbage in a dump, or splinters sticking in my rump". Wow. That's a lot.

Big Monster lets Little know that nothing he could ev
Kathryn
A funny, cute twist on the traditional "I'll always love you" picture books, this features a parent and child monster talking about their deep and everlasting loathing for one another. They loathe one another more than all the remarkably disgusting (aka "wonderful" in a monster's view) things in the world! Awwwe ;-)
Dolly
Mar 27, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous take on familial feelings featuring monsters. Children will giggle as the story features words that are the opposite of those used in typical books describes the love between a parent and child. The illustrations are colorful and the monsters are not scary at all, in fact they are quite adorable.

We enjoyed reading this book together, despite the fact that the book is probably a bit too young for our girls. The rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and is a refreshing break f
Samra
This is adorable and rhymes.
Angela
A fun tongue-in-cheek twist on the I LOVE YOU SO MUCH genre of picture books. It's rare I find one of these I like and this one was done well enough to make that stringent cut. Fun, monsterous illustrations top off this play on an endless, tired theme.
Dayne
Since I write and illustrate children's books myself, I am very critical of some picture books. This book was a pleasant surprise. I absolutely loved it. The word "loathe" was a hard one to swallow at first, but the turnaround was handled so cleverly. An unconventional way of teaching about unconditional love. The illustrations are bright, fun and absolutely perfect.
Cassie Iturrino
I am sorry but I have to disagree with the 96% of the people who liked this book. In today's society, having someone say that they loathe someone else is not appropriate. Isnt there enough hatred and loathing in this world that we dont have to teach it to our children as a bedtime story? Regardless if it is a story about monsters or not, to deem it as an endearing quality and a form of "love" is misleading. I would be upset if someone told my child that the loathed them because it was in a bedti ...more
Emily
A fun twist for Valentine's Day - "I loathe you" is exactly what baby monster wants to hear. The writing rhymes and would be fun to read with different voices for your read aloud. Will use for a creative writing prompt...
Angie
A fun alternative to the I love you books out there. This is the monster version!
Jeanne
Little Monster needs a little reassurance that Big Monster will loathe him, no matter what. Even if he doesn't stink or have fleas or warts or accidentally says thank you.

Cute book. Funny. Illustrations fit right in. Good for your little monster who might be getting too big for Guess How Much I Love You (but still needs to hear it).
Debbie
I liked the clever backwards language in this book, but I think my son didn't quite understand that it was kind of a big long joke, from a human's point of view. We did talk about what the word "loathe" means, though, and we talked about how the monsters seem to love each other, rather than hate each other, so maybe he got the basic idea in the end.
Rebecca
ADORABLE! "Did you not hear what I just said? Nice or nasty, kind or mean, I loathe you up, down, and between. From your horns down to your claws, you're mine, I loathe you just because - Snout to tail, scales and fuzz, always will be, always was."

I will definitely be reading this one for storytime!
Brindi
i'm torn deciding whether or not this is suitable for PSST. I don't think the kids will get the humore of "I LOATHE You" and will need some explaining. I think it's cute but may result in a bad sarcastic habit parents won't like or kids won't know when to use. Hmmmm....
Leona
love slonim! his sense of humor is great for older storytime kids and lower elementary kids. this is a great choice for kids who don't like mushy love talk. the same message gets across--families love each other no matter what--but in a funny and twisted way.
Natalie Mcadams
It doesn't get any cuter than a father monster and his little monster trying to out do one another as they describe how much they loathe each other. Full of cute illustrations and belly laughs, you and your 5-7 year old will be sure to love this offbeat loathe story.
Jackie
Little Monster wants to know...how much do you loathe me? In a twist on unconditional love, Big Monster lets little monster just how very much he means to him. A giggle-fest for Valentine's Day, with wonderfully expressive illustrations.
Alice
This is the greatest Valentine's Day book I have ever read. Monsterly Love is "I loathe you" So great. I don't know if kids will get, or appreciate but I thought it was exceptional. Unconditional monster love "I LOATHE YOU TOO"
Samantha
Monsters don't say "I love you" they say "I loathe you." This fun read aloud counts the ways in which Little Monster and Big Monster loathe each other.

Think McBratney's "Guess How Much I Love You," but substitute monsters.
Shanda Kinkade
This book was sweet and different. In the monster world, you want to be loathed instead of loved. So instead of loving someone more that clouds in the sky, you loathe them more than the chicken pox. Charming!
Dee
Dec 18, 2012 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Donna
Shelves: children-s-books
Now I know I am a sick puppy but this book made me laugh out loud. Would I read this to my child as they lay down for a long winter's nap? Probably not but still some kids would enjoy the irony of it all.
Katie Walton
I plan to own this one day for my children. There are plenty of sappy stories about love, but in this one the monsters loathe one another a whole lot and that's a very reassuring thing for the little monster.
Michele
The illustrations are wonderful - very cute! While an adult will understand this, I'm not sure a child would. I don't see it being a good book for storytime. Maybe one-on-one with an older child.
Suse
Big Monster and Little Monster share with each other exactly how much they "Loathe" each other.

Just so stinkin cute. The monsters are adorable and I just want to hug them.

Sharper1
Mar 28, 2013 Sharper1 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love children's books for adults and have odd senses of humor
This one is really cute. Think of the polar opposite of Guess How Much I Love You, make it rhyme, and cast monsters for the characters. Funny!
Mari
This is an "I love you THIIIIS much!" book. However, since the parent and child are monsters, loathe fills in for love. Cute, silly, and gross.
LOVE!! I'll be using this book in my MDLV literacy class when we do our "Love it or Loathe it" writing activity. A perfect little book!
Elisabeth
Once we talk about what "loathe" means I think preschoolers will get and enjoy the jokes. Will try it out for Valentine's Day!

Lizzie
Clever twist on the "how much do I love?" theme. Plenty of goofiness and gross. Would be fun for Vday and Halloween read out loud.
pati
I "loathe" this book...it is monstrously wonderful! Great art and rhyme...I will seek out more books by Mr. Slonim for sure!
Margaret
Right up there with I LOVE YOU STINKY FACE and GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU- kids will ask to have it read again and again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Love Monster
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Carnivores
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • hello! hello!
  • I'm Bored
  • Again!
  • The Monsters' Monster
  • Ol' Mama Squirrel
  • Sleep Like a Tiger
  • Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • The Monstore
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Little Owl's Orange Scarf
  • Monster Needs a Costume
David Slonim is an award-winning illustrator of many children’s books, including The Deer Watch by Pat Lowery Collins. He lives with his wife, four kids, and a dog named Maggie in Indiana.
More about David Slonim...
He Came with the Couch Patch Oh, Ducky!: A Chocolate Calamity I Loathe You: with audio recording Upchuck and the Rotten Willy