The Man Who Turned Both Cheeks: A Novel

The Man Who Turned Both Cheeks: A Novel (Shad #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  5 reviews
PICTURESQUE AND IMPOVERISHED Largo Bay is the background for this explosive novel about love and fear, the second in Gillian Royes’s mystery series featuring Shad, a Jamaican bartender-detective. With the arrival of Joseph, estranged son of Eric, the bar’s owner, hopes for the village’s future come alive but are soon to be threatened. Janna, w...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Turned Both Cheeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Turned Both Cheeks

Amy Lignor
Taking place in the stunning surroundings of Largo Bay, Jamaica, this second novel in Royes’ series is even more interesting than the first, as it delves into the true human vice of intolerance.

We begin with the familiar character of Shad Myers. First introduced in, “The Goat Women of Largo Bay,” Shad is a bartender and ‘unofficial investigator’ who helps interpret Jamaican culture. Sadly for Shad, Largo Bay is no longer the ‘in’ spot and most of the younger generation is now heading off to King...more
Barrett King
***I received this book as part of a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Thanks to Atria for the copy. Please note that this was an advanced copy uncorrected for proofs, so the quotes may not be totally accurate.***

The Man Who Turned Both Cheeks is the second book in a series featuring Shadrack Myers. Admittedly I did not read the first book, although if I can get my hands on a copy, I plan to. I won't go into a summary of the plot since the description above does a decent job of it.

At first I had d...more
Lorca Damon
Part mystery, part expose’, and part travelogue, The Man Who Turned Both Cheeks (Atria) is the second book from Gillian Royes featuring the bartender Shadrack from Largo Bay, Jamaica. Every bit as suspenseful as the first book, this second fiction titles from Royes takes the reader places–both geographical and spiritual–that he never expected.

When Shad’s employer Eric wants to rebuild some of the town business after Hurricane Albert destroyed the hotel, he looks to his long-parted son Joseph to...more
Harvee
A sobering expose of intolerance that mars this beautiful island and keeps some visitors away. Interesting and poignant novel with a story that is as revealing as it is disturbing.
Jennifer Goudreau
Jan 13, 2013 Jennifer Goudreau marked it as to-read
I still have not got my book
Damali
Damali added it
Jul 22, 2014
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Feb 16, 2014
Cnorlien
Cnorlien marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Bonnie/Michael
Bonnie/Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Louise Gobron
Louise Gobron marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Donna Drew Sawyer
Donna Drew Sawyer marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Tracy
Tracy is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2013
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gillian Royes was born in Kingston, Jamaica. She attended Colorado College and later went on to the University of Wisconsin and Emory University, where she earned a doctorate in American Studies. Royes is the author of The Goat Woman of Largo Bay, Business Is Good, and Sexcess: The New Gender Rules at Work. She lives in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
More about Gillian Royes...
The Goat Woman of Largo Bay: A Novel The Sea Grape Tree: A Novel (Shad Myers) The Sea Grape Tree: A Novel