Start by marking “Living with Honor: A Memoir by America's First Living Medal of Honor Recipient Since the Vietnam War” as Want to Read:

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A compelling memoir from a true hero—and one of the few living persons to ever be awarded the celebrated Medal of Honor.Sal Giunta was just a regular kid from Iowa when he enlisted in the army to figure out what to do with his life. He never thought that a few tours of duty later, he would be the first living person since the Vietnam War to be awarded the esteemed Medal of ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Threshold Editions (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Living with Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with Honor

Kira
Few who return from fighting overseas are willing to open up about their experiences in-country. As a result, most of us, the everyday men and women that make up the bulk of America, are unaware of the daily sacrifices made by thousands of men and women who have chosen to defend the interests and the well-being of the American people. In his poignant memoir, Sal Giunta pays tribute to the men with whom he served and grants the world a rare peek at what it means to be a soldier who has seen multi ...more
Lisa Blair
On the same level as House to House by David Bellavia.

Living With Honor allows one to see the intensity of battle on the foreign soil of Afghanistan. Living With Honor also allows one to hear the intensity of pain as our soldiers process the loss of their buddies.

This is an honest re-telling of experiences faced on the battlefield and I am grateful to "know the truth" of what our soldiers have faced in our war on terror.

Warning: prolific use of foul language is the only negative

Quote: "I want pe
Derek
This memoir was well written. This is more than a book about the retelling of the battle in the Korengal Valley that led to Giunta receiving the Congressional Meal of Honor. I enjoyed the insight on life in an infantry unit and why some people enlist to fight. Giunta tells of daily life deployed and being in Afghanistan during the "forgotten years". I call this time period the forgotten years because the war in Iraq dominated the nightly news and news from Afghanistan was rare. Giunta reminds us ...more
Sheri Struk
Giunta writes about his early life and some of the decisions leading to his enlistment in the Army. Guinta describes his training and the significant relationships he develops during his time in the service. During his second deployment, he is in Afghanistan, a challenging assignment due to the daily gunfire, poor living conditions and extreme terrain. While returning from a mission one evening, Giunta and his team are ambushed resulting in casualties. During the ambush, Giunta engages in admira ...more
Mikey Heiser
Totally awesome book! I have read over three dozen books on the Afghan War, and this is one of the top five. It made me smile, it made me feel good and bad; it even brought me to tears. After reading this book; look up the author's name on youtube, and watch his Medal of Honor ceremony. Very moving; well worth the read!!!
Avolyn Fisher
If there is only one book that you read this year, make it this one. I laughed, I cried, and at times identified with Sal while he described growing up in Eastern Iowa and the high school we both went to. He speaks honestly and openly without filtering his true feelings about what he went through. He is humble and reluctantly accepts praise for what he has done for our country. More than anything I feel ashamed for being so ignorant about what our troops are doing overseas. Like most Americans I ...more
Ann
This was a very good book. My cousin served in Aghanistan in Battle Company with Giunta and was part of Operation Rock Avalanche. I already know some of his experiences during Rock Avalanche, so I wanted to read Giunta's as well. I can't help but compare this book to Lone Survivor since I read that one recently too. This book was so much better! Giunta comes across as humble, compassionate, and a very dedicated soldier. There was none of the arrogance and political bitching that was pervasive in ...more
Cheryl
A wonderfully written book ... so much so that I was willing to return it to my library late so I could finish it! This book is written in a manner that makes you feel like Sal is sitting right in front of you, telling you his story personally. Sal is brutally honest about everything, including his strengths and failures as well as his thoughts and feelings. This story is NOT written from a lofty, holier-than-thou, need-to "look" good-at-all-costs point of view, and it's not preachy or apologeti ...more
Wally Beddoe
“Damn The Valley”. Much like Sebastian Junger’s War and the Restrepo documentary, Living with Honor is a story of honor, sacrifice, and War in the Korengal Valley in Afghanistan. Army Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giunta was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during a Taliban ambush in the Korengal in 2007. A very well-written book, there is much insight into the life of a soldier in the Army, before and during a combat deployment. Sal Giunta is a true example of the patriotic and selfless me ...more
Craig Bowman
An excellent memoir of a soldier fighting in Afghanistan. It was a daunting task to deal with insurgents trying to kill you and locals you are trying to help that all look and dress the same. One point he drives home is he feels like everyone in his platoon involved in the fire fight were brave and fought equally well to him. He was just the chosen one to get the metal of honor. Too much to go into in this short review but suffice to say it was an excellent read.
Paul Arbogast
This is a book by Staff Sergeant Sal Guinta, the first living person in 40 years to be awarded the Medal of Honor. From what lead him to join the Army, through his training and two deployments, the second one being 15 months in a horrible place in Afghanistan. The second deployment being where he 'earned' the Medal of Honor. As he says, he doesn't feel that he is a 'hero', and he explains in his story how all the men there do things just as if not more 'heroic' than what the did. It gives a grea ...more
Karen
This is one of those books that everyone should read. It is about a soldier who lived through war in Afghanistan. It begins with his life as a young man and what led him to join the Army.
War changed him while serving in Afghanistan and his story is about serving in combat and how his Medal of Honor is something that he feels was not possible if not for all the other guys he was with at the time they were surrounded by enemy. It is about camaraderie that is so necessary for soldiers serving toge
Melissa Krcatovich
I found this a real eye opening read. Giunta accepts his award but doesn't feel he did anything any other soldier would not have done in his position. The book comes from a very humble, but very honest place.

The part that most struck me, was when he explained his transition back to civilian life. He is, as I said, very honest and open. Though he was not injured physically he admits that like many, he will carry instincts and psychological scars for a long time afterward. Reading about these exp
John
What a great book!! Giunta tells a compelling story about his service in Afghanistan and pays tribute to all those he served with. He is especially humble about receiving the Medal of Honor as the story of what took place takes up only a few pages in the book. He is brutally honest in his feelings about being in Afghanistan, about his mission there, and about the natives of that country. It wasn't what I expected, it was better than I expected! This is one soldier's story and it is a powerful on ...more
P.e.
A very good book. Mr.Giunta shares a lot about himself good and bad very honest. He also shares and wants men & wommen who. have served to get treated for PTSD. He is still living with that last battle and the loss of his friends but he making it work. Airborne are a tough and different breed. I am glad he talking and trying to help all the men & women coming back and who are here it is ok to ask for help. Great book about a living hero.
Patrick
The first living recipient of the War on Terror tells his story in this new book. And, it is well worth taking the time to read it. Sal Guinta tells his story: from his days growing up playing golf, to his first tour overseas, and finally the fateful battle on an Afghanistan hillside. Written on a level comparable to the superb Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell it is a powerful book.

You, and the rest of America, should read it.
Norm Minekime
This was an excellent book. It provided a soldier's view of the US Army today and a first person account of the War in Afghanistan. The book read like a long conversation with Sal Giunta. We really do not know what is happening with our fighting men and women today - the media coverage of current military action is poor at best. To find out what is really going on, we need to read books like this one. I highly recommend this book.
John
The author, Staff Sergeant Giunta, was the first living person to receive the Medal of Honor since the conclusion of the Vietnam War. This tells a complicated coming-of-age story and the common travails of U.S. soldiers stationed in the outposts of Afghanistan, concluding with a gripping retelling of the battle that led to his military awards. Great read.
Terri
Audiobook:

I loved the style of this memoir. Told with brutal honesty regarding what it was like to fight in Afghanistan! Beautifully written regarding a topic that must have been difficult for him to write about. A must read for anyone who enjoys memoirs!
Steve
Author Sal Giunta describes in graphic detail what life is like for our American soldiers in Afghanistan. He is a reluctant hero but one who has learned a lot of important life lessons the hard way. For the use of profanity, viewer discretion is advised!
Heather
Wow. There isn't much more to say other than I'm proud to live in a country where men such as Sal are fighting and dying for our country. This book is not just his story but a tribute to the soldiers who fought and sometimes died by his side.
Sara Clemenson
Unlike any book I have ever read but I enjoyed it very much. I appreciated Mr. Giunta's honesty about his time in the Army and the story he tells not only about himself but all who sacrifice for this country. Highly recommended.
Mark Conley
Good book that helps non-military people understand the horrible nature of war and how it's so different than the non-lethal world. Thank goodness for soldiers like Sal Guinta...bless every one of these men and women.
Julie
Speechless. Teary and overwhelmed and thankful to be educated on something that no matter what is shown over and over in the news, can hardly touch the unseen, the unspoken and the unknown by civilians about war.
Zjsdad
The majority of book discussed relationships & history between characters in book. Only a brief section was left to describe the actual battle for which the CMH was awarded.
Allison
A well flowing narrative that seems real. Not too offensive on what can be touchy subjects but not to politically correct either.
Russ
You know who Miley Cyrus is. Do you know who Sal Giunta is? You owe it to yourself to know.
David Thomas
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars. It's an excellent and very powerful read.
Sharon Peters
I didn't finish reading this book. Way too much swearing! How unfortunate.
Kevin Kennedy
Great book. True hero. Thinking of others before himself.
Comments/Opinions 2 8 Feb 11, 2013 07:08PM
  • Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War
  • My Share of the Task: A Memoir
  • The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor
  • No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger
  • House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
The Military Advantage (Military Advantage: The Military.com Guide to Military and Veteran Benefits) Military Advantage, 2011: The Military.Com Guide To Military And Veteran's Benefits (Military Advantage: The Military.Com Guide To Military &)