Start by marking “Helix Wars” as Want to Read:
Helix Wars

Helix Wars (Helix #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Helix Wars, sequel to the best-selling Helix is a fast-paced adventure novel about the ultimate threat to the Helix itself and to humanity, whose role it is to protect it.

The Helix: a vast spiral of ten thousand worlds turning around its sun. Aeons ago, the enigmatic Builders constructed the Helix as a refuge for alien races on the verge of extinction.

Two hundred years ag
Published September 25th 2012 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Helix Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helix Wars

Michael Hanscom
Jan 20, 2013 Michael Hanscom rated it liked it
First off, to borrow an old cliché, don't judge this book by its cover. The cover, of a suited warrior firing a laser rifle against a backdrop of explosions, gives the impression that this is a military sci-fi novel (a genre which I'm not terribly interested in). Instead, this book, the second in a series, has much more in common with Larry Niven's _Ringworld_, as it deals with the interplay between races on a giant helical constructed world, wrapped around a star like a slinky, with thousands o ...more
Keith
Dec 12, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it
I tore through the first Helix ravenously, was pretty blown away by the setting, the ideas and the rollicking pace. That pace is present again here, with things moving at the same action thriller clip, and it's a real page turner.

I missed the sense of awe and wonder in the first book, this is more of a slightly traditional actioner, but it was inevitable after the first book traded so well and heavily in the introduction of the world. It does mean that while the action is really gripping, there
Bruno Di Giandomenico
Jul 09, 2014 Bruno Di Giandomenico rated it really liked it
Welcome back to the worlds of the Helix. This time we get to know a little bit more about some of the races which populate some of the worlds. We come across the bad Sporrelli, who live in a dark and depressing world and are governed by a fascist dictatorship, hell bent on conquering a world with some metal.
We know the race which acts as Engineers and repairer of the Helix and a gentle and delicate race which give peace another meaning.
An earthling must wade among these races to fulfill his dest
Lee Pfahler
May 28, 2013 Lee Pfahler rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Eric Brown fans
Shelves: science-fiction
Not as good as Helix but still a good read.
Gave
May 16, 2013 Gave rated it really liked it
Better than Helix
Bob
Dec 08, 2012 Bob rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Sigh, very disappointing. First of all, this is a sequel, and I didn't read book 1, so maybe it's better if you've read the first one. The idea is an interesting one- a ringworld-type story- but I wasn't pulled into the story at all.

The big premise is that humans are made "peacekeepers" of this fantastic "ringworld"-type construct with thousands of alien races on it. Humans are demonstrating an astonishing, spectacular, incomprehensible incompetence at this job: one of the things that put me off
Robbo
May 04, 2014 Robbo rated it really liked it
Great characterisation of the main protagonists, Jeff Ellise a Human shuttle pilot and asking with two aliens Calla a healet and Kranda from a warrior race battle the Sporellis after they invade a peaceful works. An intergalactic roaf story. Worth reading as it's a good mix of action and personal triumphs with a cathartic conclusion. Begs a follow up.
Sander Bollen
Sep 03, 2015 Sander Bollen rated it liked it
Misses the sense of awe and wonder from Helix, but otherwise an enjoyable read.
Sa
Apr 30, 2015 Sa rated it liked it
Not bad, but I liked Helix more.
Lisa
Oct 07, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Sequel to Helix which I also enjoyed. Obviously there are some significant similarities to Ringworld but I am ok with that. It was a fun adventure and a great escape for the weekend.
Mike
Jan 20, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Brown has written some of my favorite books, but this isn't one of them. We do learn more about the helix itself, but the story had too many threads to be able to hang together and keep my interest.
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Jesse F
Jesse F marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Martyn
Martyn added it
Apr 03, 2016
Ben Wuellner
Ben Wuellner marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Dave Storey
Dave Storey rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Jonah Shafran
Jonah Shafran rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Dave Macnee
Dave Macnee rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Abraxas
Abraxas marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Fisch
Fisch rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Ryan Werth
Ryan Werth marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Emerson Guitar
Emerson Guitar marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Bernie
Bernie rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fountain of Age: Stories
  • Chimera (The Subterrene War, #3)
  • Harmony
  • Saturn Returns (Astropolis, #1)
  • Fire with Fire
  • The Creative Fire (Ruby's Song #1)
  • Age of Aztec
  • The Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire, #1)
  • Impulse (Lightship Chronicles #1)
  • The Not Yet
  • Angel Stations
  • Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait
  • Reach for Infinity
  • Metaplanetary
  • The Cold Between (Central Corps, #1)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Fallout (Haan, #2)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
Eric Brown's first short story was published in _Interzone_ in 1987, and he sold his first novel, _Meridian Days_, in 1992. He has won the British Science Fiction Award twice for his short stories and has published forty books: SF novels, collections, books for teenagers and younger children, and he writes a monthly SF review column for the _Guardian_.

He is married to the writer and medievalist Fi
More about Eric Brown...