Helix Wars

Helix Wars (Helix #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Helix Wars, sequel to the best-selling Helix is a fast-paced adventure novel about the ultimate threat to the Helix itself and to humanity, whose role it is to protect it.

The Helix: a vast spiral of ten thousand worlds turning around its sun. Aeons ago, the enigmatic Builders constructed the Helix as a refuge for alien races on the verge of extinction.

Two hundred years ag...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Solaris

Bruno Di Giandomenico
Welcome back to the worlds of the Helix. This time we get to know a little bit more about some of the races which populate some of the worlds. We come across the bad Sporrelli, who live in a dark and depressing world and are governed by a fascist dictatorship, hell bent on conquering a world with some metal.
We know the race which acts as Engineers and repairer of the Helix and a gentle and delicate race which give peace another meaning.
An earthling must wade among these races to fulfill his dest...more
Michael Hanscom
First off, to borrow an old cliché, don't judge this book by its cover. The cover, of a suited warrior firing a laser rifle against a backdrop of explosions, gives the impression that this is a military sci-fi novel (a genre which I'm not terribly interested in). Instead, this book, the second in a series, has much more in common with Larry Niven's _Ringworld_, as it deals with the interplay between races on a giant helical constructed world, wrapped around a star like a slinky, with thousands o...more
Bob
Sigh, very disappointing. First of all, this is a sequel, and I didn't read book 1, so maybe it's better if you've read the first one. The idea is an interesting one- a ringworld-type story- but I wasn't pulled into the story at all.

The big premise is that humans are made "peacekeepers" of this fantastic "ringworld"-type construct with thousands of alien races on it. Humans are demonstrating an astonishing, spectacular, incomprehensible incompetence at this job: one of the things that put me off...more
Robbo
Great characterisation of the main protagonists, Jeff Ellise a Human shuttle pilot and asking with two aliens Calla a healet and Kranda from a warrior race battle the Sporellis after they invade a peaceful works. An intergalactic roaf story. Worth reading as it's a good mix of action and personal triumphs with a cathartic conclusion. Begs a follow up.
Keith
I tore through the first Helix ravenously, was pretty blown away by the setting, the ideas and the rollicking pace. That pace is present again here, with things moving at the same action thriller clip, and it's a real page turner.

I missed the sense of awe and wonder in the first book, this is more of a slightly traditional actioner, but it was inevitable after the first book traded so well and heavily in the introduction of the world. It does mean that while the action is really gripping, there...more
Lisa
This was a fun read. Sequel to Helix which I also enjoyed. Obviously there are some significant similarities to Ringworld but I am ok with that. It was a fun adventure and a great escape for the weekend.
Mike
Brown has written some of my favorite books, but this isn't one of them. We do learn more about the helix itself, but the story had too many threads to be able to hang together and keep my interest.
Lee Pfahler
May 28, 2013 Lee Pfahler rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Eric Brown fans
Shelves: science-fiction
Not as good as Helix but still a good read.
Gave
Better than Helix
Thomas Brown
Thomas Brown is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2014
Gareth D.
Gareth D. marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Derek
Derek added it
May 25, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Megan Hodges
Megan Hodges marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Will
Will added it
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Eric Brown's first short story was published in _Interzone_ in 1987, and he sold his first novel, _Meridian Days_, in 1992. He has won the British Science Fiction Award twice for his short stories and has published forty books: SF novels, collections, books for teenagers and younger children, and he writes a monthly SF review column for the _Guardian_.

He is married to the writer and medievalist Fi...more
More about Eric Brown...
Helix Necropath (Bengal Station, #1) Xenopath (Bengal Station, #2) Kethani The Kings of Eternity