Start by marking “Helix Wars” as Want to Read:
Helix Wars

Helix Wars (Helix #2)

Helix Wars, sequel to the best-selling Helix is a fast-paced adventure novel about the ultimate threat to the Helix itself and to humanity, whose role it is to protect it.

The Helix: a vast spiral of ten thousand worlds turning around its sun. Aeons ago, the enigmatic Builders constructed the Helix as a refuge for alien races on the verge of extinction.

Two hundred years ag
Published September 25th 2012 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Helix Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helix Wars

Michael Hanscom
Jan 20, 2013 Michael Hanscom rated it liked it
First off, to borrow an old cliché, don't judge this book by its cover. The cover, of a suited warrior firing a laser rifle against a backdrop of explosions, gives the impression that this is a military sci-fi novel (a genre which I'm not terribly interested in). Instead, this book, the second in a series, has much more in common with Larry Niven's _Ringworld_, as it deals with the interplay between races on a giant helical constructed world, wrapped around a star like a slinky, with thousands o ...more
Keith
Dec 12, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it
I tore through the first Helix ravenously, was pretty blown away by the setting, the ideas and the rollicking pace. That pace is present again here, with things moving at the same action thriller clip, and it's a real page turner.

I missed the sense of awe and wonder in the first book, this is more of a slightly traditional actioner, but it was inevitable after the first book traded so well and heavily in the introduction of the world. It does mean that while the action is really gripping, there
Gave
May 16, 2013 Gave rated it really liked it
Better than Helix
Lee Pfahler
May 28, 2013 Lee Pfahler rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Eric Brown fans
Shelves: science-fiction
Not as good as Helix but still a good read.
Les
Jun 23, 2016 Les rated it liked it
Following on from the earlier book Helix, where a human starship crashes onto a huge and spectacular helix shaped construct containing thousands of worlds, Helix Wars continues the story a couple of hundred years later. It's a good yarn, no doubt about it, but this was definitely my least enjoyed Eric Brown story to date. The reason for this is not so much with the delivery, which is typically good, but I was surprised to find myself rushing a little and trying to avoid text skipping during a la ...more
Bob
Dec 08, 2012 Bob rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Sigh, very disappointing. First of all, this is a sequel, and I didn't read book 1, so maybe it's better if you've read the first one. The idea is an interesting one- a ringworld-type story- but I wasn't pulled into the story at all.

The big premise is that humans are made "peacekeepers" of this fantastic "ringworld"-type construct with thousands of alien races on it. Humans are demonstrating an astonishing, spectacular, incomprehensible incompetence at this job: one of the things that put me off
Bruno Di Giandomenico
Jul 09, 2014 Bruno Di Giandomenico rated it really liked it
Welcome back to the worlds of the Helix. This time we get to know a little bit more about some of the races which populate some of the worlds. We come across the bad Sporrelli, who live in a dark and depressing world and are governed by a fascist dictatorship, hell bent on conquering a world with some metal.
We know the race which acts as Engineers and repairer of the Helix and a gentle and delicate race which give peace another meaning.
An earthling must wade among these races to fulfill his dest
Robbo
May 04, 2014 Robbo rated it really liked it
Great characterisation of the main protagonists, Jeff Ellise a Human shuttle pilot and asking with two aliens Calla a healet and Kranda from a warrior race battle the Sporellis after they invade a peaceful works. An intergalactic roaf story. Worth reading as it's a good mix of action and personal triumphs with a cathartic conclusion. Begs a follow up.
Lisa
Oct 07, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Sequel to Helix which I also enjoyed. Obviously there are some significant similarities to Ringworld but I am ok with that. It was a fun adventure and a great escape for the weekend.
Mike
Jan 20, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Brown has written some of my favorite books, but this isn't one of them. We do learn more about the helix itself, but the story had too many threads to be able to hang together and keep my interest.
Barry F Seidman
Barry F Seidman rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Lt
Lt rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
JH Alexander
JH Alexander rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Krista
Krista rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Brent Huntsman
Brent Huntsman rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Geoff
Geoff rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Ming
Ming rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Vincent Archer
Vincent Archer rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2017
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
James
James rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Dale
Dale rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
the dread pirate roberts
the dread pirate roberts rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Gunnar Opsommer
Gunnar Opsommer rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Eschatologist
Eschatologist rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
dennis bridson
dennis bridson rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Paul Housley
Paul Housley rated it it was ok
May 12, 2015
Teya
Teya rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2015
Harry
Harry rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Chimera (The Subterrene War, #3)
  • Saturn Returns (Astropolis, #1)
  • Fountain of Age: Stories
  • Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1)
  • Age of Aztec
  • The Creative Fire (Ruby's Song #1)
  • Impulse (Lightship Chronicles #1)
  • Harmony
  • Angel Stations
  • The Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire, #1)
  • The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • The Cold Between (Central Corps, #1)
  • Sly Mongoose (Xenowealth, #3)
  • The Trials
  • Metaplanetary
  • Strike (Hit, #2)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
Eric Brown's first short story was published in _Interzone_ in 1987, and he sold his first novel, _Meridian Days_, in 1992. He has won the British Science Fiction Award twice for his short stories and has published forty books: SF novels, collections, books for teenagers and younger children, and he writes a monthly SF review column for the _Guardian_.

He is married to the writer and medievalist Fi
More about Eric Brown...