Start by marking “Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)

Pierced (Henning Juul #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The acclaimed author of Burned is back with more heart-stopping suspense in a gritty and thrilling sequel that pits Norwegian crime reporter Henning Juul against an international crime ring.

Oslo’s top investigative crime reporter Henning Juul is still haunted by the death of his son. Every time he looks in the mirror, he sees the scars from the horrible fire that killed hi
Published October 2nd 2012 by Atria Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pierced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pierced

Wendy Hines
I read Burned and just loved it - Enger's first novel. You don't have to read it to read Pierced, but crime reporter Henning Juul is back. He's still grieving for his son, who died in a house fire and he wants to know who killed him. Investigators deemed it accident, and Juul can't live with the guilt if that is really the case. So, when he gets a call from a man in prison who says he has information, if he helps find out who framed him, he doesn't even blink. He just dives right into the invest ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
2nd in series - the main character is Henning Juul - a crime journalist in Norway
Tore Pulle claims that he has been falsely accused of killing a man. Tore calls Henning from prison and tells him that he will give Henning information about the death of his son - if he will help him prove he is innocent of the murder he has been accused of

Seeking the potential "other person" who actually committed the murder, Henning goes to the Fighting Fit gym, where Tore and the murder victim both were members.
Christine
I should begin this by saying that I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book through the Goodreads.com First Reads program.

Henning Juul is an investigative reporter in Oslo, Norway who is recovering from a fire that burned him and took the life of his son. He does not believe the fire was an accident, and is trying to find out who set it and why. While investigating the fire, he is contacted by a convicted murderer who promises to give Henning information on what happened the night of th
Wim Krings
In het eerste boek met Henning Juul begint hij met werken na een afwezigheid van twee jaar om de dood van zijn zoontje te verwerken. Hij geeft zichzelf de schuld van de dood na een brand in zijn flat. Ook in dit boek heeft hij er nog erg veel moeite mee. Dan vraagt een veroordeelde Tori Pulli om hem te helpen om te bewijzen dat hij onschuldig is. Als tegenprestatie krijgt hij dan informatie over de dood van zijn zoon na de brand.

Henning's beeld wordt daardoor weer volledig overhoop gegooid. Wat
Hana Howard
Pierced is a spectacularly plotted mystery novel with the author in full control. He adeptly leads the reader into a maze of suspenseful situations. Enger's capability in developing realistic characters and dialogue is similar in style to Steig Larsson's.

Investigating reporter Henning Juul is back to work for 123news, an on-line news site.
It’s been two years after the death of Juul’s son, killed in a fire that left Henning both physically and mentally scarred. The frustrations of not being able
The excellent debut novel by Thomas Enger, Burned, whetted my appetite for more and I was looking forward to reading the follow-up book Pierced. The tragedy that infuses the first book, the death in a fire of journalist Henning Juul’s son, provides the framework for the drama in book two.

Juul, a journalist employed by an on-line news site, receives a call from Tore Pulli, a prisoner who claims he has been convicted of a crime that he didn’t commit. Pulli is convinced that he was set-up and as a
Michael
Investigative crime reporter Henning Juul gets a call at his office in Norway. Tore Pulli is in jail for murder and tells Henning that if he'll get the information about the person who framed him, he'll tell Henning what he knows about the fire that killed his six-year-old son.

This story follows "Burned" which was excellent.

Henning investigates the case for which Pulli was imprisoned and we follow a side story about a TV cameraman who is being manipulated by someone and if he doesn't do what thi
Barbpie
Scarred investigative reporter Henning Juul, who was unable to save his son Jonah from a fire in the first in this series, Burned, is back. Henning thinks he may have a lead on who started the fire that killed Jonah. And although he has reconciled somewhat with his ex-wife Nora, she is still sleeping with his snarky colleague Ivar. His mom still uses him as a liquor and grocery delivery service. His sister shuns both of them. on the positive side, Henning is earning a few brownie points at work ...more
Anne-Jan
Thomas Enger - Fantoompijn

Thomas Enger (1973) zijn debuut Schijndood werd in 21 landen vertaald en een internationale bestseller. Nu is zijn tweede boek Fantoompijn verschenen, waarin we uiteraard misdaadverslaggever Henning Juul ook weer tegenkomen.
Juul worstelt nog steeds met de vraag wie er verantwoordelijk is voor de brand in zijn appartement, waarbij zijn zesjarige zoontje omgekomen is. Hij komt in contact met Tore Pulli die beweert informatie te hebben en weet wie er achter de brand zit.
[☆] мєℓαиιє [★]
Dieses Buch habe ich im Dezember über Cinema in my Head anlässlich ihrer Weihnachtsengel - Aktion ersteigert und es nun endlich mal gelesen, auch wenn ich jetzt noch immer nicht weiss, was genau ich dazu überhaupt sagen soll.

Ich muss auch vorher aber auch erwähnen, dass dieses der zweite Band der Reihe ist und ich den ersten nicht gelesen habe!

Hennig Juul ist noch immer mit dem Tod seines Sohnes beschäftigt, noch immer nicht darüber hinweg, als er einen Anruf aus dem Gefängnis erhält. Tore Pull
Conny
I was a First Read winner of this book and I really liked it a lot. It had a great plot line and engaging characters and kept me at the edge of my seat until the last page. I now want to read the first book of the series and can't wait to see how the story will develop further. I definitely recommend this book to anybody who enjoys a great suspense novel with plenty of pulse pounding action.
Jakub Nowak
Very high quality once more. I was hooked from start to finish. This was partly due to the set up from the previous part but not only. Thomas Enger manages to evoke strong emotions and makes the reader feel close to the far from perfect protagonist. And once more the ending has a hint that makes me crave for the next one.
Kermit19
Love a book that leaves you hanging until the next one is published. Hopefully it wont be a long wait.
Muddie99
A great read. Even better than Burned! Where are 6 stars when you need them.
Stacia
Henning Juul, an investigative journalist, is still recovering from the fire that killed his son Jonas and tore apart his marriage. He’s back at work, and he’s learned to live with the fact that his ex-wife, also a journalist, is dating his colleague Iver Gundersen. Then he gets the offer that changes everything: If you help me clear my name, I’ll tell you who killed your son.

Henning is a fantastic character. For the past two years he has lived with the guilt of his son’s death, which is exacerb
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Henning Juul, investigative reporter
SETTING: Norway
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 4.35

Henning Juul is an investigative reporter who has been living his life in a state of lethargy ever since the death of his son, Jonas, in a fire at his apartment. Juul has always believed that the fire was set by someone, although the investigators didn’t find any evidence to support that theory. Thus, when a prisoner named Tore Pulli offers to provide him with information about who caused the death of his
Barbara
PIERCED
by Thomas Enger
There have been a number of Scandinavian authors compared to Stieg Larsson and none of the comparisons were valid. Thomas Enger probably comes close to the same writing style. The story moved slowly, with details and tangents that were of no help to the story. It seemed to just not move at all. It is not until the later part of the book that the reader is given an idea of what is going on. Up until then, it is just a series of events happening to different people who are l
Lorca Damon
It’s difficult to jump into a sequel or series without having read all of the titles the came before, which is one of the unique challenges to writing serial novels. The author has to strike a balance between giving enough information to new readers that they can feel drawn into the story, without repeating so much back story that faithful fans feel talked down to.

Enger’s title, Pierced (Atria Books), is the sequel to his bestselling mystery Burned, and it only falls short of the information-ver
Simon Kelly
A really enjoyable read. The plot is well woven with good characterisation and observant writing about all the protagonists relationships. it's not a literary masterpiece but the style of writing is well structured and translates into English well. The skill of the writer is being able to keep the suspense going all the time. Must read the next in the series....
Rieta
He keeps you on the hook with the original mystery kind of like those shows where they work mystery after mystery and creep a step at a time on the original mystery. I know I shouldn't base it on this but I also hate when a character you learn to care about and strives and strives, loses? Not good.
Anna Jesse
Had ik met het eerste deel nogal veel moeite, ben ik toch blij dat ik heb doorgezet. Hij is sowieso spannender dan deel 1, ook is het boek een stuk dikker. Inmiddels leef ik wel mee met de personages en komen ze niet meer als oude zeuren over. De plot zit goed in elkaar en kent nog wel wat verrassingen. Ik geef deze dan ok 4 sterren en ga binnenkort op naar het volgende deel.
Andd Becker
Thomas Enger's suspenseful PIERCED is a brilliantly-plotted novel that plays like a movie on the reader's visual mindscreen. The book's action, dialogue, descriptions, and interior monologues leave the reader spellbound.
The author's complicated plot reveals more questions than answers. The reader can try to guess who did what, but the author is clearly in control.
Armed with more knowledge than the protagonist/investigative reporter has, the reader, nevertheless, cannot predict the outcome.
T
Christine Ellis
Another great Scandinavian noir

Thomas Enger continues this hunt for the killer of his son. So compelling I'm starting the third book. Must read if you enjoy the crime genre
Tony
Having read a number of Nordic noir novel over the last few years - I have found the pacing of many turgid. However, Thomas Enger has produced a genuine pacey page-turner which retained my interest for all its 500+ pages. This is the second in the series and left me looking forward to the next four books.
Kenneth Fredette
I have to give this story 5 stars, because it kept going around and around. It was a really good read. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a mystery par excellent.
Lone
Fantomsmerte
Tom Bim
Better and better.
Really good, really chilling and unpredictable. Juul is a very sympathetic character, and his quest to find his son's killer is very compelling. You will definitely get more out of this if you read'Burned' first, but this is really worthwhile.

It's not 5 stars because it's a little slow to start, and there are a few too many characters. Also, there is an early scene at the gym that I feel like will be important in a later book, but didn't need to be here.
Franziska {Leben und Lesen}
Vom Schreibstil her wieder super, aber das war mir dann doch zu banal, was die Lösung angeht, da hätte ich andere Möglichkeiten spannender gefunden.
Ich werde aber dennoch weiterlesen, ich will ja schließlich wissen, was es mit dem Brand auf sich hat.
Petr Čapek
Engera bych rozhodně nezařadil po bok bohů severských detektivek tipu Larssona nebo Nesba. Pokud ovšem máte tyto stálice již přelouskané a poohlížíte se po nějaké další kvalitní krimisérii, je Thomas Enger svěžím větrem, který dokáže lecčems zaujmout a překvapit. Ne nadarmo je označován, jako jeden z nejtalentovanějších norských autorů posledních let.

3,5/5

• Tre Hundes Nat
  • Death of the Demon (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #3)
  • Spring Tide
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Viper
  • Yours Until Death (Varg Veum, #2)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • Ice Moon
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
  • Mamma, pappa, barn (Hammarbyserien, #2)
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Nobels testamente (Annika Bengtzon #6)
  • Vattenänglar
  • Fjällgraven  (Sebastian Bergman, #3)
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Den döende detektiven
  • Bad Blood (Intercrime, #2)
Thomas Enger was born in Oslo in 1973, but grew up in Jessheim. He has an education in journalism, and has also studied sports and history. He worked at the Norwegian online newspaper Nettavisen for nine years.

He has composed music and written books since the age of 18. He is also working on a musical.

Enger's first book, Skinndød, was published in 2010. It is the first book in a series of at least
More about Thomas Enger...

Henning Juul (4 books)
  • Burned (Henning Juul #1)
  • Blodtåke (Henning Juul #3)
  • Våpenskjold
Burned (Henning Juul #1) Blodtåke (Henning Juul #3) Den onde arven Våpenskjold Jul-Morde: Skandinavische Weihnachtskrimis