Start by marking “Cracked” as Want to Read:
Cracked

Cracked

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3,067 Ratings  ·  399 Reviews
A teen takes a bottle of pills and lands in the psych ward with the bully who drove him to attempt suicide in this gripping novel.

Victor hates his life. He has no friends, gets beaten up at school, and his parents are always criticizing him. Tired of feeling miserable, Victor takes a bottle of his mother’s sleeping pills—only to wake up in the hospital.
Bull is angry, and t
Published December 4th 2012 by Simon Pulse (first published January 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cracked, please sign up.

Zurah There's a lot of inappropriate language in the book. On the other hand, there are morals in this book. I'm already hooked reading it. I can't put the…moreThere's a lot of inappropriate language in the book. On the other hand, there are morals in this book. I'm already hooked reading it. I can't put the book down!(less)

Raeleen Lemay
This book was decent, but I was definitely far from amazed while reading this.

I liked how the dual perspectives were done, where each chapter is sort of mirrored to the previous one. It really emphasized the point that even though these two boys came from very different places and situations, they both had plenty of reasons to be unhappy and hurting. Victor is privileged, but unloved my his parents, and bullied at school. Bull, on the other hand, is abused at home by his family, so he takes out
MLE
Jan 13, 2012 MLE rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yad
It wasn't written terribly, but the plot and characters felt more like an after school special than real people. The bad parts were bad, but the simplistic solutions, and overly neat ending made everything that came before seem less significant. I found myself wondering; if that's all it took to make things better, than was it really that bad to begin with? I found the changes the characters underwent were too forced, and too abrupt. Bullying is an important issue, and, while I'm glad more autho ...more
Kelly
A solid read with two authentic and hurting male voices. Bull's the bully but acts that way because that's the way he's grown up. Victor, on the other hand, is the bullied and allows himself to be picked on because that's the way he's grown up. There's a nice exploration of families, of social class, and of the importance of knowing you're loved/giving love.

A couple of things didn't work for me, including the quick turn arounds of both boys when they'd hit rock bottom. I was hoping for a lot mo
Vivien Keiling
Mar 06, 2013 Vivien Keiling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, real-ish, guys
Well hot damn! FINALLY!! A book that really gets to the quick on issues like suicide, abuse and bullying for GUYS!!! - and from both POVs of the bully and the bullied.
[it seems to be the case that a bunch of authors got the memo that, done right, the double POV can work magic!]

I am so sad to say that this one flew under my radar until recently...on the plus side, this means that her second book - Empty - is already out and I can read it right away!!

Very well written - this was a gripper. It was
Mary-Megan
Call me cynical, but when I read a book about hard-hitting themes like bullying and suicide, I don't necessarily want "happily ever after." While this book does a decent job tackling these two serious topics, I felt the rosy ending for these characters didn't jive with reality.

This novel is told through the eyes of two boys - chapters alternating between Victor and William "Bull". Victor is a victim of bullying done by Bull. The bullying has gone on since kindergarten and hasn't improved. At the
Lablover
Jun 03, 2012 Lablover rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-books
Maggie61
Loved this author's writing style as well as story line.
We have one boy being bullied by the same kid most of his school life. He is an outcast with no friends. He is invisible to his parents who remind him he was an accident and generally ignore his whole existence except when he may do something to inconvenience their lives. After his dog who was the only one that valued him passes away he is devestated and swallows a bottle of pills.
Then there is the second boy. The bully. And as we are sho
Nuisance Nonsense
While I absolutely loved the characters and the overall theme of Cracked, I didn't care much for the way Walton portrayed psychiatric units. Most of the situations in the hospital felt out of place. One thing that bothered me is the complete lack of interest from the nurses and staff when Victor tells them that he can't be roomed with Bull. In my experience, people who knew each other outside of the hospital or people who couldn't get along were put on a sort of restraining order where they were ...more
Kimberly Sabatini
Feb 27, 2011 Kimberly Sabatini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-ya
This book matters.

It's a simple as that.

Bullying is a pervasive issue in our society today and more people need to be reading a book like this. Why? What makes this one special? I have a few reasons why I think this is a stand out. But first, I'll be honest with you... K. M. Walton is a friend, an Apocalypsie and a fellow author at Simon Pulse. I sort of wish this wasn't true because there will be many people that assume that my respect and love for CRACKED is influenced by those connections.
BAYA Librarian
May 27, 2012 BAYA Librarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victor is the quiet kid in class who gets picked on and bullied on a daily basis. His home life is no better. His parents blame the majority of life’s problems on their son, stating that if it was not for him life would be perfect.

Bull (as you could probably tell by the name) is the primary bully in school. He comes from a broken home where he lives with his alcoholic mother and abusive grandfather. Bull is both physically and mentally abused, so he in turn takes all of his anger and frustratio
Passionist
Elisa Ludwig
May 30, 2011 Elisa Ludwig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get out the Kleenex! This powerful story of a victim and a bully who by chance find themselves in the same psychiatric ward of their town's hospital will move you to tears (possibly repeatedly). In an even, direct prose style, Walton nails the voices of her heroes and doesn't sugar coat their difficult circumstances. And while Walton has conjured a compelling supporting cast of characters, it's Cracked's two vulnerable yet tenacious protagonists that will win your heart.
Lenore Appelhans
I cannot rave enough about this novel. I was so completely emotionally invested in these characters that I cried at least four times - and I hardly ever am moved to tears by books (maybe only around 10 in the whole history of my reading life post childhood).

More to come ...
Paige
I am something of a contemporary nerd. A total contemporary nerd. There, I said it, I have outed myself -- contemporary YA is my favorite genre and I love contemp books. So I had wanted to read Cracked for a long time, since the cover and synopsis were released.

My issues with the book were larger than I'd hoped they would be but I still enjoyed the novel.

Bull and Victor hate each other. This is not some kind of low hate, like hating pepperoni or sausage on your pizza or hating a particular ba
Hannah
I love the idea for Cracked. Portraying both sides of a bullying incident, and pushing bully and bullied together in such an unlikely situation sounds fascinating. But the actual book didn't work for me; Cracked turned out to be too melodramatic and unrealistic for me to enjoy the novel.

Cracked starts out describing both Victor's and Bull's lives and how horrible everything is, which already didn't work for me. I don't want to sound insensitive, but it seemed like their stories were made up simp
Cara
Jan 07, 2012 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book, I really do. That said, I nearly put the book down in the first 30 pages. The main characters are a stereotypical bully and victim, almost painfully so. I started to wonder if I was reading a young adult novel or a 300-page narrative pamphlet on bullying. With a victim named Victor and a bully named Bull, it seemed a near thing.

But it gets better. The story starts out a little slow but you don’t really notice it. The author switches between the two main characters every chapter
Corrine Jackson
When I was in NYC earlier this month, my eyes spied the gorgeous cover of K.M. Walton's debut novel, CRACKED. I coveted it immediately, and my editor was kind enough to slip me a copy. This book will be out January 3, 2012. Full disclosure: K.M. Walton is a fellow Apocalypsie and we share an editor. Read below to see what I thought.

****

CRACKED is about two guys who are polar opposites, one with less than nothing and one who seemingly has everything. Okay, I know what you’re thinking. These guys
Sally Kruger
Imagine having to share a room with your own personal bully 24/7 for five days. That's what has happened to Victor. Can he survive? Will the strange pairing turn into friendship?

Victor keeps mostly to himself. He is an exceptional student, especially in math. He's so good he got a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Unfortunately, his uber-demanding parents are less than satisfied with his slightly lower scores on the rest of the test. They've decided to take their European vacation wi
Nicole
Feb 14, 2013 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I always find myself being drawn to books about emotional and physical abuse, and I'm not really sure why. I think I like the psychology behind it. I always wonder what makes a parent be nasty to their children or why someone becomes a bully at school. Since I have never been personally affected by something like this, I find, that I need to understand it better, so I read books about it.

After reading the synopsis of this book, I thought it was
Amy
Mar 17, 2016 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Grade: C-

One Word: Cheesy

William aka "Bull" and the victim of his torment, Victor, end up roommates in a psych ward after suicide attempts. One rich, the other poor. One the victim of physical abuse, the other the victim of emotional abuse and neglect. They're committed for five days with other troubled teens and must learn to support themselves and each other.

Five days inpatient psychiatric treatment after a suicide attempt can barely scratch the surface, but most insurances won't pay for more
Abria Mattina
Told in alternating chapters narrated by Victor and Bull, Cracked is the story of two young men who end up in a psych ward. They have a long history -- Bull has been the schoolyard bully since kindergarten and Victor is a perpetual victim. Each of them has problems at home to contend with as well, ranging from physical abuse to emotional neglect.

When Victor and Bull end up being roommates on the ward, I expected the story would be about learning to forgive and apologize. It's more about the ide
Kelley York
Nov 23, 2011 Kelley York rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-digital
Cover: 4/5 Simple and effective. I don't care for the black border; I think a stark white cover with the cup of pills would have been more aesthetically pleasing. If I saw this on a bookshelf in a store, I'd pick it up.

Characters: 4/5 Bull and Victor are both great narrators. Very different from each other, despite having the same wants: acceptance, love, respect, 'normal lives.' I particularly enjoyed Victor, likely because I related to him more and how he felt invisible and so anxious about r
Anne Willkomm
Dec 23, 2012 Anne Willkomm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met K.M. Walton at Children's Book World in Haverford, PA not too long ago at an author social. She and I chatted about YA writing and how it has so much to offer to both teens and adults - that it isn't "dumbed" down writing for a younger set. That night I purchased her book "Cracked, " and she graciously signed my copy.

This is the story to two boys: Bull and Victor -- the bully and the bullied, but this is not the crux of their story. "Cracked" is the story of two boys who are suffering at t
Kristen
Nov 23, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dac12, azrc12
Reading about the lives of Victor and Bull was just absolutely heartbreaking but once I started reading it, I could not put it down even for a second.

There was nothing I didn't like about this book. I honestly don't think I could say a single bad thing. It is a beautifully written story told from the point of view of two males, Victor and Bull who have two completely different lives but are ultimately longing for the same thing: someone who actually cares about them.

At first I definitely could f
Darla
Jan 12, 2012 Darla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victor is the victim of a bully. His parents don't care about him, they have unrealistically high expectations of him (which he will never meet), and it seems like the only one who cares about him is Jazzer - the teacup poodle.

Bull is a bully with a bad home life. His pops beats him, his mother watches as it happens, and they both put drinking before him. They could care less about him or if there is food in the fridge.

I felt for both of these characters. Both abused in different ways and with
April
Mar 03, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had Cracked by KM Walton in my TBR pile for an obnoxious amount of time, at least two years which is totally unreasonable as it is so short and the type of book I love to read. You see, Cracked is a contemporary young adult book that takes on a pretty serious subject matter. It’s one of those books that is painful and layered. It could feel like an after school special, but it turns out that to me, the book never felt like it was giving me a giant speech about issues and teenagers. Reader ...more
Angela
Okay, so at first I really liked this book. It was pretty good! But, the thing that annoyed the shit out of me was, I feel K.M. Walton spent a perfect amount of time telling us everything that happened before they when to the psychiatric ward. BUT, the time she spent talking about what happened in the psych ward was way to short. I mean really a 5 day program and at the end when Nikole is leaving Victor says how "he's going to miss her so much even after he dies." If someone said that t
Kalejay
Apr 05, 2012 Kalejay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've been struggling with what to say in my review about this book for the past half hour but my words just fail to measure up to how I really feel. In short, I thought this book was brilliant. Amazing. Heartbreaking, but just... REAL. That's the best word I think. Real. It made me sad, it made me smile. Even now I'm struggling with what to say. I can't do this book justice. It is a definite must-read. Amazing. I swear ;)
Rieko
Jul 07, 2012 Rieko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cracked tells the story of Victor and Bull. Bull is beaten by his pops (grandfather) and mom. In turn, Bull bullies Victor.
I really liked this book. I thought the ending came on too quickly. It made me want more but even with the rushed ending, I thought it was a good read. I hope I can use it for a booktalk this coming year. I'm always looking for boy books to share with my reluctant boy readers.
Destiny
Dec 22, 2014 Destiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I really, really enjoyed this book. I liked the look it gave of bullying and mental illness. I read somewhere that most bullies have issues themselves and I definitely saw that with Bull's character. I liked seeing the characters grow and I thought the ending was very realistic for their relationship.
Rossetti Quarter ...: Symbol 3 6 Mar 08, 2015 12:52PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Theme 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:23PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Internal External Conflicts 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:08PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Characterization 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 09:21AM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Setting 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 08:10AM
Bullying, Depression and how to deal with emotional topics such as these. 1 3 Jan 27, 2015 11:35AM
  • Life is But a Dream
  • Personal Effects
  • Reunited
  • Ditched: A Love Story
  • What She Left Behind
K.M. Walton is the author of the contemporary young adult novels, CRACKED (2012), EMPTY (2013), the forthcoming ULTIMATUM (3/7/17), and BEHIND THE SONG (9/17). She is represented by Jim McCarthy from Dystel, Goderich & Bourret Literary Management.

K. M. had a gazillion dreams when she was a little girl. Her biggest dream was to be a teacher. Teaching became a reality for K.M. and she taught for
More about K.M. Walton...