Start by marking “Cracked” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,586 ratings  ·  345 reviews
A teen takes a bottle of pills and lands in the psych ward with the bully who drove him to attempt suicide in this gripping novel.

Victor hates his life. He has no friends, gets beaten up at school, and his parents are always criticizing him. Tired of feeling miserable, Victor takes a bottle of his mother’s sleeping pills—only to wake up in the hospital.
Bull is angry, and t
Published December 4th 2012 by Simon Pulse (first published January 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cracked, please sign up.

Zurah There's a lot of inappropriate language in the book. On the other hand, there are morals in this book. I'm already hooked reading it. I can't put the…moreThere's a lot of inappropriate language in the book. On the other hand, there are morals in this book. I'm already hooked reading it. I can't put the book down!(less)

It wasn't written terribly, but the plot and characters felt more like an after school special than real people. The bad parts were bad, but the simplistic solutions, and overly neat ending made everything that came before seem less significant. I found myself wondering; if that's all it took to make things better, than was it really that bad to begin with? I found the changes the characters underwent were too forced, and too abrupt. Bullying is an important issue, and, while I'm glad more autho ...more
A solid read with two authentic and hurting male voices. Bull's the bully but acts that way because that's the way he's grown up. Victor, on the other hand, is the bullied and allows himself to be picked on because that's the way he's grown up. There's a nice exploration of families, of social class, and of the importance of knowing you're loved/giving love.

A couple of things didn't work for me, including the quick turn arounds of both boys when they'd hit rock bottom. I was hoping for a lot mo
Vivien Keiling
Well hot damn! FINALLY!! A book that really gets to the quick on issues like suicide, abuse and bullying for GUYS!!! - and from both POVs of the bully and the bullied.
[it seems to be the case that a bunch of authors got the memo that, done right, the double POV can work magic!]

I am so sad to say that this one flew under my radar until recently...on the plus side, this means that her second book - Empty - is already out and I can read it right away!!

Very well written - this was a gripper. It was
Call me cynical, but when I read a book about hard-hitting themes like bullying and suicide, I don't necessarily want "happily ever after." While this book does a decent job tackling these two serious topics, I felt the rosy ending for these characters didn't jive with reality.

This novel is told through the eyes of two boys - chapters alternating between Victor and William "Bull". Victor is a victim of bullying done by Bull. The bullying has gone on since kindergarten and hasn't improved. At the
Nuisance Nonsense
While I absolutely loved the characters and the overall theme of Cracked, I didn't care much for the way Walton portrayed psychiatric units. Most of the situations in the hospital felt out of place. One thing that bothered me is the complete lack of interest from the nurses and staff when Victor tells them that he can't be roomed with Bull. In my experience, people who knew each other outside of the hospital or people who couldn't get along were put on a sort of restraining order where they were ...more
BAYA Librarian
Victor is the quiet kid in class who gets picked on and bullied on a daily basis. His home life is no better. His parents blame the majority of life’s problems on their son, stating that if it was not for him life would be perfect.

Bull (as you could probably tell by the name) is the primary bully in school. He comes from a broken home where he lives with his alcoholic mother and abusive grandfather. Bull is both physically and mentally abused, so he in turn takes all of his anger and frustratio
Kimberly Sabatini
This book matters.

It's a simple as that.

Bullying is a pervasive issue in our society today and more people need to be reading a book like this. Why? What makes this one special? I have a few reasons why I think this is a stand out. But first, I'll be honest with you... K. M. Walton is a friend, an Apocalypsie and a fellow author at Simon Pulse. I sort of wish this wasn't true because there will be many people that assume that my respect and love for CRACKED is influenced by those connections.
I am something of a contemporary nerd. A total contemporary nerd. There, I said it, I have outed myself -- contemporary YA is my favorite genre and I love contemp books. So I had wanted to read Cracked for a long time, since the cover and synopsis were released.

My issues with the book were larger than I'd hoped they would be but I still enjoyed the novel.

Bull and Victor hate each other. This is not some kind of low hate, like hating pepperoni or sausage on your pizza or hating a particular ba
Sally Kruger
Imagine having to share a room with your own personal bully 24/7 for five days. That's what has happened to Victor. Can he survive? Will the strange pairing turn into friendship?

Victor keeps mostly to himself. He is an exceptional student, especially in math. He's so good he got a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Unfortunately, his uber-demanding parents are less than satisfied with his slightly lower scores on the rest of the test. They've decided to take their European vacation wi
Lenore Appelhans
I cannot rave enough about this novel. I was so completely emotionally invested in these characters that I cried at least four times - and I hardly ever am moved to tears by books (maybe only around 10 in the whole history of my reading life post childhood).

More to come ...
Abria Mattina
Told in alternating chapters narrated by Victor and Bull, Cracked is the story of two young men who end up in a psych ward. They have a long history -- Bull has been the schoolyard bully since kindergarten and Victor is a perpetual victim. Each of them has problems at home to contend with as well, ranging from physical abuse to emotional neglect.

When Victor and Bull end up being roommates on the ward, I expected the story would be about learning to forgive and apologize. It's more about the ide
I love the idea for Cracked. Portraying both sides of a bullying incident, and pushing bully and bullied together in such an unlikely situation sounds fascinating. But the actual book didn't work for me; Cracked turned out to be too melodramatic and unrealistic for me to enjoy the novel.

Cracked starts out describing both Victor's and Bull's lives and how horrible everything is, which already didn't work for me. I don't want to sound insensitive, but it seemed like their stories were made up simp
Corrine Jackson
When I was in NYC earlier this month, my eyes spied the gorgeous cover of K.M. Walton's debut novel, CRACKED. I coveted it immediately, and my editor was kind enough to slip me a copy. This book will be out January 3, 2012. Full disclosure: K.M. Walton is a fellow Apocalypsie and we share an editor. Read below to see what I thought.

CRACKED is about two guys who are polar opposites, one with less than nothing and one who seemingly has everything. Okay, I know what you’re thinking. These guys
Loved this author's writing style as well as story line.
We have one boy being bullied by the same kid most of his school life. He is an outcast with no friends. He is invisible to his parents who remind him he was an accident and generally ignore his whole existence except when he may do something to inconvenience their lives. After his dog who was the only one that valued him passes away he is devestated and swallows a bottle of pills.
Then there is the second boy. The bully. And as we are sho
I like this book, I really do. That said, I nearly put the book down in the first 30 pages. The main characters are a stereotypical bully and victim, almost painfully so. I started to wonder if I was reading a young adult novel or a 300-page narrative pamphlet on bullying. With a victim named Victor and a bully named Bull, it seemed a near thing.

But it gets better. The story starts out a little slow but you don’t really notice it. The author switches between the two main characters every chapter
Anne Willkomm
I met K.M. Walton at Children's Book World in Haverford, PA not too long ago at an author social. She and I chatted about YA writing and how it has so much to offer to both teens and adults - that it isn't "dumbed" down writing for a younger set. That night I purchased her book "Cracked, " and she graciously signed my copy.

This is the story to two boys: Bull and Victor -- the bully and the bullied, but this is not the crux of their story. "Cracked" is the story of two boys who are suffering at t
Kelley York
Cover: 4/5 Simple and effective. I don't care for the black border; I think a stark white cover with the cup of pills would have been more aesthetically pleasing. If I saw this on a bookshelf in a store, I'd pick it up.

Characters: 4/5 Bull and Victor are both great narrators. Very different from each other, despite having the same wants: acceptance, love, respect, 'normal lives.' I particularly enjoyed Victor, likely because I related to him more and how he felt invisible and so anxious about r
Reading about the lives of Victor and Bull was just absolutely heartbreaking but once I started reading it, I could not put it down even for a second.

There was nothing I didn't like about this book. I honestly don't think I could say a single bad thing. It is a beautifully written story told from the point of view of two males, Victor and Bull who have two completely different lives but are ultimately longing for the same thing: someone who actually cares about them.

At first I definitely could f
Victor is the victim of a bully. His parents don't care about him, they have unrealistically high expectations of him (which he will never meet), and it seems like the only one who cares about him is Jazzer - the teacup poodle.

Bull is a bully with a bad home life. His pops beats him, his mother watches as it happens, and they both put drinking before him. They could care less about him or if there is food in the fridge.

I felt for both of these characters. Both abused in different ways and with
I have had Cracked by KM Walton in my TBR pile for an obnoxious amount of time, at least two years which is totally unreasonable as it is so short and the type of book I love to read. You see, Cracked is a contemporary young adult book that takes on a pretty serious subject matter. It’s one of those books that is painful and layered. It could feel like an after school special, but it turns out that to me, the book never felt like it was giving me a giant speech about issues and teenagers. Reader ...more
I really, really enjoyed this book. I liked the look it gave of bullying and mental illness. I read somewhere that most bullies have issues themselves and I definitely saw that with Bull's character. I liked seeing the characters grow and I thought the ending was very realistic for their relationship.
Haley Mcdougall
I really loved this book, and I loved how the author wrote it from the two points of view; the bully and the person getting bullied. I recommend this book to anyone who likes realistic fiction, its definitely a great read. Also the ending was written very well, and wrapped everything up the way I hoped.
Okay, so at first I really liked this book. It was pretty good! But, the thing that annoyed the shit out of me was, I feel K.M. Walton spent a perfect amount of time telling us everything that happened before they when to the psychiatric ward. BUT, the time she spent talking about what happened in the psych ward was way to short. I mean really a 5 day program and at the end when Nikole is leaving Victor says how "he's going to miss her so much even after he dies." If someone said that t
Janet Robel
I was surprised at how much I liked this book. The author deals with a real subject that teens can relate to. Getting to hear Victor and Bull's point of view every other chapter was compelling and page-turning.
I couldn't put this book down. The writing is just fantastic and the characters are really well developed. Such a good read about acceptance in one's life, forgiveness and moving on.
I don't think I would have picked up this book on my own, but once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down.
It was heartbreaking to read about Victor and Bull's homes and parents. You could feel their pain and loneliness and just wanted to tell them it would be ok. Their lives were incredibly parallel and often mirror images of each other.
I found Bull to be more sympathetic and I was seriously rooting for him.
The names of the characters were incredibly symbolic, notably Paul Blessing. And i
4Porter M
Bullying gets a thorough examination in Walton's YA debut, a stark, but often heavy-handed story that alternates between the perspectives of the victim and the aggressor. Sixteen-year-old Victor Konig may be a math genius, but his parents ignore him when they're not pressuring him to be perfect. No longer able to handle parental neglect, as well as bullying at the hands of William "Bull" Mastrick at school, Victor attempts suicide, landing in a psychiatric hospital. His tormentor ends up there ...more
This book was just... okay. Meh. This book had amazing potential. I kept reading and reading, expecting it to get better, and it just... didn't deliver.

This book gives out a great message. I'd say this book is great for maybe a high school English class? But for personal reading, it fell short. It definitely is one of those books that you lose track of time with. It sucks you in. But the end left me feeling like something was missing.

1. The ending made no sense, I'm sorry. It felt forced, as if
Lynniah Griffith
I liked this book because it shows the lives of two boys. Victor Konig is a boy raised in a rich family and is bullied by William "Bull" Mastrick. Victor has never been shown affection by his parents or anyone in his school. The only thing that has truly lobed him was his mother's dog, Jazzy. He is a disappointment to his parents because he was -as his mother likes to say- "An Accident". When Jazzy, the only thing that makes Victor's life worth living, dies Victor has a breakdown and tries to co ...more
Rossetti Quarter ...: Symbol 3 6 Mar 08, 2015 12:52PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Theme 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:23PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Internal External Conflicts 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 12:08PM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Characterization 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 09:21AM
Rossetti Quarter ...: Setting 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 08:10AM
Bullying, Depression and how to deal with emotional topics such as these. 1 3 Jan 27, 2015 11:35AM
  • Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse
  • Kiss the Morning Star
  • In Too Deep
  • Zoe Letting Go
  • Butter
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • Personal Effects
K.M. Walton is the author of the contemporary young adult novels, CRACKED (2012) and EMPTY (2013). She is represented by Jim McCarthy from Dystel & Goderich Literary Management.

K. M. had a gazillion dreams when she was a little girl. Her biggest dream was to be a teacher. Teaching became a reality for K. M. and she taught for twelve glorious years – some of it in Osteen, Florida and most of it
More about K.M. Walton...