Start by marking “The Divinity of Dogs: True Stories of Miracles Inspired by Man's Best Friend” as Want to Read:

The Divinity of Dogs: True Stories of Miracles Inspired by Man's Best Friend

From the bestselling author of God Stories, an uplifting collection of inspirational and heartwarming stories from people who have encountered the divine through their dogs.

“My dogs have been the reason I have woken up every single day of my life with a smile on my face. I am among the ranks of millions of people who appreciate the souls of dogs and know they are a gift of
Published October 23rd 2012 by Atria Books

Freda Malone
Dec 20, 2012 Freda Malone rated it it was amazing
As a story contributor of this book, you might think me bias. However, you'll also find me honest to a fault and pretty straightforward about my opinions of any subject. You'll also see that I have not listed any non-fiction books I've read or had intended to read in the future.

This book changed my reading choices as well as my life. While the author, Jen, was writing the book, the healing process in the loss of my oldest son was still very fresh. I almost changed my mind about letting my story
Carol  MacInnis
Oct 07, 2013 Carol MacInnis rated it it was amazing
Author Jennifer Skiff did an amazing job of sharing people's stories and feelings about man's best friend. The highs and lows and everything in between that is shared with the story teller and their best friend and how, even after our four-legged friends make their journey over the Rainbow Bridge, their spirits are forever with us. It shows the reader that these wonderful creatures that become part of our families, of how our pals ability goes far beyond just playing catch, taking naps and being ...more
Feb 13, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Grab some tissues and get ready for an unforgettable experience with Jennifer Skiff’s “The Divinity of Dogs: True Stories of Miracles Inspired by Man’s Best Friend.” Divided into nine sections—love, comfort, intuition, healing, gratitude, loyalty, passing, compassion, and forgiveness—each of which is opened with commentary by Skiff, this heartwarming book encompasses the many gifts which dogs bestow upon us. Although many of the stories refer to the canines as divine beings, this selection will ...more
Karen
Oct 29, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
I just started reading this book. My BFF, Carol Bradshaw, has her story about her husband's service dog, Bandit, in here and she was kind to mention my dog, Riley. All that aside, it's a great read for just feeling warm and fuzzy, and inspired to learn lessons in human potential if we just take stock of how our little furry friends make the world a better place.
Mya Murphy
Dec 28, 2012 Mya Murphy rated it it was amazing
Boy, the tears that ran down my face at times...

Dogs truly are God's gifts to us humans. I read about about so many inspirational dogs, and they all touched my heart.
I was blessed with a seizure alert dog that has saved my life over 25 times. He would bark or cry about 10 to 15 minutes before I was to have a seizure...I got him as a puppy when he was 6 weeks old, and had NO clue that he would ever help me in life...had a seizure when he was only 10 weeks old, and just KNEW...

Each story about ind
Carol Bradshaw
Dec 19, 2012 Carol Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Finding out in Jan. of 2011 that our story would be included in "The Divinity of Dogs" was truly an honor. Bandit and Jack's story is just one of over 70, and each and every one tugs at your heart, reminds us of a memory, and brings an awareness to the amazing feats and inate ability that dogs have to intertwine their lives with humans. Jennifer's own story of her life and her personal experiences with her dogs lends the link that brings it all together. Each short story could be made into its ...more
Deja
Jan 30, 2013 Deja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book is the BEST book I've read in 2012!! I am a self-proclaimed cat lover but after reading this book I just can't help but admit, there is a special love that you can only find in dogs. This book is compiled of several short inspirational stories that make it convenient to read a story and get on with what you're doing but these stories are so good you won't want to put the book down! I found myself tearing up as I read some of these stories which is a very rare thing for someone like me ...more
Ellen
Dec 06, 2013 Ellen rated it it was amazing

Offered by Simon and Schuster

5.0 out of 5 stars True Stories of dogs & dog lovers, October 10, 2013

This review is from: The Divinity of Dogs: True Stories of Miracles Inspired by Man's Best Friend

"The Divinity of Dogs" is a beautiful book of true stories written by each owner of a beloved pet. Many of these stories are of the owner(s) bei
Lablover
I am an animal lover but I love dogs above all others. I believe that the relationship between humans and dogs transcends all other animal/human relationships. The Divinity of Dogs gives a tremendous look at the effect dogs have on our lives. The bond between us is strong, it is real and it is deep. This book is filled with stories of how much dogs give to us. It is a must read for any dog lover !
Florence
Nov 05, 2012 Florence rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book about dogs and the impact they have on our lives. I don't want to spoil the stories by saying too much, but you will read about dogs providing comfort during horrible times. During times of health problems or family troubles, the noble and furry dog remains loyal. These stories will confirm may people's belief that dogs really are magical and friends for life! This is a highly recommended read.
Lea
Dec 06, 2013 Lea rated it it was amazing
First person short stories tell of remarkable tales of dogs and the humans they love. All of the stories are interesting. Most will make you smile. Some may make you cry. Because all the stories are only a page or two in length, it's a nice book to keep handy when you know you don't have a lot of time to read. If you've ever loved a dog you will love this book.
Kirsti
Mar 20, 2013 Kirsti rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book full of wonderful stories about dogs and the comfort they give us. I loved the author's own stories, they were particularly touching. The structure of the book help keeps your interest, as it is divided into short stories by different authors and in different writing styles. Beautiful cover as well! as with almost every true animal book I've read lately, a five star book!
Kim
Dec 19, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written book full of inspirational stories of the impact dogs have on our lives. I cried and laughed and then cried some more. The absolute selflessness of our pets shows why they are truly man's (or woman's) best friend.
Barbara
Dec 06, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
This book did include some amazing tales about dogs and owners. The quality varied from writer to writer. The most compelling story was Ms. Skiff's life, her contribution always of quality begged for more.
Liz Balkema
Mar 03, 2013 Liz Balkema rated it it was amazing
If you're a dog lover, you'll love reading these stories. Have a box of tissues handy for some of them, but it's worth it to read about the sweet souls that touch people's lives.
Wendi Olson
Mar 18, 2013 Wendi Olson rated it it was amazing
Of course I loved this book...read it with tissues nearby. It's a series of short stories about dogs and their humans. Very uplifting and a must read for dog lovers!!
Mary
Dec 02, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
This book was very inspirational! I enjoyed reading all of the stories that people had to tell, and I could relate to a lot of them with some of my dogs. I even cried over some of the stories.
Allison
Dec 06, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book and recommend it to every single person I know or run into who has pets. Amazing.
Mike
Dec 06, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and moving, touched my heart
Tara
Dec 06, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. All the stories touched my heart. They made me laugh and cry!
Jon
Mar 05, 2013 Jon rated it liked it
Scott Reads It!
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

For a couple of months all I wanted was a dog and I wouldn't stop begging for one. My parents made a deal with me that if the allergist said I wasn't allergic too dogs, I could get one. The allergist said I was allergic to both dogs and cats and my dreams were crushed. Besides wanting to get a dog, I had also dreamed of being a Veterinarian. [A simple solution to my allergy, would have been to get a hypoallergenic dog - a dog that doesn't shed]. I requeste
Gary Parkes
Jan 06, 2013 Gary Parkes rated it it was amazing
The Divinity of Dogs is an incredibly meaningful, heartwarming, and inspirational book. There are so many sentences that are so deep and profound -- I literally paused and reread to truly absorb their meaning in the book and in my own life. The author and her contributors bare their souls and innermost feelings to help deliver a book that gives way to what the author and lots of others believe -- dogs are truly divine. I have found more impactful writing in this book than in all the books I have ...more
Rachel Carr
Dec 06, 2013 Rachel Carr rated it really liked it
I received this book free from a goodreads giveaway.

This was a wonderful, uplifting set of stories about dogs and the people who care for them. The short stories made the book feel like a quick read. It was also nice because if I only had a few minutes, I could still get through one or two stories. Such a nice collection of stories that animal lovers, and especially dog lovers will enjoy reading.
Hyacinth
Jan 24, 2013 Hyacinth rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received as a giveaway on goodreads.com first reads. Thank you for choosing me and I look forward to reading it. So far I have enjoyed the book. The stories are very heartwarming, some even tear jerkers. I don't agree with all of the theology but being a pet owner I do understand the love one can have for their pet. I really enjoyed the book overall and I think when I get home I will look at Fancy (my Chihuahua Shih Tzu mix) differntly and hug her and tell her home much I appreciate her, lol!
Wg
Jul 19, 2013 Wg rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I'm a dog lover and a firm believer that dogs enrich our lives in many ways......most importantly with their unconditional love. Having said that, even if you are not a dog lover, you will love this book filled with uplifting and inspirational stories. I won this book thru a Good Reads giveaway. It was a very "Good Read". The book would make a great gift for the dog lovers in your life.
Shanna
Jan 13, 2014 Shanna rated it really liked it
This was a hard book to read and I certainly do love dogs! Just knowing that each of these short stories ended in having to say goodbye definitely set the tone. There is no doubt that God did create dogs with so many special attributes and for that everyone who reads it will certainly understand these stories.
EMP
Nov 15, 2012 EMP rated it it was ok
I'm a dog lover and normally enjoy inspirational animal stories. This book felt sappy and wasn't written very well. Almost like the "leftover" stories that didn't make it into another, better book. I wouldn't recommend it.
Lacey
Dec 06, 2013 Lacey rated it it was amazing
I won this book in the Goodreads Giveaways and I truly enjoyed it. I am a huge dog over and LOVE to read books about animals and their unconditional love for us humans. Dogs are truly our best friends. Great read! Will definitely read this book again in the future. I recommend reading it!
Lori
Nov 09, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals-dogs
a very nice book that is devoted to the love of dogs. there are a lot of short stories about people and their beloved dogs. many write what their dogs meant to them. many heart warming stories. some are real tear jerkers. anyone who loves dogs may enjoy this wonderful book. a very quick easy read..
Rita
Oct 04, 2013 Rita rated it really liked it
Wonderful nonfiction short stories about how dogs have changed someone's life for the better. Canines are such wonderful teachers. Probably all of us who have dogs would agree we've learned more about love & forgiveness from them than any other source.
  • Who's That Dog? 35 Fabulous Rescues That Found Their Forever Homes
  • Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure
  • The Man on the Third Floor
  • The Second-Chance Dog: A Love Story
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • Fired Up, Frantic, and Freaked Out: Training Crazy Dogs from Over the Top to Under Control
  • An Eagle Named Freedom: My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • The Books They Gave Me: True Stories of Life, Love, and Lit
  • The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy
  • Dog-Ma, the Zen of Slobber
  • A Christmas Home
  • The Bond: Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them
  • ABC ZooBorns!
  • Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog
  • Success Journal: Meet Your Goals One Page at a Time
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
Jennifer Skiff’s award-winning career as an international television journalist includes more than a decade as an investigative correspondent for CNN. Her specialty was the environment and among other industry honors, she has received the prestigious Environmental Media Award.

Passionate about animals and their welfare, she works with charities throughout the world to bring relief to abused and aba
More about Jennifer Skiff...

“Dogs, for a reason that can only be described as divine, have the ability to forgive, let go of the past, and live each day joyously. It’s something the rest of us strive for.” 27 likes
“As much as we look up at the stars and know there is more than life on earth, the divinity of dogs is just as unexplainable and profound. They may be the purest example of divine love in an earthly soul many of us ever experience. If we take their lead, open our hearts, and embrace their love, we may just find our own journey a lot more enlightening.” 12 likes