Start by marking “Mice” as Want to Read:
Mice

Mice

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  290 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
The lights are out—and so are the impy house mice—in this delightful nighttime cat-and-mouse adventure.

Could it be true that mice are…nice? That’s certainly what the cat thinks in this after-dark romp just perfect for young children. Featuring whimsical, comforting text and vibrant collage illustrations from Caldecott Honor medalist Lois Ehlert, this engaging story puts a
Published October 16th 2012 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mice

Melissa
I love this poem, it's an old favorite from my childhood. I have to admit I don't find these mice, with their buggy eyes and buck teeth, especially appealing. But I guess that fits with the line, "No one seems to like them much." :) And I *love* getting to the end and finding out who the narrator is!
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Rose Fyleman's MICE was one of my earliest favorite poems. I remember sitting in my footie-pajamas and asking my father to read it 'one more time', and I remember sitting down by myself working to memorize it. And to this day I still know it by heart, and it's still dear to me. (Of course I shared MICE with my own children.)

What Lois Ehlert brings to the poem is her wonderful whimsical artwork. In this case multi-media of paper and string and drawings. So you'll get to see the two toothy mice wi
Barbara
Marvelous collages fashioned from handmade papers and string form illustrations that follow the antics of mice as they move around a house at night, eating foods they shouldn't and having lots of fun. Although originally published in 1938, the poem is still lively and quick to engage the interest of listeners. It's rather cool to hear all the positive qualities of mice, as provided by a cat while noticing the labels beside the elements in the illustrations. For instance, while the text raves abo ...more
Tasha
Dec 12, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ehlert has combined her bright collage illustrations with a poem from Rose Fyleman. The poem is all about why mice are nice. They have small faces, pink ears and white teeth. No one else seems to like mice, because they run around the house at night and nibble on things. But in the end, mice are nice.

It’s a very simple poem with a wonderful playful spirit. Ehlert’s illustrations add to that playfulness with her triangular mice who run their jaunty way through the pages. The two of them are a de
Richie Partington
May 14, 2014 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
MICE by Rose Fyleman and Lois Ehlert, ill., Beach Lane, October 2012, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-5684-6

“I think mice

And no one seems
To like them much.

But I think mice
Are nice.”

I, myself am no big fan of mice, but I absolutely love this exceptional new picture book built around a poem that has been part of
The Library Lady
Dec 01, 2012 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lois Ehlert is on my perpetual "Illustrators So Good The Idiots On The Caldecott Committee Ignore Them" list--by the way, so is Eric Carle--but this isn't my favorite of her books.

The mice are cute, the art is creative and the final twist is nice--it just somehow doesn't appeal to me. And who in hell thought it was a good idea to put a half-moon (mousehole) cut out on the last page? The toddlers around here will rip it in shred in no time.

Sigh............
Linda Atkinson
Oct 17, 2012 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
Love Ehlert's illustrations to this classic poem. Will make even mouse haters have a change of heart.
Jen
Oct 29, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Someone thinks mice are nice...the cat!!!! haha. Very cute
Jim Erekson
Apr 06, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
Giving Fyleman's 1932 poem a punch line in the illustration was a really fun idea--a moment for inference! As each page progressed, I found I was more intrigued in looking closely at Ehlert's technique. This isn't supposed to be what happens when we look at art, but by the time I looked at her saltine cracker and bag of Cheerios I was hooked on looking at this. Her technique is far looser and rough around the edges than I was expecting.

Eating the Alphabet was one of our favorite alphabet books
David
Nov 11, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Mice by Rose Fyleman, illustrated by Lois Ehlert, is the rhyming explanation of why mice are nice, explained in a classic poem.

Ehlert's collage illustrations are constructed from handmade papers and string. The two mice (depicted using simple shapes) run around the house encoutering a variety of household items and food items. The mice exhibit lots of expression. They interact with geraniums, paint, a clock, paintbrushes, marking pens, ruler, paper punch, glue bottles, scissors, soap, a drinkin
Lu Benke
A terrific book for toddlers and beginning readers! I was thinking about those beautiful delicate illustrations of fairies when I first saw the name "Rose Fyleman" on the listing for this book. But it didn't take me long to get into the swing of Ehlert's amusing collage illustrations of two very cocky and crafty mice. The rhythm of the poem is accentuated by widely spreading the text throughout the book and making the print boldly white against black. I wondered what Ehlert's thoughts were behin ...more
Erin
May 10, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
In Mice Rose Fyleman’s classic poem about mice is paired with creative and unique collage art by Lois Ehlert for a new generation of young readers to enjoy. The book follows two mischievous mice on a nighttime romp through a dark house. Their path through the house is made apparent through the various discoveries they find along the way from office supplies, to toiletries, and finally the jackpot, the kitchen and its goodies within. Many of the objects throughout the book are labeled to encourag ...more
Samuel
Jun 08, 2016 Samuel rated it really liked it
I like this book because it is a different kind of children's book. A mice life using photographs and art, making the book a good read for children and a lighter and easier but entertaining. It makes mice seem not to bad to having around as a pet, not ones that are just running around the house at night like the book talks about, and have a cat that can't catch the one's that are not pets.
Alice
Mar 13, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a fun one. I like the pictures . The Illustrations of Lois Ehlert are always great. I love the cut out shapes and collage.

At first I was like... mice are evil, horrible wicked creatures...but then....you find out who the narrator is and then...you LOVE This book!
Lisa Lathrop
Mar 14, 2015 Lisa Lathrop rated it really liked it
Love the collage illustrations by Lois Ehlert! The book is about two little mischievous mice who get into anything and everything. Lots of labels by the illustrations (such as orange, cabbage, cupcake, etc) as told by a cat who thinks mice are rather nice.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
It is a nice simple little picture book. It seems like it is actually meant to be more of a point out what the various objects you see on the page are kind of book. This is fine, as kids need to learn to associate pictures with things, but the objects do not really go with the story. If they did it would be a little easier to transition into pointing out the objects.
Shelley
Oct 14, 2015 Shelley rated it liked it
the mice cut out and make all sorts of objects. Ending in a portrait of themselves and the cat. Great introduction to paper cutting and simple crafts with paper. can point out simple shapes.
Vivian
Mar 18, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This generously sized picture book featuring one phrase per page provides a practical introduction for a library pre-school story time about ... MICE!
Elaine Bearden
Oct 22, 2015 Elaine Bearden rated it really liked it
preS-early 1st
I just love the illlustrations in this book - the collage-y texture is really fun. Ehlert uses a previously published poem by Rose Fyleman (1877-1957) to illustrate for this book. Perfect for a mouse-themed storytime, followed by a mouse-y craft (make collage mice or puppets? - the cat would need to be in there somehow!). What is it with mice in books? I also like the "look and find" aspects to the pictures - with labels for things like "paintbrush" and "clock" etc. Published by Be
Annalise
Mar 14, 2016 Annalise rated it liked it
Shelves: third-year-books
Cute illustrations, story is okay.
Jenn
Dec 22, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for Ehlert's artwork.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it liked it
Shelves: mice, preschool, age
Wonderful illustr.ations by Lois Ehlert in this story about mice
Milo
Dec 23, 2012 Milo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Perfect for toddlers and new readers.
Recommended to Milo by: Mama liked it at the book store
Mama loves the illustrations in the story. I like them too. But, after reading the book I like to walk around the house repeating the poem. My favorite line, "I think mice are rather nice." Papa bought this book for me to give to Mama as a gift. They wrapped it at the store. I howled the whole way home because I wanted to read it and I couldn't because it was in a package.

Once home I quickly helped Mama unwrap it and we read it a dozen times. After, I sat on the floor and looked at the pages ov
Oct 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Cute
Ariel Cummins
Jan 14, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A classic poem by Fyleman is accompanied by paper and fiber collages of Ehlert to great success in this delightful picture book.

The illustrations jump off of the black pages, with the mice exploring a house and getting in to trouble a bit. The textures and colors are really engaging to look at, and lots of items are labeled for curious kiddos.

This would work really well for a story time. Toddlers or even babies would enjoy this short and rhyming poem.
Samantha
Nov 24, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
An ode to mice. Humans might see mice as pests, but to a cat mice are quite nice. The story takes place in the middle of the night as the mice get into all the goodies while the narrator (surprise! the cat) describes the creatures. The narrator is revealed in the last third of the book making a fun surprise for young readers.

Collage illustrations add visual interest to the story and items are labeled which helps build vocabulary. Great read aloud.
Kim
Apr 04, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I like the simple text and large simple collage pictures. There is a bit of random weirdness, the background objects are labeled (toothpaste! scissors) which makes it a great opportunity for identifying things one on one but some of the objects are just...around. There are two two page spreads featuring mice jumping over various fruits and veggies (a mango and a potato for example).

There is a bonus surprise ending though!
Vicki
Jan 31, 2013 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, tiny-tots
The illustrations are great - typical, fun Lois Ehlert style. There is much to look at and talk about. So then the text just doesn't seem to tell a great story.

I used this book during my Tiny Tots Class-storytime at our public library and the reading aloud just didn't seem to flow well for a group-especially when one word is left off a sentence until the next page.
Paula
Apr 04, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The poetic word lines to the fantastic illustrations by Lois Ehlert! I may not like mice in particular, but in the book they look so nice, cute and cuddly. Would make a wonderful storytime about mice. The illustrations are eye candy, colorful, intersting and funny. Makes me want to get crafty!

Read for Early Headstart storytimes 4.4.2013
Meghan Nels
Dec 20, 2012 Meghan Nels rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love this book! I enjoy Lois Ehlert's collage-style illustrations and feel these illustrations are even more ehanced with the brignt colors upon the black background. The ending got me chuckling when it was revealed the cat was telling the story! I want this book for my library but know my students are a little too old. It's a perfect read aloud for preschoolers!
  • Cat Tale
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Early Bird
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Step Gently Out
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • underGROUND
  • A Kiss Like This
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Horsefly and Honeybee