Start by marking “Mice” as Want to Read:
Mice

Mice

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The lights are out—and so are the impy house mice—in this delightful nighttime cat-and-mouse adventure.

Could it be true that mice are…nice? That’s certainly what the cat thinks in this after-dark romp just perfect for young children. Featuring whimsical, comforting text and vibrant collage illustrations from Caldecott Honor medalist
Published October 16th 2012 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mice

Melissa
I love this poem, it's an old favorite from my childhood. I have to admit I don't find these mice, with their buggy eyes and buck teeth, especially appealing. But I guess that fits with the line, "No one seems to like them much." :) And I *love* getting to the end and finding out who the narrator is!
Pam ☼Ask Me About FrankenKnee☼ Tee
Rose Fyleman's MICE was one of my earliest favorite poems. I remember sitting in my footie-pajamas and asking my father to read it 'one more time', and I remember sitting down by myself working to memorize it. And to this day I still know it by heart, and it's still dear to me. (Of course I shared MICE with my own children.)

What Lois Ehlert brings to the poem is her wonderful whimsical artwork. In this case multi-media of paper and string and drawings. So you'll get to see the two toothy mice wi
Barbara
Marvelous collages fashioned from handmade papers and string form illustrations that follow the antics of mice as they move around a house at night, eating foods they shouldn't and having lots of fun. Although originally published in 1938, the poem is still lively and quick to engage the interest of listeners. It's rather cool to hear all the positive qualities of mice, as provided by a cat while noticing the labels beside the elements in the illustrations. For instance, while the text raves abo ...more
Tasha
Ehlert has combined her bright collage illustrations with a poem from Rose Fyleman. The poem is all about why mice are nice. They have small faces, pink ears and white teeth. No one else seems to like mice, because they run around the house at night and nibble on things. But in the end, mice are nice.

It’s a very simple poem with a wonderful playful spirit. Ehlert’s illustrations add to that playfulness with her triangular mice who run their jaunty way through the pages. The two of them are a de
Richie Partington
MICE by Rose Fyleman and Lois Ehlert, ill., Beach Lane, October 2012, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-5684-6

“I think mice

And no one seems
To like them much.

But I think mice
Are nice.”

I, myself am no big fan of mice, but I absolutely love this exceptional new picture book built around a poem that has been part of
The Library Lady
Lois Ehlert is on my perpetual "Illustrators So Good The Idiots On The Caldecott Committee Ignore Them" list--by the way, so is Eric Carle--but this isn't my favorite of her books.

The mice are cute, the art is creative and the final twist is nice--it just somehow doesn't appeal to me. And who in hell thought it was a good idea to put a half-moon (mousehole) cut out on the last page? The toddlers around here will rip it in shred in no time.

Sigh............
Linda Atkinson
Love Ehlert's illustrations to this classic poem. Will make even mouse haters have a change of heart.
Jen
Someone thinks mice are nice...the cat!!!! haha. Very cute
Jim Erekson
Giving Fyleman's 1932 poem a punch line in the illustration was a really fun idea--a moment for inference! As each page progressed, I found I was more intrigued in looking closely at Ehlert's technique. This isn't supposed to be what happens when we look at art, but by the time I looked at her saltine cracker and bag of Cheerios I was hooked on looking at this. Her technique is far looser and rough around the edges than I was expecting.

Eating the Alphabet was one of our favorite alphabet books
David
Mice by Rose Fyleman, illustrated by Lois Ehlert, is the rhyming explanation of why mice are nice, explained in a classic poem.

Ehlert's collage illustrations are constructed from handmade papers and string. The two mice (depicted using simple shapes) run around the house encoutering a variety of household items and food items. The mice exhibit lots of expression. They interact with geraniums, paint, a clock, paintbrushes, marking pens, ruler, paper punch, glue bottles, scissors, soap, a drinkin
Lu Benke
A terrific book for toddlers and beginning readers! I was thinking about those beautiful delicate illustrations of fairies when I first saw the name "Rose Fyleman" on the listing for this book. But it didn't take me long to get into the swing of Ehlert's amusing collage illustrations of two very cocky and crafty mice. The rhythm of the poem is accentuated by widely spreading the text throughout the book and making the print boldly white against black. I wondered what Ehlert's thoughts were behin ...more
Erin
In Mice Rose Fyleman’s classic poem about mice is paired with creative and unique collage art by Lois Ehlert for a new generation of young readers to enjoy. The book follows two mischievous mice on a nighttime romp through a dark house. Their path through the house is made apparent through the various discoveries they find along the way from office supplies, to toiletries, and finally the jackpot, the kitchen and its goodies within. Many of the objects throughout the book are labeled to encourag ...more
Alice
This is a fun one. I like the pictures . The Illustrations of Lois Ehlert are always great. I love the cut out shapes and collage.

At first I was like... mice are evil, horrible wicked creatures...but then....you find out who the narrator is and then...you LOVE This book!
Lisa Lathrop
Love the collage illustrations by Lois Ehlert! The book is about two little mischievous mice who get into anything and everything. Lots of labels by the illustrations (such as orange, cabbage, cupcake, etc) as told by a cat who thinks mice are rather nice.
Stephanie
It is a nice simple little picture book. It seems like it is actually meant to be more of a point out what the various objects you see on the page are kind of book. This is fine, as kids need to learn to associate pictures with things, but the objects do not really go with the story. If they did it would be a little easier to transition into pointing out the objects.
Jenn
I'm a sucker for Ehlert's artwork.
Elaine Bearden
preS-early 1st
I just love the illlustrations in this book - the collage-y texture is really fun. Ehlert uses a previously published poem by Rose Fyleman (1877-1957) to illustrate for this book. Perfect for a mouse-themed storytime, followed by a mouse-y craft (make collage mice or puppets? - the cat would need to be in there somehow!). What is it with mice in books? I also like the "look and find" aspects to the pictures - with labels for things like "paintbrush" and "clock" etc. Published by Be
Milo
Dec 23, 2012 Milo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Perfect for toddlers and new readers.
Recommended to Milo by: Mama liked it at the book store
Mama loves the illustrations in the story. I like them too. But, after reading the book I like to walk around the house repeating the poem. My favorite line, "I think mice are rather nice." Papa bought this book for me to give to Mama as a gift. They wrapped it at the store. I howled the whole way home because I wanted to read it and I couldn't because it was in a package.

Once home I quickly helped Mama unwrap it and we read it a dozen times. After, I sat on the floor and looked at the pages ov
Ariel Cummins
A classic poem by Fyleman is accompanied by paper and fiber collages of Ehlert to great success in this delightful picture book.

The illustrations jump off of the black pages, with the mice exploring a house and getting in to trouble a bit. The textures and colors are really engaging to look at, and lots of items are labeled for curious kiddos.

This would work really well for a story time. Toddlers or even babies would enjoy this short and rhyming poem.
Samantha
An ode to mice. Humans might see mice as pests, but to a cat mice are quite nice. The story takes place in the middle of the night as the mice get into all the goodies while the narrator (surprise! the cat) describes the creatures. The narrator is revealed in the last third of the book making a fun surprise for young readers.

Collage illustrations add visual interest to the story and items are labeled which helps build vocabulary. Great read aloud.
Kim
I like the simple text and large simple collage pictures. There is a bit of random weirdness, the background objects are labeled (toothpaste! scissors) which makes it a great opportunity for identifying things one on one but some of the objects are just...around. There are two two page spreads featuring mice jumping over various fruits and veggies (a mango and a potato for example).

There is a bonus surprise ending though!
Vicki
The illustrations are great - typical, fun Lois Ehlert style. There is much to look at and talk about. So then the text just doesn't seem to tell a great story.

I used this book during my Tiny Tots Class-storytime at our public library and the reading aloud just didn't seem to flow well for a group-especially when one word is left off a sentence until the next page.
Paula
I loved this book! The poetic word lines to the fantastic illustrations by Lois Ehlert! I may not like mice in particular, but in the book they look so nice, cute and cuddly. Would make a wonderful storytime about mice. The illustrations are eye candy, colorful, intersting and funny. Makes me want to get crafty!

Read for Early Headstart storytimes 4.4.2013
Meghan Nels
Love this book! I enjoy Lois Ehlert's collage-style illustrations and feel these illustrations are even more ehanced with the brignt colors upon the black background. The ending got me chuckling when it was revealed the cat was telling the story! I want this book for my library but know my students are a little too old. It's a perfect read aloud for preschoolers!
Dolly
Mar 19, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
This is a short and humorous tale about mice. The highlight of this rhyming book are the collage illustrations that depict the mice with colorful, textured shapes. The narrative is very simple and will appeal to younger children. The items with which the mice interact are all labeled for parents to point out to children during storytime.
Robin
Ehlert's collages illustrate this poem by Rose Fyleman. Very textural pieces of handmade paper (they look like felt and cloth) serve as the mice bodies, with string for lets. Textured paper is used for the vegetables (the mango and banana are especially realistic), and strong shapes are reminiscent of Color Zoo.
Mary
This is an interesting book about mice…the illustrations are found object pictures of mice. The text is really short and the pictures leave a lot to talk about, which is great and interactive for a young child in a one-on-one setting. I don’t really like mice…so I don’t share this author’s sentiments.
Meg
Oh. My goodness. Absolutely spectacular!! The greatest collage illustrations-- may be some of my favorite kid's book illustrations ever. I laughed through the whole thing. Lovely, clever, humorous use of mixed media. And the poem is great too. :)
Elisabeth
At first I couldn't understand why Lois Ehlert would illustrate a book she could have written (better?) herself. Then I read the bio of the author at the end. Ahhhh. I am obviously unfamiliar with Rose Fyleman. :) Clever twist at the end.
Tracy
I have always loved this poem, but Ehlert adds a little kick at the end which is humorous. I do have to say that after having my cat bring in one mouse, who terrorized my mother, I am not so fond of them anymore.
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • One Pup's Up
  • Horsefly and Honeybee
  • underGROUND
  • Hello Baby!
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
  • 1-2-3 Peas
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  • A Kiss Like This
A Fairy Went A-Marketing Fairies and Chimneys (Dodo Press) The Fairy Flute Mary Middling and Other Silly Folk: Nursery Rhymes and Nonsense Poems まほうのかさ