Start by marking “My Year in Meals” as Want to Read:
My Year in Meals

My Year in Meals

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
For the first time, #1 New York Times bestselling author Rachael Ray offers fans a glimpse into her own kitchen diary. From everyday meals to complicated culinary feats, Rachael reveals what she herself cooks for her family and friends for one whole year.

Ever wonder what Rachael Ray cooks when the cameras aren’t rolling? Here she gives you an inside look into her kitchen f
Published November 13th 2012 by Atria Books (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Year in Meals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Year in Meals

Jenny
Dec 20, 2012 Jenny rated it it was ok
These recipes just seem way too involved for everyday cooking... I like some of her stuff, but I want simple recipes that don't require a lot of specialized ingredients. Not one of my faves.
Lisa
Dec 31, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: recipes-cooking
One of my strategies for keeping my weight down is looking at recipe books like this one by Rachael Ray. The recipes are far too complicated and involved, and require too many obscure ingredients to actually make. Frankly it is hard to even get inspired to modify the recipe. However, it is nice to page through, look at the pictures, and mentally scan the recipes. That's the calorie free way to do it!
Check out the name of this dish on p. 253: Pissaladiere. Really? Not in my house!
Hoyt
Oct 04, 2015 Hoyt rated it liked it
I was very interested in the concept for this book: learning what a TV chef actually eats at home. So what did I learn? Ms. Ray eats a LOT of Italian food, so nearly every recipe lists EVOO and Fresno chiles. This book is maybe 60-70% Italian recipes. She also uses a lot of ingredients that may be difficult to find in your regular non-New York supermarkets. Still, a lot of the recipes sound tasty, so I'll have to try them out over the next few months.

As a cook book, this is not as easy to follow
Justine
Dec 05, 2014 Justine rated it liked it
Well, it was fun to read, but the recipes are not really geared toward real life in terms of cost of ingredients and complicated recipes. I mean its obvious she does not have the need to stick to any type of food budget, but I cringe to think about her monthly food spending. Probably more than my mortgage, car, and school loans combined. And lots of hard to find ingredients. My local grocery store does not have ramps or zucchini flowers, which were prominent in several recipes. But the book isn' ...more
Ashley Gibson
Dec 21, 2014 Ashley Gibson rated it it was amazing
I recently bought this book! I mainly bought it because of the recipes featuring ramps. I can't wait for ramp season so I can try some of these recipes. They sound delicious! I live in an area where you can go and pick your own ramps so it's not so costly. Unfortunately the season on ramps is extremely short but it's good while it lasts. A lot of the ingredients are stuff that I can get here so I am so excited to try out the recipes!

I love looking through this book and planning out the meals I w
Minna
Oct 24, 2013 Minna rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the format of this book as a BOOK - I'm not sure I'd like it so much as a cookbook. Nonetheless, I marked at least twenty recipes I'd like to come back to and try out. Many of them looked a little ambitious, but I figured they were mostly all weekend recipes (for your AVERAGE cook, anyways).

One thing that I would have edited about this book: there was a lot of repetition: three or four versions of coq au vin, pasta with one or two ingredients changed. Just tell us in one recipe
Kayla Tornello
Mar 25, 2015 Kayla Tornello rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, cookbook
I have made quite a few recipes from this book and they have all tasted amazing! I really appreciate that she features seasonal ingredients, which helps me use up the vegetables I receive from a farm share. Last night, I even got my three-year-old to eat macaroni and cheese that had mushrooms and hot peppers in it. I haven't tried any of the cocktails yet, but they look good, too. This cookbook is one of the select few that get to live on my kitchen counter.
Chris
Jan 07, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Some other reviews identify that her ingredients "spare no expense," that's where imagination plays a role. You might say that I use her book more as inspiration rather than direction, since I have never followed a recipe to the "T", however the meals I have prepared from her ideas are incredible. My friends and roommates are always a fan when I say it's a Rachael Ray night!
Monique
Jul 15, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
I think Rachael Ray is a great home chef. I became a fan of her 30-minute meals. This is more of a book then a cookbook and certainly not her regular thing. The stories, pictures and recipes are a treasure for her family and friends as the memories jump from the pages. I absolutely loved the cocktails offered by her husband, John Cusimano.
Sherri
Apr 12, 2014 Sherri rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I appreciatd the photography of this book ij that they were all photos taken by them, no photo shoots of plates of food.

Most tecipes were doable however I have to wonder where all the leftovers are since there was a meal for almost EVERY day.

The back is a listing of cocktail recipes that John has made (which I didnt realize) so its like a two for one.
Mary Lynn Noonan-Toschi
Aug 16, 2015 Mary Lynn Noonan-Toschi rated it it was amazing
I bought two copies of this book for gifts. One for my friend and the other for my son. Both have loved the book and enjoyed the recipes. My friend is an accomplished cook and my son is a novice. Both have successfully made several of the recipes.
Meghan
Mar 10, 2015 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
I've always been a fan of Rachael since her debut on food network. I've been waiting a really long time for this book of her best recipes throughout the year plus bonus cocktail recipes from her husband. She also includes photos of her dishes which is always a plus.
Erin H
Oct 06, 2014 Erin H rated it liked it
Very much a departure from her typical cookbooks. The story telling in the book is like going on the journey with the cute couple. More of a book with recipes than a traditional cookbook. Quite an enjoyable read either way.
Nancy
Oct 07, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok
Too many ingredients and steps.
Dodie
Jan 14, 2013 Dodie rated it really liked it
A fun to read and nicely laid out cookbook - and though none of the recipes are particularly groundbreaking, I found many great suggestions for simple and easy to put together fare. A couple of examples: Green Pastitsio (with swiss chard, dill, mint and parsley) and a version of caponata featuring cubanelle peppers, golden raisins and pistachios. And then there's the flip book part - John Cuimano, Ray's husband, does cocktails in the back of the book (or is it the front? cocktails should go firs ...more
Anne-marie
Dec 19, 2013 Anne-marie added it
Shelves: cookbooks
This was a great cookbook as it is more personal than Rachael has ever been. I loved the recipes even if they did not always use common ingredients. I loved that I could get this from the library as I wanted to buy it, yet after reading it, there were not enough recipes that I would use, and since I don't drink alcohol as a change, the cocktails looked good yet I could not make them. If you love Racheal and want to know more about her than from her show, this is the cookbook for you.
Kerri
Apr 08, 2016 Kerri rated it liked it
Shelves: food
I only tried 4 of the recipes. Most seemed more complicated than what I'm willing to do. Loved the cocktails in the back of the book though.
Linda
Mar 10, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, 4-stars
I think this is Rachael's best cookbook ever. Lots of content: multiple recipes on every pages with side notes. Like if a recipe calls for poached chicken, she tells how she poached it. Or what she served before and with it. Organized chronologically: seasonal presentation works well too. Did not like the add-on, My Year in Cocktails by John Cusimano, at all. Everything was too complicated with weird ingredients for me to consider trying (or even tasting!) any of them.
Michele J
Dec 24, 2012 Michele J rated it did not like it
I have most of Rachael Ray's other cookbooks and I love them all. I think ever since she married John her recipes have gotten more complicated. I miss the simple comfort food she used to make. Since when does she cook with ramps? Since now, I guess. If there are one or two recipes I would actually make out of this book that would be a lot. I'm glad I borrowed it from the library instead of buying it.
Suzanne
Jun 12, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
it was enjoyable to read the recipes and look through the pictures. most of the recipes were too involved or required ingredients that would be hard to get in regular supermarkets. The cocktail recipes had too many obscure ingredients. it would have been expensive to buy so many different liquors. The book also didn't include details about the story behind recipes and cooking every day.
Brandi
Nov 29, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it
It's a fun cookbook...Love the Italy vacation section. I also love the fact that she and her husband John took all the photos for the book. I can't wait to try some of the recipes, but it's the Cocktails section that looks the most fun. I love that they put it in the back of the book and have it so you FLIP it! So fun Rachel Ray. Thank you.
Gina
Jan 04, 2013 Gina rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Instead of being organized in catergories, it is organzied by days of the week of the month, meaning it is hard to find a recipe when you want it. I checked this out of the library and did not actualy find anything that I wanted to photocopy and make later....probably because I found it so disorganized
Barbara
Nov 29, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok
I can't believe she makes these kind of meals everyday. These are not that kind of recipes. Who is she kidding? And the drinks--you would need to own a liquor store to stock all the odd types of liquor. Although some of them looked tasty.
Erika
I love you Rachael Ray, but I don't understand how you live the life you lead and then go home and cook these meals every single day.

There were some really good recipes in here but I don't know if I have the stamina to make them.

TWSS.

Dppeedin
Jan 12, 2013 Dppeedin rated it really liked it
This book is interesting to read, especially for each month as to what she eats. But as far as cooking the recipes, I would need to look up some of the ingredients and then go to a specialty store to buy them. But it is fun to read.
Madeline {Plan to Happy}
Dec 20, 2012 Madeline {Plan to Happy} rated it it was amazing
Loved the Behind the Scenes idea here. I might not be able to find lots of the stuff in the recipes, but they were still fun for me to read as a RR fan and fun to take a little food adventure I otherwise might not have taken.
Gretchen
Dec 29, 2012 Gretchen rated it really liked it
ok, so this is another picture book, for me...I am not the greatest cook so I love to look through cookbooks for ideas...found a few, many others were well above my skills!! and tastes!
Maria
Jun 24, 2013 Maria rated it liked it
I liked the looks of this one so I put it on my Wish List on Amazon. While not recipes I can manage to whip together after work, there are some good weekend meals in here.
Jan 29, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it
Boring and repetitive, this should have been just a 'book' with a few recipes and variations and not a recipe book.
Natalie
Dec 04, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-cookbooks
Rachael can't possibly cook like this everyday. Some good recipes nevertheless!
  • Everyday Food: Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, All Under 500 Calories
  • Ten Dollar Dinners: 140 Recipes and Tips for Delicious, Budget-Friendly Meals the Whole Family Can Enjoy
  • Michael Symon's 5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners
  • Sunny's Kitchen: Easy Food For Real Life
  • Quick Fix Meals: 200 Simple, Delicious Recipes to Make Mealtime Easy
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: The Funky Finds in Flavortown: America's Classic Joints and Killer Comfort Food
  • Perfect Recipes for Having People Over
  • Dinner: The Playbook: A 30-Day Plan for Mastering the Art of the Family Meal
  • The Tucci Cookbook
  • Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana
  • Trophy Cupcakes and Parties!: Deliciously Fun Party Ideas and Recipes from Seattle's Prize-Winning Cupcake Bakery
  • The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
  • Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady & Sons, Too!
  • The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites
  • Flat Belly Diet! Cookbook: 200 New MUFA Recipes
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook: How to make your own condiments and essentials
Rachael Domenica Ray is a two-time Emmy-nominated television personality and author. She hosts the syndicated talk/lifestyle program Rachael Ray and two Food Network series, 30 Minute Meals and Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels. Ray has also written a series of cookbooks based on the 30 Minute Meals concept, and launched a magazine, Every Day with Rachael Ray, in 2006.

Prior to the launch of her talk sho
More about Rachael Ray...