Start by marking “Driver's Education” as Want to Read:
Driver's Education

Driver's Education

3.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
He’s a big man, my granddad, not necessarilyin size or proportion, but in other ways, like the manner in which he lives. The trouble in which he finds himself. The magic that heconjures and the spectacular things he believes. When he was a younger man, Alistair McPhee was fond of escaping in his ’56 Chevy Bel Air, Lucy, named for the cherished wife who died and left hi ...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Driver's Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driver's Education

Jaime
Dec 04, 2014 Jaime rated it really liked it
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway

When Finn McPhee receives a phone call from his grandfather to "bring her to him," the young man grabs his friend Randal and heads from NYC to California. Their mode of transportation? A yellow Chevy which granddad named "Lucy" after his late wife, a car that is embedded in the family history. Along the way, Finn recounts stories of his grandfather's life; stories that are chapters of the book, which alternate with facts from Finn's father's (Colin McPhee) life.
Heather
This was a interesting story about three generations of men. The grandfather is dying and wants his grandson to bring drive his car cross country to him. The grandson decides to visit the places that his grandfather talked about over the years and see if the crazy stories really did happen. The father has a different view of the grandfather than the grandson. Add in the best friend and a very old cat, and let the stories begin!

This was a fun book to read that did keep my attention, although I fe
Asia
Mar 15, 2013 Asia rated it liked it
I won this book in a first reads giveaway and I have to say that it’s a lot different from the books I normally read. In Driver’s Education’s case being different from the piles of fantasy/dystopian novels I've read is a very good thing. This book was a breath of fresh air. And as soon as the story starts you’re taken into the lives of Finn, Alistair, and Collin McPhee. The book alternates between Finn’s and Collin’s point of views and you’re not only presented with pieces of their lives but tha ...more
Jay
Dec 05, 2015 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Ginder offers an interesting narrative that shifts between son and father each chapter. While each voice was genuine, I would have preferred to have one narrator for the entire book for the sake of consistency.

Ginder did a great job of developing the characters in the book, especially emphasizing their dishonesty.

The grandfather and grandson are excellent foils. Both tell tall tales in different ways: The son edits film to embellish reality television, while the grandfather engages in more tra
Katie
Jan 29, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

A mix of tall tales, true stories, and outright lies, "Driver's Education" is a multigenerational meditation on storytelling. While I like the concept, I preferred the father's recollections of his childhood and parents. His own made-up tales (and his father's) masked sad truths that were too bitter to live with. The son's reasons for his fibs (and exaggerating his grandfather's stories) never felt authentic. What was perhaps meant to b
Christine
Mar 17, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
grandfather, father and son are all storytellers in their own ways.
Jason
Mar 09, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
* I won this book for free through the Goodreads first reads program.

Mr. Ginder has written a amazing book. It is a road trip novel that also gives you the perfect snapshots of normal everyday life. I loved every minute of this book. It is also about fathers and there sons, and there sometimes very complex realationships. This one will go on the read again pile. I wish I could give this book much more than five stars. I urge everyone to read this book, it is a great american novel.
Krissy
Mar 11, 2016 Krissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I cannot say enough good things about this book. The language, the relationships, everything draws you in. The minute you fall in love with one character the next chapter will sway you. The author's clarity in writing and the truth he places in each moment, getting you enthralled in what will happen in the next is blatantly apparent. Read this book. It will leave you hoping for his next.
Chelseyam
Mar 21, 2013 Chelseyam rated it liked it
I was mixed with the book. The father's recollections were great. It was as if you were hearing stories from your own family, at times. The tall tales, on the other hand, echoed Big Fish a bit too much. I sort of hoped there wouldn't be a fish reference at all, to be honest. It was a fun read though and I'd certainly pick up other titles from this author without a second thought.
Renae
Mar 07, 2013 Renae rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I liked this book. I think what I enjoyed most about it is the way that it's written alternating between father and son but in a way I've never seen done before. The character they meet in Wyoming made me laugh. Give this book a chance if you're looking for a refreshing take on male relationships as well as writing style.

**I won this book in a goodreads giveaway***
April
Jan 15, 2013 April marked it as to-read
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
John Blockinger
Jul 03, 2013 John Blockinger rated it liked it
This was an ok coming of age/road trip story. Anyone who has lived in Pittsburgh and/or Columbus will enjoy the stops on the road where the characters visit real neighborhoods you will recognize. Tall tales are enjoyable, and the author has fun testing our believability at several levls.
Karen Allen
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure exactly how I felt about this book. On the one hand, I really liked it, on the other, not so much. It was interesting, quirky and well paced, but I rarely felt a connection to the characters.
Gary
Nov 29, 2013 Gary rated it liked it
Very interesting. May also read "This is how it starts". Stories, stories. And more stories.
Trent
Jul 23, 2013 Trent rated it it was ok
If you want to read this book, please buy it from your local independent bookseller.
Anne
Aug 26, 2013 Anne rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. It had a weird yellowface scene, and then it meandered.
Wendy
Feb 09, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Entertaining read, inventive style, interesting commentary on current culture
Kurt
Oct 02, 2013 Kurt rated it it was ok
Goes from OK to Mediocre to....I didn't read the 2nd choice of ending.
Roxane
Dec 22, 2012 Roxane rated it it was ok
Interesting premise but not at all well written or conceived. Hard to finish.
Lupe
May 28, 2013 Lupe rated it it was ok
Ugh - I give up. I just couldn't get into this book.
Clare  O'Connor
Dec 25, 2012 Clare O'Connor rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Clever, witty and perfectly paced.
Annwsk2354
Apr 03, 2013 Annwsk2354 rated it it was ok
started great but i got bored.
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Kelly Bolin
Kelly Bolin marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Emily Taylor
Emily Taylor rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
LInda L
LInda L rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
  • Billy Blue Sky
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Secrets and Malice
  • Performance Anomalies
  • I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol
  • New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut
  • Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)
  • An Abduction Revelation: The Comeback Kid Returns
  • ReEarth
  • Nostalgia, My Enemy
  • SOUL'D OUT
  • The Life and Times of a Black Southern Doctor
  • The Art Fair
  • The Eye of Horus
  • Without a Word (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #8)
  • Skinny Dipping in Daylight
  • The Dying of the Light: Interval
  • East of the Sun
Grant Ginder was raised in southern California and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2005, where he was an editor at 34th Street, the school’s humor and culture magazine. He currently works as a speechwriter at the Center for American Progress and resides in New York City.
More about Grant Ginder...

“This is true: if there was one thing my father taught me, it's that endings never work out the way you want them to--that they're terrible, and this one is no different. They're like the last drops of wine, the final puffs of a cigarette. They're Sunday nights, or the last afternoon of summer. They're flat tires and wet pairs of socks and cold dinners. They're the sort of thing that--no matter the effort, no matter the discipline--no one can get right.” 4 likes