Start by marking “Driver's Education” as Want to Read:
Driver's Education

Driver's Education

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  23 reviews
He’s a big man, my granddad, not necessarilyin size or proportion, but in other ways, like the manner in which he lives. The trouble in which he finds himself. The magic that heconjures and the spectacular things he believes. When he was a younger man, Alistair McPhee was fond of escaping in his ’56 Chevy Bel Air, Lucy, named for the cherished wife who died and left him ...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Driver's Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driver's Education

Jaime
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway

When Finn McPhee receives a phone call from his grandfather to "bring her to him," the young man grabs his friend Randal and heads from NYC to California. Their mode of transportation? A yellow Chevy which granddad named "Lucy" after his late wife, a car that is embedded in the family history. Along the way, Finn recounts stories of his grandfather's life; stories that are chapters of the book, which alternate with facts from Finn's father's (Colin McPhee) life.
Heather
This was a interesting story about three generations of men. The grandfather is dying and wants his grandson to bring drive his car cross country to him. The grandson decides to visit the places that his grandfather talked about over the years and see if the crazy stories really did happen. The father has a different view of the grandfather than the grandson. Add in the best friend and a very old cat, and let the stories begin!

This was a fun book to read that did keep my attention, although I fe
Gayle
Jan 03, 2015 Gayle added it
It was on Ok book, but not what I usually read. Took me several months to get through it. It covers three generations of men-all story tellers. The Grandfather who tells a great story, his son who is writer and his grandson who recounts the stories the grandfather has told him as he journeys across the country to take his grandfather his car.
Ashley Shurer
I won this book through Goodreads' First Reads. While I can completely understand how this book would appeal to a lot of people, it's just not my kind of book. It's extremely well-written and the storyline seems like it would be interesting, but I only made it to page 95 before giving up. I think my biggest problem is that I have about four other books that I'm dying to start right now, and I'm pretty sure they'd all be up my alley a bit more than this one, which made it difficult to continue. I ...more
Asia
I won this book in a first reads giveaway and I have to say that it’s a lot different from the books I normally read. In Driver’s Education’s case being different from the piles of fantasy/dystopian novels I've read is a very good thing. This book was a breath of fresh air. And as soon as the story starts you’re taken into the lives of Finn, Alistair, and Collin McPhee. The book alternates between Finn’s and Collin’s point of views and you’re not only presented with pieces of their lives but tha ...more
Katie
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

A mix of tall tales, true stories, and outright lies, "Driver's Education" is a multigenerational meditation on storytelling. While I like the concept, I preferred the father's recollections of his childhood and parents. His own made-up tales (and his father's) masked sad truths that were too bitter to live with. The son's reasons for his fibs (and exaggerating his grandfather's stories) never felt authentic. What was perhaps meant to b
Christine
grandfather, father and son are all storytellers in their own ways.
Jason
* I won this book for free through the Goodreads first reads program.

Mr. Ginder has written a amazing book. It is a road trip novel that also gives you the perfect snapshots of normal everyday life. I loved every minute of this book. It is also about fathers and there sons, and there sometimes very complex realationships. This one will go on the read again pile. I wish I could give this book much more than five stars. I urge everyone to read this book, it is a great american novel.
Krissy
I cannot say enough good things about this book. The language, the relationships, everything draws you in. The minute you fall in love with one character the next chapter will sway you. The author's clarity in writing and the truth he places in each moment, getting you enthralled in what will happen in the next is blatantly apparent. Read this book. It will leave you hoping for his next.
Chelseyam
I was mixed with the book. The father's recollections were great. It was as if you were hearing stories from your own family, at times. The tall tales, on the other hand, echoed Big Fish a bit too much. I sort of hoped there wouldn't be a fish reference at all, to be honest. It was a fun read though and I'd certainly pick up other titles from this author without a second thought.
Renae
I liked this book. I think what I enjoyed most about it is the way that it's written alternating between father and son but in a way I've never seen done before. The character they meet in Wyoming made me laugh. Give this book a chance if you're looking for a refreshing take on male relationships as well as writing style.

**I won this book in a goodreads giveaway***
April
Jan 15, 2013 April marked it as to-read
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
John Blockinger
This was an ok coming of age/road trip story. Anyone who has lived in Pittsburgh and/or Columbus will enjoy the stops on the road where the characters visit real neighborhoods you will recognize. Tall tales are enjoyable, and the author has fun testing our believability at several levls.
Karen Allen
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure exactly how I felt about this book. On the one hand, I really liked it, on the other, not so much. It was interesting, quirky and well paced, but I rarely felt a connection to the characters.
Gary
Very interesting. May also read "This is how it starts". Stories, stories. And more stories.
Trent
If you want to read this book, please buy it from your local independent bookseller.
Anne
I couldn't finish this book. It had a weird yellowface scene, and then it meandered.
Wendy
Feb 09, 2013 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Entertaining read, inventive style, interesting commentary on current culture
Kurt
Goes from OK to Mediocre to....I didn't read the 2nd choice of ending.
Roxane
Interesting premise but not at all well written or conceived. Hard to finish.
Lupe
Ugh - I give up. I just couldn't get into this book.
Clare  O'Connor
Clever, witty and perfectly paced.
Annwsk2354
started great but i got bored.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Braxas
Braxas marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Jacco
Jacco marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Billy Blue Sky
  • I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol
  • Performance Anomalies
  • Secrets and Malice
  • Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)
  • An Abduction Revelation: The Comeback Kid Returns
  • Nostalgia, My Enemy
  • A Town of Empty Rooms
  • New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut
  • East of the Sun
  • Hellbox (Nameless Detective, #36)
  • Quests of Shadowind: Sky Shifter (Young Adult Series - Book 1)
  • Crossbones Yard (Alice Quentin #1)
  • Profiled
  • The Carrion Birds
  • The Tao of Now: Daily Wisdom from Mystics, Sages, Poets, and Saints
  • A New Birth of Freedom: The Translator
Grant Ginder was raised in southern California and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2005, where he was an editor at 34th Street, the school’s humor and culture magazine. He currently works as a speechwriter at the Center for American Progress and resides in New York City.
More about Grant Ginder...
This Is How It Starts: A Novel

“This is true: if there was one thing my father taught me, it's that endings never work out the way you want them to--that they're terrible, and this one is no different. They're like the last drops of wine, the final puffs of a cigarette. They're Sunday nights, or the last afternoon of summer. They're flat tires and wet pairs of socks and cold dinners. They're the sort of thing that--no matter the effort, no matter the discipline--no one can get right.” 0 likes