Start by marking “The Woman from Paris” as Want to Read:
The Woman from Paris

The Woman from Paris

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,373 Ratings  ·  241 Reviews
They had built their lives in this grand old house, its walls encompassing their family and their secrets. Nestled in the sweeping hills they have always known, the house is part of their history, their heritage. But these four walls also hold a secret.

When Lord Frampton dies in a skiing accident, a beautiful young woman named Phaedra appears at his funeral—claiming to be
Published February 5th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman from Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman from Paris

Minty McBunny
Feb 23, 2013 Minty McBunny rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013, february-2013
On the first page, where she writes "the sun had shone" I rolled my eyes. After a few pages of annoyingly florid prose, I almost quit. But I have been recently spending my time with Tana French's Dublin Murder squad, so I wanted something light and fluffy to wash away the heartbreak of those stories, so I pressed on.

The best thing I can say about it is it was a quick read. I can't imagine the "twist" was meant to be a surprise, it's telegraphed almost from the get-go, but to me the surprise was
Cardmaker
Aug 21, 2013 Cardmaker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh, what can I say? The story started off okay. Then it got stupid. Then it got really silly. Then it just got boring because the ending was so easy to figure out.

The main character, Phaedra, was someone I doubt I'd warm up to in real life since she's so perfect. She goes about the family correcting everyone's faults and making them all more perfect, like she is. *gag*

I wouldn't wish this book on my worst enemy. I guess it's okay if you like pompous upperclass Brits who have servants doi
Tvtowerbaby
On the positive side, this book has a very strong sense of place: the large country estate is described lovingly. For many of us, the social stratum at the centre of this novel is entirely alien and the author does a good job of breathing life into the people and geography of Fairfield Park.

And I finished the novel. Which doesn't always happen.

But there are a number of aspects of the book that irritated me. First Phaedra. As annoying a character you will be hard pressed to find. Unless, of cou
Sharon Chance
Feb 13, 2013 Sharon Chance rated it it was ok
I normally enjoy Santa Montefiore's novels, but this particular one did nothing for me! I didn't like the characters at all - thought they were all whiney and bratish!
Literary
Jan 26, 2013 Literary rated it liked it
Kathy's Review:

Chick lit isn't really my thing. I'll read it on occasion, but it's not the sort of thing I would seek out on my own. This is chick lit of the highest order. I kind of picture the Framptons as a modern-day Downton Abbey. Super rich, live in a huge manor, have all the money and toys and live the good life. It's a peek into a luxurious lifestyle most of us will never see. The writing is very rich and descriptive, so I commend the author for that. She paints a vivid picture of the Fr
Bookworm
Feb 10, 2013 Bookworm rated it really liked it
Gosh, I love a good book. As soon as I opened The Woman from Paris, I was treated to interesting and witty characters, a multi layered plot and a wonderful setting.
There are secrets, romance and family drama all woven into this novel and I happily devoured it all. I lived inside these pages for a little while.

Lord George Frampton is head of a well to do family in London, he dies in a mountain climbing accident in the Alps. Phaedra Chancellor arrives at Frampton's funeral claiming to be his illeg
Dede
Aug 28, 2015 Dede rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read a review in a newspaper almost a year ago about Santa Montefiore's work. The review was glowing, writing lovingly of her prose and character construction.

I have to say that I found myself only partly agreeing with both statements after purchasing this book. While Montefiore's writing is certainly engrossing, with wonderfully descriptive (albeit sometimes repetitive) landscapes and enthralling characters, this book leaned - as it progressed - into predictable and annoying.

The family the pl
Cath
May 30, 2012 Cath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanneer Lord Frampton, George, overlijdt ligt het Engelse landgoed Fairfield Park er stil bij. Niemand weet dat een onbekende gast voor opschudding zal zorgen.
Aan het einde van de uitvaartplechtigheid meldt Phaedra, de buitenechtelijke dochter van George, zich. Behalve dit nieuws blijkt ze nog eens onweerstaanbaar mooi te zijn én is ze toegevoegd aan het testament.
Waarom komt de familie dit op deze manier te weten? Had George haar niet eerder kunnen introduceren?

David, de zoon des huizes, heeft
Laura Seaman
Jul 13, 2015 Laura Seaman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Debdanz
Mar 28, 2013 Debdanz rated it it was ok
Could have used 100+ pages edited out, and really how many times can one author use the word "frisson?" But sometimes it is just as enjoyable to be annoyed by a book as like a book, and this was one of those cases. Very "Downton Abbey-ish" but modern. Lots of foreshadowing that led to the obvious. Incredibly redundant, but not a total waste of time. :)
Elizabeth
Apr 14, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Good story. It reminded me a little of Downton Abbey.
LindyLouMac
Nov 13, 2014 LindyLouMac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NB: Title in USA is 'The Woman From Paris'

I first took an interest in this author’s writing in 2001 when her first novel Meet Me Under The Umbo Tree was published. I went on to read the next two as they were released The Butterfly Box and The Forget Me Not Sonata. It was another five years before any more of her books came my way when in 2008 I read two more of her novels Last Voyage of the Valentina and The Gypsy Madonna. It was to be another three years before I read two more of her novels, Th
Valerie
This is my first book by this author, and must say that I look forward to reading more by her. The story opened up on a sad note, and picked up from there. I was already engrossed within the first few pages, and could visualize the characters and their personalities, mood & demeanor. The Dowager Lady Frampton cracked me up & had me literally laughing out loud on several occasions due to her snarkiness and irreverent humor - somewhat reminded me of Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey as Lady Vi ...more
Tia Bach
Jan 20, 2013 Tia Bach rated it really liked it
Nothing is sweeter than a story with enchanting characters who reach through the pages and welcome you to their lives. In The Woman from Paris, the characters and scenery sweep you into the story of the Framptoms. When Lord Frampton dies in a tragic accident, his family is fragile and reeling from loss. In walks Phaedra, a beautiful woman who claims to be his illegitimate daughter.

When the will is read, Phaedra is included in a very intimate way--she inherits the family jewels. Slowly, the famil
Yeny
Dec 30, 2013 Yeny rated it it was ok
The Woman From Paris
The book blurb grabbed my attention – aristocrats and family secrets. (I was still under the influence of Dowton Abbey.) So I decided to read the book.

The story was promising in the beginning. The Frampton family was shocked by the death of the head of the family and, very soon, the family discovered another shocking secret – Phaedra Chancellor.

Then, I lost interest. I failed to connect to most of the characters. Antoinette’s decision to embrace Phaedra as her daughter seeme
JoAnne Pulcino
Mar 03, 2013 JoAnne Pulcino rated it liked it
THE WOMAN FROM PARIS

Santa Montefiore

Having read several of Ms. Montefiore lovely romantic family novels, I was sure that this would be just as good. I wasn't disappointed, despite her tendency to fall in love with her own words and descriptions.

Lord Frampton dies in a skiing accident. He leaves the Frampton sapphires to a young woman who shocks the family at his funeral, claiming to be his illegitimate daughter.

Despite the anger, shock and outrage the young woman manages to charm and capture the
Angela Britnell
Jul 25, 2013 Angela Britnell rated it liked it
I started off really liking this story but became less enamored as it progressed. Despite the title it's set primarily in England at Lord Frampton's country estate. After his sudden death a young woman appears at his funeral claiming to be his illegitimate daughter. The reactions of his family are mixed but Phaedra's soon invited to become part of the family. The widow, after her initial shock, welcomes her as a daughter with what struck me as unnatural speed. Phaedra and the eldest son, David, ...more
Clare
Jul 07, 2014 Clare rated it it was ok
Super predictable. I mean, all us readers knew the truth (about soooo many things, Julius, Dr, Phaedra) and we were just waiting for the characters in the book to catch on.

And what about the "ick! factor"? Never addressed by the main characters.

Despite a compliment from Julian Fellowes, this reminded me of early Penny Vincenzi, whom I used to devour.

Skip unless you really your sopa opera.
Jana Shepard
The story could've moved along at a much faster pace. I enjoyed the overall plot yet it just seemed to take entirely too long to get to the good stuff! Could've been dramatically shortened to keep my attention. I was sick which is the only reason the read went fast. Normally this would've taken me weeks to get through. Sometimes authors need to get to the point!!
Linda
Feb 26, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Brit fans, chick lit fans, folks on vacation
This is a nice escapism read for Brit lovers. The estate where the Framptons live is almost alive in its descriptions. The family is interesting and the characters likeable, for the most part.
Anyone paying attention can figure out the plot surprise by the time they are halfway through the book. And further, anyone can predict the ending even if they are not paying attention, all tied up in a happy pink bow. I found the Phaedra/David relationship sort of creepy, first as a sort of incestuous one
Marie-José
Dec 15, 2015 Marie-José rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read full of family values, loving, making mistakes, letting go, moving on etc
Julie Barrett
Jan 22, 2016 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
The woman from Paris by Montefiore_ Santa
David's father is dead from a ski accident and now at the funeral he meets his fathers illegitimate daughter who has been left much, rather than his wife and kids.
The family want to welcome the newcomer to their estate. She has also been provided for but she's a photographer and outdoorsy person like her father. One sister in law goes through the purse and finds out some info from the cell phone and she thinks the woman is up to no good and may not be wh
Dorothy
Aug 05, 2015 Dorothy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Isn't it amazing how many rich men manage to have secret lives, which emerge only when they die unexpectedly? It must be common,for it's the source of so many Romance plots - and here's another one.

The fact that it's a well-worn premise isn't bad in itself - after all, they say there ARE no new plots left - but if you're going to use an old idea, then you need to try to inject some freshness into it. This book didn't, to the point where I know exactly what the ending will be, and I'm not even fi
Tony Parsons
Sep 27, 2014 Tony Parsons rated it it was amazing
Set in Fairfield Park George Frampton (dad) has died in a mountain climbing accident. His wife Antoinette Frampton (mum), David Frampton (son), Joshua Frampton (son; Josh), Roberta Frampton (wife), Amber Frampton (daughter), Tom Frampton (son), Dowager Lady Margaret Frampton (grandmother; mother-in-law), Julius Beecher (attorney), & many others attend his funeral presided over by Reverend Joseph Morley & the reception/dinner.

Low & behold a mysterious beautiful woman Phaedra Chancell
Tijuana Local
Había descubierto que todas las cosas llegan tarde o temprano a su fin: los momentos, las amistades, la vida. Nada es para siempre – Santa Montefiore.

El mundo de Antoinette Frampton se desmorona tras la trágica muerte de su marido George, el hombre al que ha amado toda su vida. Él era su roca, su sostén, la persona a la que acudía en busca de amor y apoyo, además de ser el padre de sus tres hijos y la persona a la que mejor conocía… O al menos eso creía hasta el día de su funeral, cuando una mis
Kristien Marquet
Zo vreselijk voorspelbaar...
Annette Holwill
A predictable holiday read worth it for the 50p I paid for from the Combe Florey book mart
Bev Taylor
Oct 16, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
this is actually titled the summer house as well - just to confuse u!

antoinette's world has fallen apart. her husband has died in a ski-ing accident aged 58. he was everything to her and she knew him better than she knew herself - or so she thought

then at the funeral a girl called phaedra appears and says she is george's daughter - conceived before he met his wife he has also remembered her in his will

h/e is this the true story ?

it is quite obvious before u r ha;f way thru what the real truth
Victoria
Aug 29, 2012 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was plesant enough but it didnt have the same spark as her others. It was a deep and emotional read to begin with but Phaedra (one of the main characters) got on my nerves a bit with her constant holier than thou, self help attitude. Nice enough to read on a long train journey but far not my favourite of hers.
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN should be updated to reflect new title/cover art 2 23 Jun 25, 2016 01:46AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Woman From Paris 1 2 Jun 03, 2013 06:43AM
  • The House of Dust and Dreams
  • Finding Mr. Rochester
  • My Husband Next Door
  • A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)
  • A Cornish Affair
  • The Hidden Cottage
  • Love from Paris
  • The Woman Who Fell in Love for a Week
  • Rode sneeuw in december
  • Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show (A Novel of Ireland, #1)
  • Christmas on Primrose Hill
  • Changing Grooms
Born in England in 1970 Santa Montefiore grew up on a farm in Hampshire and was educated at Sherborne School for Girls. She read Spanish and Italian at Exeter University and spent much of the 90s in Buenos Aires, where her mother grew up. She converted to Judaism in 1998 and married historian Simon Sebag Montefiore in the Liberal Jewish Synagogue in London. They live with their two children, Lily ...more
More about Santa Montefiore...