Start by marking “Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story” as Want to Read:
Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story

Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story (Mousetronaut)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  444 ratings  ·  86 reviews
A heartwarming picture book tale of the power of the small, from bestselling author and retired NASA astronaut Commander Mark Kelly.

Astronaut Mark Kelly flew with “mice-tronauts” on his first spaceflight aboard space shuttle Endeavour in 2001. Mousetronaut tells the story of a small mouse that wants nothing more than to travel to outer space. The little
Published October 9th 2012 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published October 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mousetronaut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mousetronaut

The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezAstronaut Handbook by Meghan MccarthyI Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron BartonMoonshot by Brian FlocaIf You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNulty
Best Space Books For Kids
33rd out of 36 books — 53 voters
Gulp by Mary RoachI Am Malala by Malala YousafzaiThe Psychopath Test by Jon RonsonSalt Sugar Fat by Michael MossZealot by Reza Aslan
The Colbert Report and The Daily Show
103rd out of 127 books — 131 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana Stabenow
The sweetest little picture book, about Meteor the Mouse, one of a rodent team of, uh, mission specialists on board a space shuttle mission who saves the day. At the end Kelly includes an afterword with a brief history of NASA and lots of fun details about travel in space.

During my first flight in 2001, there were eighteen mice on board. All of them, with one exception, clung to inside of the mesh during the entire mission. One mouse, smaller than the rest, seemed to enjoy the experience and eff
Claire Rozint
This book was really cute. This book was slightly true slightly fiction. I loved how it used similar terminology used in astronomy. I also liked the illustrations were really good as well. The text was big and easy to read.
Adrienne

Mousetronaut
A Review
------------

Kids love space.

Kids love animals.

In Mousestronaut, the reader gets both!

description

And kids everywhere can rejoice!

Here are three reasons why I would recommend the book:

1.) It contains an actual bibliography and a short information section about space. Out of this world!

description

2.) It is easy to integrate into lots of different types of lessons.

description

3.) It is written by an actual astronaut who went on a shuttle mission with actual mice.

description

Bottom Line
This is a finely-detailed/illust
Angela
Meteor is one of 18 mice that were part of a NASA space program. Author Mark Kelley was part of the shuttle Endeavor and this is his first children's book. The illustrations are really so lovely!

This is the story of Meteor and how he worked just a little harder to overcome his size limitations and make it onto the the space shuttle. This story gives readers some (mostly true) info about the mice who were involved in the space/animal programs and what the experiences of being in space are like.
Rachel
Meteor is part of a group of mice training to go in space with the astronauts. No one thinks Meteor will get picked because he is so small. But he does. When they first breach the earth's atmosphere, the other mice are scared of the weightlessness of space, but not Meteor. He relished it. One day, an astronaut notices the control panel key is stuck between monitors. All the astronauts try to get it out, but then Meteor says the day and everyone congratulates him. He truly is a Mousetronaut! Reco ...more
Alisha Ptacek
Personal Reaction-
This book is really cute and the story is fun. The book does not contain very strong characters, but it would be good to use before a lesson about space. In the back of the book there is an informational section that gives some facts about space travel and the inspiration for Mousetronaut.

Purposes:
Read aloud to Kindergarten to 3rd grade students for several purposes:
This book would be good to read to students before starting a lesson on space. The book is fairly insightful on d
Joan
Moustronaut, by Mark Kelly,2013,

This is a very special book by an unusual author. When you look at the cover, do you think it is fiction or nonfiction? What things about the picture must be fiction? This book was written by Mark Kelly who was really in the USA Navy and he was on the final mission of the Endeavour space shuttle. This is his first children's book and it has many real facts from astronauts.

This book about a tiny mouse displaying bravery, when those around him are scared, help to sh
Deann
Today we are going to read a book by an astronaut! Looking at the cover do you think this book is fiction (make believe) or nonfiction (true)? Why do you think that? Our book is called Mousetronaut by Astronaut Mark Kelly. Tell your partner what you think this book is about. What were some of your ideas. Do you think that mice really went to space? Let’s read our book and see if our predictions about the story were correct. When we are done reading the story this book has a really cool part call ...more
Diane
The smallest of all the mice is picked as one of the six mice that will go along on a space mission. Meteor is the only mouse that seems to enjoy his weightlessness and he even helps to save the mission by retrieving key that has fallen into a crack.

The story was cute, but I was more interested in the author's note at the end that actually talked about the author's experiences in space. It also outlined the use of animals throughout the beginning of the space program and has a nice bibliography
Kimberly
Great read aloud. My kindergartners loved it!
Jamie Short
1. What would it be like to be an astronaut? How would you feel flying into space and being weightless? How would you feel if something went wrong and didn’t think it could be fixed? What if someone or something you didn’t think could help, could? In “Mousetronaut” written by actual astronaut Mark Kelly and illustrated by C.F. Payne, Meteor is the smallest mouse. He trains with bigger and stronger mice to go along on the space shuttle. His hard work is noticed, even though he is the smallest, an ...more
Nancy
Based partially on a real NASA mission, Mark Kelly tells the story of a small mouse sent up in the space shuttle.

Just because you are the smallest of all the mice does not mean that your hard work will not be noticed, so when Meteor is chosen he relishes his mission. While the other larger mice are scared, Meteor loves the weightlessness and his fellow astronauts.

As the astronauts are busy with their tasks during the flight, Meteor wonders what he can do to help.

Then the time comes, the crew enc
Valerie
Beautifully illustrated story perfect for the aspiring astronaut

A space mission is getting ready to leave, and everyone is excited. Along with all the astronauts, six mice will get to go on the mission as well. Meteor is the smallest of the mice, and he really wants to go on the mission so he has been working really hard. When it is time to decide, five of the biggest and strongest mice are chosen, but because of his hard work so is Meteor.

During the space mission the key to the control panel g
Stephanie Croaning
This is a cute story about an underdog mouse becoming a hero when he is chosen to go on the space shuttle. The hero is adorable and the story is written by astronaut Mark Kelly, so there is much to appeal to children. I felt the story was rather bland, but really did like Afterward that contained a lot of really interesting facts about the U.S. space program. This book is a YHBA picture book nominee for 2014-2015. Three out of five stars.
Barbara
I am not a fan of mice but this was a cute story. The idea of "saving the day" is a big theme for kids and they'll like that a mouse was the one who helped make the space mission a success. The most interesting part of the book came at the end when Kelly explained the significance of the story and gave a brief background on space travel. I loved reading about Ham the chimp - I think that's another picture book story in the making!
Scott Pagel
I suppose many (most?) children will not read the afterword but for me, the afterword makes this book stand out from other picture books. In it, the author shares about which part of the tale is the "partially true" part and then continues on to give a simple but strong overview of manned and unmanned space flight and animals that have gone into space.
mg
Liz Todd
So cool that this is based on a true story. Kids will love this story about the smallest mouse being a hero.. and they will love hearing the first paragraph of the epilogue that explains which part of the story was true. An adorable story about a mouse that saves the day!
Gary
Really cool book about space missions. Introduced the kids during the storytelling session about space, astronauts, what they do, how they travel and so on. Great learning point for the kids to know that they can still be useful even though they are small in size!
Quinten Boyd
This picture book follows the story of Meteor the mouse and his experience in space. Meteor isn't the biggest or strongest mouse in the NASA training program, but that just makes him work even harder. His efforts are rewarded when the Shuttle Commander chooses him to go into space! Meteor enjoys his time in space, but doesn't have anything to do - until a key to the control panel gets stuck and Meteor is the only one that can help!

I enjoyed the creativity of the story and large, detailed illust
John Yelverton
Whereas this was not a bad story, it wasn't a good one either. There's no introduction to the characters, no building of suspense, and the ending is incredibly abrupt. The artwork is good, but I don't see this being a children's classic.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
What do you get when you add a cute little mouse to a (partially) true story about space travel? You get a winning picture book, that's what! Meteor (the mouse) journeys with his fellow mice friends aboard the space shuttle. And he finds that he loves the feeling of weightlessness! Meteor is smaller than the rest of the mice, so he can fit into tight spaces. It's this talent that enables him to save the day. Read more about his adventures and what life is like on a space shuttle, in this great b ...more
Rainey
What a lively tale for young space enthusiasts! Kelly's "(partially) true story" of a mouse on board his shuttle reminds readers that even the smallest and quietest of us can be truly extraordinary.
Jodie
I was, and still am, a big NASA nut. I simply loved this story and the illustrations are awesome! I can't wait to share this with my nephew, he's gonna love it.
Julie
E says, "I likes it because its funny. And the story made me feel weightless. My favorite character was Moustronaut because he pays the most attention. I liked all of the characters. I would say that I would recommend this book to a lot of other people. I think it would be good for first graders also."

This is a picture book. If your child has been reading chapter books for awhile then I would not recommend this book. However, if they have recently made the transition then I think this would stil
Rachel
Fun part true part fiction story, the authors note at the end gives a very good personal view of what its like to be in space.
Alyssa Calhoun
A cute read and the students had lots of questions about which parts were true and about animals going into space.
Science Fiction-Picture Book-2012

This was a cute story about a mouse helping astronauts in space.
Casey
I love the illustrations! I might have liked a bit more suspense, but it is a fun little book.
Marcia
I like this guy, just based on his love for his wife Gabby Gifford. He's an astronaut, not an author, but the story is good enough. Animals have been aboard many space flights and this story of the little mouse who could is based on an actual mouse. The strength of the book, though, is in the very detailed author notes, which only an astronaut who has been in space could offer. Interesting stuff that kids will love--how do you eat, sleep, pee in space?
The illustrations get a nod for including a
  • Nightsong
  • Rosie Sprout's Time to Shine
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear

Mousetronaut (2 books)
  • Mousetronaut Goes to Mars
Mousetronaut Goes to Mars Astrotwins -- Project Blastoff Foucault's History of Sexuality Volume I, the Will to Knowledge Mousetronaut Goes to Mars: with audio recording (Paula Wiseman Books) A Powerful Presence - The Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce and the History of Birmingham