Start by marking “Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story” as Want to Read:
Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story

Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story (Mousetronaut)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  73 reviews
A heartwarming picture book tale of the power of the small, from bestselling author and retired NASA astronaut Commander Mark Kelly.

Astronaut Mark Kelly flew with “mice-tronauts” on his first spaceflight aboard space shuttle Endeavour in 2001. Mousetronaut tells the story of a small mouse that wants nothing more than to travel to outer space. The little...more
Published October 9th 2012 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published October 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mousetronaut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mousetronaut

The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezI Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron BartonIf You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNultyAstronaut Handbook by Meghan MccarthyReaching for the Moon by Buzz Aldrin
Best Space Books For Kids
30th out of 33 books — 42 voters
Gulp by Mary RoachThe Psychopath Test by Jon RonsonSalt Sugar Fat by Michael MossI Am Malala by Malala YousafzaiZealot by Reza Aslan
The Colbert Report and The Daily Show
102nd out of 127 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana Stabenow
The sweetest little picture book, about Meteor the Mouse, one of a rodent team of, uh, mission specialists on board a space shuttle mission who saves the day. At the end Kelly includes an afterword with a brief history of NASA and lots of fun details about travel in space.

During my first flight in 2001, there were eighteen mice on board. All of them, with one exception, clung to inside of the mesh during the entire mission. One mouse, smaller than the rest, seemed to enjoy the experience and eff...more
Adrienne

Mousetronaut
A Review
------------

Kids love space.

Kids love animals.

In Mousestronaut, the reader gets both!

description

And kids everywhere can rejoice!

Here are three reasons why I would recommend the book:

1.) It contains an actual bibliography and a short information section about space. Out of this world!

description

2.) It is easy to integrate into lots of different types of lessons.

description

3.) It is written by an actual astronaut who went on a shuttle mission with actual mice.

description

Bottom Line
This is a finely-detailed/illust...more
Joan
Moustronaut, by Mark Kelly,2013,

This is a very special book by an unusual author. When you look at the cover, do you think it is fiction or nonfiction? What things about the picture must be fiction? This book was written by Mark Kelly who was really in the USA Navy and he was on the final mission of the Endeavour space shuttle. This is his first children's book and it has many real facts from astronauts.

This book about a tiny mouse displaying bravery, when those around him are scared, help to sh...more
Diane
The smallest of all the mice is picked as one of the six mice that will go along on a space mission. Meteor is the only mouse that seems to enjoy his weightlessness and he even helps to save the mission by retrieving key that has fallen into a crack.

The story was cute, but I was more interested in the author's note at the end that actually talked about the author's experiences in space. It also outlined the use of animals throughout the beginning of the space program and has a nice bibliography...more
Kimberly
Great read aloud. My kindergartners loved it!
Jamie Short
1. What would it be like to be an astronaut? How would you feel flying into space and being weightless? How would you feel if something went wrong and didn’t think it could be fixed? What if someone or something you didn’t think could help, could? In “Mousetronaut” written by actual astronaut Mark Kelly and illustrated by C.F. Payne, Meteor is the smallest mouse. He trains with bigger and stronger mice to go along on the space shuttle. His hard work is noticed, even though he is the smallest, an...more
Nancy
Based partially on a real NASA mission, Mark Kelly tells the story of a small mouse sent up in the space shuttle.

Just because you are the smallest of all the mice does not mean that your hard work will not be noticed, so when Meteor is chosen he relishes his mission. While the other larger mice are scared, Meteor loves the weightlessness and his fellow astronauts.

As the astronauts are busy with their tasks during the flight, Meteor wonders what he can do to help.

Then the time comes, the crew enc...more
Valerie
Beautifully illustrated story perfect for the aspiring astronaut

A space mission is getting ready to leave, and everyone is excited. Along with all the astronauts, six mice will get to go on the mission as well. Meteor is the smallest of the mice, and he really wants to go on the mission so he has been working really hard. When it is time to decide, five of the biggest and strongest mice are chosen, but because of his hard work so is Meteor.

During the space mission the key to the control panel g...more
Stephanie Croaning
This is a cute story about an underdog mouse becoming a hero when he is chosen to go on the space shuttle. The hero is adorable and the story is written by astronaut Mark Kelly, so there is much to appeal to children. I felt the story was rather bland, but really did like Afterward that contained a lot of really interesting facts about the U.S. space program. This book is a YHBA picture book nominee for 2014-2015. Three out of five stars.
Scott Pagel
I suppose many (most?) children will not read the afterword but for me, the afterword makes this book stand out from other picture books. In it, the author shares about which part of the tale is the "partially true" part and then continues on to give a simple but strong overview of manned and unmanned space flight and animals that have gone into space.
mg
Liz Todd
So cool that this is based on a true story. Kids will love this story about the smallest mouse being a hero.. and they will love hearing the first paragraph of the epilogue that explains which part of the story was true. An adorable story about a mouse that saves the day!
Gary
Really cool book about space missions. Introduced the kids during the storytelling session about space, astronauts, what they do, how they travel and so on. Great learning point for the kids to know that they can still be useful even though they are small in size!
Quinten Boyd
This picture book follows the story of Meteor the mouse and his experience in space. Meteor isn't the biggest or strongest mouse in the NASA training program, but that just makes him work even harder. His efforts are rewarded when the Shuttle Commander chooses him to go into space! Meteor enjoys his time in space, but doesn't have anything to do - until a key to the control panel gets stuck and Meteor is the only one that can help!

I enjoyed the creativity of the story and large, detailed illust...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
What do you get when you add a cute little mouse to a (partially) true story about space travel? You get a winning picture book, that's what! Meteor (the mouse) journeys with his fellow mice friends aboard the space shuttle. And he finds that he loves the feeling of weightlessness! Meteor is smaller than the rest of the mice, so he can fit into tight spaces. It's this talent that enables him to save the day. Read more about his adventures and what life is like on a space shuttle, in this great b...more
Rainey
What a lively tale for young space enthusiasts! Kelly's "(partially) true story" of a mouse on board his shuttle reminds readers that even the smallest and quietest of us can be truly extraordinary.
Julie
E says, "I likes it because its funny. And the story made me feel weightless. My favorite character was Moustronaut because he pays the most attention. I liked all of the characters. I would say that I would recommend this book to a lot of other people. I think it would be good for first graders also."

This is a picture book. If your child has been reading chapter books for awhile then I would not recommend this book. However, if they have recently made the transition then I think this would stil...more
Alyssa Calhoun
A cute read and the students had lots of questions about which parts were true and about animals going into space.
Casey
I love the illustrations! I might have liked a bit more suspense, but it is a fun little book.
Marcia
I like this guy, just based on his love for his wife Gabby Gifford. He's an astronaut, not an author, but the story is good enough. Animals have been aboard many space flights and this story of the little mouse who could is based on an actual mouse. The strength of the book, though, is in the very detailed author notes, which only an astronaut who has been in space could offer. Interesting stuff that kids will love--how do you eat, sleep, pee in space?
The illustrations get a nod for including a...more
Lauren
Mouse gets prepared for his space adventure in this book on a real NASA mission. The illustrations in this book are just fantastic making you feel like you are actually the one going into space. Mouse works very hard to prove himself that he can go to space and when he finally gets chosen to do the mission he is so proud! Up in space he and the astronauts are doing their mission when disaster strikes and the smallest member of the team, Mouse, has to save the day! Children will love to learn how...more
Mark Ratterman
Dec 01, 2012 Mark Ratterman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is my first recent children's book. I smiled all the way through.

I met Mark Kelly August 2010 when I started covering NASA Missions at Kennedy Space Center for the podcast "Talking Space". My respect for him has increased steadily from day 1.

The story is fun and inspiring and the illustrations are full of detail. This book needs to be read to and by, both children and adults who love to dream. I don't mean dream while you sleep but dream about the impossible things that maybe, just maybe ca...more
Carolanne
The afterword by astronaut, Mark Kelly, is fascinating.
Elyce
Primary Golden Sower, 2014-2015.
Eyehavenofilter
This is so cleverly illustrated...cute little mouse....and amazing faces on the people as well... Such attention to detail. I loved the whole concept of the mice doing pull-ups... Very funny and of course our littlest hero Meteor gets chosen to go into space, even though no one thinks he's ready....just the expression on the faces of the mice in reaction to the absence of gravity...almost made me pee I laughed so hard. But this is a " hero saves the day" story and kids will love it...almost as m...more
Emerson
I saw Mark Kelly interviewed on Piers Morgan and then stumbled upon his new book at the library. Mark Kelly told the story about the mice that went onboard the NASA missions and this book attempts to capture a fictional modification of the one mouse who wasn't afraid of the mission. He becomes a hero on this mission and saves the day retrieving a key that the astronauts are too big to retrieve. It was okay, interesting drawings. Emerson liked it mostly because of the space shuttle imagery.
Young Mensans
“Mousetronaut” is a book about a mouse called Meteor. The mouse is smaller than the other mice. He gets to go up in the space shuttle and helps the astronauts in the space shuttle.

I think other kids would enjoy this book because it is about space shuttles. Other kids would like space shuttles.

My favorite part was when Meteor gets to come out of his cage and gets a tour of the space shuttle.

Review by Young Mensan Bram P., age 4
Magila
2.5

I love space. And NASA. And astronauts. But this book was just not that good. The art was cute, but bleh. The story was also bleh.

It's a nice story to encourage children. In particular small ones, since it was the small mouse that was the focus of the story. However, with so many great picture books out there, I was sad this was NASA's primary representation these days.

Grab it at a library.
Liesl
The detailed illustrations really make this unique story come to life. I appreciate the afterward that sheds light on the inspiration for the book. While the language is a little advanced, Kelly nicely sums up the United States space program and the everyday experiences of an astronaut for curious readers. The bibliography and internet resources are wonderful inclusions as well.
Ariel Cummins
Pretty mediocre picture book based on a real event. I thought that the story was a little too Just The Facts for my taste, and the plot was pretty much "meh"'

The illustrations just left me kind of dry - they were too crammed full of textures and shading.

Cool that this book is written by a real astronaut, but I wouldn't recommend it to any but the most space-obsessed kiddos.
  • Nightsong
  • Dog in Charge
  • Little Tug
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Dinosaur Kisses
Mousetronaut Goes to Mars MOUSETRONAUT By Astronaut Mark Kelly (Mousetronaut) Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story (with audio recording) (Paula Wiseman Books) Foucault's History of Sexuality Volume I, the Will to Knowledge Mousetronaut Goes to Mars: with audio recording (Paula Wiseman Books)